Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,186 members, 7,953,672 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 10:28 PM

Foreign Investors Pour Into Nigeria As Economy Accelerates (Updates) - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Investors Pour Into Nigeria As Economy Accelerates (Updates) (35191 Views)

Buhari Moves To Block Influx Of Foreign Construction Workers Into Nigeria / Nigerians Blast APC For Sneaking Buhari Into Nigeria At Night / Nigeria To Replace South Africa In G20 As Economy Grows (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Foreign Investors Pour Into Nigeria As Economy Accelerates (Updates) by abujalapdog(m): 11:42pm On Jun 02, 2013
@op i didnt see Dangote refinary there an Anambra sea port..
Re: Foreign Investors Pour Into Nigeria As Economy Accelerates (Updates) by Originalsly: 11:43pm On Jun 02, 2013
What are the conditions under which these investors will operate? Are there clauses in the contracts that would ensure a minimum percentage of locals be trained and employed? Would the investors be required to aid in developing the community in which they operate? Would they be required to pay compensation to displaced locals? What about salaries? ...and working conditions? What percentage of the profits would the FG retain? If these are not addressed then this is welcoming exploitation and an invitation to slavery. How different would they be from the oil companies? All that glitters is not gold.

1 Like

Re: Foreign Investors Pour Into Nigeria As Economy Accelerates (Updates) by trolling(m): 11:44pm On Jun 02, 2013
Come 2014 you guys will be singing a different song, it would be triggered by America. Woe to them that lean on Egypt
Re: Foreign Investors Pour Into Nigeria As Economy Accelerates (Updates) by emmadejust(m): 11:54pm On Jun 02, 2013
anyhow anyhow al things are good nd workin in nigeria,hope tis industries wil established in states that need boast up in employment nd development.kogi state,abia,benue,ebonyi. abeg make dem remember dos place,nt lik lagos or abj or rivers wey chop de pour 4ground

1 Like

Re: Foreign Investors Pour Into Nigeria As Economy Accelerates (Updates) by obandy: 12:00am On Jun 03, 2013
Chose you this day who to vote in 2015, i and my family will vote GEJ.

2 Likes

Re: Foreign Investors Pour Into Nigeria As Economy Accelerates (Updates) by olajide8(m): 12:12am On Jun 03, 2013
Raypawer: Wake up from slumber dude!

Presumption FDI is good, my point of view it isn't, but it is a pointer in the direction we should go, my reason they borrow money from banks in their country at reduced rates, buy equipment in their countries and ship it to nigeria, bring in expatriates they install them and service them, then they employ 40- 60% nigerian's and we pay for the services they offer and they repartriate the funds while servicing their loans in their countries, and pay taxes to their own governments, for having their head offices over their and branch offices in nigeria, economics is such a wonderful concept it allows you to argue, and I definitely, I know you haven't ever tried to think along this line- and please bear this thought what ever policy we are running the common man is the end beneficiary that man that needs to feed a family and is dependent on the government to create a job for him, the need to increase GDP, through policies that force SME's, to stay in business ie by insisting these so call FDI, must patronise our support services and not the big companies that can crash prices, but the small ones that actually employ these 50% of semi and unskilled person, and not the self centred few like you, at that point then it makes sense.
Re: Foreign Investors Pour Into Nigeria As Economy Accelerates (Updates) by Nobody: 12:18am On Jun 03, 2013
Foreign investors are investing,more money is entering the government purse yet a large percentage of Nigerians still leave in abject poverty and many are unemployed.

To God be the glory !
Re: Foreign Investors Pour Into Nigeria As Economy Accelerates (Updates) by Rossikk(m): 12:20am On Jun 03, 2013
blink182: you sound smart but the reality is you know nothing. These people are all large scale producers and industries. When you are that large, you generate your own electricity even when the host nation has constant power.

So the analyst did not envisage power normalising instead they calculated the cost of independent power plant into the project. If in doubt, ask dangote.

