Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,193 members, 7,822,024 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:09 AM

A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians (13154 Views)

6 Harsh Truths That Will Make You A Better Person / "Foreign Trained Graduates Are Not Necessarily Better" - Nimi Akinkugbe / 13 Harsh Reasons Why You Are Nowhere Near Success (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by Nobody: 10:15am On May 30, 2013
Ola one:
Okay. Noted. wink

They usually are.

So, you edited it in order to stir something in us?

Mama granite city, you know you're my mentor. wink

Mentoring you in posting vitriolitic posts?! You have me confused with someone else wink
Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by Olaone1: 12:11pm On May 30, 2013
naijababe:

Mentoring you in posting vitriolitic posts?! You have me confused with someone else wink
grin
Maybe you didn't know you're Mama Kofosi. No nonsense mama. On your Forex thread, I laughed so hard when you called Seun "Ode buruku." grin grin
Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by esere826: 3:02pm On May 30, 2013
Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by Nobody: 6:36pm On May 30, 2013
Ola one:
grin
Maybe you didn't know you're Mama Kofosi. No nonsense mama. On your Forex thread, I laughed so hard when you called Seun "Ode buruku." grin grin

Lol. And i was expecting a ban too but he chose to look the other way.
Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by AjanleKoko: 2:01pm On May 31, 2013
South Africans, especially the whites, are some of the most irreverent and rude people I have ever worked with, or interacted with. Same with Indians.

Personally I don't mind us being rude or aggressive. I would much prefer that we took that rudeness and aggression, and channeled it into some sort of can-do attitude. The South Africans and Indians are entrepreneural, focused achievers. I don't like the fact that we are rude and aggressive, full stop undecided
Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by esere826: 2:57pm On May 31, 2013
AjanleKoko: South Africans, especially the whites, are some of the most irreverent and rude people I have ever worked with, or interacted with . Same with Indians.

Personally I don't mind us being rude or aggressive. I would much prefer that we took that rudeness and aggression, and channeled it into some sort of can-do attitude. The South Africans and Indians are entrepreneural, focused achievers. I don't like the fact that we are rude and aggressive, full stop undecided

Umh......
strange ......
Apparently can't be answered by heirachal dimension of Hofstede's theory

http://geert-hofstede.com/nigeria.html

Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by AjanleKoko: 3:36pm On May 31, 2013
^^^
Very enlightening indeed wink
Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by Hope49ja: 4:39pm On May 31, 2013
BarryX: We have to define who a foreign trained Nigerian is and who's not. A lot of the so-called ''foreign-trained' left for first degree and subsequent qualifications after their elementary schooling here. So who's a 'locally-trained' Nigerian

As an International Recruiter and in this context, I will define a foreign-trained Nigerian as one with 3 and above years of full time education or 1 year full time education and 2+years full time "proper" work experience. 1 year programmes which many Nigerians travel for, is not usually enough time to have well-rounded experience.

This said, I acknowledge that some people pick on things quickly, so may change their behaviours or reasoning quickly. I have come across people who have lived abroad for 10+years and are worse than locally-trained Nigerians. Interestingly, I have come across people that have never travelled out of the country, but have impeccable manners. It definitely comes down to the individual, but the reality is that the chances of coming across a Nigerian with some or all of these characteristic is way higher than not.

In the world of international recruitment, we see all sorts, but it pains me to say that Nigerians come across as "unreasonably aggressive" - a lot, but I must also add that they are some of the smartest and successful at their careers.
Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by Hope49ja: 4:48pm On May 31, 2013
mediainspired: A HARSH TAKE ON FOREIGN-TRAINED NIGERIANS (my general observations).

1. Most of them are over-rated and not half as good, technical or rugged as the Nigerian-trained graduates.

2. Most of them bamboozle would-be employers with fake UK accents and those employes suffering from inferiority-complex are usually deceived and hire them with a smiling face.

3. Most of them are lazy and think top administrative work or supervisory roles over their Nigerian counterparts is their birthright.

4. They usually don't understand the business terrain in Nigerian and can run down a company quickly when handed the keys than a locally-trained Nigerian who knows his onions would.

5. Most of the training is just a waste. The real training they have is the first degree they got in Nigeria before leaving for overseas.

6. Most of them are hired as square pegs in round holes in Nigeria. No real job experience overseas, but they're quickly hired here becos of the foreign certificates (by would-be employers suffering from inferiority complex).

7. After my close relationship with some of them, one thing is clear to me: NO ONE CAN DAZZLE ME WITH A FOREIGN CERTIFICATE. U WILL NEED TO PROVE UR WORTH LIKE EVERYONE ONE ELSE!

