Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,856 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:21 PM

Long Courtship Is Bad Business By Funke Egbemode - Romance (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Long Courtship Is Bad Business By Funke Egbemode (16028 Views)

10 Reasons Why Long Courtship Should Be Avoided By Ladies. / Strange ‘firers’ And ‘firees’ By Funke Egbemode / Long Courtship Is Bad Business By Funke Egbemode (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Long Courtship Is Bad Business By Funke Egbemode by emmatmg: 10:37pm On Apr 08, 2013
THIS SOUNDS LIKE THE TALK FROM AN EXPERIENCED LADY. IF I AMY ASK HAVE BEEN JILTED BEFROE? cheesy
Re: Long Courtship Is Bad Business By Funke Egbemode by Juicysam(m): 5:35am On Apr 09, 2013
Celibacy on my mind,whetin them dey use woman do self#hisses# marriage=having 35 channel tv and only permitted to watch one.{monotony and boredom}
Re: Long Courtship Is Bad Business By Funke Egbemode by Juicysam(m): 5:43am On Apr 09, 2013
Cherechy: It baffles me when I hear guys say they are trying to put one or two things together before getting married. In d case of those still in school or studying it's understandable but in d case of a grown ass man, working and lives on his own I don't get.
This in my opinion is jst a useless excuse to buy time. A guy that is ready for marriage will get married, regardless of financial status. After all, shoemakers and okada pple marry everyday.
Like my sis will always say, no story has ever been told of a couple dt got married and now died of hunger. Once there's life, there's hope.
The money u spend on Mr Biggs chicken can buy one pampers, the money you use to hang out with ur buddies over d weekend, can make soup and stew, its all a matter of priority.
Some guys are working, their girlfriends too, yet they'll see they are not ready to settle down. I wonder the mansion they want to acquire or the car they want to buy!
Start small and move on from there. U want to write ICAN, who says marriage will inhibit you? What pple don't know is that there's a blessing that comes with marriage. U get married and all of a sudden, things start falling into place.
Please and please this long courtship of a thing should not be encouraged.
*drops mic
#appealing opinion#
Re: Long Courtship Is Bad Business By Funke Egbemode by Ogadtop(m): 6:08am On Apr 09, 2013
i courted with my wife for 11 yrs,we met while in secondary school.the 11yrs courtship was blisful and romantic though,i will not encourage any1,expecially ladies to risk long courtship.men have nothing to lose.we are married for 3 yrs and i love my wife i must confess.its a risk fot ladies.
Re: Long Courtship Is Bad Business By Funke Egbemode by chichi414: 6:17am On Apr 09, 2013
Nice write up to my own point of viwe what work for me may not work for you.but with God everything is possiable
Re: Long Courtship Is Bad Business By Funke Egbemode by JisolaMar(f): 8:18am On Apr 09, 2013
Cherechy: It baffles me when I hear guys say they are trying to put one or two things together before getting married. In d case of those still in school or studying it's understandable but in d case of a grown ass man, working and lives on his own I don't get.
This in my opinion is jst a useless excuse to buy time. A guy that is ready for marriage will get married, regardless of financial status. After all, shoemakers and okada pple marry everyday.
Like my sis will always say, no story has ever been told of a couple dt got married and now died of hunger. Once there's life, there's hope.
The money u spend on Mr Biggs chicken can buy one pampers, the money you use to hang out with ur buddies over d weekend, can make soup and stew, its all a matter of priority.
Some guys are working, their girlfriends too, yet they'll see they are not ready to settle down. I wonder the mansion they want to acquire or the car they want to buy!
Start small and move on from there. U want to write ICAN, who says marriage will inhibit you? What pple don't know is that there's a blessing that comes with marriage. U get married and all of a sudden, things start falling into place.
*drops mic

God bless u, sweet! kiss
Re: Long Courtship Is Bad Business By Funke Egbemode by miss20(f): 8:49am On Apr 09, 2013
bukatyne: What do you call long courtship?

There is no blanket for all cases.

I meant my fiancé when we were in 100L,

Whether we like it or not, we must date for at least 5yrs (4yrs in school and 1yr NYSC)

let's say we are extremely lucky and we get jobs the day we get our NYSC discharge certificate. Then, we would work at least for a year b/4 we can get married... that's 6yrs. (If there is a delay for one or more year b/4 getting jobs, it increases our courtship years more.)

We were lucky and got jobs 1year after service... We are currently in year 7 and will get married in year 8 by God's grace.

