Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,151 members, 7,835,846 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 04:08 PM

Long Courtship Is Bad Business By Funke Egbemode - Romance (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Long Courtship Is Bad Business By Funke Egbemode (16036 Views)

10 Reasons Why Long Courtship Should Be Avoided By Ladies. / Strange ‘firers’ And ‘firees’ By Funke Egbemode / Long Courtship Is Bad Business By Funke Egbemode (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Long Courtship Is Bad Business By Funke Egbemode by Nobody: 4:10pm On Apr 08, 2013
Long courtship is good bizness. God never defined courtship to include fornication and adultery. Take that away and what u have is courtship just the way God has defined it. If as a woman u decide to include sex in the bargain, as long is aint rape and u were willing, what da heck? Not all relationships lead to marriage neither do all marriages lead to relationships.
Re: Long Courtship Is Bad Business By Funke Egbemode by mysticgal(f): 4:16pm On Apr 08, 2013
but when a certain kind of courtship features,fornication,and living like marriage patners,i tell you it's gonna fail 100%
Re: Long Courtship Is Bad Business By Funke Egbemode by onyeahams: 4:20pm On Apr 08, 2013
How long can one knw his or her spouse bfor marriage?even in marriage couple stil get to knw eachoda. My mum describes marriage as a wrapped gift,you dnt knw whts inside until its opened. Its wise to always Pray to God for one who s compatible and understanding. There s no exact duration for courtship other than from 6mnths to 1yr.And if its a case where the man isnt financially buoyant but loves her,other little things can stil be done, like introduction and all....to give d lady's parents assurance that there 's plan for marriage. Marriage is a holy institution,we dnt choose who we marry but ask God for direction. And for those ladies doing 'Ekaetteism' in a man's house every weekend had beta av a retink. Washing his clothes,cooking, cleaning n stil warming his bed s no assurance that marriage is certain,rather he will say 'Y buy the cow wen he can av d milk for free'.

1 Like

Re: Long Courtship Is Bad Business By Funke Egbemode by GraceBestowed(f): 4:27pm On Apr 08, 2013
32-D:

[size=14pt]i just dont know what to say to u....just 1 year....as in 12 months?? sincerely i cant even tell in 12 months if i love a gal enuf to spend d rest of ma life with her....am i weird or something?[/size]
You're very normal, different strokes for different folks, we're not all going to have the same viewpoint.
Re: Long Courtship Is Bad Business By Funke Egbemode by GalaxyNoteII: 4:33pm On Apr 08, 2013
GraceBestowed: In courtship, anything more than a year is something else, abeg! If dude cannot make it official after then (by proposing), my dear sisters, walk away!

It's not about being in a fifteen year relationship, with two children, calling some guy 'partner', instead of 'hubby'. I reject nonsense!

But at what age? What would a 19-22 years old girl be doing with a marriage proposal ?
Re: Long Courtship Is Bad Business By Funke Egbemode by frederal(m): 4:35pm On Apr 08, 2013
Temi 23: Nice write up. I don't like long courtship anyway. grin

One nite stand, opposite of long courtship.
Re: Long Courtship Is Bad Business By Funke Egbemode by JisolaMar(f): 4:35pm On Apr 08, 2013
bukatyne: What do you call long courtship?

There is no blanket for all cases.

I meant my fiancé when we were in 100L,

Whether we like it or not, we must date for at least 5yrs (4yrs in school and 1yr NYSC)

let's say we are extremely lucky and we get jobs the day we get our NYSC discharge certificate. Then, we would work at least for a year b/4 we can get married... that's 6yrs. (If there is a delay for one or more year b/4 getting jobs, it increases our courtship years more.)

We were lucky and got jobs 1year after service... We are currently in year 7 and will get married in year 8 by God's grace.

There are however some obvious time wasters especially when both or the man has started working before they meet.

