Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,745 members, 7,809,842 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:51 PM

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! - Agriculture (474) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! (1491288 Views)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Hatchery Business !!! / Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business / Catfish Farmers Lets Talk About Catfish Smoking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (471) (472) (473) (474) (475) (476) (477) ... (523) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Youwin1(m): 12:25pm On Apr 01, 2019
Good morning great minds,

I am desperately in need of help concerning my farm.
I stocked 6300 fish in my concrete pond about two weeks ago, I put them all in a pond, hoping to sort them after four weeks into another pond. At about a week, i noticed the catfish started dying as i noticed they were hanging. The mortality is over 200 already. Please, i need an advise on what to do. I treated them with tetracyline, it only help for few days. Yesterday when i changed the water, I counted over fifty (50) mortality. Please, help save my stock.
So far, it is more than 300 mortality in two weeks.
when i contacted the seller, i was told it is as result of stress and change of environment, as the were using borehole water before. I pump water from a running stream to the pond.
This morning I notice some of them still hanging. Please what can I do?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by dukeposer1(m): 2:24pm On Apr 03, 2019
Youwin1:

I stocked 6300 fish in my concrete pond about two weeks ago, I put them all in a pond, hoping to sort them after four weeks into another pond. At about a week, i noticed the catfish started dying as i noticed they were hanging. The mortality is over 200 already. Please, i need an advise on what to do. I treated them with tetracyline, it only help for few days. Yesterday when i changed the water, I counted over fifty (50) mortality. Please, help save my stock.
when i contacted the seller, i was told it is as result of stress and change of environment, as the were using borehole water before. I pump water from a running stream to the pond.

Firstly, STOP FEEDING!
They have "swim bladder disease" which coud be caused by overfeeding, low oxygen in water, too much nitrate in water etc..
Drain the water and add fresh water (don't fill up the pond), add a "LITTLE" salt, and starve them for 48hrs. That should take care of it. Cheers!

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Fish4wealth: 9:18pm On Apr 03, 2019
If i read your post right....you are pumping directly from a stream into a concrete pond containing fingerlings..

At what rate is the water supplying
What is the nature of the stream in terms of physico/chemical properties....

I think you started too high by stocking that much without proper consultation and pilot experiment

Youwin1:

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by globalfanz(m): 5:30am On Apr 04, 2019
I had this same experience when I was using stream. My fish were dying in their numbers whenever I supply them water through the stream. I tried the salt thing but to no avail. Infact there was a time the salt became a problem and was peeling their bodies. I solved the problem permanently by pumping water to them from my borehole. The first day I pumped borehole water to them, it was as if they were relieved of a very big stress. All were happy and swimming smart.

Youwin1:

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Nwandol: 12:53pm On Apr 05, 2019
Youwin1:

There are many factors that could be causing mortality in your fish farm. 1. I think they are overcrowded 2. Overfeeding, overfeeding can kill fish ooo 3. Infection 4. Water source, in your case the stream water might be too harsh for them. Not enough oxygen so they collapse and die. 5. Cannibalism, due to the overcrowedness, fishes tend to cannibalize them selves. But in your case here I think its the water cos you mention that they hang, hanging is a sign that there is little or no oxygen in the water. So may be you should change your water source so the pH of the water can balance fine
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 2:16pm On Apr 09, 2019
Youwin1:

What is the situation of things currently in your farm?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by bilag17(m): 2:35pm On Apr 09, 2019
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Preshivano01(m): 5:16pm On Apr 09, 2019
urgently in need of a plastic pond... Anyone in Benin know someone or have for sale??...here is my mail preciousinegbenehi@gmail.com
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by wisefizz(m): 6:06pm On Apr 11, 2019
Healthy, fresh and fast growing Dutch Clarias juveniles are available.... Call or whatsapp 07031039849, 09069137690 to chip in your orders...
(Akanjii Farms )
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Physco4221: 6:34pm On Apr 11, 2019
Please,my fries are not swimming actively and look sick.please what curative treatment can I use.they clocked 2 weeks today
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by PHOTSEE(m): 4:51pm On Apr 12, 2019
Physco4221:
Please,my fries are not swimming actively and look sick.please what curative treatment can I use.they clocked 2 weeks today
Are you observing in and out flow of water? check the water temperture for day and night. and feed them lightly.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by KCoker(m): 11:14pm On Apr 12, 2019
Hello everyone,
If you are in need of catfish broodstock for hatching, Kindly contact me.

DETAILS AS AT 12/APRIL/19
Specie - Clarias G. (Male & Female)
Weight - 2-3kg
Age - 12months, 16mnths, 18Months
Price - N2000/Kg
Location- Agege
Phone- 08105345966

3 different batches for u to pick a male and a female (to avoid inbreeding).
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by oluyemioy(m): 10:55pm On Apr 13, 2019
CATFISH FOR SALE.

