Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,457 members, 7,816,068 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:05 AM

Saka 'Ported' From Etisalat To MTN: The True Story Emerges - Phones (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Saka 'Ported' From Etisalat To MTN: The True Story Emerges (45740 Views)

See The Hilarious Text I Received From Etisalat / Hilarious Message Received From Etisalat. (screen Shot) / 2gb Free Data From Etisalat. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Saka 'Ported' From Etisalat To MTN: The True Story Emerges by Jonwesley(m): 7:04am On Apr 25, 2013
[quote author=Connoisseur][/quote]

Well etisalat being a HIP HIP or HIPPY kind of brand has cut itself in the middle. The lesson here is that we should not fall for appearance of a person alone but also on what the person has in his faculty, I mean what he has in his brain. The man called saka is scholarly and a PHD holder with lots of scholastic achievements to his credit. But etisalat chose to pay Banky W and Co more being brand ambassadors but made only a comedy out of saka. MTN has only taken a begging chance to exploit the opportunity created. It means that MTN has a more delve and robustness in their ad over the rest. It might be the time for saka to be celebrated as he ought to be anyway. The man himself is an art, just take a better look at him.

1 Like

Re: Saka 'Ported' From Etisalat To MTN: The True Story Emerges by Nobody: 7:07am On Apr 25, 2013
w[b]hat is brand loyalty? if you port you too has committed brand prostittion an disloyalty. For crying out loud. The advet is on "PORTING". His move to MTN as for a commercail ad says all about the message he is trying to convey. And he too said it in the advert, that he has ported O! shoo! I give it to MTN marketing strategist there. It is all about porting. so he ported. very good situation for a very good advert. [/b]
Orikinla: . This should be a good topic for the focus group discussion of the Nigerian Consumers Opinion Forum. The switch of Saka from one competing brand to another is not good social marketing for either Etisalat or MTN. Brand loyalty means a lot to consumers. The credibility of the personality of Saka is exposed to public ridicule. No matter the claims of the advertisers, this campaign lacks credibility.
Re: Saka 'Ported' From Etisalat To MTN: The True Story Emerges by slimghost(m): 7:11am On Apr 25, 2013
pDude:

How much did Etisalat pay you to do this smear campaign undecided

See as etisalat don sharpaly start smear campaign on top nairaland o. Dem nor even waste time cheesy

This is no smear campaign dude, I experienced the same thing.
Re: Saka 'Ported' From Etisalat To MTN: The True Story Emerges by Nobody: 7:16am On Apr 25, 2013

2 Likes

Re: Saka 'Ported' From Etisalat To MTN: The True Story Emerges by xcuggsm(m): 7:55am On Apr 25, 2013
ferhyntorlah: In the next 1/2 months from now, this whole Saka don port will die a natural death. The social media is giving it so much buzz!

I heard this marketing strategy is a common thing in the US; I guess this is new to us here hence the media brouhaha it's generating.

For those who reside in the US, can you remember the Coke advert in which a man seen driving a Pepsi van was caught drinking Coke? It means that though he works at Pepsi, he still couldn't resist the taste of Coke!

This is just the beginning; more are still coming.
I also remember the BMW advert in the 80's that dissed Mercedes Benz with the caption;.
"The Chairman of Mercedes Benz drives a BMW"
And this was actually true in Germany at the time. Daimler Benz immediately reacted by making a customized Mercedes Benz executive salon car for their chairman and he stopped using the BMW.
Re: Saka 'Ported' From Etisalat To MTN: The True Story Emerges by smoothlips(m): 7:57am On Apr 25, 2013
Chanchit: But truth be told, Etisalat would feel like a dumped boyfriend now sha. tongue
common what's dis whole saka stuff.....etisalat will get someone else. Bet me; d advert (saka or not) no one is porting to MTN
Re: Saka 'Ported' From Etisalat To MTN: The True Story Emerges by madejibo: 7:59am On Apr 25, 2013
Jarus: With or without Saka, MTN and Airtel, especially 0803 and 0802, still remain choice lines, kind of status symbol. There is this perception of Glo and Etisalat as poor people's network.
I have ported to etisalat and I still have my 0803 number, class not destroyed only transferred

1 Like

Re: Saka 'Ported' From Etisalat To MTN: The True Story Emerges by Akeud(m): 8:01am On Apr 25, 2013
yusuf01: Now etisalat will value his character I believe. MTN played nicely on their 'slackness' to generate this buzz the ad is getting.

