Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,167,342 members, 7,867,986 topics. Date: Saturday, 22 June 2024 at 08:24 AM

South Africa Vs Nigeria: Which Is More Influential In Africa? - Politics (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / South Africa Vs Nigeria: Which Is More Influential In Africa? (32673 Views)

We Will Arrest More Influential Nigerians In The Coming Weeks — EFCC Chairman / Saraki tells 3 Ex-Presidents, Influential Nigerians To Come To His Rescue-Nation / Xenophobia: South Africa Vs One Nigeria.[photo][viewer discretion] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: South Africa Vs Nigeria: Which Is More Influential In Africa? by Creatrixity(m): 4:47pm On Apr 04, 2013
AccessME: I can say in 100percent barground that south/africa is influencial or fast developin unlik nigeria which is underdevelopin..let me explain my reasons of sayin dis
1.south/afica gain history as the first africa country 2 host d world cup in africa
2.this same country hosted the afica nations cup within 2years of hostin d world cup (3)also in terms of infratructural develoment both in her educational sectors,roads,railway,electricity,tourism sports as prov above earlier also in economical aspect S/A is fast growing more than nigeria.i know and bliv with those point i hav point out wil mak u pple see reasons with me y i say south/africa is influencial than nigeria.the thing is that our leaders only partner with eachother wen it coms 2 embezzlement of nigeria money nd i no nd beliv the selfish interest that nigerians hav is what is downgradin d country...if not those atrosities our leader are exhibitin, nigeria should hav been better than this..i mean b among d best country in d world..not only in africa also in d whole wide world interms of the resources we are endowned with.
Are you ok?how can you say Nigeria is "under developing".Do you know what it is to "under develope"?..
Quick,examine life the way it was in the year 2000 and year 2013..how many airports where availaible?Power supply?quality of roads?please,if after your comparison,you still believe Nigeria is under developing,you need evaluation..
Re: South Africa Vs Nigeria: Which Is More Influential In Africa? by naptu2: 4:50pm On Apr 04, 2013
Political influence.

Nigeria was made an honorary member of the frontline states, although it had no border with South Africa. This was because of the enormous support Nigeria gave to South African and Namibian resistance movements and the frontline states themselves (i remember when kids were asked to contribute a small amount of money towards SWAPO's activities).

The government even gave Angola and Mozambique our MiG 17s (which we used during the civil war) and acquired MiG21s to replace them.
Re: South Africa Vs Nigeria: Which Is More Influential In Africa? by naptu2: 4:57pm On Apr 04, 2013
MiG 21 at Makurdi. They were acquired when Murtala gave our MiG 17s to Angola and Mozambique due to threats from South Africa.
Re: South Africa Vs Nigeria: Which Is More Influential In Africa? by naptu2: 5:03pm On Apr 04, 2013
Cultural influence

Pastor Chris Ojigbani (who is not one of the most influential Nigerian pastors) at the Ohene Djan Sports Stadium, Accra, Ghana.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ik-Yw0QiGO0
Re: South Africa Vs Nigeria: Which Is More Influential In Africa? by Nobody: 5:09pm On Apr 04, 2013
snoopy:

Stop giving blanket points, explain how! Before you answer my question with another question or another blanket answer as observed as a trend in your replies, I'ld give an example: If I were to say am the best architect in the world, what would be the proof? Because I've designed the chrysler building, the fallin water house, the guggenheim museum, the birds nest and the robbie house. Now shall we try again? smiley

-SA Constitution, thanks to Mandela, brought democracy and equality for all, it's wants only about benefiting the blacks ( including color reds and Indians) that had been deprived by past rules, but equal treatment of all, based on gender, race, sexual orientation, cultural beliefs...freedom of expression and association, it was more than brining black people out of colonization but reconciling every one with in South Africa.it influenced other countries to eliminate gender inequality and racial barriers.
Other African countries have incorporated this in their own legal systems....for instance, SA courts can use Namibian and Zimbabwean cases to make decisions in their own cases and vice versa... SADC countries have been developing their own law and the developments have been influenced by South African Law

-The famous quote by Mandela, "our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure..." influenced the rest of the world. Instead of blaming our inadequacy of past events, we have to stop feeling sorry for ourselves and become who we want to be.

