Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,077 members, 7,818,220 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:39 AM

Feminism. Ay Or nay? - Romance (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Feminism. Ay Or nay? (2508 Views)

Public Display Of Affection (pda),yay Or Nay? / Yay Or Nay? Bridesmaids Flashing Their Butts In Wedding Photos / 7 Ways Feminism Is Destroying American Women (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Feminism. Ay Or nay? by MrsChima(f): 11:46am On Apr 26, 2013
Raggedy_Ann:

I think you're right - I might be a feminist according to this here.

FEMINIST: a person whose behaviour and beliefs are based on feminsim/ a person who advocates equal rights for women. (American Heritage dictionary of the english language 4th ed)

I believe women should have equal rights as men to vote, get educated, apply for jobs, etc. These are all feminist beliefs so I guess that makes me one too. Busted!

Thank you for educating yourself about the yrue definition of feminism.

Not everyone believe in equality nor embrace it. Some are afraid and some are illiterate. The world will continues and ignorance remains unfortunately.

This is life.
Re: Feminism. Ay Or nay? by Nobody: 3:10pm On Apr 26, 2013
Looks like some of you don't the the difference between sexism and feminism
There is nothing wrong with being feminist...well if u actually know the definition of it undecided
Re: Feminism. Ay Or nay? by MrsChima(f): 3:14pm On Apr 26, 2013
mondi_cheeks: Looks like some of you don't the the difference between sexism and feminism
There s nothing wrong with being feminist...well if u actually know the definition of it undecided

For the illiterates...feminists are women who are lesbians and hates men. Feminism is simply an ideology that supports women having equal access and right to employment, wealth, education, health, housing, vote, and run in public offices. If that is bad and horrific...I feel sorry for the women and men who shares such idea.

Many are confusing myandry to feminism.

2 Likes

Re: Feminism. Ay Or nay? by Nobody: 3:16pm On Apr 26, 2013
Mrs.Chima:

For the illiterates...feminists are women who are lesbians and hates men. Feminism is simply an ideology that supports women having equal access and right to employment, wealth, education, health, housing, vote, and run in public offices. If that is bad and horrific...I feel sorry for the women and men who shares such idea.

thank you
Re: Feminism. Ay Or nay? by MrsChima(f): 3:24pm On Apr 26, 2013
mondi_cheeks: thank you

You are quite welcome. wink
Re: Feminism. Ay Or nay? by sKeetz(m): 3:38pm On Apr 26, 2013
Unfollowing angry
Re: Feminism. Ay Or nay? by Nobody: 3:50pm On Apr 26, 2013
gohome: My husband should get paternity leave as long as mine so that if I choose to return to work a week postpartum, he can stay home to care for our infant. Amen?
gender equality doesn't favoring women it means giving them equal opportunities to women.

>Firstly the reason why a man doesn't get paternity leave is because he doesn't go into labour and he won't require rest to recover from giving birth, for a woman however it is an inherent requirement because she has to recover (Caesarian section or if he tears during natural birth) nurture her child e.g. breast feeding...the reason why women get maternity leave is because it is simply an inherent requirement whereas there aren't any valid reasons that can be given for man to get 'paternity' that's why some countries have 'family responsibility leave' so that a man could be allowed to spend time (even though its very little) with his family. Remember equality before the law still has to have limitations... Maternity leave for a pregnant woman is an inherent requirement because she has the right to bodily and psychological integrity and to give effect to that right she has to be allowed to go on maternity to recover and nurture her child. Not allowing her the rest could cause complications with regards to her on her health (physically and mentally) and lack of rest may cause her to under-perform. paternity leave would not be an inherent requirement because the men don't have justifiable reasons for them to be granted one. It's common sense

You can't just hand out leaves like free sweets, there has to be a just and sound reason for it!

1 Like

Re: Feminism. Ay Or nay? by gohome: 12:55am On Apr 27, 2013
mondi_cheeks: gender equality doesn't favoring women it means giving them equal opportunities to women.