Though lots of people don't like MTN's network (myself inclusive) but lots will port just because of this ad.

MTN are known for quality ads (do you still remember the ad of the two couples dancing and that of the executive speech read out by a child to her dad?) but their network is trash...
Yes of course. Their network is annoying on a daily basis.
Re: Saka 'Ported' From Etisalat To MTN: The True Story Emerges by Akeud(m): 8:04am On Apr 25, 2013
[color=#990000][/color] You should have put the pic of the Saga.
Re: Saka 'Ported' From Etisalat To MTN: The True Story Emerges by gameboy727(m): 8:19am On Apr 25, 2013
Who da h.ell is Saka? Whats our business if he ports from etisalat to MTN?
Re: Saka 'Ported' From Etisalat To MTN: The True Story Emerges by Symphony007: 8:20am On Apr 25, 2013
Mtn is bullphuckey!! And no matter how many celebs they steal from etisalat, they're already on a downward spiral...this just shows you that mtn is really scared of etisalat. They never tried this stunt with glo,celtel,zain,airtel all networks(former and current). And the "port" is really fast track people's abandonment of their silly network. So no matter what they do, they are already crashing. Move back to S.A!!
Re: Saka 'Ported' From Etisalat To MTN: The True Story Emerges by cdz: 8:36am On Apr 25, 2013
This is interesting. I was just wondering: why is it okay for Saka to port and wrong for Reuben Abati to do the same if the reason for Saka's action is that MTN pays more than Etisalat? Both cases involve switch of loyalty for personal (at the expense of ethical) gain.

In an effort to justify Saka's action someone on this thread referred to how a Pepsi truck driver was portrayed as drinking Coke in a Coke advert. That's different - he's just a faceless truck driver and not a brand ambassador. Which Pepsi brand ambassador have you seen advertising for Coca Cola? Do you think that Coke couldn't afford to pay them more?

I'm not quite sure of the official ethical position of the advertising profession on Saka's action but I know that as a person of conscience, there comes a time when you have to say no to a bigger pay simply because the offer clashes with your ethics and negates what you hold to be right and good and true. Saka may make money from this move BUT I'm afraid it won't last for long because with this he has shot himself in the foot as a brand.

Think about it: if you own a business and you have a fierce rival, would you rather be the first to employ Saka in your ads or wait for your competitor to use him first so that you can reap maximum second-comer benefits as MTN is doing? We all seem to agree that the smart thing is to do as MTN has done. One more question: while you and your rival in business wait to see who will use Saka first and lose, what will Saka be surviving on? Disloyalty is a serious flaw for any public figure and Saka will have to live with that tag for the rest of his advertising career.

I have always seen adverts as entertainment and nothing more. They never influence my choice of purchase. However, any discerning consumer will understand that the move by MTN is an act of desperation which actually does, in a certain twist of irony, portray Etisalat in good light as a veritable threat to the MTN business. And so if I were to go by adverts in making a choice, I'd choose Etisalat because the crowd will go with MTN on sentiments. I mean, why didn't MTN consider Saka before the porting era?

I am more interested in the dynamics that accurately assign judgments of right and wrong to the actions of men (self included). Saka's action is similar to Abati's: both are cases of a betrayal of trust for personal gains. Saka advertising for MTN is like some Nollywood characters accepting money and advertising a presidential candidate that they cannot in conscience vouch for. That for me is just so low. I mean, there comes a time when moral conscience just has to say NO to money. And until we cross that bridge as Nigerians, there's no point blaming the politicians or anyone who ever stole from us.

1 Like

Re: Saka 'Ported' From Etisalat To MTN: The True Story Emerges by madejibo: 8:44am On Apr 25, 2013
cdz: This is interesting. I was just wondering: why is it okay for Saka to port and wrong for Reuben Abati to do the same if the reason for Saka's action is that MTN pays more than Etisalat? Both cases involve switch of loyalty for personal (as opposed to ethical) gain.