- a lot of Africans have been able to make something of themselves while living in SA, better than they could have done in their own countries... Excluding those who still feel they world owes them free stuff and freedom to do as they please even if they are destroying other people's economies.

- they also proved that charity should begin at home. The government has managed to provide ACCESS to adequate housing, medical health care services, quality education. Whether a person decides to cease the opportunity or not, this has been made available for all people people within SA.
Re: South Africa Vs Nigeria: Which Is More Influential In Africa? by naptu2: 5:11pm On Apr 04, 2013
Cultural influence.

Fela Anikulapo-Kuti in Berlin, Germany. Fela influenced americans who created the Afro-Beat group Antibalas. He inspired Hugh Masekela who did a cover version of Fela's "Lady". Some even say that members of James Brown's band came to study Fela's technique at the "Shrine". Although he was not exactly good friends with Paul McCartney (the two had a clash when McCartney came to record an album in Lagos).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wz2jXHKa7TY
Re: South Africa Vs Nigeria: Which Is More Influential In Africa? by Nobody: 5:11pm On Apr 04, 2013
naptu2: Political influence.
The government even gave Angola and Mozambique our MiG 17s (which we used during the civil war) and acquired MiG21s to replace them.
how has this affected bad roads in Nigerian and the poor supply of water and electricity for the Nigerians undecided supplying military equipment to other countries yet u can't put Boko Horam under control in your own...
Re: South Africa Vs Nigeria: Which Is More Influential In Africa? by naptu2: 5:14pm On Apr 04, 2013
mondi_cheeks: how has this affected bad roads in Nigerian and the poor supply of water and electricity for the Nigerians undecided

What does that have to do with influencing other african countries Please read the thread topic again.
Re: South Africa Vs Nigeria: Which Is More Influential In Africa? by Nobody: 5:16pm On Apr 04, 2013
naptu2:

What does that have to do with influencing other african countries Please read the thread topic again.

how can u influence other African countries wen u can't provide basic needs for your own... Please use common sense
Re: South Africa Vs Nigeria: Which Is More Influential In Africa? by snoopy(m): 5:16pm On Apr 04, 2013
mondi_cheeks:
-SA Constitution, thanks to Mandela, brought democracy and equality for all, it's wants only about benefiting the blacks ( including color reds and Indians) that had been deprived by past rules, but equal treatment of all, based on gender, race, sexual orientation, cultural beliefs...freedom of expression and association, it was more than brining black people out of colonization but reconciling every one with in South Africa.it influenced other countries to eliminate gender inequality and racial barriers.
Other African countries have incorporated this in their own legal systems....for instance, SA courts can use Namibian and Zimbabwean cases to make decisions in their own cases and vice versa... SADC countries have been developing their own law and the developments have been influenced by South African Law

-The famous quote by Mandela, "our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure..." influenced the rest of the world. Instead of blaming our inadequacy of past events, we have to stop feeling sorry for ourselves and become who we want to be.

- a lot of Africans have been able to make something of themselves while living in SA, better than they could have done in their own countries... Excluding those who still feel they world owes them free stuff and freedom to do as they please even if they are destroying other people's economies.

- they also proved that charity should begin at home. The government has managed to provide ACCESS to adequate housing, medical health care services, quality education. Whether a person decides to cease the opportunity or not, this has been made available for all people people within SA.

Fair enough...took you quite a long time to think up too. Lol
Re: South Africa Vs Nigeria: Which Is More Influential In Africa? by Nobody: 5:18pm On Apr 04, 2013
snoopy:

Fair enough...took you quite a long time to think up too. Lol
politics isn't the only section on NL
Re: South Africa Vs Nigeria: Which Is More Influential In Africa? by naptu2: 5:20pm On Apr 04, 2013
mondi_cheeks: how can u influence other African countries wen u can't provide basic needs for your own... Please use common sense

Now you are even attempting to derail the thread. The thread starter was very clear. Which countries have influenced Africa the most, based on certain criteria he gave: - culturally, politically, economically, etc. Yet you've been trying to change the topic to "which country is better", a question that has nothing to do with the topic of this thread.

