Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,902 members, 7,817,672 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:56 PM

Nigerian Took Overdose To Avoid Deportation From The UK - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Took Overdose To Avoid Deportation From The UK (17747 Views)

Obama To ‘decide’ Fate Of Nigerian Battling Illness, Deportation / Fg Condemns Deportation Of 125 Nigerians From South Africa / Jamaican Slashes Own Throat To Avoid Deportation From Uk! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Took Overdose To Avoid Deportation From The UK by justwise(m): 6:22pm On Apr 24, 2013
An asylum seeker who is married to a British man is fighting for her life in hospital after an overdose just days before she was due to be sent back to Nigeria.

May Brown, a 19-year-old college student, fled to Britain from her home country three years ago after witnessing her father's murder and being subjected to sexual abuse.

She settled in Weymouth, Dorset, where she met her husband, Michael Brown, 12 months ago and the couple married last December.

Mrs Brown, who was a games maker at last summer's Olympics and has two university offers to study law, applied to stay in the UK but despite her marriage her application was rejected.
Mr Brown, 34, said UK Border Agency officials believe their marriage to be a 'sham' with no
'emotional attachment'.

His wife was told she would be flown back to Nigeria tomorrow.

She was so distressed at the prospect of returning to her home country she took an overdose of medication.
Her mother-in-law, Helen-Claire Brown, found her collapsed on the bathroom floor on Monday morning with a note to her husband saying she 'couldn't live without him'.

The teenager was rushed to the Dorset County Hospital in Dorchester where she remains in a coma in intensive care.

May wrote: 'I am deeply sorry that I had to go this way, without even saying goodbye.

'The UK immigration has finally driven me insane. They've pushed me too far this time and I can't take the pain any more.

'I don't want a life or a future you won't be part of. I love you so much, more than life itself and can't endure the agony of not being with you.

'Please forgive me for ending it this way. It's better to die with my dignity than be subjected to torture and undignified death back in Nigeria.'

Before she took the overdose, May had said she feared her abusers would kill her if she returned to the African country because she witnessed her father's death.

She said: 'If they send me back to Nigeria they are signing my death warrant, they will cut my life short because I will be killed.

'I have found peace with Michael, he gave me a reason to live. I have got a family here and we don't claim any benefits.

'Michael works and I am studying to become a barrister, we have not harmed anybody.'

Mr Brown, a former soldier who now works for a removals company, insisted the couple's marriage was genuine and slammed the UK Border Agency for its treatment of his wife.

He said: 'May is the most beautiful, kindest, loving person I have ever met. I can't live with myself if anything happens to her.

'She is the woman I want to spend the rest of my life with and you can't pretend something like that.

'All we want is a life together. But I'm so angry that is being taken away from us.'

Mother-in-law Helen-Claire, 59, added: 'May is a part of our family and the way the immigration service has treated her is so, so wrong and heartless.

'She came here on a student visa and has applied for asylum because she fears for her life if she goes back.

'What kind of world do we live in when a 19-year-old girl who has been through so much already feels she has no other choice but to kill herself?'

Miss Brown is studying public affairs at Weymouth College and hopes to go to university and become a barrister.

A Home Office spokesman said: 'We cannot comment in detail on this case while legal proceedings are ongoing.

'In cases where people are found to have no right to remain in the UK they should leave voluntarily or face removal.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2314023/Asylum-seeker-19-married-British-man-fights-life-overdose-days-deported.html#ixzz2RP0ZGDTr
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Re: Nigerian Took Overdose To Avoid Deportation From The UK by mikkyangel(m): 7:19pm On Apr 24, 2013
Please ohhh, let her be,hope she survives this?
Re: Nigerian Took Overdose To Avoid Deportation From The UK by Allohrandy(m): 7:58pm On Apr 24, 2013
I think she be deported to Nigerian immediately..UK governament should not waste their tax payers money on her..She is among those that give Nigerians bad name abroad.She was involved in a sham marriage for immigration purposes. She came to UK on student visa and should have gone back after her visa expired instead of involving in a fake marriage.. Anyway I wish her speed recovery

6 Likes

Re: Nigerian Took Overdose To Avoid Deportation From The UK by justwise(m): 8:01pm On Apr 24, 2013
Allohrandy: I think she be deported to Nigerian immediately..UK governament should not waste their tax payers money on her..She is among those that give Nigerians bad name abroad.She was involved in a sham marriage for immigration purposes. She came to UK on student visa and should have gone back after her visa expired instead of involving in a fake marriage.. Anyway I wish her speed recovery

How do you know that?

