Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,100 members, 7,825,481 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 03:43 PM

How Well Do You Know Your Children? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Well Do You Know Your Children? (10636 Views)

20 Hilarious Ways To Know Your Mum Is A Nigerian. / How Well Do You Think You Know Your Partner? A MUST Read For Everyone. / How Did You Know Your Partner Was 'The One' ?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Well Do You Know Your Children? by greatgod2012(f): 7:42am On Apr 28, 2013
I opened this thread because of what happened in my children's school on friday, the mother got to school to pick her son, (the boy is in pre-nursery class) only to be told that the boy said he had gone to wait for her in her friend's place, but alas, the mother did not know any of her son's friend, talk less of the place they live. I know she would get the place later, but dont you think shes supposed to have known his son's friend before then.

How well do you know your children?
Some parents claim they know their children, but do not know their children's friends and their children's friends parents.
Some parents claim they know their children but do not know their children' teacher or have their teacher's phone numbers.
Some parents claim they know their children but do not know where their children buy the foods they eat(for those who allow their children to buy food in the canteen).

And for those who have older kids that are in secondary schools or even higher institutions, how well do you know your children?
Do you know their friends?
Do you know their teachers/lecturers?
Do you know and have you been to their hostels/houses?
Do you know their friends parents and their friend's places/houses.
Do you know when they attend parties, or are you even aware of parties they attend?
Do you unexpectedly pay visit to them in schools? This is very important, it helps you to know who they really are, without any window dressing from them.
Do you know the type of dresses they wear?
Do you know how their rooms look like?
What do you know about their love life, if they are already in higher institutions?
Do you sometimes scroll down their contact in their phone and messages in their inbox?
Do you sometimes go to their facebook wall to know their likes and dislikes and their posts?

Parenthood aint an easy task but wth God's grace and prompt observation, we shall get there.
May God help us all.

9 Likes

Re: How Well Do You Know Your Children? by Les: 7:48am On Apr 28, 2013
You are right sweedy..... I wish my dad had known me better, I for no bad like dis wink !!!

1 Like

Re: How Well Do You Know Your Children? by Nobody: 8:19am On Apr 28, 2013
What sort of school will release a pre nursery child to a stranger,only to tell a parent this crap?

How easy can it be really to know the friend of your toddler who can barely talk?

There is no perfect parents,we can only try and pray that God bless our efforts.

26 Likes

Re: How Well Do You Know Your Children? by Nobody: 8:21am On Apr 28, 2013
Knowing a child is easier with older kids,you can Actually read them when they are older.
Re: How Well Do You Know Your Children? by Les: 8:40am On Apr 28, 2013
byvan: Knowing a child is easier with older kids,you can Actually read them when they are older.
i disconcur... Bonds start from birth, the higher d bond, d greater d readability... Dad dont know any of my friend but i know many of his and business associates... Tho i try bonding with him, he no bond with me except wen i was LITTle and dat's why ol he knows about me was wen i was LITTLE....

3 Likes

Re: How Well Do You Know Your Children? by Nobody: 9:02am On Apr 28, 2013
I know about bonding,am talking about knowing stuffs like their friends.Definitely bonding starts from the womb as the parents start speaking to a child from then.How will you know your 1yr old toddler's friend,if he always fumble with toys each time you come to pick him?

1 Like

Re: How Well Do You Know Your Children? by Les: 9:11am On Apr 28, 2013
Now I get... You know cos that is wen it's happening, wen they are starting life...but it's not necessary if you no bond with him/her. Eg if u didn't bond with ur kid wen at little age, wat would u know about d friends they keep, ol u know, this is d friend, they this and dat together and blah blah but u'll never know d kinda friendship they keep or wat brings or brought them together. But if u bond with ur child and is so much aware of their personality, u'll know d kind of friends he would wanna keep and you'll definitely know wat kinda friendship he keep.
So u're right based on one sidesmiley.... When they grow older, u'll know about them but u'll know better if u bonded very well with ur baby...
And wat is there to know self about a toddler playing with it's toy If u are talking about infants and toddler, u leave older kids alone and vice versa.... Dat's ol
Re: How Well Do You Know Your Children? by GraceBestowed(f): 9:22am On Apr 28, 2013
Knowing anyone comes from communicating with them, this includes your kids. Whatever foundation is built will determine the structure of your relationship with your child.

I've been blessed with parents I can talk to; I tell my mom everything without the fear of being 'judged'.
Re: How Well Do You Know Your Children? by tpia5: 9:51am On Apr 28, 2013
Crappy threads are becoming too many on nl these days.

3 Likes

Re: How Well Do You Know Your Children? by Nobody: 9:58am On Apr 28, 2013
Much as I agree that parents should know their kids, friends etc but no school especially in the present security challenges should release a child to anyone else apart from parent or designated ward.
Schools should haave I.D cards which only a parent or person sent by parent should have before a child is released. If you let my child follow anyone else without my permission una go reach court oh.