You ask how? Check my posts. I provided examples in culture, politics and the military. What examples have you provided?

By the way, sorry, insults don't work on me, they are completely meaningless. Stick to the topic.
Re: South Africa Vs Nigeria: Which Is More Influential In Africa? by naptu2: 5:27pm On Apr 04, 2013
Re: South Africa Vs Nigeria: Which Is More Influential In Africa? by Nobody: 5:33pm On Apr 04, 2013
naptu2:
. Yet you've been trying to change the topic to "which country is better", a question that has nothing to do with the topic of this thread.
By the way, sorry, insults don't work on me, they are completely meaningless. Stick to the topic.
if u have a thesaurus you would realise...that influential is the same powerful, dominant, strong, prominent..obviously it does include something being better than the other... Having influence over something is having effect on the way something works or develops (to make better). I don't understand how giving mozambique military equipment which it clearly doesn't need helps developing mozambique or the victims of Boko Horam back in Nigeria though undecided
Re: South Africa Vs Nigeria: Which Is More Influential In Africa? by Nobody: 5:35pm On Apr 04, 2013
Red-Light:

bill gate might not have the kinda power obama has but he is more influential than obama anywhere

Bill Gates is more Influential than Barack Obama shocked ......ahahaha.... So, If Obama and Bill Gates shd have conflict of Interest,Bill Gate would prevail ahahahahaha.......and una still dey refer peeps to secondary school ahahahaha grin
Re: South Africa Vs Nigeria: Which Is More Influential In Africa? by snoopy(m): 5:36pm On Apr 04, 2013
mondi_cheeks: how can u influence other African countries wen u can't provide basic needs for your own... Please use common sense

You are still not getting the critical point here miss! I have failed to understand why its so hard to understand a string of simple words clearly articulated! You don't have to be the richest or the best to be influential stop mixing them up!, I give you a critical example, a documentary aired on the BBC about 2 young men somewhere in Africa desperately poor with no means of livelyhood, everyday they go to refuse dumps to scavenge for food and other scraps they can get yet with all these challenges, they are still very organised, happy, cheerful and very optimistic about life that someday things will get better..a very emotional life story, and from the replies to that documentary, a lot of british folks identified with that situation that hey they have much more going on well for them yet they complain, and that changed their perception about their government not doing enough for them which sparked off the london riots then....those people were certainly influenced by the lives of those 2 young men in the documentary...the poorest man can influence the richest man with simple things such as his way of life! Get it? No? :-/
Re: South Africa Vs Nigeria: Which Is More Influential In Africa? by naptu2: 5:36pm On Apr 04, 2013
mondi_cheeks: if u have a thesaurus you would realise...that influential is the same powerful, dominant, strong, prominent..obviously it does include something being better than the other... Having influence over something is having effect on the way something works or develops (to make better). I don't understand how giving mozambique military equipment which it clearly doesn't need helps developing mozambique or the victims of Boko Horam back in Nigeria though undecided

Influence doesn't mean better. If i say i can influence my mom so that she'll cook rice for dinner, does that mean I am better than my mom Think!
Re: South Africa Vs Nigeria: Which Is More Influential In Africa? by naptu2: 5:40pm On Apr 04, 2013
(going to make me join her in derailing the thread). A few questions for you. . .

1) What's the difference between "influence" and "force".

