Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,179 members, 7,821,987 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:48 PM

A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians (13153 Views)

6 Harsh Truths That Will Make You A Better Person / "Foreign Trained Graduates Are Not Necessarily Better" - Nimi Akinkugbe / 13 Harsh Reasons Why You Are Nowhere Near Success (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by BarryX(m): 12:28pm On May 21, 2013
We have to define who a foreign trained Nigerian is and who's not. A lot of the so-called ''foreign-trained' left for first degree and subsequent qualifications after their elementary schooling here. So who's a 'locally-trained' Nigerian

1 Like

Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by 1forall: 12:31pm On May 21, 2013
cheesy
Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by 1forall: 12:34pm On May 21, 2013

The above comment demonstrates the typical Nigerian behaviour this thread describes in points 1, 2 & 8.
Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by segzicres(m): 12:35pm On May 21, 2013
Lol. So spot on. Esp the "you know who I am syndrome". That shii makes me laugh err'time
Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by AjanleKoko: 12:35pm On May 21, 2013
BarryX: We have to define who a foreign trained Nigerian is and who's not. A lot of the so-called ''foreign-trained' left for first degree and subsequent qualifications after their elementary schooling here. So who's a 'locally-trained' Nigerian

My bad there. Lemme provide some small clarification, since I brought up the topic.
The summation stems from various discussions I've had with foreigners who work in Nigeria, and who all seem to prefer to work with people who have had some measure of experience outside Nigeria. Be it education or work experience.

From what I have identified, soft skills seem to be the problem they have with most of us Nigerians (yes, I am one of them!) who have schooled and worked almost exclusively in Nigeria. Hence the various items I have listed.
Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by vanitty: 12:47pm On May 21, 2013
1,2,3,4,5 infact all can be said about some trained outside the country as long as you have the Nigeria blood in you!
We just need the right opportunity and we will revert back to "the Nigeria way" quickly. I honestly believe when Nigerians meet Nigerians, our "Nigerianess" comes out!
I mean just visit any of this places
1, Nigeria Embassy in London
2. Nigeria churches in London
3. Nigeria shops not Asia shops, proper Nigeria shops and even restaurants
4. Infact anywhere that there are 20 Nigerians gathered and no foreigner in the midst

The funny thing is we know how to act, we act right when we are with foreigners!
I mean for example, most recently i experienced this, this man at Heathrow acted right even with delays, unnecessary searches but immediately we landed at MMA, you couldn't tell him nothing! Dude nagged and complained all way through the checking process

1 Like

Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by ayox2003: 12:54pm On May 21, 2013
Urgh. It grosses me out when someone who's a member of a team takes all the glory for a job/project well executed. Pride, undeserved glory is rife here. That's why u're more likely to hear "I" instead of "We".

Frawzey

1 Like

Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by AjanleKoko: 12:57pm On May 21, 2013
1forall: I agree with all the points raised and I am not pissed. Rather I am glad that someone has been observant and patient enough to put these points together in one place in good detail. Most times this issue is discussed we address a few points in isolation, but seeing them broken down this way helps to appreciate the extent of the problems.

These attributes are a fair description of the average Nigerian, and to those reasoning that some other peoples are the same or worse, I'd say that's none of our business - why should we compare ourselves to bad or worse? Why not with better? Isn't that a demonstration of some of the points already?

Interesting viewpoint.
How do you 'improve' a people? I have always wondered.

Also, I don't think it's out of place to compare with others. After all, these are all the opinions of foreigners, who are judging us by their own set standards. Though I see your point, there is some behavior that is generally accepted as poor. Which is why I'd focus more on 1 and 2. If we improve individually on both, we can improve our general perception a lot better.
Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by lacleman: 1:05pm On May 21, 2013
You are completely right Mr. OP. I was recently in the country i almost wept about the general attitude and lack of professionalism of our people. Incredible!!
Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by redsun(m): 1:05pm On May 21, 2013
How about eye service aka Oga - madam and indignity of labour.

Just because they are working for or under somebody,they think they are enslaved to that person and can be treated like rags.
Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by AjanleKoko: 1:10pm On May 21, 2013
Let me add some fuel to this:

Those of you that classify yourselves as foreign-trained Nigerians: which of these traits do you think you possess, after introspection? Don't lie to yourself oh grin
Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by mediainspired: 1:18pm On May 21, 2013
A HARSH TAKE ON FOREIGN-TRAINED NIGERIANS (my general observations).

1. Most of them are over-rated and not half as good, technical or rugged as the Nigerian-trained graduates.

2. Most of them bamboozle would-be employers with fake UK accents and those employes suffering from inferiority-complex are usually deceived and hire them with a smiling face.