13 Likes

Re: Nigerian Took Overdose To Avoid Deportation From The UK by Allohrandy(m): 8:05pm On Apr 24, 2013
@ justwise
justwise: An asylum seeker who is married to a British man is fighting for her life in hospital after an overdose just days before she was due to be sent back to Nigeria.

May Brown, a 19-year-old college student, fled to Britain from her home country three years ago after witnessing her father's murder and being subjected to sexual abuse.

She settled in Weymouth, Dorset, where she met her husband, Michael Brown, 12 months ago and the couple married last December.

Mrs Brown, who was a games maker at last summer's Olympics and has two university offers to study law, applied to stay in the UK but despite her marriage her application was rejected.
Mr Brown, 34, said UK Border Agency officials believe their marriage to be a 'sham' with no
'emotional attachment'

His wife was told she would be flown back to Nigeria tomorrow.

She was so distressed at the prospect of returning to her home country she took an overdose of medication.
Her mother-in-law, Helen-Claire Brown, found her collapsed on the bathroom floor on Monday morning with a note to her husband saying she 'couldn't live without him'.

The teenager was rushed to the Dorset County Hospital in Dorchester where she remains in a coma in intensive care.

May wrote: 'I am deeply sorry that I had to go this way, without even saying goodbye.

'The UK immigration has finally driven me insane. They've pushed me too far this time and I can't take the pain any more.

'I don't want a life or a future you won't be part of. I love you so much, more than life itself and can't endure the agony of not being with you.

'Please forgive me for ending it this way. It's better to die with my dignity than be subjected to torture and undignified death back in Nigeria.'

Before she took the overdose, May had said she feared her abusers would kill her if she returned to the African country because she witnessed her father's death.

She said: 'If they send me back to Nigeria they are signing my death warrant, they will cut my life short because I will be killed.

'I have found peace with Michael, he gave me a reason to live. I have got a family here and we don't claim any benefits.

'Michael works and I am studying to become a barrister, we have not harmed anybody.'

Mr Brown, a former soldier who now works for a removals company, insisted the couple's marriage was genuine and slammed the UK Border Agency for its treatment of his wife.

He said: 'May is the most beautiful, kindest, loving person I have ever met. I can't live with myself if anything happens to her.

'She is the woman I want to spend the rest of my life with and you can't pretend something like that.

'All we want is a life together. But I'm so angry that is being taken away from us.'

Mother-in-law Helen-Claire, 59, added: 'May is a part of our family and the way the immigration service has treated her is so, so wrong and heartless.

'She came here on a student visa and has applied for asylum because she fears for her life if she goes back.

'What kind of world do we live in when a 19-year-old girl who has been through so much already feels she has no other choice but to kill herself?'

Miss Brown is studying public affairs at Weymouth College and hopes to go to university and become a barrister.

A Home Office spokesman said: 'We cannot comment in detail on this case while legal proceedings are ongoing.

'In cases where people are found to have no right to remain in the UK they should leave voluntarily or face removal.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2314023/Asylum-seeker-19-married-British-man-fights-life-overdose-days-deported.html#ixzz2RP0ZGDTr
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
Re: Nigerian Took Overdose To Avoid Deportation From The UK by justwise(m): 8:14pm On Apr 24, 2013
Allohrandy: @ justwise

That is just an allegation with no hard evidence, you can not rush into conclusion based on that.

5 Likes

Re: Nigerian Took Overdose To Avoid Deportation From The UK by Tstark(m): 8:44pm On Apr 24, 2013
That woman in the pic is at least 27 undecided

25 Likes

Re: Nigerian Took Overdose To Avoid Deportation From The UK by justwise(m): 8:49pm On Apr 24, 2013
Tstark: That woman in the pic is at least 27 undecided

She is not 19, this picture proves that even more

6 Likes

Re: Nigerian Took Overdose To Avoid Deportation From The UK by LaParisienne(f): 10:21pm On Apr 24, 2013
I feel sorry for her, risking her life like that. She'd rather die than go back to Nigeria, that says something.