2) When they say that Beyonce is the most influential female singer, does that mean that she is the best female singer?
Re: South Africa Vs Nigeria: Which Is More Influential In Africa? by Nobody: 5:50pm On Apr 04, 2013
snoopy:

You are still not getting the critical point here miss! I have failed to understand why its so hard to understand a string of simple words clearly articulated! You don't have to be the richest or the best to be influential stop mixing them up!, I give you a critical example, a documentary aired on the BBC about 2 young men somewhere in Africa desperately poor with no means of livelyhood, everyday they go to refuse dumps to scavenge for food and other scraps they can get yet with all these challenges, they are still very organised, happy, cheerful and very optimistic about life that someday things will get better..a very emotional life story, and from the replies to that documentary, a lot of british folks identified with that situation that hey they have much more going on well for them yet they complain, and that changed their perception about their government not doing enough for them which sparked off the london riots then....those people were certainly influenced by the lives of those 2 young men in the documentary...the poorest man can influence the richest man with simple things such as his way of life! Get it? No? :-/
is influential not the same as dominant, powerful and prominent... Please consult a thesaurus
Re: South Africa Vs Nigeria: Which Is More Influential In Africa? by naptu2: 5:54pm On Apr 04, 2013
Hahahahahahahahahahaha! Influence peddling = dominance peddling. cheesy grin

It's obvious where this is going. I'm out.
Re: South Africa Vs Nigeria: Which Is More Influential In Africa? by ouagadougou(m): 5:54pm On Apr 04, 2013
Prof Corruption: SA is more developed, Nigeria is more influential.
Influential in what? grin
Re: South Africa Vs Nigeria: Which Is More Influential In Africa? by misterh(m): 5:59pm On Apr 04, 2013
naptu2: (going to make me join her in derailing the thread). A few questions for you. . .

1) What's the difference between "influence" and "force".

2) When they say that Beyonce is the most influential female singer, does that mean that she is the best female singer?
From youe numerous posts, it is crystal clear that Nigeria is more influential than SA. @Mondi_cheeks, it is either you don't understand what this thread was created for or you are intentionally derailing it for want of facts. Sane people have exhaustively explained what the op meant but you are hell bent on trying to derail it. Provide genuine examples like naptu2 has been providing and then, we'll weigh the facts.
Re: South Africa Vs Nigeria: Which Is More Influential In Africa? by misterh(m): 6:00pm On Apr 04, 2013
ouagadougou:
Influential in what? grin
Go through the criteria the op listed and go through what people have contributed esp naptu2's.
Re: South Africa Vs Nigeria: Which Is More Influential In Africa? by Nobody: 6:07pm On Apr 04, 2013
misterh: From youe numerous posts, it is crystal clear that Nigeria is more influential than SA. @Mondi_cheeks, it is either you don't understand what this thread was created for or you are intentionally derailing it for want of facts. Sane people have exhaustively explained what the op meant but you are hell bent on trying to derail it. Provide genuine examples like naptu2 has been providing and then, we'll weigh the facts.
and still I believe SA is more dominant/ influential/ powerful...I don't remember the OP ever saying you are forced to agree with what Nigerians have to say either...
Re: South Africa Vs Nigeria: Which Is More Influential In Africa? by Nobody: 6:07pm On Apr 04, 2013
Red-Light:

bill gate might not have the kinda power obama has but he is more influential than obama anywhere

Bill Gates is more Influential than Barack Obama shocked ......ahahaha.... So, If Obama and Bill Gates shd have conflict of Interest,Bill Gate would prevail ahahahahaha.......and una still dey refer peeps to secondary school ahahahaha grin

There is thin line of difference between Power and Influence....!!!

Most part of Africa have been influenced by Europe/America Politically and Socially(culturally)......

Is any of the two African countries ZA and Nigeria commanding same level of Influence on any African countries;

How many countries want to be like Nigeria/ZA;

How many countries is adopting Nigeria/ZA Policies or Culture;

How many countries do Nigeria/ZA has interest in who emerges the president;

what respect do citizens of ZA/Nigeria command among Africa countries ......

What respect do ZA/Nigeria command among Africa countries.....

If Nigeria/ZA shd have conflict of interest/Power tussle whose side would other Africa countries abide....

