Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,454 members, 7,819,666 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:16 PM

Kneeling Down To Greet Mother-in-law: Oddity Or Obeisance? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Kneeling Down To Greet Mother-in-law: Oddity Or Obeisance? (16719 Views)

My Uncle's Wife Served Him Food Without Kneeling Down; Disrepectful!! / Wife Insisted I Greet Her After She Have Given Me Food / Kneeling Down To Beg Your Spouse After A Fight. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Kneeling Down To Greet Mother-in-law: Oddity Or Obeisance? by coldgate(f): 10:28am On May 07, 2013
Hi,

I need clarification on this aspect of yoruba culture. When a daughter-in-law goes on her knees to greet a mother-in-law,
when is she expected to get up? Is a wife expected to kneel untill asked to rise? I am from an entirely different part of Nigeria where we only courtesy to show respect. Should the wife feel slighted when her actions are barely acknowledged? How should she proceed? Thank you!
Re: Kneeling Down To Greet Mother-in-law: Oddity Or Obeisance? by coogar: 10:44am On May 07, 2013
kneel down and get up after the greeting has been acknowledged. the mother-in-law should usher you to get up quickly anyways so no biggie! if she's educated, you might not even need to kneel down....

2 Likes

Re: Kneeling Down To Greet Mother-in-law: Oddity Or Obeisance? by coldgate(f): 10:51am On May 07, 2013
But she did not ask me to rise! That is the confusing part.
Re: Kneeling Down To Greet Mother-in-law: Oddity Or Obeisance? by coogar: 10:53am On May 07, 2013
coldgate: But she did not ask me to rise! That is the confusing part.

is she educated? was she busy when you knelt down?
Re: Kneeling Down To Greet Mother-in-law: Oddity Or Obeisance? by Nobody: 10:57am On May 07, 2013

Ok keep waiting to be asked to rise, when it is not as if she punished you. Just kneel down for her and get up, end of story. I would say what is even more important is to call her regularly and build a good relationship with her rather than serving punishment. Kneeling down the very first time is important just to play safe, after that, watch and learn the family dynamics and you will know what to do!

11 Likes

Re: Kneeling Down To Greet Mother-in-law: Oddity Or Obeisance? by Nobody: 10:57am On May 07, 2013
coogar:

She doesn't have to ask you to rise. Once she answers you, you rise! SIMPLES!

2 Likes

Nashville:

Ok keep waiting to be asked to rise, when it is not as if she punished you. Just kneel down for her and get up, end of story. I would say what is even more important is to call her regularly and build a good relationship with her rather than serving punishment. Kneeling down the very first time is important just to play safe, after that, watch and learn the family dynamics and you will know what to do!

GBAM!

1 Like

Re: Kneeling Down To Greet Mother-in-law: Oddity Or Obeisance? by coogar: 11:03am On May 07, 2013
alutacontinua:
She doesn't have to ask you to rise. Once she answers you, you rise! SIMPLES!

a good mother in law would quickly say "rise rise" even before your knees touch the ground. she doesn't need to ask the wife to rise before she does but i would be worried too if i kneel and the gesture is not acknowledged.

4 Likes

Re: Kneeling Down To Greet Mother-in-law: Oddity Or Obeisance? by MrAboki: 11:06am On May 07, 2013
Re: Kneeling Down To Greet Mother-in-law: Oddity Or Obeisance? by Nobody: 11:06am On May 07, 2013
coogar:

a good mother in law would quickly say "rise rise" even before your knees touch the ground. she doesn't need to ask the wife to rise before she does but i would be worried too if i kneel and the gesture is not acknowledged.

Some people are to engrossed in the tradition that they wouldn't go all 'rise rise' like that. They even want to notice if the two knees touch the ground very well. undecided It doesn't mean they're bad mother-in-laws, though...that's just how they are.

1 Like

Re: Kneeling Down To Greet Mother-in-law: Oddity Or Obeisance? by coogar: 11:18am On May 07, 2013
alutacontinua:
Some people are to engrossed in the tradition that they wouldn't go all 'rise rise' like that. They even want to notice if the two knees touch the ground very well. undecided It doesn't mean they're bad mother-in-laws, though...that's just how they are.

yes, they are bad mother-in-laws!
such things shouldn't matter in the grand scheme of things. kneeling or not kneeling properly does not show the true content of one's character.

2 Likes

Re: Kneeling Down To Greet Mother-in-law: Oddity Or Obeisance? by Nobody: 11:19am On May 07, 2013
coogar:

Poster, this is why not to ask about the simplest of questions. Now, someone is suggesting if your mother-in-law does not tell you to rise, she may not be good. Forget about all that, kneel down for her and get up. And remember, she is a good mother in law whether or not she tells you to rise.

2 Likes

Re: Kneeling Down To Greet Mother-in-law: Oddity Or Obeisance? by coogar: 11:26am On May 07, 2013
Nashville:

Poster, this is why not to ask about the simplest of questions. Now, someone is suggesting if your mother-in-law does not tell you to rise, she may not be good. Forget about all that, kneel down for her and get up. And remember, she is a good mother in law whether or not she tells you to rise.

it's not about telling her to rise - the mother in law did not acknowledge the gesture.

1 Like

Re: Kneeling Down To Greet Mother-in-law: Oddity Or Obeisance? by MrAboki: 11:28am On May 07, 2013
[size=13pt]^^^^ And for that reason, I believe she should stop kneeling down to greet. A simple cortesy bow would be okay.[/size]

1 Like

Re: Kneeling Down To Greet Mother-in-law: Oddity Or Obeisance? by biolabee(m): 11:43am On May 07, 2013
Hmm....
Re: Kneeling Down To Greet Mother-in-law: Oddity Or Obeisance? by Nobody: 11:48am On May 07, 2013
Mr Aboki: [size=13pt]^^^^ And for that reason, I believe she should stop kneeling down to greet. A simple cortesy bow would be okay.[/size]

This is what I feel too.