>Firstly the reason why a man doesn't get paternity leave is because he doesn't go into labour and he won't require rest to recover from giving birth, for a woman however it is an inherent requirement because she has to recover (Caesarian section or if he tears during natural birth) nurture her child e.g. breast feeding...the reason why women get maternity leave is because it is simply an inherent requirement whereas there aren't any valid reasons that can be given for man to get 'paternity' that's why some countries have 'family responsibility leave' so that a man could be allowed to spend time (even though its very little) with his family. Remember equality before the law still has to have limitations... Maternity leave for a pregnant woman is an inherent requirement because she has the right to bodily and psychological integrity and to give effect to that right she has to be allowed to go on maternity to recover and nurture her child. Not allowing her the rest could cause complications with regards to her on her health (physically and mentally) and lack of rest may cause her to under-perform. paternity leave would not be an inherent requirement because the men don't have justifiable reasons for them to be granted one. It's common sense

You can't just hand out leaves like free sweets, there has to be a just and sound reason for it!

In other words, is it really practicable for Men and Women to have equal opportunity? How do you measure the equality? What if the woman is a career woman, and wants to go to work immediately, why can't her husband have paternity leave while his wife works?
Re: Feminism. Ay Or nay? by gohome: 1:03am On Apr 27, 2013
Mrs.Chima:

So from your definition is it right to say the feminist fight is over?
Re: Feminism. Ay Or nay? by pleep(m): 1:23am On Apr 27, 2013
Re: Feminism. Ay Or nay? by MrsChima(f): 1:47am On Apr 27, 2013
gohome:

Is male chauvnism fight over?
Re: Feminism. Ay Or nay? by tpia5: 1:52am On Apr 27, 2013
gohome:

many would-be feminists are opting for what they once thought was oppression of women, i should think.

doesnt necessarily mean the fight is over, just that a new set and ideology may be in the offing, eg the right to expose breasts, etc.

1 Like

Re: Feminism. Ay Or nay? by MrsChima(f): 2:23am On Apr 27, 2013
tpia@:

many would-be feminists are opting for what they once thought was oppression of women, i should think.

doesnt necessarily mean the fight is over, just that a new set and ideology may be in the offing, eg the right to expose breasts, etc.

Hookers and hoes will never speak against men...it will slow down business.
Re: Feminism. Ay Or nay? by Nobody: 3:08am On Apr 27, 2013
gohome:

In other words, is it really practicable for Men and Women to have equal opportunity? How do you measure the equality? What if the woman is a career woman, and wants to go to work immediately, why can't her husband have paternity leave while his wife works?
its practicable to have equal opprtunities where there is a SOUND AND JUST REASON for it! Common sense will tell u that women who normally make decisons like that hire someone to nurture for their child but at the same time its putting her own mental and well being at stack! Its not an inherent requirement to give men "paternity leave" that's why it doesn't exist! He is not UNFAIRLY discriminated against by not being given a paternity leave...there aren't any effects on his right to bodily and psychological integrity as they would be on a woman who just gave birth.
Re: Feminism. Ay Or nay? by luvmijeje(f): 5:50am On Apr 27, 2013
Ay! I'm a feminist and I believe in women's right. A right to make a choice. A right to aspire to the highest position. A right to be judge fairly. Above all a right to all these and more without being called names by the society I live in presently.

2 Likes

Re: Feminism. Ay Or nay? by gohome: 8:37am On Apr 27, 2013
luvmijeje: Ay! I'm a feminist and I believe in women's right. A right to make a choice. A right to aspire to the highest position. A right to be judge fairly. Above all a right to all these and more without being called names by the society I live in presently.

People like you give feminism a bad name. Like you said feminism gives you a right to make a choice, this choices include but not limited to

1. Being a house wife
2. Owning a shop
3. Being a market woman
4. Becoming a finance Minister etc.

It's rather unfortunate that rogues... "corporate women " have hijacked feminism for their selfish interest.
Re: Feminism. Ay Or nay? by gohome: 8:41am On Apr 27, 2013
mondi_cheeks: its practicable to have equal opprtunities where there is a SOUND AND JUST REASON for it! Common sense will tell u that women who normally make decisons like that hire someone to nurture for their child but at the same time its putting her own mental and well being at stack! Its not an inherent requirement to give men "paternity leave" that's why it doesn't exist! He is not UNFAIRLY discriminated against by not being given a paternity leave...there aren't any effects on his right to bodily and psychological integrity as they would be on a woman who just gave birth.

Paternity leave exist.