I agree with some of what you said and employers are increasingly seeing this too. There has been a massive change in recruiting foreign-based Nigerians. Many employers will not consider people without experience in Nigeria, except for graduate/early career roles and some technical roles. The more commercial and senior a role is, the more likely an employer will be looking for someone with local experience.
Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by Nobody: 6:17pm On May 31, 2013
Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by Wallie(m): 7:00pm On Jun 06, 2013
Interesting topic!

I actually believe that Asian ogas expect absolute compliance like their Nigerian counterparts. Here’s my anecdotal experience that you can compare with Nigerian ogas.

An Asian junior partner in my firm tends to want to have his way almost every time during a debate with other associates. He will argue with you until you give up even though you believe you’re right.

In contrast, a Caucasian senior partner once chided me for always agreeing with him when we talk about cases. He said, “Wallie you keep nodding your head in agreement...that’s not want I want!” This is someone with about 35 more years of experience and more plaques on the wall than I have. I now confidently say "hmmm...you're probably wrong because XYZ"

Lastly, watch the video below to see the type of subjugation that occurs in Asia! I would have hit him so hard that his nose bone would poke his brain!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43bEczYIQaY
Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by AjanleKoko: 10:13am On Jun 10, 2013
^^
LOL.

Ironically, sitting in a workshop this morning, I cannot help but wonder if the new template for Corporate Nigeria is a foreign degree and accent grin

Seems to be everywhere these days. tongue
Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by Nobody: 11:05am On Jun 10, 2013
AjanleKoko: ^^
LOL.

Ironically, sitting in a workshop this morning, I cannot help but wonder if the new template for Corporate Nigeria is a foreign degree and accent grin

Seems to be everywhere these days. tongue

Someday sha, you will tell us what it is you have against foreign degrees grin

1 Like

Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by AjanleKoko: 11:09am On Jun 10, 2013
naijababe:

Someday sha, you will tell us what it is you have against foreign degrees grin

I'm not sure it's the degree. Means little really.
Must be the accent grin
Like it was said about Amokachi in 1995, you struggle to understand which one it is. African, British, American, or Acouse grin cheesy
Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by Nobody: 11:17am On Jun 10, 2013
AjanleKoko:

I'm not sure it's the degree. Means little really.
Must be the accent grin
Like it was said about Amokachi in 1995, you struggle to understand which one it is. African, British, American, or Acouse grin cheesy

I don't think it means little because you go on about it so much cheesy. As for the accent, dat na story, me sef get accent and I no be Britico or Yank
Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by AjanleKoko: 11:28am On Jun 10, 2013
naijababe:

I don't think it means little because you go on about it so much cheesy. As for the accent, dat na story, me sef get accent and I no be Britico or Yank

If you say so oh. undecided
I think the accent is what makes one take notice of the 'foreign' degree. At least, it is what makes me take notice.
Plenty people get foreign degree for Naija, always been like that. But this new wave of people talking funny in Corporate Nigeria is drawing attention cheesy grin
Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by Nobody: 11:30am On Jun 10, 2013
AjanleKoko:

If you say so oh.
I think the accent is what makes one take notice of the 'foreign' degree.
Plenty people get foreign degree for Naija. But this new wave of people talking funny in Corporate Nigeria is drawing attention cheesy grin

Nothing new in that, has been the case since 19gbongbonron
Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by AjanleKoko: 11:35am On Jun 10, 2013
naijababe:

Nothing new in that, has been the case since 19gbongbonron

Oti oo.
I have been working for just 15 years, and this 'talking funny' wave started in 2008/9. Prior to that, plenty people had foreign degree, but didn't talk with a foreign accent. In fact, if you didn't know, you would never have figured out that they came from abroad.
Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by Nobody: 11:43am On Jun 10, 2013
^ What do i know? I bet if I start speaking now someone will accuse me of forming accent as I often slip into whatever accent I speak with when I am excited and fully immersed in what I am saying.

The point I am trying to make is that people of 'our' generation did the accent thing all the time, even those that went to common Togo would come back with an accent and I recall very well how many of my peers in Sec. school often spoke with an accent for the first few weeks when they vacation abroad. So my friend, it has nothing to do with a foreign degree, it is just what the Nigerian generation X,Y & Z did and still do.

1 Like

Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by AjanleKoko: 11:50am On Jun 10, 2013
naijababe: ^ What do i know? I bet if I start speaking now someone will accuse me of forming accent as I often slip into whatever accent I speak with when I am excited and fully immersed in what I am saying.

The point I am trying to make is that people of 'our' generation did the accent thing all the time, even those that went to common Togo would come back with an accent and I recall very well how many of my peers in Sec. school often spoke with an accent for the first few weeks when they vacation abroad. So my friend, it has nothing to do with a foreign degree, it is just what the Nigerian generation X,Y & Z did and still do.