There are however some obvious time wasters especially when both or the man has started working before they meet.
]wow ur relatnshp is realy cool.ur case is diff.I tink d lady was talking abt relationships wer the guy is comfortable financially 4 marraige.nd even if hiz nt,d girl shuld knw if hiz going to marry her wen hiz financially ok.u probably stayed wit ur man cus u both loved each other nd u knew he loved u enof to marry u.wishn u d best in dat relatnship jare,its nt easy
Re: Long Courtship Is Bad Business By Funke Egbemode by bukatyne(f): 9:11am On Apr 09, 2013
miss20: ]wow ur relatnshp is realy cool.ur case is diff.I tink d lady was talking abt relationships wer the guy is comfortable financially 4 marraige.nd even if hiz nt,d girl shuld knw if hiz going to marry her wen hiz financially ok.u probably stayed wit ur man cus u both loved each other nd u knew he loved u enof to marry u.wishn u d best in dat relatnship jare,its nt easy

Thanks kiss

I understand the OP perfectly. I made a post to that effect.
Re: Long Courtship Is Bad Business By Funke Egbemode by Nobody: 9:13am On Apr 09, 2013
Miss Ope:

Please dear..can u pls tell me how God confirms to us...dat a particular guy / lady is is will for us
1. you can pray and ask God to reveal if such a person is........
2.You and the person must be on the same level of revelation not just same religion but same principles and understanding of whom God is and what God wants. most importantly if you are born again your spouse should not be 'born against' very important.
3.you must like the person involved enough to get married.
Re: Long Courtship Is Bad Business By Funke Egbemode by Nobody: 10:15am On Apr 09, 2013
32-D:

[size=14pt]i just dont know what to say to u....just 1 year....as in 12 months?? sincerely i cant even tell in 12 months if i love a gal enuf to spend d rest of ma life with her....am i weird or something?[/size]
yes you're weird
Re: Long Courtship Is Bad Business By Funke Egbemode by Nobody: 10:50am On Apr 09, 2013
Op, you are right on point. God bless you...Some guys are really time wasters sad... I can't date a guy for up to 2 yrs and no marriage on the cards?...nah, I can't...ladies av to be strong , face realities of life. Or else, some could loose all..or contend with any circumstances.. Parents have to sum up to their responsibilities of training their sons to have conscience & responsibility and their daughters to be a good and responsible wives to their partners..it's well.
Re: Long Courtship Is Bad Business By Funke Egbemode by Nobody: 10:55am On Apr 09, 2013
emmatmg: THIS SOUNDS LIKE THE TALK FROM AN EXPERIENCED LADY. IF I AMY ASK HAVE BEEN JILTED BEFROE? cheesy

Emma, everybody has been Jilted before, one way or the other. ..Including YOU.....The good and empowering thing, is cut yur losses, check yur mistakes then move on.
Re: Long Courtship Is Bad Business By Funke Egbemode by alphaconde(m): 11:19am On Apr 09, 2013
*drops mic

Its take a lot to get married. One can always feed so its not all about feeding. People got their first car as cheap ones others had their first cars as expensive ones so that's standard. U need to be able to assume the status/ duty of a captain to be a husband/father u just don't hurriedly do that. Please give us time we need all the time we can get.

#hands mic back to u#
Re: Long Courtship Is Bad Business By Funke Egbemode by AtheistD(m): 12:09pm On Apr 09, 2013
Temi 23:

It sounds wow.... You can't start courting without friendship at first then relationship will be second level after then courtship will follow. And to my definition, courtship is a period during which couple develop a romantic relationship and a behavior to persuade someone to marry you. So for a courtship to be 4 yrs is even too long if you don't count the friendship level and relationship stage.

Marriage can be a financial burden. The average cost of weddings in the UK is somewhere between 8-10k GBP. Also, expect pregnancy within a year of marriage and a year out due to child birth. What about a buying a new house with a mortgage within the first 2 years of marriage (which most newly married couples would like to opt for).

Two working partners becomes 1 for 2 years after marriage and it would affect both the finances and the career paths of both partners. These days people see it as prudent to save a bit for such and 5 years may give good time to settle things.
Re: Long Courtship Is Bad Business By Funke Egbemode by papaGEJ: 12:19pm On Apr 09, 2013
Long courtship can b a bad bizness 4 u nd a gud one 4 me, dere's no yardstick use in measuring courtship, it al depends on d individuals involvd. What i knw is dat as an adult, we shld b able 2 knw diff btw a courtship dat wil lead 2 marriage nd d 1 dat wil nt. If u re in a courtship dat u knw dat wil lead 2 marriage, no mata how long or short it is pls stay, bt if it wil nt, wakanow.com. No body wld want 2 delay afta finding his dream wife bt because of so many factors dats y d delay.
Re: Long Courtship Is Bad Business By Funke Egbemode by AtheistD(m): 12:26pm On Apr 09, 2013
Habiolar: @ op , 9ce write up,but to my opinion, wht works 4 u might nt work 4 some1 else. I had a neighbor dt he&his wife court 4 9yrs b4 getting married & up till nw, dey are happily married with kids. Me&my Gf is nw going to 5yrs relationship nw yet we still luv eachoda dearly & I still hv to 2-3yrs b4 settling down, because I hv to put tinz in place. Mind u, if I make money 2day,I'll marry her months after.
To business, 4 ur polo shirt, round neck,v-neck, sportwears 4 kids&adults . Call 07031122496 BB: 220DC3e9. Tanks.