1 Like

Re: Feminism. Ay Or nay? by gohome: 8:47am On Apr 27, 2013
luvmijeje: Ay! I'm a feminist and I believe in women's right. A right to make a choice. A right to aspire to the highest position. A right to be judge fairly. Above all a right to all these and more without being called names by the society I live in presently.

You have those rights already. Now whats next?
Re: Feminism. Ay Or nay? by Nobody: 9:54am On Apr 27, 2013
gohome:

Perfect answer. This is the crux of the post.
Feminists, now that you have what you've been fighting for, why are you still fighting?
Re: Feminism. Ay Or nay? by luvmijeje(f): 10:18am On Apr 27, 2013
gohome:

People like you give feminism a bad name. Like you said feminism gives you a right to make a choice, this choices include but not limited to

1. Being a house wife
2. Owning a shop
3. Being a market woman

It's rather unfortunate that rogues... "corporate women " have hijacked feminism for their selfish interest.
Hey! Don't be rude.
In Nigeria especially the northern part how many young girls have right to go to school? How many has right to choose who they want share their life with?
To zero it in, a right to get married or to be single. A right to tolerate cheating or not. A right to be a housewife or not. A right to leave an abusive marriage or not. A right to do all these without be called names or being crucified by the society.

1 Like

Re: Feminism. Ay Or nay? by MrsChima(f): 10:38am On Apr 27, 2013
gohome:

In Nigeria?
Re: Feminism. Ay Or nay? by Nobody: 10:41am On Apr 27, 2013
Mrs.Chima:

In Nigeria?
Yes, in Nigeria, except in a few places in the north like Luvmijeje stated.
Re: Feminism. Ay Or nay? by MrsChima(f): 10:41am On Apr 27, 2013
gohome:

1. Being a house wife
2. Owning a shop
3. Being a market woman

Those corporate women are making more than the average Nigerian male. I would feel threatened too if I was male.

1 Like

Re: Feminism. Ay Or nay? by MrsChima(f): 10:42am On Apr 27, 2013
fresh_dude: Yes, in Nigeria, except in a few places in the north like Luvmijeje stated.

Lmao!! Stop lying.
Re: Feminism. Ay Or nay? by MrsChima(f): 10:44am On Apr 27, 2013
gohome:

Paternity leave exist.

It works well in America.
Re: Feminism. Ay Or nay? by Nobody: 11:10am On Apr 27, 2013
Mrs.Chima:

Lmao!! Stop lying.
No ma'am Freshy ain't lying.
Re: Feminism. Ay Or nay? by MrsChima(f): 11:12am On Apr 27, 2013
fresh_dude: No ma'am Freshy ain't lying.

Women's rights are shaky in Nigeria. ...fact.

1 Like

Re: Feminism. Ay Or nay? by Nobody: 11:21am On Apr 27, 2013
Mrs.Chima:

Women's rights are shaky in Nigeria. ...fact.
Care to give examples?
Re: Feminism. Ay Or nay? by MrsChima(f): 11:23am On Apr 27, 2013
fresh_dude: Care to give examples?
Plenty examples were given by other chatters.
Re: Feminism. Ay Or nay? by Nobody: 11:28am On Apr 27, 2013
Mrs.Chima:

Plenty examples were given by other chatters.
Mbanu. Not on this thread, they didn't. The only one who came close to any sort of example is @Luvmijeje, and even her point is contextual and contestable.
Re: Feminism. Ay Or nay? by MrsChima(f): 11:30am On Apr 27, 2013
fresh_dude: Mbanu. Not on this thread, they didn't. The only one who came close to any sort of example is @Luvmijeje, and even her point is contextual and contestable.

Of course any facts would be contestable to those who can't accept the truth.

As a wife of a Nigerian and former resident of Nigeria. I know what I am talking about.
Re: Feminism. Ay Or nay? by Nobody: 11:36am On Apr 27, 2013
Mrs.Chima:

Of course any facts would be contestable to those who can't accept the truth.

As a wife of a Nigerian and former resident of Nigeria. I know what I am talking about.
Ok, then. I accept.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

My Girlfriend Thinks She Is My Responsiblity / Two Football Supporters Caught Having Sex In An Empty Stadium (18+) / What Can I Get Her?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.