Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,914 members, 7,814,083 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 06:06 AM

Foreign Investors Pour Into Nigeria As Economy Accelerates (Updates) - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Investors Pour Into Nigeria As Economy Accelerates (Updates) (34590 Views)

Buhari Moves To Block Influx Of Foreign Construction Workers Into Nigeria / Nigerians Blast APC For Sneaking Buhari Into Nigeria At Night / Nigeria To Replace South Africa In G20 As Economy Grows (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Foreign Investors Pour Into Nigeria As Economy Accelerates (Updates) by 50calibre(m): 9:59pm On Jun 02, 2013
London-X:

Enjoy, bro!!

Watch it with a glass of black henny! wink

Haha! Dude brazil probably has the next World Cup, imagine a bunch of young, inexperienced Brazilians playing England like they are equals, even with the experience in the English team.
Re: Foreign Investors Pour Into Nigeria As Economy Accelerates (Updates) by shaqoloye(m): 10:00pm On Jun 02, 2013
good, bt wait a minute, no road, light, water,etc......hw can dis be gud news.
...investment in 9ja indeed. where we use 10hrs for 30mins waka..up pdp
Re: Foreign Investors Pour Into Nigeria As Economy Accelerates (Updates) by 50calibre(m): 10:03pm On Jun 02, 2013
Ilaje44:

Who told you that's how South Korea and Japan developed? Let us put Japan aside - because she was far ahead of her Asian peers -, have you read any book about the economic development of the Asian Tiger States? If not, you should. There are many books about it. However, if you don't have the time to read a book, the development of China should serve as an adequate lesson. For instance, you can not establish a company in China with a 100% ownership. Apart from that, you will be required to share your technology with domestic companies either overt or covertly. The driving force of their economies is however not foreign companies, but the thirst to be technologically at par with the western countries if not better. To this end, they sent their best students to the best schools in the best countries of the world. Besides, they also copied all the technology they could lay their hands on. As Nigeria is constituted right now, the future is very bleak. It would be a great magic beyond comprehension if we would bs able to achieve a tenth of what Malaysia has accomplished in the next 20 years. Except of course we overhaul completely our ways of doing things.

-Corruption
-educational apathy
-societal and general moral decadence
-lack of coherent policies and continuity
-infrastructural negligence

Are just the most important plaques Nigeria has to get rid of.

Very accurate! Dude you should write a book or a letter and send it to GEJ, you couldn't have put this any better.
Re: Foreign Investors Pour Into Nigeria As Economy Accelerates (Updates) by MajeOfficial: 10:04pm On Jun 02, 2013
lakside s: With all this, yet nigerians are still suffering lipsrsealed
primarily illiterates. social and literal illiterates
there are people in Lagos that don't know there are malls in Lagos. They don't know how to apply for jobs and their thinking is not modern enough to adapt to the new economy. The new growth situation favors modern people and modern thinkers. Many of those being left out are ajepakos waiting for their big bros to higher them into a bank. A few of the kids i grew up with are working for radio stations, fast food outlets, labs, and telecoms. Another portion of the kids i grew up with are in Senegal, Malaysia, and India begging for employment, pushing drugs and in one case attempting to sell their kidney. Ajepako thinking isn't built for the modern world and those being left out of the modern nigeria are typically not modern thinkers. These people will go to Lagos and look for a motorpark to go extort at before they apply for a reasonable job in a reasonable way. You can't blame it on the country anymore

1 Like

Re: Foreign Investors Pour Into Nigeria As Economy Accelerates (Updates) by Akpan107(m): 10:11pm On Jun 02, 2013
mike404: GEJ I gat ya back
The North is being maginalised! Why are all the investors(company) in the South? The Southern President should not think he has the monopoly of these ooo
Re: Foreign Investors Pour Into Nigeria As Economy Accelerates (Updates) by olajide8(m): 10:17pm On Jun 02, 2013
These guys saying and offering to invest in nigeria, is not the bottomline, the bottomline is how does it affect the ordinary man in nigeria, that is technically deficient unskilled and doesn't have anybody to rely on (big man), how does it affect small businesses that would perform support business services, without the bigger well established ones driving them out of the market, how would they affect the economy positively, how would the price of garri drop even if it wouldn't drop how would the average nigerian be able to afford it, how would, the more then 2m graduates be absorbed into the system, how would nigerian's, be socially secured from gross exploitation, by chinese firms and indian companies, how would they be forced to employ 60-80% of indigents -nigerian's how would their be a fair chance for nigerian graduates and nigerian's who go to U.K to student have a fair competition to aspire for the same job opportunities, how would we all get houses
Re: Foreign Investors Pour Into Nigeria As Economy Accelerates (Updates) by kabba7(m): 10:22pm On Jun 02, 2013
[color=#990000][/color] I hope these are for real unlike those that promise Jonathan to build refineries but ran away even before the ink used dry
Re: Foreign Investors Pour Into Nigeria As Economy Accelerates (Updates) by tzege: 10:22pm On Jun 02, 2013
Nice piece on investment.
where are the jobs? or are we not supposed to do reap the dividend of all this FDI in our lifetime?
Re: Foreign Investors Pour Into Nigeria As Economy Accelerates (Updates) by Nobody: 10:23pm On Jun 02, 2013
Akpan107: The North is being maginalised! Why are all the investors(company) in the South? The Southern President should not think he has the monopoly of these ooo
which wise investor will invest in north only to watch his money got blown up by illiterate fanatics

