Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,186 members, 7,953,671 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 10:24 PM

More Progress On Benin-ore Road - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / More Progress On Benin-ore Road (30531 Views)

Each Time I Travel On Benin-ore Express Road, I Can't But Say God Bless GEJ / Progress On Benin-ore Road / Progress On Port Harcourt City Monorail (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

More Progress On Benin-ore Road by nahinbdis: 7:33am On Apr 19, 2013
It is 691 DAYS since GEJ was sworn for his 1st term as President. He has faced some of the worst form of distractions (boko haram insurgency, hostile and vitriolic attacks from the Opposition et al) in Nigerian Presidential History, yet it is gradually becoming clearer that this President stands a chance of writing his name on the positive side of Nigeria’s history books.

On this note, I bring you Season 2 of PROGRESS ON BENIN-ORE ROAD. (https://www.nairaland.com/1142884/progress-benin-ore-road)

I travelled on this road on Good Friday and I was amazed at the level of progress that has been made on the road. FACT: Benin-Ore road has not been this good in the last 20 YEARS! Ore - Benin is over 85% completed while Benin to Ore is somewhere around 70%. Note that total distance between between Ore and Benin is about 145kms http://www.distancesfrom.com/ng/distance-from-Benin-to-Ore-Ondo-Road/DistanceHistory/1540025.aspx

FACT: Not once did I have to drive on the other lane (some foolish drivers still do that between Shagamu - Ore, but NOBODY does that on Ore to Benin anymore)

ORE

2 Likes

Re: More Progress On Benin-ore Road by nahinbdis: 7:34am On Apr 19, 2013
More of Ore section

Re: More Progress On Benin-ore Road by nahinbdis: 7:37am On Apr 19, 2013
Work is still ongoing this 3km stretch close to Ofosu (This is more or less the only section left on the Ore to benin section)

Re: More Progress On Benin-ore Road by nahinbdis: 7:39am On Apr 19, 2013
More pictures of construction work. Note the drainages being constructed in areas prone to flooding

Re: More Progress On Benin-ore Road by nahinbdis: 7:40am On Apr 19, 2013
And its back to smooth driving!

Re: More Progress On Benin-ore Road by nahinbdis: 7:44am On Apr 19, 2013
Enter Edo State.

I was particularly thrilled by the road markings (forgive me if you are used to that in Obodo Oyinbo). This is not a regular feature on Nigerian interstate expressways and this is how the whole stretch will look like on completion.

1 Like

Re: More Progress On Benin-ore Road by nahinbdis: 7:46am On Apr 19, 2013
And on and on...

Re: More Progress On Benin-ore Road by nahinbdis: 7:48am On Apr 19, 2013
No mind the many pictures... before dem yab me say the 'pinshure' no reach.

Had to stop and take some more...

Re: More Progress On Benin-ore Road by nahinbdis: 7:51am On Apr 19, 2013
Enter Benin...

Re: More Progress On Benin-ore Road by nahinbdis: 7:52am On Apr 19, 2013
Ugbowo Area... Construction ongoing

Re: More Progress On Benin-ore Road by nahinbdis: 7:54am On Apr 19, 2013
Uwasota...

Re: More Progress On Benin-ore Road by nahinbdis: 7:56am On Apr 19, 2013
Uselu

1 Like

Re: More Progress On Benin-ore Road by nahinbdis: 8:17am On Apr 19, 2013
There you are!!!

FACT: The best roads in Benin are FEDERAL GOVT ROADS!

Benin Ore road goes through Ugbowo to Uselu, Five Junction, Iyaro, and terminates at Akpakpava.

Benin Asaba road goes through Depot to Agbor Park, Ramat Park, Ikpoba Hill, Akpakpava, Ring Road, Sapele Road and then on to Benin-Sapele Expressway. Note that there is a branch off of this road at Ikpoba Hill through Murtala Muhammed Road on to Sapele Road and through Murtala Muhammed Road on to Upper Sakponba Road and Benin Abraka Road.