Same here. I have a friend who dated for 10 years before marriage and are happily married now. It can happen if the partners are really certain and work together. They are agemates.
Re: Long Courtship Is Bad Business By Funke Egbemode by bukatyne(f): 2:54pm On Apr 09, 2013
Oga-@-d-top:
i courted with my wife for 11 yrs,we met while in secondary school.the 11yrs courtship was blisful and romantic though,i will not encourage any1,expecially ladies to risk long courtship.men have nothing to lose.we are married for 3 yrs and i love my wife i must confess.its a risk fot ladies.

Can you expatiate?

Imagine your wife heard this and decided not to wait for you?

I think the poster means period of proposal till the wedding day
Re: Long Courtship Is Bad Business By Funke Egbemode by mko2005: 3:32pm On Apr 09, 2013
Why go into courtship in the first place ? Una don come again with all these courtship things !
God help us
Re: Long Courtship Is Bad Business By Funke Egbemode by FXKing2012(m): 3:41pm On Apr 09, 2013
m.k.o2005:
Why go into courtship in the first place ? Una don come again with all these courtship things !
God help us
Is it wrong?
Re: Long Courtship Is Bad Business By Funke Egbemode by Drdreluv: 4:12pm On Apr 09, 2013
*drops mic
.................na so na make i finish my ican jare women are nonesense
Re: Long Courtship Is Bad Business By Funke Egbemode by salt1: 4:42pm On Apr 09, 2013
Men want time. Women want security. And in this game, the women are often the losers. That is the truth whether we like it or not.
We agreed to marry in June and wedded February the following year. If I had to do it all over, I'll still do it same way.

Men, don't play tricks with someone's emotions: she's a daughter and a sister. What you don't want another man to do to your sister or daughter, don't do to someone you profess to love.

Long courtship (beyond a year) never never! I've seen ladies who worked and helped the man through school and her thank you was a wedding invitation card from the man.
When you're ready to marry, just marry.
Re: Long Courtship Is Bad Business By Funke Egbemode by ayobase(m): 8:36pm On Apr 09, 2013
onyeahams: I don’t know how it works for men but long courtship is bad business for a woman, a right thinking woman. And this is not about lack of patience on a girl’s part. It’s simply and totally about common sense. Letting a man dangle you on his key strings is dumb and dangerous and a bloody waste of time, and time is what a woman doesn’t have and that goes beyond biological clock.

Sure a short courtship has its own draw-backs , it is the real reason why long courtship is bad. Before you come up with the aged argument of how a woman needs to study a man, show me a wife who can swear that she absolutely knew her man before she said ‘ I do’. Men are closed books and you can’t judge them by their macho covers. It takes time to know a man. Okay, and a woman too. So? Short courtship is not good for anybody. Neither is long courtship. The sane thing is to stay in the middle of the long and the short courtship.

Find a middle road. It’s either a relationship is serious or it is not. You are either heading for the altar or the rocks. If you are dating a man and in all of the 52 weeks that make a year, you don’t smell seriousness, you’ve been had. Cut your losses and take a walk. The earlier the better. Hanging on to nothing is foolhardy and you know what is most saddening; most women in relationships that are going nowhere are actually aware of the fact. They are just too afraid to cut loose; you know all that nonsense about ‘where do I start from’ bla bla bla. If you don’t end a bad affair while time is still on your side, you are liable to end up a lonely touchy old maid.

A long courtship going nowhere strips a woman of her dignity and self-esteem. Because she is hoping that tomorrow will persuade him to make an honest woman of her, she shoos off other eligible males. Because she thinks he’d propose at the next valentine dinner, she discourages the real Mr Right. She reads stupid meanings into everything he says or does even when the bloke means nothing. For instance, she mistakes his presence at her mother’s 60th birthday for commitment of an acting son-in-law. Nonsense, it’s just another party for him.

So what if he attended with his friends? Did he not attend parties the previous weekend? What are you doing in a three-year relationship that is about eateries, Chinese restaurants and you acting like a wife every weekend? You do his laundry, warm his bed and cook his meals every week, yet he won’t buy a ring. Naah, you are either a fool or a sucker for pain. He makes love to you without protection but starts fretting if you are three days late. You have overheard him tell his friends that he’s not in a hurry to settle down. What else do you need to convince you that marriage is not on the cards? Now, his bad manners shouldn’t make you lose faith in yourself.