1 Like

Re: Foreign Investors Pour Into Nigeria As Economy Accelerates (Updates) by Dee60: 10:23pm On Jun 02, 2013
Local investors are being frustrated by the day owing to funny government policies. And foreign scavengers are being allowed to exploit our loose system. Go around on commercial high streets and see how many shops/offices have 'to let' hanging on them. Go to Kano and see what is left of the once flourishing tanneries, cotton ginneries and co. Go to Nnewi and see how the nail manufacturers have been punished because the 'investors' have been allowed to use us as dumping ground.

I like the idea of investments and we must appreciate government efforts to bring them in. We should not stop there. We must not give an impression that ours is a free market for imperialist exploitation with the connivance of economist rapists in government offices who turn the blind eye to exploitation because of the massive egunje they have chopped.

Get in genuine investors and ensure the rights and benefits of the average Nigerian are protected.

2 Likes

Re: Foreign Investors Pour Into Nigeria As Economy Accelerates (Updates) by TechyGuy: 10:30pm On Jun 02, 2013
I don't understand all these progressives that don't like nor celebrate progress.
They celebrate bad news and eschew news about the country prospering under GEJ/PDP.

Only a lazy, unqualified, mischievous person will say Nigerians are getting poorer.
The Nigeria I live in is one of the best places to be the next few years.

@OP, thank you for sharing, I'm going to bed smiling. I love Nigeria, God Bless Nigeria!

1 Like

Re: Foreign Investors Pour Into Nigeria As Economy Accelerates (Updates) by Raypawer(m): 10:32pm On Jun 02, 2013
Am so happy for ma dear Country. NIGERIA, esp CALABAR,... Ma birth place...
PROUDLY NIGERIAN

2 Likes

Re: Foreign Investors Pour Into Nigeria As Economy Accelerates (Updates) by phemi01(m): 10:46pm On Jun 02, 2013
foreigners must do everything for us in nigeria. See thm jumping up n down like they just gained independence. With all the money ur leaders are stealing, they still have to soleLy depend on foreign investors to do everything. Una neva see anything. Ur all going back to the slave trade era sooner than u know. Nigerians are already suffering from serious mental slavery though.

2 Likes

Re: Foreign Investors Pour Into Nigeria As Economy Accelerates (Updates) by Ilekokonit: 10:47pm On Jun 02, 2013
Foreign Investors Pour Into Nigeria As Economy Grows

More like Foreign Investors Pour Into Nigeria as the Rich get richer and the Poor get poorer

1 Like

Re: Foreign Investors Pour Into Nigeria As Economy Accelerates (Updates) by Raypawer(m): 10:49pm On Jun 02, 2013
Wake up from slumber dude!
olajide_07: These guys saying and offering to invest in nigeria, is not the bottomline, the bottomline is how does it affect the ordinary man in nigeria, that is technically deficient unskilled and doesn't have anybody to rely on (big man), how does it affect small businesses that would perform support business services, without the bigger well established ones driving them out of the market, how would they affect the economy positively, how would the price of garri drop even if it wouldn't drop how would the average nigerian be able to afford it, how would, the more then 2m graduates be absorbed into the system, how would nigerian's, be socially secured from gross exploitation, by chinese firms and indian companies, how would they be forced to employ 60-80% of indigents -nigerian's how would their be a fair chance for nigerian graduates and nigerian's who go to U.K to student have a fair competition to aspire for the same job opportunities, how would we all get houses
Re: Foreign Investors Pour Into Nigeria As Economy Accelerates (Updates) by ogorsunday(m): 10:50pm On Jun 02, 2013
ii have over 100 acre of land for sale to any interested companies for a very low price in Benue state... intersested? call 07051013532
Re: Foreign Investors Pour Into Nigeria As Economy Accelerates (Updates) by 735i(m): 10:51pm On Jun 02, 2013
orgasticdance:
Yes, all very well. The average nairalander knows this and is probably going to do well for himself. She'll become a treasurer in one of the new foreign owned banks or learn how to make thai sea food and come back home to set up shop. You and your fortunate family will do well. But is society as a whole currently being equipped with this knowledge of self reliance? Our educational system is worse than it was in 99!; the culture of corruption is still rife; structural problemns have been largely unadressed for more than two decades. Change won't happen in one day i agree, but when we see a sincerety of purpose and will in this administration's bid to create a fair and equitable society then we would give them their due.