1 Like

Re: How Well Do You Know Your Children? by engrtee(f): 10:32am On Apr 28, 2013
Kids change, you cant know them hundred percent.
Re: How Well Do You Know Your Children? by Nobody: 10:43am On Apr 28, 2013
byvan: What sort of school will release a pre nursery child to a stranger,only to tell a parent this crap?

How easy can it be really to know the friend of your toddler who can barely talk?

You have said it o. The school is responsible for this MAJOR goof up!

, your questions apply more to teens and maybe pre-teens. With respect to this age group, yes you should be involved in their lives as lovingly but as firmly as possible. Their Facebook and phones should be supervised and controlled. If there are friends that they spend a lot of time with, then you certainly should know where they live and it's a good idea to know their parents.

Ultimately, guidance starts from an early age where you instill good values in them. Teach them kindness, how to choose good friends, how to make healthy food choices and how to be self reliant/self confident and responsible, how to be trustworthy. Then you don't have to monitor every little move they make when they are supposed to have some degree of freedom.
Re: How Well Do You Know Your Children? by roled: 11:19am On Apr 28, 2013
What kind of cheap,insecured, atakara sch does ur kids attend.No sch I'd?So anyone can just walk up to pick any child?
Besides the kind of thread you open sef.I can see you work in a govt parastatal that's why you ve time for such

1 Like

Re: How Well Do You Know Your Children? by greatgod2012(f): 3:22pm On Apr 28, 2013
byvan: What sort of school will release a pre nursery child to a stranger,only to tell a parent this crap?

There is no perfect parents,we can only try and pray that God bless our efforts.

sincerely, @byvan, it is unlikely of that school to do such, only God knew what really happened that day, you know, i didnt wait to really get the gist of what happened, all i know is that, in that school, they dont release the kids to strangers, maybe, the friend's mother begged that the kid be released to her and he will get the kid to her parent, or somehow sha, but, hopefully, tomorrow, i'll get the full gist

And as for knowing your toddler's friends, well, as for me, my kids starts schooling at the age of 2+, and by then, they must have started talking, so, when they start going, the first thing i ask from them is who their friend is, and the second day or thereafter, i try to know the kids' parents, but for those who are yet to start talking, its somehow difficult, its only possible when the child start talking.
May God help us all.
Re: How Well Do You Know Your Children? by greatgod2012(f): 3:27pm On Apr 28, 2013
tpia@:
Crappy threads are becoming too many on nl these days.

whatever.........
Re: How Well Do You Know Your Children? by greatgod2012(f): 3:33pm On Apr 28, 2013
rol/ed:
What kind of cheap,insecured, atakara sch does ur kids attend.No sch I'd?So anyone can just walk up to pick any child?
Besides the kind of thread you open sef.I can see you work in a govt parastatal that's why you ve time for such

excuse me, what is your problem with my handle
What has the type of job i do got to do with you or my threads, are you high on something or what
Do i know you or have we met before
Are you sure you are mentally alright
Pls, i beg you in the name of God, ignore this handle next time you see it, if it gives you headache or it arouses your madness.

3 Likes

Re: How Well Do You Know Your Children? by greatgod2012(f): 3:34pm On Apr 28, 2013
ileobatojo:

You have said it o. The school is responsible for this MAJOR goof up!

, your questions apply more to teens and maybe pre-teens. With respect to this age group, yes you should be involved in their lives as lovingly but as firmly as possible. Their Facebook and phones should be supervised and controlled. If there are friends that they spend a lot of time with, then you certainly should know where they live and it's a good idea to know their parents.

Ultimately, guidance starts from an early age where you instill good values in them. Teach them kindness, how to choose good friends, how to make healthy food choices and how to be self reliant/self confident and responsible, how to be trustworthy. Then you don't have to monitor every little move they make when they are supposed to have some degree of freedom.

thank you and God bless you.
Re: How Well Do You Know Your Children? by greatgod2012(f): 3:37pm On Apr 28, 2013
engrtee: Kids change, you cant know them hundred percent.

thanks and may God help us all.
Re: How Well Do You Know Your Children? by Nobody: 3:38pm On Apr 28, 2013
greatgod2012:

And as for knowing your toddler's friends, well, as for me, my kids starts schooling at the age of 2+, and by then, they must have started talking, so, when they start going, the first thing i ask from them is who their friend is, and the second day or thereafter, i try to know the kids' parents

, that's a bit much o in the context of this discussion. I mean it's really not necessary at that age. They are only meeting in school now and it's not like the child can get to the other child's home by themselves (unless the school/teacher is as careless as this one angry).