Benin-Auchi Expressway runs through Eyaen, Aduwawa and joins Benin-Asaba Express at Ramat Park

FACT: All of these roads are currently motorable! And it is not correct that Oshiomhole fixes Federal roads in Benin. He merely plants flowers along the median and a couple of other beautification works and then claims the projects as his own e.g. Akpakpava Road through to Sapele Road.

7 Likes

Re: More Progress On Benin-ore Road by Sunnybobo3(m): 8:25am On Apr 19, 2013
GEJ is working, haters are tweeting.

8 Likes

Re: More Progress On Benin-ore Road by skillmachine: 8:44am On Apr 19, 2013
The Benin Ore road should be six lanes and a hard shoulder on both sides.
But this is a very good start. When it comes to roads, GEJ government have been the best thing since slice bread.

6 Likes

Re: More Progress On Benin-ore Road by skillmachine: 9:12am On Apr 19, 2013
nahinbdis: There you are!!!

FACT: The best roads in Benin are FEDERAL GOVT ROADS!

Benin Asaba road goes through Depot to Agbor Park, Ramat Park, Ikpoba Hill, Akpakpava, Ring Road, Sapele Road and then on to Benin-Sapele Expressway. Note that there is a branch off of this road at Ikpoba Hill through Murtala Muhammed Road on to Sapele Road and through Murtala Muhammed Road on to Upper Sakponba Road and Benin Abraka Road.

Benin-Auchi Expressway runs through Eyaen, Aduwawa and joins Benin-Asaba Express at Ramat Park

FACT: All of these roads are currently motorable! And it is not correct that Oshiomhole fixes Federal roads in Benin. He merely plants flowers along the median and a couple of other beautification works and then claims the projects as his own e.g. Akpakpava Road through to Sapele Road.
You are getting things mixed up.
The edo state government fixed a large section of Sapele road and Akpakpava road. Kindly note that fixing a road does not merely involved putting bitumen on it. The state government constructed storm drains, sidewalk and expanded the road All these are captured in the edo state budget which is still online for your verification.

Other major roads in the state like sapkoba road, siluku roads and airport road have also been expanded to six lanes with sidewalk by the state government. If you look closely at the pictures posted above, you will notice than there are additional lanes on both sides of the benin ore road (withing benin). That was done by the state government and it will includ underground drainage and side walk.

You are correct that all the major roads in benin are motorable. Infact they are all six lane dual carraige way with drainage and sidewalk. These are Airport road, Apkapkava, benin Ore road, sapele road, siluku roads. Each of these roads are around 5 miles long. Work have already started or about to start on other not so major roads like Ekenwan road, first east circuler road, second east circular road, third east circular road and Adesuwa road.

That is not to say the federal government are not doing well too. They have done really well. Infact in edo state, its like the federal government and the state government are in a competition of building roads. The federal government have done well in the benin ore road and also for the work that have started in the benin- abuja road.

9 Likes

Re: More Progress On Benin-ore Road by skillmachine: 9:12am On Apr 19, 2013
double post
Re: More Progress On Benin-ore Road by nahinbdis: 10:12am On Apr 19, 2013
skillmachine:
The edo state government fixed a large section of Sapele road and Akpakpava road. Kindly note that fixing a road does not merely involved putting bitumen on it. The state government constructed storm drains, sidewalk and expanded the road All these are captured in the edo state budget which is still online for your verification.

Other major roads in the state like sapkoba road, siluku roads and airport road have also been expanded to six lanes with sidewalk by the state government. If you look closely at the pictures posted above, you will notice than there are additional lanes on both sides of the benin ore road (withing benin). That was done by the state government and it will includ underground drainage and side walk.

You are correct that all the major roads in benin are motorable. Infact they are all six lane dual carraige way with drainage and sidewalk. These are Airport road, Apkapkava, benin Ore road, sapele road, siluku roads. Each of these roads are around 5 miles long. Work have already started or about to start on other not so major roads like Ekenwan road, first east circuler road, second east circular road, third east circular road and Adesuwa road.