If the foreign investors saw all these structural problems and still decided to come down to Nigeria and invest... does it not mean that they have seen something good beyond all these challenges?
Corruption did not start yesterday, so it cannot end today...it's got to be gradual. The best way to stop a bad habit; is to start a good one; and this (FDI) is a sure good way to grow our economy.
I'll give you and anybody else who cares to listen one good piece of advice; "Live like nobody owes you anything!" forget about the govt and do all that is (legitimately) within your powers. the govt was bad when some rich people made their money legally here in Nigeria; the govt may be bad whilst i'm making my money...but i will make this money; and legally too!!
After all; Na one head Pascal Dozie get..and na one head wey i get; i no fit dey tell my pickins dem say govt no good na hin make me no hammer

2 Likes

Re: Foreign Investors Pour Into Nigeria As Economy Accelerates (Updates) by Nobody: 10:53pm On Jun 02, 2013
Ilekokonit:

More like Foreign Investors Pour Into Nigeria as the Rich get richer and the Poor get poorer

i know that's right.
Re: Foreign Investors Pour Into Nigeria As Economy Accelerates (Updates) by donfineboi: 10:55pm On Jun 02, 2013
This is a very good reason to be excited, it means there's HOPE. But let's be very sincere, the environment needs to be very conducive for foreign business participation.... Power and Security are the 2 major challenges. Every capitalist love to do business where the cost of production is at its barest minimum. If power is stable and the spate of kidnapping, pirates at d coastal regions and other mean vices are checked eradicated, Nigeria will be on its way to be among the worlds power house.
We have seen these pledges before, but we need to put our house in order.

GEJ should sit up and concentrate on his work rather than focusing on political witch hunting n re-election bid....
Re: Foreign Investors Pour Into Nigeria As Economy Accelerates (Updates) by Nobody: 11:00pm On Jun 02, 2013
Imagine if we can provide uninterrupted power supply, good security, good road and rail network, bigger and efficient seaports, and an impartial judiciary, then we will be on the rise to stardom. I don't know why we don't have a rail network that links our seaports to city centres of major cities.

I would also want our government to build seaports in States that borders the Ocean. This would imply that all southern states are open for businesses, and an efficient rail network would link these southern cities to other parts of the country.

A Cocoa farmer in Ondo or a palm oil farmer in Cross-river gets his goods exported as quick as he can to other countries around the world.

I always say this and will continue to say this>>>> The jobs our government have to do isn't much, bearing in mind that we have natural minerals to finance them.

We have the capability to embark on the projects listed above but greed won't allow our leaders to do it. They just too short-sighted.

If we put in place these infrastructures, investors from around the world will come. Building our schools to world standard would also mean that highly skilled jobs go to Nigerians.

The west are afraid of China's dominance, and are willing to go do business elsewhere. Nigeria fits the shape, our proximity to Atlantic waterways and our democratic style of governance should entice them...

Can someone tell me what our leaders are waiting for?

2 Likes

Re: Foreign Investors Pour Into Nigeria As Economy Accelerates (Updates) by Raypawer(m): 11:00pm On Jun 02, 2013
Think outside the box boy! Think Smart

All these foreign investors are open for partnership, instead of crying like ma little boy, why not fastern ur seat belt and get ready to
Strike a deal, buy shares, partner with them and see ur money grow hu!
phemi01: foreigners must do everything for us in nigeria. See thm jumping up n down like they just gained independence. With all the money ur leaders are stealing, they still have to soleLy depend on foreign investors to do everything. Una neva see anything. Ur all going back to the slave trade era sooner than u know. Nigerians are already suffering from serious mental slavery though.

You need some financial treatment by Robert Kiyosaki...
Go read his books eg >GUIDE TO INVESTMENT, why we want you to be rich, cashflow Quadrant, etc...<
Re: Foreign Investors Pour Into Nigeria As Economy Accelerates (Updates) by chuquiz(m): 11:01pm On Jun 02, 2013
We've heard it all before. Drums are played on paper and without being pessimistic we don't see it replicated in the lives of ordinary Nigerians . I go siddon dey look as the jobs go come for those youths

1 Like

Re: Foreign Investors Pour Into Nigeria As Economy Accelerates (Updates) by donfineboi: 11:05pm On Jun 02, 2013
obo_man: Imagine if we can provide uninterrupted power supply, good security, good road and rail network, bigger and efficient seaports, and an impartial judiciary, then we will be on the rise to stardom. I don't know why we don't have a rail network that links our seaports to city centres of major cities.