In an effort to justify Saka's action someone on this thread referred to how a Pepsi truck driver was portrayed as drinking Coke in a Coke advert. That's different - he's just a faceless truck driver and not a brand ambassador. Which Pepsi brand ambassador have you seen advertising for Coca Cola? Do you think that Coke couldn't afford to pay them more?

I'm not quite sure of the official ethical position of the advertising profession on Saka's action but I know that as a person of conscience, there comes a time when you have to say no to a bigger pay simply because the offer clashes with your ethics and negates what you hold to be right and good and true. Saka may make money from this move BUT I'm afraid it won't last for long because with this he has shot himself in the foot as a brand.

Think about it: if you own a business and you have a fierce rival, would you rather be the first to employ Saka in your ads or wait for your competitor to use him first so that you can reap maximum second-comer benefits as MTN is doing? We all seem to agree that the smart thing is to do as MTN has done. One more question: while you and your rival in business wait to see who will use Saka first and lose, what will Saka be surviving on? Disloyalty is a serious flaw for any public figure and Saka will have to live with that tag for the rest of his advertising career.

I have always seen adverts as entertainment and nothing more. They never influence my choice of purchase. However, any discerning consumer will understand that the move by MTN is an act of desperation which actually does, in a certain twist of irony, portrays Etisalat in good light as a veritable threat to the MTN business. And so if I were to go by adverts in making a choice, I'd choose Etisalat because the crowd will go with MTN on sentiments. I mean, why didn't MTN consider Saka before the porting era?

I am more interested in the dynamics that accurately assign judgments of right and wrong to the actions of men. Saka's actions is similar to Abati's: both are cases of a betrayal of trust for personal gains. Saka advertising for MTN is like some Nollywood characters accepting money and advertising a presidential candidate that they cannot in conscience vouch for. That for me is just so low. I mean, there comes a time when moral conscience just has to say NO to money. And until we cross that bridge as Nigerians, there's no point blaming the politicians or anyone who ever stole from us.
sir, what if Saka had no contract with Etisalat, should he have rejected Mtn's offer? We all change jobs, RVP moved from Arsenal to Man Utd heaven didn't fall, let's leave sentiments aside. I am so happy for the guy, very happy, this guy started from no where yet he is a big star today.

1 Like

Re: Saka 'Ported' From Etisalat To MTN: The True Story Emerges by cdz: 8:49am On Apr 25, 2013
madejibo: sir, what if Saka had no contract with Etisalat, should he have rejected Mtn's offer? We all change jobs, RVP moved from Arsenal to Man Utd heaven didn't fall, let's leave sentiments aside. I am so happy for the guy, very happy, this guy started from no where yet he is a big star today.

Madejibo, your analogy is interesting. But imagine applying the bolded to Abati - and his kind. It is good to be a big star but the means to that end count also.
Re: Saka 'Ported' From Etisalat To MTN: The True Story Emerges by madejibo: 8:53am On Apr 25, 2013
cdz:

Madejibo, your analogy is interesting. But imagine applying the bolded to Abati - and his kind.
I can't do an Abati kind of job if I was Abti himself, because before his current job he was a known face. Another reason is I can't come out openly and start lying all in the name of a job. In Saka's case no truth no lie was said about his porting. It is strictly business.
Re: Saka 'Ported' From Etisalat To MTN: The True Story Emerges by guysmat(m): 9:00am On Apr 25, 2013
If only "my oga @d top" had copyright-ed his famous sayings.. grin
Re: Saka 'Ported' From Etisalat To MTN: The True Story Emerges by Jarus(m): 9:04am On Apr 25, 2013
cdz: This is interesting. I was just wondering: why is it okay for Saka to port and wrong for Reuben Abati to do the same if the reason for Saka's action is that MTN pays more than Etisalat? Both cases involve switch of loyalty for personal (at the expense of ethical) gain.

I have always seen adverts as entertainment and nothing more. They never influence my choice of purchase. However, any discerning consumer will understand that the move by MTN is an act of desperation which actually does, in a certain twist of irony, portray Etisalat in good light as a veritable threat to the MTN business. And so if I were to go by adverts in making a choice, I'd choose Etisalat because the crowd will go with MTN on sentiments. I mean, why didn't MTN consider Saka before the porting era?