IMO, what you described above is not entirely courtship. Which 100L guy proposes to a lady? It is actually dating which then progressed into courtship.
If you notice, the OP was refering to ladies & gents who were/should be ready for marriage and not students, who obviously still have more important things than marriage to settle.

Courtship starts when a marriage proposal is made and accepted. Then, you begin to plan your futures together and generally prepare for the wedding ceremony(ies?). Anything before then will just be friendship (as i would rather call it), dating, boyfriend-girlfriend relationship, etc.

I agree wt the OP that if a man doesnt propose in 52 weeks and u dont c seriousness/commitment/what could be impending him, then u shld take a walk...that's why as ladies we should try as much as possible not give in to 5ex demands...usu it makes u love up, think we av given so much & not easily c the danger signals...

2 Likes

Re: Long Courtship Is Bad Business By Funke Egbemode by GraceBestowed(f): 4:40pm On Apr 08, 2013
Galaxy.Note.II:

But at what age? What would a 19-22 years old girl be doing with a marriage proposal ?

Whenever a women feels she's ready, then she should act accordingly!

I know that some people can meet each other in secondary school (for example), and be together for a long time; however, when a woman is ready to get married, and the man in her life is stalling, rather than hanging about like a sitting duck, she should walk, and not spend more than a year 'hoping'.

1 Like

Re: Long Courtship Is Bad Business By Funke Egbemode by Nobody: 4:52pm On Apr 08, 2013
what is a man looking for in a woman that it would take him ages to define the future. there is an age a man or woman gets to and you just know that any relationship you are entering should point to marriage. why should a girl of 28 still be sampling and wasting time with a palyer regardless of all fanfair. i think courtship or relationship should be for serious minded people with definite goal. courtship shouldnt be more than 6months to 1year maximum.

3 Likes

Re: Long Courtship Is Bad Business By Funke Egbemode by sheriffman(m): 4:57pm On Apr 08, 2013
While some of the things here may be true I want to say it worked for me.I was in one for about 6 years but now Am finally married to my BABY GIRL.
Re: Long Courtship Is Bad Business By Funke Egbemode by LondyC(f): 5:44pm On Apr 08, 2013
Thank yo for this very blunt post. You just hit the nail on the head. How can a lady just be in a relationship without having a hint on where it is headed? Dats stupidity. If u guys are dating then u should be closer dan normal friends and should be able to talk about everything including d aim for d 'dating' or watever u call it. Some ladies just want to be surprised when d guy asks her to marry him. Wat kinda nonsense is dat? So u waste 3yrs waiting to be surprised in one day? God help us all! Ladies, Be wiser!

1 Like

Re: Long Courtship Is Bad Business By Funke Egbemode by bukatyne(f): 5:48pm On Apr 08, 2013
Jisola Mar:

IMO, what you described above is not entirely courtship. Which 100L guy proposes to a lady? It is actually dating which then progressed into courtship.
Courtship starts when a marraiage proposal is made and accepted. Then, you begin to plan your futures together and generally prepare for the wedding ceremony(ies?). Anything before then will just be friendship (as i would rather call it), dating, boyfriend-girlfriend relationship, etc.

As you like it.

Anyways, the guy knew what he wanted right from then.

We built our relationship towards marriage and not date for dating sake.

As for planning for future, we have been doing that from the very beginning and will do it till death do us part.

I believe the people who are 'dating' seriously and know they will end up together start planning from the very beginning. The proposal might be for formality anyways.

For people who see each other, are ready to marry and have the means, then 2yrs is ok.