3. Most of them are lazy and think top administrative work or supervisory roles over their Nigerian counterparts is their birthright.

4. They usually don't understand the business terrain in Nigerian and can run down a company quickly when handed the keys than a locally-trained Nigerian who knows his onions would.

5. Most of the training is just a waste. The real training they have is the first degree they got in Nigeria before leaving for overseas.

6. Most of them are hired as square pegs in round holes in Nigeria. No real job experience overseas, but they're quickly hired here becos of the foreign certificates (by would-be employers suffering from inferiority complex).

7. After my close relationship with some of them, one thing is clear to me: NO ONE CAN DAZZLE ME WITH A FOREIGN CERTIFICATE. U WILL NEED TO PROVE UR WORTH LIKE EVERYONE ONE ELSE!

4 Likes

Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by chuckdee4(m): 1:30pm On May 21, 2013
^^ You have a point there, but there are a small % of these guys that knmow their onions sha, especially those with enough work experience.
Sadly these ones don't last in Nigeria due to the Nigerian way of approaching work, so you're left with the likes of the kind you described above
Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by DisGuy: 1:33pm On May 21, 2013
mediainspired: A HARSH TAKE ON FOREIGN-TRAINED NIGERIANS (my general observations).

1. Most of them are over-rated and not half as good, technical or rugged as the Nigerian-trained graduates.

2. Most of them bamboozle would-be employers with fake UK accents and those employes suffering from inferiority-complex are usually deceived and hire them with a smiling face.

3. Most of them are lazy and think top administrative work or supervisory roles over their Nigerian counterparts is their birthright.

4. They usually don't understand the business terrain in Nigerian and can run down a company quickly when handed the keys than a locally-trained Nigerian who knows his onions would.

5. Most of the training is just a waste. The real training they have is the first degree they got in Nigeria before leaving for overseas.

6. Most of them are hired as square pegs in round holes in Nigeria. No real job experience overseas, but they're quickly hired here becos of the foreign certificates (by would-be employers suffering from inferiority complex).

7. After my close relationship with some of them, one thing is clear to me: NO ONE CAN DAZZLE ME WITH A FOREIGN CERTIFICATE. U WILL NEED TO PROVE UR WORTH LIKE EVERYONE ONE ELSE!

mistook you for Mr Ajanlekoko for a sec cheesy
Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by AjanleKoko: 1:35pm On May 21, 2013
Dis Guy:

mistook you for Mr Ajanlekoko for a sec cheesy

cheesy cheesy Was I ever really that harsh on y'all? embarassed
Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by coogar: 1:36pm On May 21, 2013
mediainspired: A HARSH TAKE ON FOREIGN-TRAINED NIGERIANS (my general observations).

keep consoling yourself.....
most of the training is a waste? really? all those in-house training by big engineering coys, field training, etc is a waste? not sure if you are serious!

1 Like

Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by DisGuy: 1:37pm On May 21, 2013
AjanleKoko:

My bad there. Lemme provide some small clarification, since I brought up the topic.
The summation stems from various discussions I've had with foreigners who work in Nigeria, and who all seem to prefer to work with people who have had some measure of experience outside Nigeria. Be it education or work experience.

From what I have identified, soft skills seem to be the problem they have with most of us Nigerians (yes, I am one of them!) who have schooled and worked almost exclusively in Nigeria. Hence the various items I have listed.

right on the money

I'm all for people travelling outside their farms- afam stop dreaming about ny just go biko
Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by Ilaje44(m): 1:38pm On May 21, 2013
Alamen001:

Our business environs encourage this, just like the Chinese.

Have you dealt with Chinese before? Chinese are not rude like Nigerians. They may be rude to Nigerians in Nigeria, but Chinese are never rude. They may cheat you, but they are always polite. But Nigerians are rude, and the civil servants are particulalrly out of this world.

1 Like

Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by DisGuy: 1:38pm On May 21, 2013
AjanleKoko:

cheesy cheesy Was I ever really that harsh on y'all? embarassed

to be honest when i say the title, i was getting ready for the usual tongue lashing- thought some ediye-agric have stepped on ya toe at work again lol
Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by AjanleKoko: 1:41pm On May 21, 2013
Dis Guy:

to be honest when i say the title, i was getting ready for the usual tongue lashing- thought some ediye-agric have stepped on ya toe at work again lol

LOL.
At all.
We are all Nigerians. All this foreign-trained, local-trained, worreva. We share a common destiny in my view.