1 Like

Re: Kneeling Down To Greet Mother-in-law: Oddity Or Obeisance? by coldgate(f): 12:02pm On May 07, 2013
coogar:

She is educated. Well, she came into my living room though there were other people also greeting her at the time. I was the only one kneeling.
Re: Kneeling Down To Greet Mother-in-law: Oddity Or Obeisance? by Nobody: 12:10pm On May 07, 2013
coogar:

it's not about telling her to rise - the mother in law did not acknowledge the gesture.

Still doesnt make her a bad mother in law. She has just explained there were several people greeting her. Poster, no need to worry or read meanings that do not exist. I will advice you to respect your mother in law as best as you can. No need to serve punishment and she will naturally respond!
Re: Kneeling Down To Greet Mother-in-law: Oddity Or Obeisance? by biolabee(m): 12:25pm On May 07, 2013
Are the nay sayers saying that the tradition of courtseying (associated with SW nigeria)is local and outmoded or that the poster's intepratation of the tradition is the issue

The question then is what made the engris mode of greeting superior
Re: Kneeling Down To Greet Mother-in-law: Oddity Or Obeisance? by coogar: 12:30pm On May 07, 2013
Nashville:
Still doesnt make her a bad mother in law. She has just explained there were several people greeting her. Poster, no need to worry or read meanings that do not exist. I will advice you to respect your mother in law as best as you can. No need to serve punishment and she will naturally respond!

several people greeting her but the OP was the only one on her knees. she must either be partially blind or she woke up from the wrong side of the bed. either way, she's a bad MIL. a good woman is always aware of her immediate environment.
Re: Kneeling Down To Greet Mother-in-law: Oddity Or Obeisance? by greatgod2012(f): 12:52pm On May 07, 2013
LWKMD........
All these DIL and MIL drama sha.....
May God help us o
Re: Kneeling Down To Greet Mother-in-law: Oddity Or Obeisance? by greatgod2012(f): 12:55pm On May 07, 2013
LWKMD........
Why on earth will i remain on my knee after greeting, whether she ask me to rise or not, all i know is that, once i have greeted her RESPECTFULLY, i stand up immediately.

So, op, do the same thing, you dont need to wait for her to ask you to rise before you do, show respect, have standard and maintain it.
May God help us all.

3 Likes

Re: Kneeling Down To Greet Mother-in-law: Oddity Or Obeisance? by konn: 1:56pm On May 07, 2013
Re: Kneeling Down To Greet Mother-in-law: Oddity Or Obeisance? by Nobody: 1:57pm On May 07, 2013
KEEPING UP WITH THE OPUTAS
Re: Kneeling Down To Greet Mother-in-law: Oddity Or Obeisance? by konn: 2:00pm On May 07, 2013
coogar:

she cannot ask u to rise before ur knees touches the ground she is the mother of ur husband so she is not ur mate the only thing is as soon as u knee down and she acknowledges then u get up

3 Likes

Re: Kneeling Down To Greet Mother-in-law: Oddity Or Obeisance? by Chasitty001: 2:03pm On May 07, 2013
Na wah ooooon nairaland.

[url=our-naija-men..com/] Click Here [/url]

Re: Kneeling Down To Greet Mother-in-law: Oddity Or Obeisance? by malipalina: 2:04pm On May 07, 2013
hmmmm!
Re: Kneeling Down To Greet Mother-in-law: Oddity Or Obeisance? by Nobody: 2:04pm On May 07, 2013

You should just kneel and stand up, no need to wait for her to ask you to rise! undecided

This is another thing I hate about 'those people'. . . . Bunch of hypocrites. Like kneeling down to greet will make them live longer. Tufiakwa!

God pls make me an Ibo again in my next life! cool cool cheesy
Re: Kneeling Down To Greet Mother-in-law: Oddity Or Obeisance? by Nobody: 2:05pm On May 07, 2013
What if you're meeting a boyfriend's parents for the first time?
Do you kneel down to greet them and must your knees touch the floor?
Re: Kneeling Down To Greet Mother-in-law: Oddity Or Obeisance? by PAGAN9JA(m): 2:05pm On May 07, 2013
OP if she doesnt ask you to rise, you must sacrifice 2 chicken at her feet.

3 Likes

Re: Kneeling Down To Greet Mother-in-law: Oddity Or Obeisance? by omocheche(f): 2:09pm On May 07, 2013
So Education actually chase away our culture?
coogar: kneel down and get up after the greeting has been acknowledged. the mother-in-law should usher you to get up quickly anyways so no biggie! if she's educated, you might not even need to kneel down....
Re: Kneeling Down To Greet Mother-in-law: Oddity Or Obeisance? by DisGuy: 2:12pm On May 07, 2013
coldgate: Hi,

I need clarification on this aspect of yoruba culture. When a daughter-in-law goes on her knees to greet a mother-in-law,
when is she expected to get up? Is a wife expected to kneel untill asked to rise? I am from an entirely different part of Nigeria where we only courtesy to show respect. Should the wife feel slighted when her actions are barely acknowledged? How should she proceed? Thank you!

no, especially as the in law is from another part of the country, no biggie, you either kneel and greet up or kneel until shes acknowledge, don't read meanings into everything, she might just be greeting some other people as well or doing other things

i know some people kneel to greet their elders whilst on the phone 6000 miles away grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Wigwe (Beaten Ambassador's Wife): The Other Side Of The Story / Why Do Parents Pressure Their Daughters To Marry? / Would You Stay In The Labor Room With Your Wife?!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.