1 Like

Re: Long Courtship Is Bad Business By Funke Egbemode by Nobody: 5:54pm On Apr 08, 2013
WHAT THE FCK DO Y'ALL KNOW
HURRY HURRY HAS NO BLESSINGS
THIS HORSESHIT IS THE THEORY OF A DESPERATE CHIC
AND ALL THE DESPERATE CHICS GOBBLE IT UP
LIKE ITS JELL-O
I SAY BROTHERS TAKE UR SWEET EASY TIME WITH CHICS
MOST OF THEM R LIKE SLEEPER CELLS
TIME REVEALS ALL THINGS
AND TIME WILL TELL IF U GOT A WIFE OR A HO
A WIFE WONT MIND THE WAIT
BUT A HO?................
Re: Long Courtship Is Bad Business By Funke Egbemode by bharseeth(m): 6:08pm On Apr 08, 2013
Blah blah blah, people be talking like all fingers are equal. The duration of a relation is dependent on a lot of things; which includes majorly finance and education. Whether long or short. A shoe size can't fit all. Abeg, do as the situation warrants. Gbam! As for me, I would marry if and only if am able to stand on ma feet; without support. Shikena!

2 Likes

Re: Long Courtship Is Bad Business By Funke Egbemode by gafmod: 6:13pm On Apr 08, 2013
Hello everyone,I'll like to digress a little to clarify some issues here; since we all know that sex b4 marriage is a sin in the sight of God,therefore, saying long-term courtship works for someone is blatant disobedience to The Creator. My candid advice to the female folks is to wise-up and desist from having sex b4 marriage. Courtship is all about investigating about each others family background and getting to know each others likes and dislikes. However,courtship is only meant for responsible matured adults ready to start a family and shouldn't last beyond a year, PERIOD!!!

2 Likes

Re: Long Courtship Is Bad Business By Funke Egbemode by Nobody: 6:42pm On Apr 08, 2013
The Funke must be a real big fool. So I should hurry and end up with disgrace ?.

Ladies that are rushing to get hooked also get hurry to pack their things.

If a lady can't wait, it means; she's hiding some thing and probably scared of the news breaking out.

Why would a young man that is still gathering rush to alter of disaster and continuous fighting for reasons like, you don't bring money and etc.
Re: Long Courtship Is Bad Business By Funke Egbemode by Nobody: 6:44pm On Apr 08, 2013
bharseeth: Blah blah blah, people be talking like all fingers are equal. The duration of a relation is dependent on a lot of things; which includes majorly finance and education. Whether long or short. A shoe size can't fit all. Abeg, do as the situation warrants. Gbam! As for me, I would marry if and only if am able to stand on ma feet; without support. Shikena!

Thank you
Re: Long Courtship Is Bad Business By Funke Egbemode by Nobody: 6:57pm On Apr 08, 2013
It baffles me when I hear guys say they are trying to put one or two things together before getting married. In d case of those still in school or studying it's understandable but in d case of a grown ass man, working and lives on his own I don't get.
This in my opinion is jst a useless excuse to buy time. A guy that is ready for marriage will get married, regardless of financial status. After all, shoemakers and okada pple marry everyday.
Like my sis will always say, no story has ever been told of a couple dt got married and now died of hunger. Once there's life, there's hope.
The money u spend on Mr Biggs chicken can buy one pampers, the money you use to hang out with ur buddies over d weekend, can make soup and stew, its all a matter of priority.
Some guys are working, their girlfriends too, yet they'll see they are not ready to settle down. I wonder the mansion they want to acquire or the car they want to buy!
Start small and move on from there. U want to write ICAN, who says marriage will inhibit you? What pple don't know is that there's a blessing that comes with marriage. U get married and all of a sudden, things start falling into place.
Please and please this long courtship of a thing should not be encouraged.
*drops mic

12 Likes

Re: Long Courtship Is Bad Business By Funke Egbemode by andyanders: 7:27pm On Apr 08, 2013
The truth said here. Ladies take note.Most men are moving coffins that are ready to store you in their coffin and move on with their lives without feeling any remorse when they dump you and go their way. The slogan would be " Nothing dey there"
Pray not to have either a man or woman asking you to co-habit with him/her when he/she is not ready to settle down and DO NOT MARRY out of sympathy.