Investors as a rule do not 'normally generate their own power' in conditions of optimal and efficient public power supply. They simply retain power back up systems. If you say otherwise, prove it.
Re: Foreign Investors Pour Into Nigeria As Economy Accelerates (Updates) by everyday: 12:20am On Jun 03, 2013
Its good to see all these investors coming into the country.It means more business for us
Re: Foreign Investors Pour Into Nigeria As Economy Accelerates (Updates) by lacasa: 12:23am On Jun 03, 2013
London-X:

Bro., help me ask the pseudo-economists on this forum.

Everything is a bubble!

The more you look in Naija, the less you see.

GDP is growing at an alarming rate, yet the poor are getting poorer by day.

Foreign investment is growing, yet the unemployment rate is also growing.

Manufacturing is growing, yet the country is importing more. grin

The country's name ought to be changed from Nigeria to Oxymoron!! tongue

Laughable! - you definitely can't make this shiit up. grin undecided

It's magic economics, courtesy -40 laptop creww
grin
Re: Foreign Investors Pour Into Nigeria As Economy Accelerates (Updates) by Tinyemeka(m): 12:28am On Jun 03, 2013
50calibre: Nigeria is a very weird place, economy is growing yet it isn't evident in the lives of the average Nigerians. Incomes aren't rising, prices aren't falling, people aren't getting richer, how the hell is the economy growing .

Not true. I know that I personally am getting richer.

4 Likes

Re: Foreign Investors Pour Into Nigeria As Economy Accelerates (Updates) by besticality: 12:34am On Jun 03, 2013
Big cake, let me prepare my knife to take my share
Re: Foreign Investors Pour Into Nigeria As Economy Accelerates (Updates) by olajide8(m): 12:50am On Jun 03, 2013
These things beat my imagination the F.G stabilizes the exchange rate by increasing our foreign reserve, nice, meaning we must trade with other countries, but we do not manufacture exportable items apart from oil, which the thugs are vandalising in the niger delta, so what does our government do voodoo economics save outside don't spend within the economy, then encourage FDI to do the spending, so as to create an impression our economic indicators are good, then we import every other thing and hope upon hope that their would be a transfer of technology through FDI, then I laugh what a concept of development NOI, GEJ continue the gentle destruction of the nigerian state
Re: Foreign Investors Pour Into Nigeria As Economy Accelerates (Updates) by trolling(m): 1:02am On Jun 03, 2013
olajide_07: These things beat my imagination the F.G stabilizes the exchange rate by increasing our foreign reserve, nice, meaning we must trade with other countries, but we do not manufacture exportable items apart from oil, which the thugs are vandalising in the niger delta, so what does our government do voodoo economics save outside don't spend within the economy, then encourage FDI to do the spending, so as to create an impression our economic indicators are good, then we import every other thing and hope upon hope that their would be a transfer of technology through FDI, then I laugh what a concept of development NOI, GEJ continue the gentle destruction of the nigerian state
That's the same pattern practiced worldwide, America is perfect example and the bubble is about to burst or why do you think BRICS is in place the bubble is about to burst
Re: Foreign Investors Pour Into Nigeria As Economy Accelerates (Updates) by Nobody: 1:21am On Jun 03, 2013
Foreign ownership of Nigeria increases?
Re: Foreign Investors Pour Into Nigeria As Economy Accelerates (Updates) by funnyx(m): 1:33am On Jun 03, 2013
I like the word POUR cool let's hope they keep pouring till they overflow.
Re: Foreign Investors Pour Into Nigeria As Economy Accelerates (Updates) by dabrake(m): 1:46am On Jun 03, 2013
Hope they aint building any of their industries in the North. I'm cool with anything that will contribute to the abokis 'retardeness'
Re: Foreign Investors Pour Into Nigeria As Economy Accelerates (Updates) by 50calibre(m): 2:00am On Jun 03, 2013
Ilaje44:

Come here, who you dey call dude? A je egbe ti o wa ng pe mi ni dude ni? Enu e bi dude yen. I wouldn't have minded MISTER. I would have appreciated OGBENI. But DUDE, hell no. I no be American. I am too conservative for that.

This is the problem with Nigerians, one minute they are making sense, the next they are talking nonsense. Look at you focusing on nothing as if there is a way to know what you like being called or how conservative you are.

