Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,242 members, 7,836,155 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 09:40 PM

Long Courtship Is Bad Business By Funke Egbemode - Romance (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Long Courtship Is Bad Business By Funke Egbemode (16040 Views)

10 Reasons Why Long Courtship Should Be Avoided By Ladies. / Strange ‘firers’ And ‘firees’ By Funke Egbemode / Long Courtship Is Bad Business By Funke Egbemode (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Long Courtship Is Bad Business By Funke Egbemode by meyri: 8:48am On Apr 10, 2013
Unfortunately many set themselves up for long courtship, like dating a person who still in school or while you are in school. You automatically enter in the waiting game approximately 4-7 years bc u or the person has to finish school, find a job, and set themselves up. Then pray that years from now that you or this person still like each other, not that either of you have done something wrong, but because people change. You not the same person at 25 that you were at 18. Uni days should be for forming friendships, connections, and finding out who you are.Finish school, find a job, and enjoy being single. Then dating/courting and marriage will fall in place. By then you should be mature, know what you want, and secure. You don't find yourself stuck in relationships because of uncertainties or insecurities,if need be you know how to find a exit. You know what you want in marriage mate and you go looking till u find him/her. Yeah it easier said then done, but it makes sense.
Re: Long Courtship Is Bad Business By Funke Egbemode by bukatyne(f): 9:10am On Apr 10, 2013
Come to think of it, didn't Jacob court Rachel for 7yrs

I believe people involved in a relationship knows if it's heading to marriage or not.
Re: Long Courtship Is Bad Business By Funke Egbemode by bukatyne(f): 9:17am On Apr 10, 2013
meyri: Unfortunately many set themselves up for long courtship, like dating a person who still in school or while you are in school. You automatically enter in the waiting game approximately 4-7 years bc u or the person has to finish school, find a job, and set themselves up. Then pray that years from now that you or this person still like each other, not that either of you have done something wrong, but because people change. You not the same person at 25 that you were at 18. Uni days should be for forming friendships, connections, and finding out who you are.Finish school, find a job, and enjoy being single. Then dating/courting and marriage will fall in place. By then you should be mature, know what you want, and secure. You don't find yourself stuck in relationships because of uncertainties or insecurities,if need be you know how to find a exit. You know what you want in marriage mate and you go looking till u find him/her. Yeah it easier said then done, but it makes sense.

So you mean if you met someone you loved back in school you wouldn't date the person?

How do you know that finishing school and getting a job equals been matured? or that 18yr olds are not matured to know what they want? What gives you the impression that people dating in school don't enjoy their singleness?

Is it all short courtships that end in marriages or happy marriages?

I have seen work (mature) relationships that fail woefully. I would however agree that some school relationships were destined for doom from the very beginning.
Re: Long Courtship Is Bad Business By Funke Egbemode by adconline(m): 9:31am On Apr 10, 2013
Cherechy: It baffles me when I hear guys say they are trying to put one or two things together before getting married. In d case of those still in school or studying it's understandable but in d case of a grown ass man, working and lives on his own I don't get.
This in my opinion is jst a useless excuse to buy time. A guy that is ready for marriage will get married, regardless of financial status. After all, shoemakers and okada pple marry everyday.
Like my sis will always say, no story has ever been told of a couple dt got married and now died of hunger. Once there's life, there's hope.
The money u spend on Mr Biggs chicken can buy one pampers, the money you use to hang out with ur buddies over d weekend, can make soup and stew, its all a matter of priority.
Some guys are working, their girlfriends too, yet they'll see they are not ready to settle down. I wonder the mansion they want to acquire or the car they want to buy!
Start small and move on from there. U want to write ICAN, who says marriage will inhibit you? What pple don't know is that there's a blessing that comes with marriage. U get married and all of a sudden, things start falling into place.
Please and please this long courtship of a thing should not be encouraged.
*drops mic

It does not make sense in this day and age to get married and bequeath your kids with little or nothing. The circle of hustling or living paycheck to paycheck continues. " to be born poor is destiny, but leaving your kids poor or poorer is selfishness and wickedness. Most women want to get married without thinking of how to pay for it while guys want to pay for it before getting married.
Re: Long Courtship Is Bad Business By Funke Egbemode by meyri: 10:14am On Apr 10, 2013
bukatyne:

So you mean if you met someone you loved back in school you wouldn't date the person?

How do you know that finishing school and getting a job equals been matured? or that 18yr olds are not matured to know what they want? What gives you the impression that people dating in school don't enjoy their singleness?

Is it all short courtships that end in marriages or happy marriages?

I have seen work (mature) relationships that fail woefully. I would however agree that some school relationships were destined for doom from the very beginning.