Are you meeting the parents so that you can plan play dates together? Then that's not a problem but to be monitoring the family of your 2 yr old's school friends is a bit out there. Ahn ahn! Mama bear ! grin What happens if you don't like the parents?
Re: How Well Do You Know Your Children? by Nobody: 3:39pm On Apr 28, 2013
greatgod2012:

excuse me, what is your problem with my handle
What has the type of job i do got to do with you or my threads, are you high on something or what
Do i know you or have we met before
Are you sure you are mentally alright
Pls, i beg you in the name of God, ignore this handle next time you see it, if it gives you headache or it arouses your madness.

grin grin I have to say, I love it when catches fire!! grin grin
Re: How Well Do You Know Your Children? by greatgod2012(f): 3:53pm On Apr 28, 2013
debrief08: Much as I agree that parents should know their kids, friends etc but no school especially in the present security challenges should release a child to anyone else apart from parent or designated ward.
Schools should haave I.D cards which only a parent or person sent by parent should have before a child is released. If you let my child follow anyone else without my permission una go reach court oh.

yes, that is how its supposed to be, and they are really trying in that school, even though, the parents are yet to be issued an identity card, but i've never heard such case with them, all the pupils are usually in their classes with their teachers with them even after closing time, until the parents/guardians come to pick their children/wards, but on this fateful day, i didnt really get the gist before i left, but, you know, the friend's parent is also a parent, somthing must have transpired between the teacher and the friend's parent, well, hopefully, tomorrow, i will get the full gist.
Re: How Well Do You Know Your Children? by Nobody: 3:57pm On Apr 28, 2013
Someone finally gets on 's nerves,lol.
Re: How Well Do You Know Your Children? by greatgod2012(f): 4:00pm On Apr 28, 2013
ileobatojo:

dont mind that eeediot jare, even, if im a full house wife, i dont know how that got to affect him, even if i open a thread on how i ate this morning, how is that his problem, well, it seems hes has just taken what he has been warned not to take(o ti je eewo) and its getting on his brain.

3 Likes

Re: How Well Do You Know Your Children? by Nobody: 4:21pm On Apr 28, 2013
greatgod2012:

dont mind that eeediot jare, even, if im a full house wife, i dont know how that got to affect him, even if i open a thread on how i ate this morning, how is that his problem, well, it seems hes has just taken what he has been warned not to take(o ti je eewo) and its getting on his brain.

May God help him!

grin

2 Likes

Re: How Well Do You Know Your Children? by Nobody: 4:33pm On Apr 28, 2013
ileobatojo:

My first time of reading her angry post..
Re: How Well Do You Know Your Children? by greatgod2012(f): 4:45pm On Apr 28, 2013
byvan:

dont mind me jare, my sister, you know, im human, and sometimes, one just have to react that way, im aint perfect, you have just seen my imperfect part, but sincerely, i have the right to, imagine that imbeccile typing that rubbish, when has posting threads on NL equal to joblessness, so, i just have to put him in his place....lol grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: How Well Do You Know Your Children? by dominique(f): 5:19pm On Apr 28, 2013
byvan:

Never thought I'd see the day grin
Re: How Well Do You Know Your Children? by mawuqueyan(f): 6:36pm On Apr 28, 2013
Heeeee...madam ,1st time ℓ̊ dey see you paraa..... Ema binu ooo.
Dt skol sef nawah...releasing a pre nur student †̥☺ a stranger ℓ̊ wl kill d class teesha cheesy
Dts carelessness on †ђξ teachers part...what if sumtin bad appens? (God forbid)...ahh nawah for sum skols ooo...
God help us.

1 Like

Re: How Well Do You Know Your Children? by greatgod2012(f): 6:38pm On Apr 28, 2013
dominique:

haba! Im human now, im aint an angel.

Okay, my sincere apology to all those i have disappointed, pls, forgive me, im on my knees, but pls, always remember that im a human being, and thats my signature, remember, human beings will always be human beings.
May God help us all.
Re: How Well Do You Know Your Children? by Nobody: 7:21pm On Apr 28, 2013
greatgod2012:

dont mind me jare, my sister, you know, im human, and sometimes, one just have to react that way, im aint perfect, you have just seen my imperfect part, but sincerely, i have the right to, imagine that imbeccile typing that rubbish, when has posting threads on NL equal to joblessness, so, i just have to put him in his place....lol grin grin grin grin grin grin

I won't lie,I loved it!!He probably expected you to ask God to help him as usual lol.You gave him a stunner instead.Am sure he had to cross check your handle to make sure the response is from you.
Re: How Well Do You Know Your Children? by Nobody: 7:24pm On Apr 28, 2013
MehN!!!!no apologies required,God must not help a f**lish person all the time.Am glad you fought back.
Re: How Well Do You Know Your Children? by Nobody: 7:26pm On Apr 28, 2013
dominique:

I can't stop laughing!!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Is My Salary Enough To Get Married? (N45,000) / false reasons why some people believe feminists hate men / Is It A Woman's Responsibility/duty To Wash Her Husband's Clothes?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.