Dude means a man, it english language and we are communicating in English so take it and move on or step aside because I sure as hell don't understand the vernacular you wrote up here
Re: Foreign Investors Pour Into Nigeria As Economy Accelerates (Updates) by Sagewood: 4:39am On Jun 03, 2013
Hey Rossikk,
Keep up the good work. Let's see all the wonderful possibilities in Nigeria.
Some people in Nairaland only want to read bad news about Nigeria. They don't appreciate their own
and most importantly they will never be objective or constructive.

God bless Nigeria!

2 Likes

Re: Foreign Investors Pour Into Nigeria As Economy Accelerates (Updates) by negosus: 4:51am On Jun 03, 2013
Fantastic! Only if we would contribute our own bit of - providing & maintaining constant power supplies, adequate security and boot-out corruption. Everybody will smile...

1 Like

Re: Foreign Investors Pour Into Nigeria As Economy Accelerates (Updates) by Ferdinandu(m): 4:56am On Jun 03, 2013
Political Jobbers! Daalunu olu.Jisienu ike.2015 don dey reach.When I see all these projects take off, then I will agree.
Re: Foreign Investors Pour Into Nigeria As Economy Accelerates (Updates) by awodman: 5:43am On Jun 03, 2013
awodman:
Local, foreign investors create N912.4bn worth of
new investments in Nigeria

By Franklin Alli
…Investments go to Manufacturing, Agriculture, Energy

Some pockets of new investments were recorded in the
economy in the last few years, data tracked by Financial
Vanguard has revealed. The new investments came from
Nestle Nigeria Plc, Dangote Cement Plc, Lafarge WAPCO
Cement Plc; Western Metal Products Company Limited
(WEMPCO Group) and Teragro, the agro-business
subsidiary of Transnational Corporation of Nigeria
(Transcorp), Makurdi, Benue State.

Also in the pack are Indorama Eleme Petrochemical
Limited, Port Harcourt; SABMiller Plc’s brewery plant in
Onitsha, Anambra State as well as PZ Wilmar palm oil
factory and plantation at Ikorodu, Lagos and Calabar,
respectively.

Analysis of the new investments showed that Nestlé
invested N12 billion in Flowergate factories, dedicated to
the production of Maggi products, at Sagam, Ogun State.
It also made an investment of N5.4 billion to set up a
Distribution Center in Agbara, Ogun State; Dangote
Cement on its part invested a total of N140 billion in
Ibese plant with a capacity of six million metric tons built
by Sinoma, using state-of-the-art Chinese and European
technology.

The plant is expected to increase its capacity to 12
million tons per year by the end of 2014, providing
ample supplies for the rapidly growing South-West
region of Nigeria, as well as the ability to export cement
and clinker through Dangote Cement terminals in Lagos.
Lafarge WAPCO on the other hand invested N75 billion
on a 2.5 million tons plant at Ewekoro II christened
“Lakatabu. Lafarge also invested N23 billion on power
plants at Ewekoro Ogun State to generate a total of 90
megawatts both to power Lafarge’s Lakatabu cement
plant and to support Nigeria’s quest for power
sufficiency.

Still in Ogun State, Western Metal Products Company
Limited (WEMPCO Group) invested N1 billion
CBN intervention fund it got through the Bank of
Industry (BoI) on a 52 megawatts power plant to provide
24 hours electricity to all its factories.
WEMPCO also recently made a combined investment of
N344 billion on steel, ceramic tiles plant and nail
production, at its 700,000 metric tons per annum Cold
Rolled Steel Mill complex in Ibafon, Ogun State to
complement its existing investments in the country.
The Group Managing Director, Wempco Group, Mr. Lewis
Tung, gave the breakdown as follows: $1.5 billion steel,
ceramic tiles plant worth $500m and a nail production
plant worth $200m. Benue State also got a slice of the
new investments with an injection of Teragro N1billion
fruit processing plant which was commissioned March
last year by President GoodLuck Jonathan. Teragro, the
agro-business subsidiary of Transnational Corporation of
Nigeria (Transcorp) signed an agreement with the Benue
State Government for Benfruit, the fruit juice concentrate
company.