U don't automatically love a person then date that person..... I avoid dating while in school, if my intention of dating is to eventually marry someone why get into a relationship if you cant see that person as a marriage mate or marriage in the near future. Time wasting.

You should be matured doesn't mean you will be mature...finishing school, getting a job, and being independent are big responsibilities u must have a level of maturity to be successful in these areas. An 18 year can be "mature" but is inexperienced, and is bound to change. I dont see how you can be in relationship and be considered single. Unless dating is considered hanging out w/ friends.

I don't agree with either long or short courtships. Now whether that turn into a marriage or a happy marriage depends on the two individuals it not a time factor. That notwithstanding, within a short amount of time you should easily be able to decide whether or not a person is right for you. Your relationships continue to grow and you continue to fall in love while married. So I don't see why courting should take years.

Any relationship is bound to fail it a given. It depends on the persons involve.
Re: Long Courtship Is Bad Business By Funke Egbemode by meyri: 10:18am On Apr 10, 2013
adconline:

It does not make sense in this day and age to get married and bequeath your kids with little or nothing. The circle of hustling or living paycheck to paycheck continues. " to be born poor is destiny, but leaving your kids poor or poorer is selfishness and wickedness. Most women want to get married without thinking of how to pay for it while guys want to pay for it before getting married.
\

Then don't have kids. I don't see how people can immediately start having kids soon after marriage. Children should be planned. It should be marriage...years...then kids.
Re: Long Courtship Is Bad Business By Funke Egbemode by emmatmg: 11:41am On Apr 10, 2013
What do I do? My fiance said that sha can't wait for me...I want her to wait for 3yrs so that i can put some things in place, what do I doooooo
Re: Long Courtship Is Bad Business By Funke Egbemode by GraceBestowed(f): 1:13pm On Apr 10, 2013
fresh_dude: They are usually ready because all they have to do when married is sit on their arsses and spend the guy's money(if they wanted to). Any sensible man will be fully confident of ability to, at least, provide before he begins to make moves as per starting a family.
No, uncle! It's not every woman that just want a guy's money. Most responsible women, ready to settle, are ready to work hard, and build a home with a man.
Re: Long Courtship Is Bad Business By Funke Egbemode by adconline(m): 2:43pm On Apr 10, 2013
meyri: \

Then don't have kids. I don't see how people can immediately start having kids soon after marriage. Children should be planned. It should be marriage...years...then kids.

Marriage should be planned ahead of kids cos marriage is the precursor to having kids in our traditional society.
Re: Long Courtship Is Bad Business By Funke Egbemode by bukatyne(f): 3:05pm On Apr 10, 2013
meyri:

U don't automatically love a person then date that person..... I avoid dating while in school, if my intention of dating is to eventually marry someone why get into a relationship if you cant see that person as a marriage mate or marriage in the near future. Time wasting

I don't understand the bolded...
What's the probability that you will meet the man you love when you start work or you are 'matured' to marry?
What if the man destined for you was in your university?
What if you see the man you love in the university?

meyri: You should be matured doesn't mean you will be mature...finishing school, getting a job, and being independent are big responsibilities u must have a level of maturity to be successful in these areas. An 18 year can be "mature" but is inexperienced, and is bound to change. I dont see how you can be in relationship and be considered single. Unless dating is considered hanging out w/ friends

I see single here to mean unmarried.

I disagree that one must always attain a level of maturity to achieve those things. I have seen very immature people attain them

myeri: I don't agree with either long or short courtships. Now whether that turn into a marriage or a happy marriage depends on the two individuals it not a time factor. That notwithstanding, within a short amount of time you should easily be able to decide whether or not a person is right for you. Your relationships continue to grow and you continue to fall in love while married. So I don't see why courting should take years.

Any relationship is bound to fail it a given. It depends on the persons involve.

True the length of courtship doesn't always determine a happy home.
Married people always surprise each other so you can't know if a person is right for you or not within a short time.
Re: Long Courtship Is Bad Business By Funke Egbemode by bukatyne(f): 3:08pm On Apr 10, 2013
meyri: \

Don't make blanket statements...

A woman marries at 33yrs,

How many years should she wait?

2? 3? 4?

Even Omotola that got married very early still had her kids immediately.

Why should a person plan for his/her kids AFTER marriage?

1 Like

Re: Long Courtship Is Bad Business By Funke Egbemode by akposdude(m): 3:13pm On Apr 10, 2013
Re:long courtship can be a bad biz if i lack understanding & love as d primary precipices for all healthy relationship, yrs of courtship could bring partners to knows each others better
Re: Long Courtship Is Bad Business By Funke Egbemode by meyri: 10:57pm On Apr 10, 2013
bukatyne:

Don't make blanket statements...