1 Like

Re: Long Courtship Is Bad Business By Funke Egbemode by Nobody: 7:29pm On Apr 08, 2013
bigfat08: [size=15pt]i courted for 10yrs really didn't worth it ...[/size]

Meaning you have character not have known the person.

Ten years or ten days ??
Re: Long Courtship Is Bad Business By Funke Egbemode by Myah001(f): 7:34pm On Apr 08, 2013
Long courtship is bad business, so also is short courtship....its a game of luck... if you argue the short courtship is the best, some people went down that road and where out in less than a week into the marriage and if you say long courtship works best, humans are capable of a very high degree of pretense untill they get what their after. bottom line is to always look properly before you leap, never use anybody's clock as your timer. its not all sheep's that say and look like a sheep is actually a sheep, some are leopards in sheep's clothing.
Re: Long Courtship Is Bad Business By Funke Egbemode by GalaxyNoteII: 7:39pm On Apr 08, 2013
GraceBestowed:

Whenever a women feels she's ready, then she should act accordingly!

I know that some people can meet each other in secondary school (for example), and be together for a long time; however, when a woman is ready to get married, and the man in her life is stalling, rather than hanging about like a sitting duck, she should walk, and not spend more than a year 'hoping'.

I get your point. So it doesn't really depend on the length of the courtship, but when they're both ready then.

1 Like

Re: Long Courtship Is Bad Business By Funke Egbemode by Youngpo413: 7:47pm On Apr 08, 2013
Each year,each new c.,oc.k,that way is better,atleast relationships wouldn't be boring sef,this is a very good advice from madam,so ladies make una change dey go,who knows some can be lucky on the 7th or 10th coc.,ks,after all variety,they say is the spice of life.

This is just my point of view on this post.

1 Like

Re: Long Courtship Is Bad Business By Funke Egbemode by Youngpo413: 8:01pm On Apr 08, 2013
YoungSalute: The Funke must be a real big fool. So I should hurry and end up with disgrace ?.

If a lady can't wait, it means; she's hiding some thing and probably scared of the news breaking out.

Why would a young man that is still gathering rush to alter of disaster and continuous fighting for reasons like, you don't bring money and etc.

pls you are insulting that woman,do you know who she is?
That`s not fair.
Re: Long Courtship Is Bad Business By Funke Egbemode by GraceBestowed(f): 8:19pm On Apr 08, 2013
Galaxy.Note.II:

I get your point. So it doesn't really depend on the length of the courtship, but when they're both ready then.

My rule of thumb; as soon as the woman starts to want marriage (if she's already in a relationship) she shouldn't stay longer than a year if the guy's wasting time!

If a woman, who is ready to be a wife, gets into a relationship, and the guy is not saying anything within a year, she should find the nearest exit.

Most guys want everything to be perfect before they get married, so they usually take time to get 'ready', as opposed to women who are usually ready.

2 Likes

Re: Long Courtship Is Bad Business By Funke Egbemode by bharseeth(m): 8:34pm On Apr 08, 2013
YoungSalute: The Funke must be a real big fool. So I should hurry and end up with disgrace ?.

Let's mind the language pls. Its her (funke's) opinion/view, n we all have ours too. FOS- Freedom of Speech.
Re: Long Courtship Is Bad Business By Funke Egbemode by JoanJohnson(f): 8:45pm On Apr 08, 2013
[quote
author=32-D]
[size=14pt]i just dont know what to say to u....just 1 year....as in 12
months?? sincerely i cant even tell in 12 months if i love a
gal enuf to spend d rest of ma life with her....am i weird or
something?[/size][/quote]

My dear forget that tin u're saying oooo, i just attended a wedding this past weekend and they only dated for 8 months, i knw a couple who dated for 9 months and they got married, they are nw 10 yrs in marriage and very happy, its nt by the lent of time, our prayer shld be that God shld direct us to the right person and while prayer, we shld wait patiently for God's time.