I am more interested in the dynamics that accurately assign judgments of right and wrong to the actions of men (self included). Saka's action is similar to Abati's: both are cases of a betrayal of trust for personal gains. Saka advertising for MTN is like some Nollywood characters accepting money and advertising a presidential candidate that they cannot in conscience vouch for. That for me is just so low. I mean, there comes a time when moral conscience just has to say NO to money. And until we cross that bridge as Nigerians, there's no point blaming the politicians or anyone who ever stole from us.

Saka is a businessman. He makes no pretence about that. He sells his talent.

Abati, pre-presidency job, postured about a being principled, churning out writings to defend the masses.
Re: Saka 'Ported' From Etisalat To MTN: The True Story Emerges by lynx200(m): 9:06am On Apr 25, 2013
Hey guys just got this from another website

THE MAKING OF SAKA: JUST FOR THE RECORDS

I did not want to talk about this but for the records, the character Saka was not created by any advertising agency for etisalat. Saka was created by Hafiz Oyetoro, Gbenga Windapo and myself for a Royal Roots TV series "House A-Part" as far back as 2004 and the series won best TV comedy in Nigeria as far back as 2005. Long before etisalat was in Nigeria. New seasons of the series currently run on Silverbird Television every saturday morning 10.30 - 11AM.

Also Hafiz Oyetoro as Saka with the series House A-Part only recently won the African Magic Viewers Choice Award (AMVCA) for Best Comedy in the Male category.

The advertising agency only adopted the character Saka for etisalat. They did not create the character. Just setting the record straight for prosperity...

On Hafiz, he is one of the most humble and down to earth personality in Nollywood today. Obviously one of the most talented too. So people, stop judging...

Enough said....

Greg Odutayo

1 Like

Re: Saka 'Ported' From Etisalat To MTN: The True Story Emerges by Nobody: 9:08am On Apr 25, 2013
me self go port to airtel" etisalat na thief
Re: Saka 'Ported' From Etisalat To MTN: The True Story Emerges by Dee60: 9:12am On Apr 25, 2013
Saka or no Saka, MTN has to imprive its services before people will port to it! I have enjoyed clarity on Etils and that is fine enough.
Re: Saka 'Ported' From Etisalat To MTN: The True Story Emerges by cdz: 9:30am On Apr 25, 2013
Jarus:

Saka is a businessman. He makes no pretence about that. He sells his talent.

Abati, pre-presidency job, postured about a being principled, churning out writings to defend the masses.

Jarus, I'm just curious: will I be correct to assume that you imply that the best line of action is not to aspire to any values and to make no pretense about it? In other words, if I am a thief (excuse the strong word) and I don't pretend about it does that make me an okay person and make thieving in my case a less serious crime?

I hold the belief that there is only one moral standard for all humans irrespective of profession or circumstance of birth.
Re: Saka 'Ported' From Etisalat To MTN: The True Story Emerges by AdeniyiA(m): 9:38am On Apr 25, 2013
i just like this 'sakastic' Saka
Re: Saka 'Ported' From Etisalat To MTN: The True Story Emerges by segunobe(m): 9:42am On Apr 25, 2013
[quote author=pDude]

How much did Etisalat pay you to do this smear campaign undecided

See as etisalat don sharpaly start smear campaign on top nairaland o. Dem nor even waste time cheesy [/quot

Etisalat pay me kwa I pray o.
Re: Saka 'Ported' From Etisalat To MTN: The True Story Emerges by Dee60: 9:44am On Apr 25, 2013
cdz: This is interesting. I was just wondering: why is it okay for Saka to port and wrong for Reuben Abati to do the same if the reason for Saka's action is that MTN pays more than Etisalat? Both cases involve switch of loyalty for personal (at the expense of ethical) gain.

I do agree with you. Saka seems to be telling us now that he never believed in Etisalat and his previous messages should not be seen beyond entertainment. The porting to MTN is also an entertainment. MTN playing this under-belly tactics has joined in the entertainment. If you follow the message and you go and port without checking the QUALITY of the service yourself, you will be porting at your own peril! You too would have joined in the drama.