Hopefully maybe this perspective will help people look at developing their soft skills. I do feel we have a serious problem with that. The way we communicate for one. There are actually courses that help people with business writing, speaking, and whatnot. That might well be better investment than all these PMP, CFA, worreva that everybody prefers to accumulate.
Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by coogar: 2:02pm On May 21, 2013
AjanleKoko:
LOL.
At all.
We are all Nigerians. All this foreign-trained, local-trained, worreva. We share a common destiny in my view.

Hopefully maybe this perspective will help people look at developing their soft skills. I do feel we have a serious problem with that. The way we communicate for one. There are actually courses that help people with business writing, speaking, and whatnot. That might well be better investment than all these PMP, CFA, worreva that everybody prefers to accumulate.

no amount of courses can change the way we behave in professional circles. the gravy train was derailed from the onset. we were only taught how to solve quadratic equations and algebra in schools - they forgot to reach us about ethics and politeness!

nigerians are generally loud - simple instructions that shouldn't require more than a whisper are conveyed in a loud aggressive manner. it's almost like modern day slavery in nigeria the way bosses bark at their employees. the education ministry must put this into the school curriculum.

2 Likes

Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by Nobody: 2:19pm On May 21, 2013
I agree with the poster. Point number 2 is visible on nairaland, Nigerians tend to think insulting others makes them more accomplished.

I remember while I was in the NYSC orientation camp, though I studied in here Nigeria,I tend to think differently and I avoid geting my identity lost in the crowd.It was always a battle to get people to stay on a queue for food or allowance when neccessary. I was always trying to tell others not to jump queues afterall we would all be attended to; and one day I noticed one guy telling another as I was going back to the dormitory: "that guy na bad belle.." I looked at them and noticed that I was the one being referred to; I just shook my head thinking: these are the future leaders of Nigeria?

I think its the average Nigerian syndrome that has eaten deeply into the fabric of our national life, where every guy must be a "sharp man" and this sharpness is at cutting corners, disregarding etiquette and morals, condoning mediocrity and applauding affluence. Little wonder we are still struggling with massive unemployment.

3 Likes

Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by kwajahafiz(m): 2:28pm On May 21, 2013
I for one know that all these is true about home bound Nigerians.
home bound does not necessary mean Nigerians who never left Nigerian shores. It includes Nigerians who though have travelled outside of Nigeria for short periods, but did not study or live in a western contry.

These group of Nigerians all seem to have the iq, and mentality of a typical fourteen yr old in the west as can be attested by some of the low brow commentaries posted on this forum. An israeli living In Nigeria once opined that this country is ruled by fourteen yr olds.
people here are just plain dumb and ignorant...I attribute that to our haste in adopting western ideologies at the expense of our tribal lores and intergrity. Home bounds fancy immitating westerners to the point of shame, and yet innocently ignorant of his/her actions, just like a child.
Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by Nobody: 2:32pm On May 21, 2013
kwajahafiz: I for one know that all these is true about home bound Nigerians.
home bound does not necessary mean Nigerians who never left Nigerian shores. It includes Nigerians who though have travelled outside of Nigeria for short periods, but did not study or live in a western contry.

These group of Nigerians all seem to have the iq, and mentality of a typical fourteen yr old in the west as can be attested by some of the low brow commentaries posted on this forum. An israeli living In Nigeria once opined that this country is ruled by fourteen yr olds.
people here are just plain dumb and ignorant...I attribute that to our haste in adopting western ideologies at the expense of our tribal lores and intergrity. Home bounds fancy immitating westerners to the point of shame, and yet innocently ignorant of his/her actions, just like a child.
Nice,here in Nigeria I also observed that people tend to reprimand quicker rather than setting out clear instructions or boundaries from the onset.
Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by flowers4me(f): 2:34pm On May 21, 2013
Bro, i was outside the country the other day and got "seduced" by a girl, well, we ended up in my hotel room and when i off my boxers she shout "JEEEESOS! Are you from Nigeria?? Omg, what? You want to injure me with dat NEPA pole?!?! No no, i not do again." True story bro, true story! angry embarassed

cheesy but Yuzedo, how she take know NEPA na? she b nigerian? cheesy

AjanleKoko:

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
You must have been in Ghana or Sierra Leone, for the gal to be speaking pidgin grin

Try not to derail tho angry

She was wight!!!! undecided kinda huh undecided Sorry for derail bro! grin Tenk for being under standing and quite mature, we needs more MODs like u. I invite u to my Banana Island man shun later to eat tucky and duck meet! wink

@Topick: I AGREE WITH ALLLLLLLL your points bro! Nigerias are grate people! wink Cheers. angry

Hahahahahahahaha cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by 1forall: 2:45pm On May 21, 2013
AjanleKoko:

Interesting viewpoint.
How do you 'improve' a people? I have always wondered.