Is Average African wannabe Nigerian/ZA
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

I read Jonathan read riot act to any West African country that betray Nigeria to ZA again during the tussle for AU sit where Nigeria anointed (Gabon abi na Gambia) failed yakata.....(No thanks to West Africa countries woed by ZA) cheesy

Nigeria has the potential to submerge the whole of Africa but we re under-utilising it.....!!!!
Re: South Africa Vs Nigeria: Which Is More Influential In Africa? by Nobody: 6:14pm On Apr 04, 2013
donroxy:
Nigeria has the potential to submerge the whole of Africa but we re under-utilising it.....!!!!
thank you for pointing that out... We are talking about actual influence not potential influence. U seem to have cleared things out

1 Like

Re: South Africa Vs Nigeria: Which Is More Influential In Africa? by Nobody: 6:23pm On Apr 04, 2013
Red-Light:
if america eductaion system is so much influential grin why does it produce many drug addicts, p.ornstars, fraudsters, bank robbers , gangsterism, atm robbers , meth heads etc

why does south africa has so much crime rate with all that education ? why majority works in mines grin
let him knw abeg. Cos dat guy dos nt knw wat d word "influence" means.
Re: South Africa Vs Nigeria: Which Is More Influential In Africa? by olumidazz: 6:33pm On Apr 04, 2013
Beloved op, I don't care about your question most influential or most nollywoding or most technological, but I am a nigerian living in joburg, I work and do businesses here and making what an average nigerian banker, doctor, engineer, or lawyer will not dream of making in their life times and let me not 4get to tell you that I don't even have a university degree. Also my stay here is legal which makes it possible for me to travel between joboug and lag at will. I make the money here and come and enjoy it in lag with my family and if any of my children complains of the slightest headache while in lag on school hols, we are on the next plane back to our hospital in jobug. Light has not blink in my Bryanston apartment 4 24 months except when there is a major repair from the authorities. Take a trip to botswana there and u will see what living well is all about and not some meaningless influences. Just relaying my experience sha o 4give me if despite nigeria's influence it has not made any meaningful impact in the lives of majority of us.
Re: South Africa Vs Nigeria: Which Is More Influential In Africa? by Nobody: 6:38pm On Apr 04, 2013
Are you kidding me? Don't wanna call u names dear, buh you ain't making sense.. you just tripping
Re: South Africa Vs Nigeria: Which Is More Influential In Africa? by Nobody: 6:40pm On Apr 04, 2013
mondi_cheeks: thank you for pointing that out... We are talking about actual influence not potential influence. U seem to have cleared things out
welcome ma'am....!!!

Influence deal with how one's emotions,actions,opinions and behaviours has affected others...... But folks here are mixing it up.....!!!
Re: South Africa Vs Nigeria: Which Is More Influential In Africa? by Nobody: 6:41pm On Apr 04, 2013
olumidazz: Beloved op, I don't care about your question most influential or most nollywoding or most technological, but I am a nigerian living in joburg, I work and do businesses here and making what an average nigerian banker, doctor, engineer, or lawyer will not dream of making in their life times and let me not 4get to tell you that I don't even have a university degree. Also my stay here is legal which makes it possible for me to travel between joboug and lag at will. I make the money here and come and enjoy it in lag with my family and if any of my children complains of the slightest headache while in lag on school hols, we are on the next plane back to our hospital in jobug. Light has not blink in my Bryanston apartment 4 24 months except when there is a major repair from the authorities. Take a trip to botswana there and u will see what living well is all about and not some meaningless influences. Just relaying my experience sha o 4give me if despite nigeria's influence it has not made any meaningful impact in the lives of majority of us.
At first it was naira 1 - 25 SA... then 1 -20, now 1 - 17.. if it gets to 1 - 1, if i see you for MMIA i go break ur skull
Re: South Africa Vs Nigeria: Which Is More Influential In Africa? by Walphem(m): 7:00pm On Apr 04, 2013
trolling: South Africa is a member of BRICS
Nigeria a member of OPEC
Someone should do the comparison
Nigeria is a member of MINT

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (18) (Reply)

President Jonathan Receives Tissue Papers Made By Students Of GSS, Abuja (PIX) / The Six Geographical Regions In Nigeria in Order Of Development / How Long Would It Take Your Country To Fix This Damaged Road, See Reactions(Pic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.