UKBA should have mercy on her and let her stay with her 'husband'

Btw, if she's 19 then I'm 10.

11 Likes

Re: Nigerian Took Overdose To Avoid Deportation From The UK by Chinwem(f): 10:31pm On Apr 24, 2013
Wow, I feel for her sha
Doesn't look like a sham from where I m standing
I wish her well
Nigeria is so bad that people would rather die than return to it?

But shes now a married woman
Nobody should be able to abuse her like before
She and hubby should consider settling in another country outside UK and Nigeria
That way they re still together

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Took Overdose To Avoid Deportation From The UK by justwise(m): 11:20pm On Apr 24, 2013
The asylum story did not do her any favour after coming in as a student, i really hope she recovers and allow to stay with her husband.
Re: Nigerian Took Overdose To Avoid Deportation From The UK by Akpaife(m): 10:26am On Apr 25, 2013
And who is even begging them 2 hell wt uk,those monster dat thief our resource early 70 use it n develop their country they r still d piple dat put us in bad condition 2day

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Took Overdose To Avoid Deportation From The UK by justwise(m): 10:29am On Apr 25, 2013
Akpa ife: And who is even begging them 2 hell wt uk,those monster dat thief our resource early 70 use it n develop their country they r still d piple dat put us in bad condition 2day

Stop giving excuses for our corrupt govt.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Took Overdose To Avoid Deportation From The UK by fpeter(f): 10:29am On Apr 25, 2013
I pray she recovers speedily but Nwammem which one be say she be 19?
Is that her football age or what? she sure is 30+ or even older than her husband.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Took Overdose To Avoid Deportation From The UK by Pataki: 10:31am On Apr 25, 2013
A woman who manipulates her age, her visa stay in the UK, from student to asylum seeker.....to whatever else now.......she is well indeed capable to manipulate and invent a sham marriage.

Pure hogwash.

11 Likes

Re: Nigerian Took Overdose To Avoid Deportation From The UK by olapluto(m): 10:31am On Apr 25, 2013
Dear God, I pray to you that before I die, let me see a Nigeria that Nigerians world over will be proud of. A motherland where things work. A country respected by countries all over the world. A secure nation. A nation where we live to respect each other. A nation where politicians are made servants. A nation of over 95% employment. A pride of Africa. A pride of the black race. Oh Lord, please I pray that you eliminate those who will not allow NIgeria get to great heights destined. I pray that you plant love in the minds of all Nigerians irrespective of tribe. I pray for forgiveness of sins of generations before us. I pray that you punish those who cause bloodshed daily, and cleanse our land.

40 Likes

Re: Nigerian Took Overdose To Avoid Deportation From The UK by Nobody: 10:32am On Apr 25, 2013
deport the olosho jare...

Weyrey is using the 'attempted-suicide-in-a-public-space-where-I-can-be-easily-found-and-rushed-to-hospital' style.

Ontop wetin?

When no be say Iya Charlie dey share pounds give boys for here...

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Took Overdose To Avoid Deportation From The UK by yuzedo: 10:32am On Apr 25, 2013
Tstark: That woman in the pic is at least 27 undecided
grin grin grin grin grin grin

This babe na babanla scam! LOL! All these shenanigans were carefully planned, with medics on speed dial for when the OD takes effect. Why she no die na? LOL.. Check her browsing history, you will see she has researched on the meds she is taking, how lethal it is, what time frame she has to work with between OD and medical intervention, etc. Infact, Oceans' 11 doesn't have anything on this 19yr old mama mmadu and her caucasian collaborators! grin grin grin

5 Likes

Re: Nigerian Took Overdose To Avoid Deportation From The UK by SLIDEwaxie(m): 10:33am On Apr 25, 2013
Allohrandy: I think she be deported to Nigerian immediately..UK governament should not waste their tax payers money on her..She is among those that give Nigerians bad name abroad.She was involved in a sham marriage for immigration purposes. She came to UK on student visa and should have gone back after her visa expired instead of involving in a fake marriage.. Anyway I wish her speed recovery
i tried...