Also, I don't think it's out of place to compare with others. After all, these are all the opinions of foreigners, who are judging us by their own set standards. Though I see your point, there is some behavior that is generally accepted as poor. Which is why I'd focus more on 1 and 2. If we improve individually on both, we can improve our general perception a lot better.

Sadly it's not restricted to the workplace, it's already a way of life and part of our culture now. It's easy to see all over Nairaland. It is a huge problem and more so because it's not generally recognized as a problem in the first place.

Governments are the easiest agents for overall cultural change and it would take close to a generation for real changes to appear (in any society).
Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by ivytechgurl: 3:11pm On May 21, 2013
na true..locally trained naijas need to learn and be exposed jare..it's a shame....
Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by delors(m): 3:41pm On May 21, 2013
yuzedo: Bro, i was outside the country the other day and got "seduced" by a girl, well, we ended up in my hotel room and when i off my boxers she shout "JEEEESOS! Are you from Nigeria?? Omg, what? You want to injure me with dat NEPA pole?!?! No no, i not do again." True story bro, true story! angry embarassed
Outside the country? shocked That must be Cotonou! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by Nobody: 3:42pm On May 21, 2013
We are generally crude and unsophisticated.

Depending on what they define as sophistication, they could be right or wrong

We are usually rude, and aggressive. In fact, we mistake aggression for self-confidence.

Very true

We usually show blatant disregard for office protocols. This can be anything from coming late to meetings, not paying attention to detail, or blatant disregard for instructions.

Again correct

We are mavericks, and we like to improvise on everything. A detailed planning process is anathema to Nigerians. We just make up stuff as we go along, riding our luck all the way grin Now the worst of it: not only do we not have a plan, we usually reject plans from anywhere else, insisting on our no-plan paradigm cheesy

This is the one that annoys me most, the average Nigerian doesn't understand the need to plan. As small as a mobile phone, I plan properly before I buy one.

We are unnecessarily opinionated about everything, even when we should not be. In Nigeria you hear stuff like 'This cannot work here; you have to consider the Nigerian factor'. Even when someone is floating an idea, getting constant feedback like that can be disheartening, especially if you are paying the person for his opinion embarassed

Here both sides are correct, at the end of the day it boils down to the idea and the person floating it.... e.g does the person understand the Nigerian culture to be properly giving such opinions, because while the idea might great, it must be tailored most times to suit the Nigerian scenario... my opinion

We respond much more positively to threats than to incentives. Imagine, it is assumed that you get a better response from Nigerians if you threaten to fire them, than if you promise to multiply their salary. Or to put it differently, you get better results when you threaten Nigerians than when you promise them stuff.

The fear of losing a job motivates faster than an improved salary structure. The latter only raises ego, while threats works wonders..... so true.

We are untrustworthy and lack basic integrity. This one is rather cliche, if you get my meaning.

Gbam.... spot on.

We project desperation at all times, and fight over every little thing. Also kind of cliche.

Welcome to Nigeria, where a Staff will be angry that his colleague gave excess departmental gifts to a contract staff.... As if it reduced his salary.

Are you feeling totally pissed already?

Not in the least, its about time we started developing the right attitudes.
Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by Zechy09: 3:51pm On May 21, 2013
@ OP very nice topic you have raised. The problem is that the way you presented it will put the average naija man on the defensive (including me).
The truth is that it is a cultural thing which living abroad and interacting with foreigners will make you understand. You mentioned Foreign trained nigerians and the locally trained nigerians without properly defining the foreign trained as someone that has worked in first world countries in an interface role.I could also say some1 that infaced a lot with oyibo while studying here.

Example with myself,
When i started my professional job in UK, i went for my first meeting and made a suggestion, after the meeting, they all said that was so aggressive that it changed the mood in the meeting. I would send emails and copy different people would call me on phone and say that it sounded very aggressive. I had to learn how to talk and behave.
As resently as last week someone still told me i was a bit aggressive in a meeting and i was like WTH!
I have conference calls with people in Shell / Total in the mornings and to be frank you would easily tell the difference between the "foreign trained" and the "Naija trained" from the way the speak and shout down others.

I have so many examples in my head.

My two cents!
Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by esere826: 4:46pm On May 21, 2013
^^^
grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Giving Up Banking For London South Bank University / How Depressed Do You Feel At Your Place Of Work? / Should Your Subordinate's Salary Be Higher Than Yours For Any Reason?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.