Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,919 members, 7,814,094 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 06:38 AM

What Course Would You Not Advise Anyone To Study? - Jobs/Vacancies (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / What Course Would You Not Advise Anyone To Study? (54451 Views)

Job Seekers: What Course Did U Study? / What Course Did You Study / Job Seekers: What Course Did You Study (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Course Would You Not Advise Anyone To Study? by tsticks(m): 5:31pm On May 01, 2013
A course I believe is selling and will continue to sell is Transport Planning Απϑ Management Or Transport Απϑ Logistics. No Course Is bad on its own, Its aℓℓ about Nigerian Factor. God help Us aℓℓ.

1 Like

Re: What Course Would You Not Advise Anyone To Study? by Nobody: 5:32pm On May 01, 2013
50calibre:

Hahaha! How do you know I've been unlucky in life do you have telepathic powers? Or is this the kind of wild guesses you make while working as an IT consultant?

I know people can work in a different field from what they studied but it is rare. I'm tired of hearing the same old " a guy with a Yoruba degree working in an oil company " crap. It is rare, it is more likely not to happen than happen.

If it were that easy, most of my school mates who studies courses like zoology, botany etc would all be employed.

If you are to advise your kid, advise him/her to do courses that increases ones employability not hanging on to some wild fat fetched dream.

My statement was based on this statement:
50calibre:

Ask the women what exactly they did before getting the job, you just might be missing a piece of the puzzle.

I've just given you 3 examples of people working high powered jobs despite their degrees...

I'm an example myself....though I studied computer science at degree level, I found myself working @ higher level than I normally should( I'm only 25)

There are so many people out there with similar stories...Art history Majors working as IT project mangers, School cert holders heading Transformation projects, so it's not as rare as you say it is.

A degree means nothing....in the larger scheme of life.

All it takes is determination to succeed and a bit of luck, and you'll be shocked where u find yourself

1 Like

Re: What Course Would You Not Advise Anyone To Study? by HiDee2(m): 5:32pm On May 01, 2013
austinemar: doin justis to dis topic i must coment. Anthropology(study of insect)for sure will not sell in dis country, fact! Pls i need more examples coz we wil be helpin someone out there

A point to note: Entomology is the study of insects, not Anthropology which is the study of human origin (history) and future...

Please, don't mix them up.
Re: What Course Would You Not Advise Anyone To Study? by rezzy: 5:34pm On May 01, 2013
Dont try to read Library Science Education in Delsu
Re: What Course Would You Not Advise Anyone To Study? by ajasa4link: 5:34pm On May 01, 2013
Sholexmusics: Who's callin who Pls dnt deceive urself. I'm a studied music, nd Its workin 4 me.
blood of †̥ђe̶̲̥̅ lamb!...

2 Likes

Re: What Course Would You Not Advise Anyone To Study? by Nobody: 5:35pm On May 01, 2013
Funny people...no course is not important...what u read in d university does not determine or have a connection to one's success in life!
Re: What Course Would You Not Advise Anyone To Study? by 50calibre(m): 5:36pm On May 01, 2013
adaobi123:

pharmacy

Nice course! I thought you would go study some crazy thing and expect to be as lucky as your relatives.
Re: What Course Would You Not Advise Anyone To Study? by DBestDoc(f): 5:36pm On May 01, 2013
embarassed [
DJDOLA: Medcine

Why if i may ask?

and that's not how MEDICINE is spelt
Re: What Course Would You Not Advise Anyone To Study? by Nobody: 5:36pm On May 01, 2013
50calibre:

Nice course! I thought you would go study some crazy thing and expect to be as lucky as your relatives.

Am I mad ? grin
Re: What Course Would You Not Advise Anyone To Study? by Nobody: 5:37pm On May 01, 2013
what do you guys think of marine engineering
Re: What Course Would You Not Advise Anyone To Study? by HiDee2(m): 5:38pm On May 01, 2013
ItsModella: Philosophy
History
Fishery
Zoology (how someone could go ahead to get a PhD in this field is beyond me)
Forestry

angry angry angry angry angry

It's certainly beyond you because you are either primodial or uninformed.

That you don't know the value of a course of study or discipline shouldn't mean you must denigrate people who commit to them.

Go get a thorough education dude/gal, it pays.