3 tonnes of catfish for sale; average weight is 1.2kg

@

OLUYEMI FARMS

Sales depot:
127 AKARIGBO STREET, BESIDE FIRST BANK, IJOKU, SAGAMU.

Fish Farm:
BEHIND RUBBER PLANTATION,
IKENNE.

Poultry & Piggery Farm:
NO 1 OLUYEMI LANE, ODOYANGUNSEN, VIA IDI SCALE, ATIKORI, IJEBU IGBO.

�������
[Eggs, Spent layers, Catfish, Pigs, Cassava & Palm tree]
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Nobody: 8:45am On Apr 15, 2019
Guys i am working on a device that allows fish farmers to monitor the water parameters when transporting fingerlings on their mobile phone .parameters like temperature and water hardness.my device also contains an aerator pump.my device helps to notify farmers about water parameters for them to take action.do you think nigerian fish farmers need this device
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by oluyemioy(m): 9:42pm On Apr 15, 2019
Gadget to monitor water parameters.

It's a good idea. There are many educated fish farmers in Nigeria who are likely going to embrace the idea.

However the price should be reasonable. You should also ensure that it has been tested and approved by experienced fish farmers before selling the gadget into the open market.

OLUYEMI FARMS. 08055464705
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Nobody: 8:06am On Apr 16, 2019
It costs less than #3000.what do u have to say about price

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by dradejosh: 12:48pm On Apr 17, 2019
2500 Post Fingerlings For Sale In Edo State
Please Call +2348071128422
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by oluyemioy(m): 11:59pm On Apr 18, 2019
Gadget to monitor water parameters.

Price being N3,000 is okay.

OLUYEMI FARMS 08055464705
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by survival50: 11:52am On Apr 19, 2019
Happy Good Friday to you all.... Easter Awoooooooooooooooof is still on!!!
������������������ Kindly follow @survivalpoultrycage on instagram and tag 5 poultry farmers... and get a chance to win any of our gift.

1)A pack of automatic nipple drinkers
2) complete pack of automatic bell drinker
3) 2 pvc cone type feeders

Winners will be picked randomly and announce on 23April

Like, comment, share and follow us: Survival Poultry Farm Services
| Facebook | LinkedIn | Instagram | Nairaland |

You can whatsap or call � 07062252747 ☎️07054283960 for more enquiries.

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Tunmich: 1:28pm On Apr 20, 2019
I need medium size catfish between 300grams & 600grams around Agbara axis. If available, kindly contact me on whatsapp 08083853059 or call 08055919382. Thank you.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Tunmich: 10:27pm On Apr 20, 2019

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by haywire1: 8:32am On Apr 21, 2019
haywire1:
You can know the acidic, alkalinity, temperature, General hardness, oxygen level of your pond water with water testing kit below

pH meter - N8,000
TDS (total dissolve solid) + Temperature Meter — N5,500
pH + Temperature meter — N10,000

Available for pick up/ Nationwide delivery

Contact us now

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by dakem: 1:52pm On Apr 23, 2019
Melange catfish 300-350g is available for sale in ota ogun state. 520 per kg. 07062784166
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Kayouzka(m): 8:45pm On Apr 23, 2019
Land suitable for fish farming for sale at eyita ojokoro ikorodu Lagos land close to ikorodu carrage and Sabo market
At a valley
Suitable for earthen fish farming
Half plot
Price; #800,000
Call. 08182676988
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by oluyemioy(m): 11:18pm On Apr 23, 2019
Catfish for sale.

Average weight is 1.2kg

@

OLUYEMI FARMS
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by funso111: 5:32pm On Apr 24, 2019
Pls I need a good active catfish WhatsApp group.. I am funso.my contact is 07038307221
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by nukubii: 2:44pm On Apr 25, 2019
robonski15:

You are very much welcome sir, fish seed price differ from state to state and also depends on the seller.. on the average #10 to #15..

I need a fairly used smoking Klin, has to be in good condition and should have a capacity for 300kg catfish. If you have one and intrested I selling please contact me on 08023880808
Location is lagos.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by countryfive: 8:50pm On Apr 27, 2019
Catfish for sale
From 500g - 1.5kg
Total weight - 200kg Worth of catfish
@ 700per kg .
Location = Imo state
Interested persons should pls call
08149555760 , or 08079439807.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by safetim: 1:32am On Apr 29, 2019
Stephenos:

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Youwin1(m): 5:31pm On Apr 29, 2019
robonski15:

What is the situation of things currently in your farm?

Perfectly well now. Thanks to God.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by iyanoluwa: 7:52pm On Apr 29, 2019
Can you also train people around Lagos.

(1) (2) (3) ... (471) (472) (473) (474) (475) (476) (477) ... (523) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.