That he won’t propose does not mean you are not a wife material. He’s just not the groom meant for you. You can’t remain his plaything forever while he enjoys the best of both worlds – you play wifey at weekends, he plays the field all week. What insult! Chalk his attitude up as a vote of no-confidence in his upbringing. A man who leads a young woman on, knowing he would not marry her was badly brought up by his mother and his father taught him nothing. Above all, he’s sowing evil seeds for his daughters to reap later. Leave him to his reprobate heart and move on. LADIES,BE WISE.

My siggy is the summary of this long piece!
Read and digest!

1 Like

Re: Long Courtship Is Bad Business By Funke Egbemode by xeexee1: 9:28pm On Apr 09, 2013
100likes
Re: Long Courtship Is Bad Business By Funke Egbemode by Dacore: 9:42pm On Apr 09, 2013
Babzilla: WHAT THE FCK DO Y'ALL KNOW
HURRY HURRY HAS NO BLESSINGS
THIS HORSESHIT IS THE THEORY OF A DESPERATE CHIC
AND ALL THE DESPERATE CHICS GOBBLE IT UP
LIKE ITS JELL-O
I SAY BROTHERS TAKE UR SWEET EASY TIME WITH CHICS
MOST OF THEM R LIKE SLEEPER CELLS
TIME REVEALS ALL THINGS
AND TIME WILL TELL IF U GOT A WIFE OR A HO
A WIFE WONT MIND THE WAIT
BUT A HO?................

I don't normally comment around here but i am with you on this topic....time is important to get some kinds of information about people. No hurry my brothers....no matter what others say. If you live fast you will die fast.
Re: Long Courtship Is Bad Business By Funke Egbemode by adconline(m): 7:44am On Apr 10, 2013
Another epistle of how women should be married after a first date. Ask them how much is a tin of Similac, they don't know, yet they want to be married ASAP.
Re: Long Courtship Is Bad Business By Funke Egbemode by Nobody: 8:06am On Apr 10, 2013
Jisola Mar:

IMO, what you described above is not entirely courtship. Which 100L guy proposes to a lady? It is actually dating which then progressed into courtship.
If you notice, the OP was refering to ladies & gents who were/should be ready for marriage and not students, who obviously still have more important things than marriage to settle.

Courtship starts when a marriage proposal is made and accepted. Then, you begin to plan your futures together and generally prepare for the wedding ceremony(ies?). Anything before then will just be friendship (as i would rather call it), dating, boyfriend-girlfriend relationship, etc.

I agree wt the OP that if a man doesnt propose in 52 weeks and u dont c seriousness/commitment/what could be impending him, then u shld take a walk...that's why as ladies we should try as much as possible not give in to 5ex demands...usu it makes u love up, think we av given so much & not easily c the danger signals...

Going by this, the OP has no point seeing as courtship begins when there's an actual proposal. Now, the issue of spending too long after proposal is one to look into. Nice one Jisola.
Re: Long Courtship Is Bad Business By Funke Egbemode by Nobody: 8:16am On Apr 10, 2013
GraceBestowed:

Most guys want everything to be perfect before they get married, so they usually take time to get 'ready', as opposed to women who are usually ready.
They are usually ready because all they have to do when married is sit on their arsses and spend the guy's money(if they wanted to). Any sensible man will be fully confident of ability to, at least, provide before he begins to make moves as per starting a family.
Re: Long Courtship Is Bad Business By Funke Egbemode by Nobody: 8:21am On Apr 10, 2013
ruthosquare: because he is all I wanted in a man. It takes two to tango
Meaning he's financially stable above every other quality. This one na im oyinbo dey call half truth. Would you marry him in 2 months if he earned 50,000naira per month?
Re: Long Courtship Is Bad Business By Funke Egbemode by Nobody: 8:24am On Apr 10, 2013
Juicysam: marriage=having 35 channel tv and only permitted to watch one.{monotony and boredom}
You are so wrong. Find proper marriage education.
Re: Long Courtship Is Bad Business By Funke Egbemode by Nobody: 8:29am On Apr 10, 2013
bukatyne:

Can you expatiate?

Imagine your wife heard this and decided not to wait for you?

I think the poster means period of proposal till the wedding day
Nope. OP used period of commencement of relationship to mean courtship. This is apparent when she says this:
onyeahams: Because she thinks he'll propose at the next valentine dinner

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Prophecy And Relationships / She Said I Blew Her Brains When I Did This / Why You Need To Ask The "Where Is This Relationship Going To?" Question

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.