2 Likes

Re: What Course Would You Not Advise Anyone To Study? by topmostg: 5:40pm On May 01, 2013
Criminology
Re: What Course Would You Not Advise Anyone To Study? by Nobody: 5:41pm On May 01, 2013
Let's, especially engineering graduates, stop all these perceived rubbishing of History, Zoology, Classics, Achaeology, Philosophy, etc. Engineering companies see some engineering graduates as being half-baked, and as such engage them and even those from the humanities in training. For me, this is a leveler.
Re: What Course Would You Not Advise Anyone To Study? by EFEJU(f): 5:43pm On May 01, 2013
Soil science is a very good course it marketable in any part of d world
Re: What Course Would You Not Advise Anyone To Study? by mojounited(m): 5:44pm On May 01, 2013
[s]Mechanical Engineering - Trust me, as a Graduate Mechanical Engineer, you'll be a potential candidate for engineering job roles such as Marine, Subsea, Materials, Aerospace, Process, Chemical/Petrochemical, Eng. Design, Mechatronics, Oil & Gas, Piping/Structural, et al. It fits into nearly all spheres of engineering.

Sometimes, I do wish I studied Mech. Eng.[/s]

Oops! The thread says NOT...#my bad. Dunno whacky courses though undecided
Re: What Course Would You Not Advise Anyone To Study? by ajasa4link: 5:44pm On May 01, 2013
Phonon: If you have solid analytical abilities and you have love for science,study PHYSICS.If you are looking for a job after graduation,you would not be lacking.

1.FINANCE
Physics graduates are highly sought for their analytical abilities and they are employed as "quants" in Investment Banks.A field known as "econophysics" which uses the principles of theoretical physics such as fractals, in financial modelling,analysis etc

2.OIL AND GAS INDUSTRY
Physics graduates are employed as instrumentation engineers,geophysicists,petrophysicists and field engineers.An Msc in Exploration Geophysics would boost your chances.

3.TELECOMMUNICATIONS
Physics graduates are employed as Microwave Engineers,Solution Architects etc Many principles of physics ranging from waves,electronics,optoelectronics,ionospheric physics are critical in this industry.Companies in Nigeria in this sector include Ericsson,Aviat Networks,Alcatel-Lucent,Nokia-Siemens,Huawei.The operators have outsourced most of their technical roles.

4.HEALTHCARE
Graduates of physics are employed as radiologists and medical physicists.The MRI machine, the X-ray machine etc were invented by physicists.A masters in Medical Physics would do the trick.A career as a Biomedical Engineer is also in the offing where you could be involved in the design of artificial organs,prosthetics and other devices.(JUST GO ABROAD AND NEVER COME BACK FOR THIS OPTION.YOU WILL STARVE IF YOU TRY IT HERE)

to be continued...
@ †̥ђe̶̲̥̅ bold part, I think Ȋ̝̊̅†̥'s those who studied acturial science(actuarist) who perform that function i̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̥̅̊ nigeria..
Re: What Course Would You Not Advise Anyone To Study? by usfreshen: 5:46pm On May 01, 2013
austinemar: doin justis to dis topic i must coment. Anthropology(study of insect)for sure will not sell in dis country, fact! Pls i need more examples coz we wil be helpin someone out there
U can imagine the public disgrace u just gave your self by coming out in public to say that anthropology is the study of insects, what a shame, na wa for u. If I were to be you now I will just go and hang my self. And I no that its people like you that was commenting uslesly when that ncsdc commander made that mistake by saying "my oga at the top"
Re: What Course Would You Not Advise Anyone To Study? by rash47(m): 5:47pm On May 01, 2013
HISTORY is the mother of all discipline,anybody that mention it up there is a dumbass.

2 Likes

Re: What Course Would You Not Advise Anyone To Study? by wengerjay(m): 5:47pm On May 01, 2013
There is no future in any profession/course,the future depends on an individual who holds the profession.

1 Like

Re: What Course Would You Not Advise Anyone To Study? by 50calibre(m): 5:47pm On May 01, 2013
jackbauerspower:

My statement was based on this statement:

I've just given you 3 examples of people working high powered jobs despite their degrees...

I'm an example myself....though I studied computer science at degree level, I found myself working @ higher level than I normally should( I'm only 25)

There are so many people out there with similar stories...Art history Majors working as IT project mangers, School cert holders heading Transformation projects, so it's not as rare as you say it is.

A degree means nothing....in the larger scheme of life.

All it takes is determination to succeed and a bit of luck, and you'll be shocked where u find yourself

What are you saying bro! You studied computer science and you are saying it like its some mediocre course. i studied computer science as well, I graduated last year.

Computer science is vast, with opportunities everywhere. We live in a computer age so computer scientists would find it increasingly easy. During my final year IBM came to my university looking to employ as many as possible, I passed on the opportunity because Im going on to do my masters this summer.

I understand its not all about degrees, our president GEJ is a quintessential case, he studied something as crazy as zoology but yet he is a president.