I would also want our government to build seaports in States that borders the Ocean. This would imply that all southern states are open for businesses, and an efficient rail network would link these southern cities to other parts of the country.

A Cocoa farmer in Ondo or a palm oil farmer in Cross-river gets his goods exported as quick as he can to other countries around the world.

I always say this and will continue to say this>>>> The jobs our government have to do isn't much, bearing in mind that we have natural minerals to finance them.

We have the capability to embark on the projects listed above but greed won't allow our leaders to do it. They just too short-sighted.

If we put in place these infrastructures, investors from around the world will come. Building our schools to world standard would also mean that highly skilled jobs go to Nigerians.

The west are afraid of China's dominance, and are willing to go do business elsewhere. Nigeria fits the shape, our proximity to Atlantic waterways and our democratic style of governance should entice them...

Well said bro.....

Our leaders are waiting for 2015
Re: Foreign Investors Pour Into Nigeria As Economy Accelerates (Updates) by Ilaje44(m): 11:06pm On Jun 02, 2013
50calibre:

Very accurate! Dude you should write a book or a letter and send it to GEJ, you couldn't have put this any better.

Come here, who you dey call dude? A je egbe ti o wa ng pe mi ni dude ni? Enu e bi dude yen. I wouldn't have minded MISTER. I would have appreciated OGBENI. But DUDE, hell no. I no be American. I am too conservative for that.
Re: Foreign Investors Pour Into Nigeria As Economy Accelerates (Updates) by Nobody: 11:14pm On Jun 02, 2013
Which one is right about the header

Foreign investors pour/cum into Nigeria.

Let them stop pouring because the pour people dont feel the effects of their cuming. Only rich Nigerians enjoy the country.
Re: Foreign Investors Pour Into Nigeria As Economy Accelerates (Updates) by olajide8(m): 11:14pm On Jun 02, 2013
TechyGuy: I don't understand all these progressives that don't like nor celebrate progress.
They celebrate bad news and eschew news about the country prospering under GEJ/PDP.

Only a lazy, unqualified, mischievous person will say Nigerians are getting poorer.
The Nigeria I live in is one of the best places to be the next few years.

@OP, thank you for sharing, I'm going to bed smiling. I love Nigeria, God Bless Nigeria!
Lubbish - let them close our borders and restart 'SAP'
Re: Foreign Investors Pour Into Nigeria As Economy Accelerates (Updates) by diarra94(m): 11:19pm On Jun 02, 2013
Proudly nigerian.
Re: Foreign Investors Pour Into Nigeria As Economy Accelerates (Updates) by Nobody: 11:22pm On Jun 02, 2013
Rossikk:

These investors employ world class analysts and strategists who already KNOW what Nigeria's power generation profile will be in the next 2 to 10 years. Their investment decisions are not guided solely by the current situation. The ongoing power sector reforms are on course. Privatization will ensure effective delivery of power. They KNOW this. Unlike YOU who doesn't know, THEY actually KNOW. cool
you sound smart but the reality is you know nothing. These people are all large scale producers and industries. When you are that large, you generate your own electricity even when the host nation has constant power.

So the analyst did not envisage power normalising instead they calculated the cost of independent power plant into the project. If in doubt, ask dangote.
Re: Foreign Investors Pour Into Nigeria As Economy Accelerates (Updates) by Nobody: 11:25pm On Jun 02, 2013
obo_man: Imagine if we can provide uninterrupted power supply, good security, good road and rail network, bigger and efficient seaports, and an impartial judiciary, then we will be on the rise to stardom. I don't know why we don't have a rail network that links our seaports to city centres of major cities.

to start with, we have no leaders, only powerful kleptomaniacs.
Re: Foreign Investors Pour Into Nigeria As Economy Accelerates (Updates) by Nobody: 11:25pm On Jun 02, 2013

to start with, we have no leaders, only powerful kleptomaniacs.
Re: Foreign Investors Pour Into Nigeria As Economy Accelerates (Updates) by Orikinla(m): 11:33pm On Jun 02, 2013
90% of the names mentioned are just foreign contractors that are already in Nigeria since 2007. And combined cannot employ up to 2000 Nigerians, except casual labourers. There are no foreign investors pouring into Nigeria. The poster and the sponsors are liars looking for cheap publicity.

1 Like

Re: Foreign Investors Pour Into Nigeria As Economy Accelerates (Updates) by Inik(m): 11:42pm On Jun 02, 2013
If only we can fix our electricity supply, Nigeria will be an investors paradise.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

President Bola Tinubu Welcomes Senate President Godswill Akpabio To The Villa / Obasanjo's Son, Oba, In Motor Accident / Okupe: Why Atiku Defeated Saraki In PDP Primaries

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.