This is not like changing jobs. This is like Arsene Wenger suddenly moving to Chelsea!

I personally do not see anything in that advert beyond the entertainment. Nigeria itself as a country has become a big theatre of absurd dramas...Dont blame Saka, dont blame Abati or Okupe, dont blame oga at the top. They are all entertaining us.

I only pray that someday we will get up to work and start building values again as a people, and that we will confine entertainment to theatres and cinemas.
Re: Saka 'Ported' From Etisalat To MTN: The True Story Emerges by segunobe(m): 9:48am On Apr 25, 2013
bankyblue:

Hmmmm! Re u working with other network company? Y do u want to
De brand them? to bad of u

What matters is if my post has any substance.
Re: Saka 'Ported' From Etisalat To MTN: The True Story Emerges by swiftycool(m): 10:04am On Apr 25, 2013
A lot of confusion going on here. But let's see if eyes can be a bit more opened with this post.

Centre spread adapted Saka an already known character for the etisalat promo despite the fact that his character seemed to negate the HIP image etisalat is now trying to portray, however this was an intentional move in order to appeal to another segment of society; "the lower middle class"

Because of Saka's outlook in his etisalat ads, many people viewed the network as a cheaper or better still more affordable network which earned them large patronage within the short time they came on scene and presently compete with the giant mtn!

Unlike MTN which used adverts that made it look more "upper class" network, etisalat entered both segments of society with the Hip and common man adverts . And lately when MTn realized they were badly losing out on a segment of society that includes the larger percentage of Nigerians, they are now desperate to make the so called "Big man's" network look like a common man network hence the struggle to get Someone to portray this image which they found in Saka.

On the other side etisalat having established the common man image which everyone now identifies with them is now focusing more on the hip side to appeal to the upper class which is rapidly succeeding.

On Saka's part, he ported not really because of money, but because he found a place where he was presently more valued to help make a statement. In my view etisalat was smarter, because it knows the true Nigerian man better! Pure marketing genius

1 Like

Re: Saka 'Ported' From Etisalat To MTN: The True Story Emerges by daryoor(m): 10:04am On Apr 25, 2013
etisalat created saka? Biggest lie of the century, saka predates etisalat. That dude has been acting since the early ninties, he even had his own sitcom with dele odule in 2005.

If he had reject mtn's offer on a loyalty stand that would have made him d biggest fool, if glo should call him tomoro he should go.
Re: Saka 'Ported' From Etisalat To MTN: The True Story Emerges by Jarus(m): 10:05am On Apr 25, 2013
cdz:

Jarus, I'm just curious: will I be correct to assume that you imply that the best line of action is not to aspire to any values and to make no pretense about it? In other words, if I am a thief (excuse the strong word) and I don't pretend about it does that make me an okay person and make thieving in my case a less serious crime?

I hold the belief that there is only one moral standard for all humans irrespective of profession or circumstance of birth.

So because I play for Man U, it is immoral to move to Arsenal with right price?
Re: Saka 'Ported' From Etisalat To MTN: The True Story Emerges by Fukup(m): 10:13am On Apr 25, 2013
Ayomax: its da other way round for me. I'm porting to etisalat frm mtn
same here bro.just waiting for the stuff to mature very well.latest, next week,am out of mtn
Re: Saka 'Ported' From Etisalat To MTN: The True Story Emerges by wonlasewonimi: 10:21am On Apr 25, 2013
I know him as Baba kafaya, the driver to baby lawyer in a soap opera on Ben TV.
Re: Saka 'Ported' From Etisalat To MTN: The True Story Emerges by neksummi(m): 10:22am On Apr 25, 2013
OK. We've heard you.
Re: Saka 'Ported' From Etisalat To MTN: The True Story Emerges by cdz: 10:23am On Apr 25, 2013
Jarus:

So because I play for Man U, it is immoral to move to Arsenal with right price?

No, Jarus, it is not immoral because Man U also gets to make some money from the move. Why? Because they contributed to your being attractive to Arsenal. What does Etisalat gain in this case?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Tecno Pouvoir 4 Specifications And Price / This Is What I Found Inside Original BB Charger / Once You Lose your Phone, You Lose All Your Money In Your Bank Account.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.