Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,594 members, 7,816,469 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:36 AM

Help!!! My Car Just Won't Start - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Help!!! My Car Just Won't Start (1910 Views)

Guys Am Stranded, My Car Just Exploded Help Pls / My Car Won't Start When The Engine Is Cold, Why? / Can One Ever Jumpstart An Automatic Car Just Like A Manual Car? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help!!! My Car Just Won't Start by DontJustDoIt: 8:36pm On Apr 24, 2013
Please I need advice on my car. It’s a 97 Honda CRV that stalled while I was driving about 3 weeks ago.
Prior to that, the car had been having hot-start problems. I scanned for errors (I’ve got a pc scanner) and got a few codes that I planned to sort out at my convenience (since I usually just drove to the office in the morning and by evening, the car was cool enough to start). The codes were:
P0122- Throttle position sensor,
P1337- Crankshaft speed fluctuation sensor,
P0141- Oxygen sensor,
P0700- Transmission control system,
P0715- Input/turbine speed sensor.

The day it stalled, (it had never stalled while driving) I tried waiting for it to cool down before starting again, kicked severally, but it never started and I had to park it there. I did a scan and got the ff codes:
P0118- Engine coolant temperature circuit high input
P0122- Throttle position sensor,
P1359- Crankshaft Position/TDC sensor/Cylinder Position Connector disconnection
P0141- Oxygen sensor,
P0700- Transmission control system,
P0715- Input/turbine speed sensor.

I got a mechanic the following day who checked it and found the timing belt had cut. He changed the timing belt and at first it didn’t start, but after fiddling with the ignition distributor, eventually it started. Only this time, the hot start issue seemed to have become worse. The mechanic drove it down to his workshop to fix other minor pending issues. I was told the hot start was caused by the distributor coil, which I changed. Before it was changed, i tired to drive it, but the gear was giving issues and flashing the D4 light. The mainshaft sensor was serviced and the gear oil changed.
The problem now is the car has simply refused to start since then. Everything has been checked from fuel pump to injectors, to the ignition coil, igniter, spark cables, Main relay, to the timing settings. Everything seems to be working fine but the car would just not start.
Now the mechanics are saying it’s a bent valve issue caused by the timing belt that cut. I don’t believe this coz the car had started after that and it was running fine except for the hot-start issue and the gear.
Now, I’ve tried to scan the car, but it doesn’t give any codes whatsoever. The MIL is now off, so I’m suspecting it’s probly the ECM.
Please what’s your take and how would you advise that I proceed the smartest possible way?
Re: Help!!! My Car Just Won't Start by nissparts(m): 11:21pm On Apr 24, 2013
Turn on the ignition switch, if the check engine light does not come on with the other instrument cluster lights, the ecm has been damaged
Re: Help!!! My Car Just Won't Start by DontJustDoIt: 8:20am On Apr 25, 2013
nissparts: Turn on the ignition switch, if the check engine light does not come on with the other instrument cluster lights, the ecm has been damaged

The other lights come one but the check engine light doesn't. But the injector still supplies fuel when trying to start and other necessary conditions such as spark into the plugs and co still work. Does that count?
Re: Help!!! My Car Just Won't Start by luvinhubby(m): 8:30am On Apr 25, 2013
ECU(brainbox) is the primary suspect.
Re: Help!!! My Car Just Won't Start by sultaan(m): 12:22am On Apr 27, 2013
Now they got you.

It would have been a lot easier when before you took it to the mechanic.

There is no solution online to what they have done to your car because the expert will have to see it in person
Re: Help!!! My Car Just Won't Start by Nobody: 9:55am On Apr 28, 2013
See Gobe
Re: Help!!! My Car Just Won't Start by konami001: 4:43pm On Apr 30, 2013
sultaan: Now they got you.

It would have been a lot easier when before you took it to the mechanic.

There is no solution online to what they have done to your car because the expert will have to see it in person

The truth is just too bitter...
Re: Help!!! My Car Just Won't Start by DontJustDoIt: 10:12am On May 01, 2013
luvinhubby: ECU(brainbox) is the primary suspect.

I've scanned the car again. When the key's turned to ignition, the check engine light comes on for 2 seconds like it's supposed to and then goes off, with the clicks from the main relay sounding.
My confusion now is, ALL the codes have suddenly disappeared! But the car just won't start!!! Someone please help with possibility advice.
Re: Help!!! My Car Just Won't Start by autowiz: 2:40pm On May 01, 2013
where u located? call this no for diagnosis and repair assistance
Re: Help!!! My Car Just Won't Start by DontJustDoIt: 3:54pm On May 01, 2013
autowiz: where u located? call this no for diagnosis and repair assistance

where's d no.?

(1) (Reply)

Speedometer Stops And Automatic Gear Stops Working / About To Purchase A Nigerian Used Odyssey, Advices Needed / What Car Did You Drive In The University?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.