The plant, which is located in the Makurdi Industrial
Estate, is situated on one hectare of land. It has installed
capacity to produce orange, mango and pineapple fruit
concentrates at up to 26,500 metric tons per annum.
Anambra State was not left out as South Africa’s brewery
giant, SABMiller Brewery invested $100 million dollars
(N15 billion) on its first beer plant at Onitsha for the
product launch of Hero Lager.

The project was awarded in March 2011 to Jagal Nigeria
Limited and was completed within 18 months. The new
plant which has an annual capacity of 500,000
hectoliters was also commissioned by President Goodluck
Ebele Jonathan along with Governor Peter Obi and other
government dignitaries. Also in attendance were senior
officials from SABMiller Plc including Mr. Mark Bowman,
Managing Director, SABMiller Africa.

In addition to these, Indorama Corporation is also
investing US$1.2 billion (about N188 billion) on single-
stream gas-to-urea fertiliser project in Port Harcourt,
through its Nigerian subsidiary, Indorama EPL.
The Indorama fertiliser plant, which has capacity for 1.4
million metric tons of Urea, Ammonia and NPK fertilisers
per annum would be the world’s largest single-stream
gas-to-urea plant, says the Technical Director of the
project, Mr. Uptal K. Chatterjee.

According to Chatterjee, the plant, expected to be
completed in fourth quarter of 2015, is geared towards
transforming Nigeria from a major importer to a key
exporter of fertiliser.
According to the Managing Director of Indorama, Eleme
Petrochemicals Limited, Mr. Manish Mundra; “When
completed, the project would deliver high quality
fertilisers to Nigerian farmers, thereby helping Nigeria to
boost agricultural output and enhance food security,” Mr.
Mundra said.

The project has already attracted huge financing from
many international and local financial institutions,
revealed Mr. Munish Jindal, Director of Finance of IEPL.
Last February 18, 2013, Indorama and its financial
partners sealed an US$1.2 billion financing arrangement
in Dubai. A total of $800 million dollars is in loans, while
$400 million dollars is in equity.

According to Mr. Jindal, the financial partners involved in
the $800 million loan syndication include the
International Finance Corporation (IFC), Standard
Chartered, African Development Bank (AFDB), Africa
Export Import Bank (AFREXIM Bank), Bank of India, as
well as KFW and DEG of Germany.

Others are Commonwealth Development Corporation of
the United Kingdom, FMO Entrepreneurial Development
Bank of Netherlands and Emerging Africa Infrastructure
Fund. The Nigerian banks are United Bank for Africa
(UBA), Stanbic IBTC Bank, Guaranty Trust Bank (GTB),
and Access Bank.

Chairman of Indorama, Mr. S.P. Lohia, had in May 2011,
broken the news of the fertiliser project to President
Goodluck Jonathan, who promised to support the project
because of the huge impact it would have on Nigeria’s
agricultural sector and the creation of employment
opportunities for Nigeria.

Also tracked by Financial Vanguard in the new
investment and job creation drive is PZ Wilmar, a new
joint venture of PZ Cussons Nigeria Plc and Singapore’s
Wilmar.
They are investing N109 billion. N100 billion in oil palm
plantations in Calabar and N9 billion refinery based in
Lagos.

Speaking on the new investment, the group’s Chief
Executive, Mr Christos Giannopoulos said that palm oil
plantation and refinery is the conglomerate’s new
business line, adding that it has already acquired 30,000
hectares of palm oil plantation in Cross River State to
boost its palm produce business in the country.
Giannopoulos, who noted that Nigeria’s lost status as the
biggest producer of palm oil in the world promised that
his company would work assiduously towards helping
the country regain its lost glory in the palm oil and
associated produce in the global market.
Source:www.vanguardngr.com/2013/06/local-foreign-investors-create-n912-4bn-worth-of-new-investments-in-nigeria/
Re: Foreign Investors Pour Into Nigeria As Economy Accelerates (Updates) by phemi01(m): 6:09am On Jun 03, 2013
Raypawer: Think outside the box boy! Think Smart

All these foreign investors are open for partnership, instead of crying like ma little boy, why not fastern ur seat belt and get ready to
Strike a deal, buy shares, partner with them and see ur money grow hu!