That is not to say the federal government are not doing well too. They have done really well. Infact in edo state, its like the federal government and the state government are in a competition of building roads. The federal government have done well in the benin ore road and also for the work that have started in the benin- abuja road.

You have made some good points. But I disagree with you on Akpakpava Road.

Akpakpava road modification and beautification was first done by Osunbor. It is still amazing to hear Oshiomhole claim that he did that road.

In addition, the State Govt has failed to maximise the good and wide nature of the roads. For example, one lane on both sides of all major roads are filled with sand, hence not used as a lane. The spate of parking on the roads is also disturbing. I was just thinking in my mind most of the time that if these guys get the LASTMA treatment for one month, they will repent!
Re: More Progress On Benin-ore Road by phantom(m): 12:52pm On Apr 19, 2013
Currently on travelling on this highway.will post pictures when i get to PH.to be fair a lot of improvement is ongoing

1 Like

Re: More Progress On Benin-ore Road by Nobody: 1:11pm On Apr 19, 2013
@Op.., well done!

Meanwhile, lets reiterate the progress that have been made in the road sector in the last 2yrs. The following roads projects have been COMPLETED:

Vom-Manchok road (Plateau State), Yola-Numan road (Adamawa State), Gombe Bye-pass (Gombe State), Kaduna Refinery road (Kaduna State), Kano-Daura-Mai Adua road (Katsina State), Aba-Owerri road(Abia State), Onitsha-Owerri road (Anambra State) and Oyo-Ogbomosho road (Oyo State).

Massive work is ONGOING in various other highways in the 6 geo-political zones, including ongoing dualisation of Abuja–Abaji–Lokoja Road; Kano–Potiskum–Maiduguri Road; the Benin–Ore–Shagamu Expressway; the Onitsha–Enugu Expressway; the construction of the Loko–Oweto bridge( across River Benue); East-West road; dualisation of Benin-Lokoja road; Vandeikia-Obudu-Obodu Cattle Ranch road (Phase 1) in Benue State; Mbaise-Ngwa road in Imo/Abia states, with bridges at Imo River (Phase 1); Abriba-Arochukwu-Ohafia road, in Abia State (Phase 1); Makurdi-Gboko road Phase 1 Wannune-Yandev section, in Benue; Ohafia Abia State-Oso in Ebonyi; Sections 1A and 1B of Sokoto-Tambuwal-Jega-Kontagora Roads, respectively in Sokoto State, Kebbi and Niger; Kunya-Kanya-Babura-Babban Mutum Road in Jigawa; Zing-Yakoko-Monkin Road in Taraba; Alkeleri-Bauchi Road in Bauchi; Aguoba-Owa-Mgbagbu Owa-Ebenebe at the Anambra border to the Awaha-Oyofo-Iwollo Road in Enugu State; Ofa by-pass in Ofa council in Kwara; the Ikot-Ekpene border-Ada Owerri dualisation section phase one in Akwa-Ibom, Abia and Imo; Utor Bridge project on Asaba-Ebu-Uromi Road in Delta; Oshodi-Apapa road in Lagos; Ijebu Ode road in Ogun; etc, etc

Bad portions on almost all federal roads all over the country, not mentioned above, were fixed under a massive intervention called Project Safe Passage. The Lagos-Ibadan expressway and Enugu-Portharcourt roads were among roads that received attention under Project Safe Passage.

The Third Mainland bridge was not left out. Late last year, the EIGHT expansion joints of bridge was re-constructed. Recently, the bridge was re-surfaced by FERMA. Currently, the markings and lighting system of the bridge is being fixed by FERMA, in collaboration with SURE-P.

The ICING ON THE CAKE in the road sector this year will be commencement of work on the Second Niger Bridge (by Julius Berger), and commencement of full re-construction of Lagos-Ibadan and Enugu-Portharcourt expressways.

FRESH AIR everywhere you go!!

