Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,517 members, 7,819,864 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:03 AM

Kneeling Down To Greet Mother-in-law: Oddity Or Obeisance? - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Kneeling Down To Greet Mother-in-law: Oddity Or Obeisance? (16722 Views)

My Uncle's Wife Served Him Food Without Kneeling Down; Disrepectful!! / Wife Insisted I Greet Her After She Have Given Me Food / Kneeling Down To Beg Your Spouse After A Fight. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Kneeling Down To Greet Mother-in-law: Oddity Or Obeisance? by dayokanu(m): 10:09pm On May 07, 2013
shymexx:

Why can't you lot respect other people's culture(s)? Is that too difficult to do?

FYI, there are tons of cultures around Africa and in world where they practice something similar to that...

Anyway, go preach your dimwitted and git-esque pseudo-modern gibberish to Obama and tell him to stop bowing down to other world leaders.. undecided

Maybe Obama too is primitive to bow down for Japanese emperor

[img]http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/.a/6a00d8341c630a53ef0128759fd303970c-800wi[/img]

2 Likes

Re: Kneeling Down To Greet Mother-in-law: Oddity Or Obeisance? by Nobody: 10:10pm On May 07, 2013
freecocoa: Lmoa grin grin grin.

Wtf is "mordeniding"?

My sister, even google no fit answer the question.
Re: Kneeling Down To Greet Mother-in-law: Oddity Or Obeisance? by biolabee(m): 10:11pm On May 07, 2013
devour129: my dear I believe you have never had anything to do with Yoruba people for you to say this.am Igbo to but I won't trade my Yoruba friends for anything or anybody on earth.i schooled in ife and had the opportunity to interact with core Yorubas from different states. They have a very open heart, respectful and there guys are hot. All in all they are not all hypocrites,they have the good and bad just like us igbos and I love the fact that they continue to preserve their language and culture
77 Likes

Frsnkly I dont get the lady
She says she is happy in her marriage and that god saved her from marrying the yoruba which was a taboo
Likewise god saved a yoruba man from you

all is well that ends well

e pass that one?!

1 Like

Re: Kneeling Down To Greet Mother-in-law: Oddity Or Obeisance? by biolabee(m): 10:12pm On May 07, 2013
dayokanu:

[img]http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/.a/6a00d8341c630a53ef0128759fd303970c-800wi[/img]

dont mind the fucktards
u dont like the bowing down or prostating ... leave it at that ..

but dont carry it and smear a whole tribe ....

3 Likes

Re: Kneeling Down To Greet Mother-in-law: Oddity Or Obeisance? by Nobody: 10:13pm On May 07, 2013
I no fit comment,dis thread pass my strength! To those sharing their views,saluta!
Re: Kneeling Down To Greet Mother-in-law: Oddity Or Obeisance? by simeonT: 11:02pm On May 07, 2013
If we can kneel for our pastors, why not our parents and our elders. Ibos, you need to upgrade your cultures to God's acceptable standard.

Re: Kneeling Down To Greet Mother-in-law: Oddity Or Obeisance? by kennykool4u: 7:52am On May 08, 2013
culture is culture and nothing can take that away from us
Re: Kneeling Down To Greet Mother-in-law: Oddity Or Obeisance? by edrys(m): 8:56am On May 08, 2013
kennykool4u: culture is culture and nothing can take that away from us
@OP I dnt think dis is d best platform to seek advice on issues concerning your MIL, your husband and close relative should be in d position to let U in on d do's and donts of the family and how u can easily win d heart of ur In-Laws. The fact that yorubas are more cultured does not mean they practicalise d same thing everywhere, the way U'll relate to MIL in a village in Ibadan is sure quiet different from how U will treat d one based in Lagos.
Re: Kneeling Down To Greet Mother-in-law: Oddity Or Obeisance? by majomayo(m): 9:22am On May 08, 2013
CUlture is very important. Each tribe has its own culture. Some shake hands, some curtsey, some bow, some kiss and so on....
There is no point saying this is the 21st century. all cultures have existed through the ages and will continue to. No need to hate a culture.
@op....i think you should have waited till your MIL focused on you before u went on your knees. that way we all will be able to clarify if she left you on your knees on purpose. I am yoruba and i know that my mom will never consent to her DIL kneeling down for ages. Her DIL's dont even kneel down with both knees again and she doesnt notice.. Like a poster said initially, she already knows what they are capable of. Since nobody compelled you to kneel, y complain? i do not c any big deal in you kneeling for yur MIL o....na her culture but u need to get up immediately except shes praying from you. Most older women i know sef will help you up...
No need for tribal war abeg... if u dont like a particular culture, no one asked u. u can like to keep quiet ..thanks grin
Re: Kneeling Down To Greet Mother-in-law: Oddity Or Obeisance? by ferhyntorlah(f): 4:46pm On May 08, 2013
majomayo: @op....i think you should have waited till your MIL focused on you before u went on your knees. that way we all will be able to clarify if she left you on your knees on purpose.

Thank you very much for this comment. This is what I would have done if I were in her shoes.

When there are so many people greeting a much older person, I wait till others have greeted till I greet. That way, I get the attention I want because I hate to greet and not being acknowledged.
Re: Kneeling Down To Greet Mother-in-law: Oddity Or Obeisance? by vanitty: 6:30pm On May 08, 2013
What I do and still do is the whole kneeling down and hugging them at the same time pose, before my knees reach the floor, they will carry me up.

If my relationship is not at the body contact stage, I will just knee down and stand up immediately but continue greeting them unless as someone rightfully said they are praying for you.

Poster, hypocrisy or not, bi won se se ni ilu ti wa, ewo ibomiran ni meaning what is done in a town might be a taboo in another. That is how it is done and that is what you should do. Period. Watch your husband I am sure your husband don prostrate tire in his life!

1 Like

Re: Kneeling Down To Greet Mother-in-law: Oddity Or Obeisance? by Nobody: 4:33am On May 09, 2013
dayokanu:

On a side note, while i understand why Obama did this, i cant help but ponder what was going on in OJUYOBO BUSH's head. I mean, dude, you are the most powerful man on earth, you don't bow to no one.
Re: Kneeling Down To Greet Mother-in-law: Oddity Or Obeisance? by biolabee(m): 12:02pm On May 09, 2013
A-town:

On a side note, while i understand why Obama did this, i cant help but ponder what was going on in OJUYOBO BUSH's head. I mean, dude, you are the most powerful man on earth, you don't bow to no one.

Why would the richest man in a country still pontificate for the pope man
Even kings and presidos bow
It's called culture and respect for other's traditions man

In japan the oldest and richest people bow to the emperor

Some don't like it but we do cheesy
Re: Kneeling Down To Greet Mother-in-law: Oddity Or Obeisance? by Nobody: 12:07pm On May 09, 2013
Uju knows how to push the right buttons cheesy
Re: Kneeling Down To Greet Mother-in-law: Oddity Or Obeisance? by mbanusick(m): 11:40am On May 19, 2013

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Wigwe (Beaten Ambassador's Wife): The Other Side Of The Story / Why Do Parents Pressure Their Daughters To Marry? / Would You Stay In The Labor Room With Your Wife?!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.