All I'm saying is, I'd prefer not to take that chance.
Re: What Course Would You Not Advise Anyone To Study? by Nobody: 5:49pm On May 01, 2013
BANANoLOgy ONE OF THE BEST courses so far....from the school of Banana island...you can consult Yuzedo for further clarifications!!

2 Likes

Re: What Course Would You Not Advise Anyone To Study? by hotbabe001(f): 5:50pm On May 01, 2013
Any body dat studied Estate management u are on ur own because agents no go allow u see road.
Re: What Course Would You Not Advise Anyone To Study? by babs4090(m): 5:52pm On May 01, 2013
As a computer science graduate, I would advice any science oriented person to either study computer science or computer engineering cos they are relevant in the labour market and you can easily start up your own company if job opportunities are not forth coming.
Re: What Course Would You Not Advise Anyone To Study? by femmy2010(m): 5:53pm On May 01, 2013
Study whatever course you like BUT most important thing is that you come out with a superb grade and not forgetting placing God 1st as he is the one that crowns our effort.
Someone with a 1st class in Zoology sure has an higher chance of success in the Labor Market compared to one with a Pass in Biz Admin.

1 Like

Re: What Course Would You Not Advise Anyone To Study? by EFEJU(f): 5:53pm On May 01, 2013
Soil scient is a very good course cos it has very high market value can mostly work oil companies infact dey are hot cake
Re: What Course Would You Not Advise Anyone To Study? by rezzy: 5:55pm On May 01, 2013
rash47: HISTORY is the mother of all discipline,anybody that mention it up there is a dumbass.

My younger sister is complaining everyday, she said the course is too wide. Infact she is getting thinner by the day.
Re: What Course Would You Not Advise Anyone To Study? by okoagwu(m): 5:56pm On May 01, 2013
I will advice someone 2 study crop production. And landscape management! If not satisfied with this e can go and study computer science because the future of this nation depends on infotech and agric once oil finish
Re: What Course Would You Not Advise Anyone To Study? by rezzy: 5:56pm On May 01, 2013
hotbabe001: Any body dat studied Estate management u are on ur own because agents no go allow u see road.

I cannot help but laugh.
Re: What Course Would You Not Advise Anyone To Study? by Nobody: 5:56pm On May 01, 2013
dearestsewa: @Phonon, infact u spoke my mind. Hw can u study archeology or classics or sm obsolete courses &xpect a job wen u wl b competing wt informatn tech, law, finance mgt tech grads? My advice, google d jobs in demand by 2030, choose d one u lyk and study ahead of it. I also did dat research few days ago.

Its only in nigeria archeology has no value...it is good for theological studies
Re: What Course Would You Not Advise Anyone To Study? by oc2fish: 5:57pm On May 01, 2013
In the field of Agriculture Fisheries is the only course you can study and get employed while in the university.

1 Like

Re: What Course Would You Not Advise Anyone To Study? by Shaw007(m): 5:58pm On May 01, 2013
carr96: ...well, anything can happen grin

I knw someone who studied geology and he presently works with zenith bank and another who studied applied biology but works as a customs officer

CONNECTIONS grin.....jst "Know" people
so what's your point?? . . You're basically saying Geologists have no place In this country Unless they know people?? Either you friends came out with terrible grades or didn't Look well enough!!

How ignorant can Nigerians Get??
Just go to Jobberman,click on oil and Gas ,and feed your eyes on how Geologists are In high demand,wtf!!!

Infact most of the courses some apparently stu.pid ppl are mentioning here actualy are applicable even in Nigeria,and you don't really need to know anyone before you work in your field

Our very great problem in this country is just ignorance and Inexposure,simply put!!

1 Like

Re: What Course Would You Not Advise Anyone To Study? by Nobody: 6:00pm On May 01, 2013
50calibre:

What are you saying bro! You studied computer science and you are saying it like its some mediocre course. i studied computer science as well, I graduated last year.

Computer science is vast, with opportunities everywhere. We live in a computer age so computer scientists would find it increasingly easy. During my final year IBM came to my university looking to employ as many as possible, I passed on the opportunity because Im going on to do my masters this summer.

I understand its not all about degrees, our president GEJ is a quintessential case, he studied something as crazy as zoology but yet he is a president.

All I'm saying is, I'd prefer not to take that chance.

I get you though.

This is a classic common ground moment.

Salutations bruddah

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Salary For Arik Air Workers / 1.5M Monthly In Nigeria Vs 4k Pounds Monthly In The UK / The Most Difficult Age For Most Nigerian Men

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.