You need some financial treatment by Robert Kiyosaki...
Go read his books eg >GUIDE TO INVESTMENT, why we want you to be rich, cashflow Quadrant, etc...<

F-_ k U Sir, ur little dumb boy and Robert kiyosaki
Re: Foreign Investors Pour Into Nigeria As Economy Accelerates (Updates) by naptu2: 6:39am On Jun 03, 2013
This is the reason why I like democracy. It provides the right environment for investment to thrive. Note that it's not only foreign investment that is increasing, but domestic investment is also increasing. Nigerian companies are blooming and expanding across Africa. Think of the Dangote Group, Silverbird, Globacom, Zenith Bank, Oando, etc. If we were under military rule these sectors would have been controlled by loss making public corporations that only serve as a conduit for corruption.

Check out the massive investment in infrastructure that's going on across the country (although I wish that some of the projects would move at a faster pace). Politicians now know that they have to deliver development or they would be booted out (or at least shamed). This is unlike military dictators who don't care what the people think because they came to power via the barrel of the gun. Think of the Lagos Rail Project, the Abuja Rail Project, the revival of the NRC, the improvement and planned concessioning of airport terminals, MMA II, the BRT system, Eko Atlantic, Ibaka Seaport, the Lekki Cable Stayed Bridge, the NIPP Project (although this project was delayed by the Yar'Adua regime), etc. I'm convinced that these projects would not have seen the light of day if we were under military rule.

Nigeria is blessed and can actually become a global economic powerhouse. Our biggest problem is political instability.

1 Like

Re: Foreign Investors Pour Into Nigeria As Economy Accelerates (Updates) by Nobody: 6:46am On Jun 03, 2013
I was dancing Azonton before not until I saw the handle ROSSIKE as the OP and stop.
Re: Foreign Investors Pour Into Nigeria As Economy Accelerates (Updates) by naijaking1: 7:05am On Jun 03, 2013
obandy: Chose you this day who to vote in 2015, i and my family will vote GEJ.
I beg make you talk straight now!
Electing some religious bigot, former military ruler in 2015 wil spell doom for all potential business opportinities, because the guy and his co-travellers don't understand basic economics.

1 Like

Re: Foreign Investors Pour Into Nigeria As Economy Accelerates (Updates) by efe2luv: 7:08am On Jun 03, 2013
What is our delta state governor doing to attract foreign investors too o. Please we need investments in Delta state n Warri in particular. Investors make una look our side too o. Warri don suffer reach nau.
Re: Foreign Investors Pour Into Nigeria As Economy Accelerates (Updates) by coolchimex: 7:11am On Jun 03, 2013
Oh men! Make I start dey strategize how to gain from these investments POSITIVELY oh! *Typical Igbo business sense mode activated* grin
Re: Foreign Investors Pour Into Nigeria As Economy Accelerates (Updates) by rman: 7:12am On Jun 03, 2013
We are so gullible?

All we need are just promises from political jobbers.

Chai!
Re: Foreign Investors Pour Into Nigeria As Economy Accelerates (Updates) by peteafrik88(m): 8:21am On Jun 03, 2013
Damn!!!!! All these? Which ones will remain for wey want run businesses too.... BtW, we thank God 9ja is growing economically... Make I begin strategise for investment in these companies rather

1 Like

Re: Foreign Investors Pour Into Nigeria As Economy Accelerates (Updates) by Nobody: 8:22am On Jun 03, 2013
rman: We are so gullible?

All we need are just promises from political jobbers.

Chai!

God bless you bro...people easily forget the past ni
Re: Foreign Investors Pour Into Nigeria As Economy Accelerates (Updates) by caprini: 8:47am On Jun 03, 2013
Nice one bro.keep the flag flying high.Av always believed in Naija.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Nigerians Can Now Spot The Difference Between APC And PDP — Mark / Tinubu's Alpha Beta Fingered In N100 Billion Fraud (Court Documents) / INEC Replaces Lawrence Ezeh With Adaku Ogbu-Aguocha, 3 Weeks After Election

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.