Hmm.
Maybe you are right though.
But I am not sure if the influence has ever been as big as it is today. I was at a meeting a few days ago with one Internet behemoth that is now in Nigeria, and the place seems to have focused strictly on recruiting 'repatriate' Nigerians. How did I come to the conclusion? The level of accent flying around was surreal grin tongue
Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by Nobody: 12:08pm On Jun 10, 2013
AjanleKoko:

Hmm.
Maybe you are right though.
But I am not sure if the influence has ever been as big as it is today. I was at a meeting a few days ago with one Internet behemoth that is now in Nigeria, and the place seems to have focused strictly on recruiting 'repatriate' Nigerians. How did I come to the conclusion? The level of accent flying around was surreal grin tongue

How else are you gonna know they've been abroad. A mechanic's friend in naija broke into convoluted accent when introduced to me a few years back grin grin grin. It is just something that a lot of people in our age bracket do jare
Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by AjanleKoko: 12:26pm On Jun 10, 2013
naijababe:

How else are you gonna know they've been abroad. A mechanic's friend in naija broke into convoluted accent when introduced to me a few years back grin grin grin. It is just something that a lot of people in our age bracket do jare

Abegi, stop defending the indefensible jare. Which accent mechanic wan produce? Fuji accent? cheesy

1 Like

Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by DisGuy: 1:48pm On Jun 10, 2013
AjanleKoko:

Oti oo.
I have been working for just 15 years, and this 'talking funny' wave started in 2008/9. Prior to that, plenty people had foreign degree, but didn't talk with a foreign accent. In fact, if you didn't know, you would never have figured out that they came from abroad.

well more younger people compared to 'back in the days' ar e going for it

I lived in the north a couple of years and I was already using 'fa 'ba etc it's very easy for younger people to pick up accents unwittingly-
Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by DisGuy: 1:56pm On Jun 10, 2013
then again maybe they are using the accent to counter the second point- aggressiveness

I doubt you can* be overtly aggressive with a british accent cheesy

do you dismiss everyone with a foreign degree/accent you work with or you go any extra mile to 'unravel' their packaging smiley
Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by Nobody: 2:27pm On Jun 10, 2013
AjanleKoko:

Abegi, stop defending the indefensible jare. Which accent mechanic wan produce? Fuji accent? cheesy

Lol. I am not being defensive one jot, all I'm saying is that almost all under 45s in naija do it.
@ disguy, i bet he goes the extra mile to unravel their packaging cool
Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by AjanleKoko: 3:01pm On Jun 10, 2013
Dis Guy: then again maybe they are using the accent to counter the second point- aggressiveness

I doubt you cant be overtly aggreesive with a british accent cheesy

do you dismiss everyone with a foreign degree/accent you work with or you go any extra mile to 'unravel' their packaging smiley

Why are you guys on the defensive?
Are you scared of getting 'unravelled'? grin cheesy
Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by 1forall: 3:21pm On Jun 10, 2013
The accent thing is a natural phenomenon. Place anyone in a foreign land long enough and he'll pick up elements of the local speech patterns, idioms and culture, it's natural.

Examples:
• Foreigners in Nigeria pick up pidgin English and other Naija mannerisms too if they want/stay long enough.
• Joey Barton spoke with a French accent at press conferences and interviews while playing in France
• A British missionary was in my church a few weeks ago and he spoke Afrikaans, Shona & Ndebele (an extremely hard-to-learn click sounding Southern African language) cos he lived there as a missionary.
• Youth corpers pick up local expressions of the places they are posted to.

However, because a large proportion of Nigerians who travel abroad visit and study in the UK & US, we hear these accents more, and the number increases yearly.

On the other hand, notice also that even Nigerians who haven't been to foreign lands can do an accent too if they want cos they hear these things on TV/radio all the time, and are unconsciously influenced when in the company of people who speak so (probably the case of the mechanic naijababe was talking about).
Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by DisGuy: 4:03pm On Jun 10, 2013
AjanleKoko:

Defensive ke i dey kampe in my own lil corner

more like why are you being 'aggressive' atleast everyone now know you get kwanta
with anyone with a foreign degree cheesy

reminds one of Ishmael who won't stop beating BSc student with his 'proper' HND
Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by AjanleKoko: 4:27pm On Jun 10, 2013
Dis Guy:

more like why are you being 'aggressive' atleast everyone now know you get kwanta

LOL.
I do sympathize with Ishmael tho grin
Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by nitrogen(m): 4:44pm On Jun 10, 2013
Dis Guy:

Proper HND?? Hahahaha
Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by Nobody: 5:57pm On Jun 10, 2013
Dis Guy:

+1*1E6 grin

1 Like

Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by coogar: 6:02pm On Jun 10, 2013
AjanleKoko:

it's you that need to sort out your insecurities....

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Giving Up Banking For London South Bank University / How Depressed Do You Feel At Your Place Of Work? / Should Your Subordinate's Salary Be Higher Than Yours For Any Reason?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.