7 Likes

Re: More Progress On Benin-ore Road by Nobody: 1:20pm On Apr 19, 2013
skillmachine: The Benin Ore road should be six lanes and a hard shoulder on both sides.
But this is a very good start. When it comes to roads, GEJ government have been the best thing since slice bread.
6 lanes for an inter-state road? That will be wasteful and unnecessary.

1 Like

Re: More Progress On Benin-ore Road by thelastPope(m): 1:39pm On Apr 19, 2013
@OP, i commend you. I Just travelled through the road and enjoyed the ride especially between Ore and Benin which has always been the main problem of that road. Was even suprised at the road markings. Very nice. We didnt change lane once. It was all smooth ride. The only area where final work is still on going is after Ore to your right, if you are coming from Lagos. And it was just for like 5 km stretch or less. That road does need a complete reconstruction though because the original road was constructed in the 70s/80s. So I believe this is a great start before they start working on reconstructing it

1 Like

Re: More Progress On Benin-ore Road by thelastPope(m): 1:46pm On Apr 19, 2013
skillmachine:

Look, I like Oshiomole, but what he did is a quick fix. He did well in some inner city roads but Aiport road is been on for ages now and sakponba road is now abandoned. He made too much noice and played too much politics out of the whole thing. I do understand why he had to do that though. He needed to get the people on his side and reduce Anenihs influence. But the problem now is that the people will now judge him on his own performance and that will be a problem because he has simply stalled on his developments. Partly because of funds though. He wasted too much on the last elections. People are beginning to complain and he has to sit up.

But one good thing Oshiomole did do is that he brought a lot of hope after a very docile 8 year rule of Lucky Ingbinedion. Edo state politics is very tough and hot. I have always believed that the best person to rule in Edo state is someone outside the Benin tribe. Anytime a Benin man rules, he tends to be very complacent as if no one can challenge him. Maybe that will be different now since the competition has stepped up

1 Like

Re: More Progress On Benin-ore Road by otokx(m): 2:04pm On Apr 19, 2013
kudos to GEJ on the Benin - ore road

3 Likes

Re: More Progress On Benin-ore Road by Eziachi: 2:09pm On Apr 19, 2013
Is this the 8 (eight) lane modern motorway they promised and been doing since 1999?. 14 years waiting for a trunk B road?

2 Likes

Re: More Progress On Benin-ore Road by latsholly(f): 2:11pm On Apr 19, 2013
dats really good of d govt
Re: More Progress On Benin-ore Road by thelastPope(m): 2:11pm On Apr 19, 2013
Eziachi: Is this the eight (cool lane modern motorway they promised since 1999?

Keep it coming. Keep making a fool of yourself. grin

6 Likes

Re: More Progress On Benin-ore Road by bebe2(f): 2:13pm On Apr 19, 2013
tnk u o, for showing me my dearest city.
once i see dat red sand eh, my belle go start to sweet me grin
Re: More Progress On Benin-ore Road by 50calibre(m): 2:14pm On Apr 19, 2013
This shows how underdeveloped, dilapidated and dysfunctional Nigeria is, when you have common road repair, a basic amenity in many other countries making the news in Nigeria like its a big deal.

10 Likes

Re: More Progress On Benin-ore Road by tomakint: 2:14pm On Apr 19, 2013
...this main road has been 'perennially neglected' for ages by past administrations and now JONATHAN, the one many ACN goons branded clueless, Jonathan and all those unprintable names has risen to the occasion once again! Unfortunately, these same goons will still be the beneficiaries of these laudable projects they earlier 'condemned' kai, thuggery is a demonic thing ooo undecided

2 Likes

Re: More Progress On Benin-ore Road by kramer: 2:15pm On Apr 19, 2013
AM i the only one who noticed this undecided

2 Likes

Re: More Progress On Benin-ore Road by lekzwyc(m): 2:15pm On Apr 19, 2013
GEJ is working

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Secretary Of Cattle Herdsmen On Channels TV Live / Hoodlums Burn Ashaka Police Station In Delta, As Officers Kill 6 Armed Robbers / Lekki Port Ready For Delivery As It Reaches 80 Percent Completion

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.