2 Likes

Re: Long Courtship Is Bad Business By Funke Egbemode by biolabee(m): 9:03pm On Apr 08, 2013
Cherechy: It baffles me when I hear guys say they are trying to put one or two things together before getting married. In d case of those still in school or studying it's understandable but in d case of a grown ass man, working and lives on his own I don't get.
This in my opinion is jst a useless excuse to buy time. A guy that is ready for marriage will get married, regardless of financial status. After all, shoemakers and okada pple marry everyday.
Like my sis will always say, no story has ever been told of a couple dt got married and now died of hunger. Once there's life, there's hope.
The money u spend on Mr Biggs chicken can buy one pampers, the money you use to hang out with ur buddies over d weekend, can make soup and stew, its all a matter of priority.
Some guys are working, their girlfriends too, yet they'll see they are not ready to settle down. I wonder the mansion they want to acquire or the car they want to buy!
Start small and move on from there. U want to write ICAN, who says marriage will inhibit you? What pple don't know is that there's a blessing that comes with marriage. U get married and all of a sudden, things start falling into place.
Please and please this long courtship of a thing should not be encouraged.
*drops mic

It's important to be financially stable in a marriage
Women r the first to complain and bail when the going gets tuff
Re: Long Courtship Is Bad Business By Funke Egbemode by Temkins: 9:35pm On Apr 08, 2013
Habiolar: @ op , 9ce write up,but to my opinion, wht works 4 u might nt work 4 some1 else. I had a neighbor dt he&his wife court 4 9yrs b4 getting married & up till nw, dey are happily married with kids. Me&my Gf is nw going to 5yrs relationship nw yet we still luv eachoda dearly & I still hv to 2-3yrs b4 settling down, because I hv to put tinz in place. Mind u, if I make money 2day,I'll marry her months after.
To business, 4 ur polo shirt, round neck,v-neck, sportwears 4 kids&adults . Call 07031122496 BB: 220DC3e9. Tanks.

True talk bro...
Re: Long Courtship Is Bad Business By Funke Egbemode by ruthosquare: 9:57pm On Apr 08, 2013
If u say u want to spend some years with someone before u can get married to d person in other for u to knw d person's character, mehn u don jam rock. because human being in nature we are very pretentious and unpredictable. My hubby and I didn't even date up to two months before we got married and to God be the glory I don't have any reason to regret marrying him because he is all I wanted in a man. It takes two to tango
Re: Long Courtship Is Bad Business By Funke Egbemode by MissOpe(f): 9:57pm On Apr 08, 2013
onyeahams: How long can one knw his or her spouse bfor marriage?even in marriage couple stil get to knw eachoda. My mum describes marriage as a wrapped gift,you dnt knw whts inside until its opened. Its wise to always Pray to God for one who s compatible and understanding. There s no exact duration for courtship other than from 6mnths to 1yr.And if its a case where the man isnt financially buoyant but loves her,other little things can stil be done, like introduction and all....to give d lady's parents assurance that there 's plan for marriage. Marriage is a holy institution,we dnt choose who we marry but ask God for direction. And for those ladies doing 'Ekaetteism' in a man's house every weekend had beta av a retink. Washing his clothes,cooking, cleaning n stil warming his bed s no assurance that marriage is certain,rather he will say 'Y buy the cow wen he can av d milk for free'.

Please dear..can u pls tell me how God confirms to us...dat a particular guy / lady is is will for us
Re: Long Courtship Is Bad Business By Funke Egbemode by informat101(f): 10:30pm On Apr 08, 2013
Long cortship is pointless.is the day you get marrried, the real character of your spouse will start coming up.so many people pretend during courtship.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Pls Don't Judge Me Harshly But I Seem To Be Falling For Married Men / Why You Need To Ask The "Where Is This Relationship Going To?" Question / What Is The Disadvantage Of Dating You

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.