A woman marries at 33yrs,

How many years should she wait?

2? 3? 4?

Even Omotola that got married very early still had her kids

Why should a person plan for his/her kids AFTER marriage?

Hopefully at age 33 you should be financially stable to be able to support children.
Whether or not you plan before or after marriage the time to have kids is not the point. It not always necessary to have kids immediately after marriage..it good to wait to there is financial stability. A lot of people marry w/o being where they want to be financial, but work together as a couple to get there. So during this time they will put off having kids.
Re: Long Courtship Is Bad Business By Funke Egbemode by Nobody: 12:23am On Apr 11, 2013
GraceBestowed: No, uncle! It's not every woman that just want a guy's money. Most responsible women, ready to settle, are ready to work hard, and build a home with a man.
Of course not, which is why I used the term "usually." And of course, there are sensible, responsible women. But, have you ever "wondered" why women are "usually" more ready than their male age mates?
Re: Long Courtship Is Bad Business By Funke Egbemode by adconline(m): 12:40am On Apr 11, 2013
meyri:

Hopefully at age 33 you should be financially stable to be able to support children.
Whether or not you plan before or after marriage the time to have kids is not the point. It not always necessary to have kids immediately after marriage..it good to wait to there is financial stability. A lot of people marry w/o being where they want to be financial, but work together as a couple to get there. So during this time they will put off having kids.
Why not get financially stable before talking of marriage? It seems that most folks who are clamouring for ASAP marriage are simply looking for someone to pay for their source of happiness i.e. marriage. if u believe that marriage is going to make u a complete and happier person, why not save up for that instead of waiting for someone to pay for that.
Re: Long Courtship Is Bad Business By Funke Egbemode by meyri: 12:55pm On Apr 11, 2013
bukatyne: .

I don't understand the bolded...
What's the probability that you will meet the man you love when you start work or you are 'matured' to marry?
What if the man destined for you was in your university?
What if you see the man you love in the university?

I see single here to mean unmarried.

I disagree that one must always attain a level of maturity to achieve those things. I have seen very immature people attain them

True the length of courtship doesn't always determine a happy home.
Married people always surprise each other so you can't know if a person is right for you or not within a short time.

Destiny na destiny. If something is destined to happen it will happen. No matter what path it takes to get there you eventually fulfill that destiny. Whats the probability u will find your man in uni and he will marry you? You take your chances. Overall if you don't want a long courtship avoid dating while in school. At the same time that doesn't mean be a recluse while in school, make friends just without commitments. Be single(not in a relationship). Personally I cant be a liability in a relationship, I have to make my own money. So just as I expect from myself, I expect the same from my partner. Im sorry but a student just cant do that.

Whether you date for a short period or a long period you cant know everything about a person. Marriage is a leap of faith. But usually in your head or on paper you have certain qualities that you look for in partner. Within a short amt of time you can automatically eliminate those who doesn't fit your criteria.
Re: Long Courtship Is Bad Business By Funke Egbemode by Nobody: 8:16pm On Apr 11, 2013
There have been so many responses to my earlier post that it'll be difficult to reply all now.
The most important thing is that does that want to take away something from it have already done that.
The only point I'll add is that most men innocently really want to save up and acquire a bit before bringing in the woman, but they usually end up wasting valuable years. At d end of the day, a man is 38-40 yrs and now decides to get married. At 50 he's still doing school run.
I always advise young men to start early. That u're not financially where you want to be now, doesn't mean it's going to be the same in 10yrs. I would have shared a story but I'm sure y'all get my point.
The catch is, getting a working woman too. Your combined salary can tide you over monthly while at the same time you seek to improve in your chosen careers and hopefully in finances too.
Re: Long Courtship Is Bad Business By Funke Egbemode by SmartMugu: 5:55am On Sep 11, 2015
GraceBestowed:
In courtship, anything more than a year is something else, abeg! If dude cannot make it official after then (by proposing), my dear sisters, walk away!

It's not about being in a fifteen year relationship, with two children, calling some guy 'partner', instead of 'hubby'. I reject nonsense!

The scenario doesn't apply to everyone. I'm married and we courted for five years. We've been married now for another five years with two kids. In other words, 5 years exploring, another 5 years in the name of 'marriage' but still watching.

Not saying everyone should court for that long, moving from being single to a family person is a huge jump that everyone should really be sure about before getting into it.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What Is The Disadvantage Of Dating You / Canada Finally Humbled Me With Pussy After 8months: Pictures / Nollywood: Pictures Of Cossy Orjiakor's Sex Scene With Dog Surfaces (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.