Biliv me, i did tried....

To.....

Stop u.......

From.......

Displaying.......

Your

foolishness!!!!

Now d whole world knws ur secret!!!!

5 Likes

Re: Nigerian Took Overdose To Avoid Deportation From The UK by fittty(m): 10:33am On Apr 25, 2013
Ok
Re: Nigerian Took Overdose To Avoid Deportation From The UK by Nobody: 10:34am On Apr 25, 2013
Critical times hard to deal with
Re: Nigerian Took Overdose To Avoid Deportation From The UK by Nobody: 10:35am On Apr 25, 2013
ola_pluto: Dear God, I pray to you that before I die, let me see a Nigeria that Nigerians world over will be proud of. A motherland where things work. A country respected by countries all over the world. A secure nation. A nation where we live to respect each other. A nation where politicians are made servants. A nation of over 95% employment. A pride of Africa. A pride of the black race. Oh Lord, please I pray that you eliminate those who will not allow NIgeria get to great heights destined. I pray that you plant love in the minds of all Nigerians irrespective of tribe. I pray for forgiveness of sins of generations before us. I pray that you punish those who cause bloodshed daily, and cleanse our land.

Dude if you like TB Joshua, Oyedepo and Adeboye to collabo on this prayer for you. Even feature Okija_juju and Pagan9ja for good measure....

You cannot stop me from going to get my own slice of the Nigerian pie.

You better pray for long life...cos its gonna be a looooong wait

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Took Overdose To Avoid Deportation From The UK by kufreabasi(m): 10:38am On Apr 25, 2013
They lady has been married and she eligible to stay except the marriage was faked. No where is safe in the world for life.
The lady is legally married, should she be deported, it will be against human right.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Took Overdose To Avoid Deportation From The UK by crackhaus: 10:39am On Apr 25, 2013
Immigration should just let her stay already, i mean is she really that much of a threat to their government or something! we all know there's plenty more of her type(including males) who do/did the same to stay away from their mother land.
and oh by the way, whether she be 19 or 27....her age is really none of our business as its quite normal for some Nigerians to falsify such.
Re: Nigerian Took Overdose To Avoid Deportation From The UK by justwise(m): 10:42am On Apr 25, 2013
kufreabasi: They lady has been married and she eligible to stay except the marriage was faked. No where is safe in the world for life.
The lady is legally married, should she be deported, it will be against human right.

Her status in the UK before she got married is the problem here, the asylum claim and the fear of being killed in Nigeria if deported goes to show that she her immigration record was not right before the marriage.
Re: Nigerian Took Overdose To Avoid Deportation From The UK by IAMBREEZY: 10:42am On Apr 25, 2013
Mba i don't think this lady is 19,is that her football age?
But why would she risk her life just because they want to depot her,chai this is what i'm still wondering
Re: Nigerian Took Overdose To Avoid Deportation From The UK by crackhaus: 10:44am On Apr 25, 2013
ola_pluto: Dear God, I pray to you that before I die, let me see a Nigeria that Nigerians world over will be proud of. A motherland where things work. A country respected by countries all over the world. A secure nation. A nation where we live to respect each other. A nation where politicians are made servants. A nation of over 95% employment. A pride of Africa. A pride of the black race. Oh Lord, please I pray that you eliminate those who will not allow NIgeria get to great heights destined. I pray that you plant love in the minds of all Nigerians irrespective of tribe. I pray for forgiveness of sins of generations before us. I pray that you punish those who cause bloodshed daily, and cleanse our land.
Good prayer point sir, but don't you think you should just go on your knees and pray instead of typing... I don't think God is a nairaland user

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Took Overdose To Avoid Deportation From The UK by StFrank2(m): 10:45am On Apr 25, 2013
Kia! Oyinbo don chew her kpomo wella now he is going crazy. Naija babes I hail una o

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Took Overdose To Avoid Deportation From The UK by Flygerian1(m): 10:45am On Apr 25, 2013
Wicked world we live in.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

China Opens The World Longest Bridge / What Documents Might One Need Outside Nigeria? / No Boeing 737 Max 8 Flying In Nigerian Airspace, Says NCAA

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.