Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,843 members, 7,810,249 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:25 AM

A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians - Career (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians (13130 Views)

6 Harsh Truths That Will Make You A Better Person / "Foreign Trained Graduates Are Not Necessarily Better" - Nimi Akinkugbe / 13 Harsh Reasons Why You Are Nowhere Near Success (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by AjanleKoko: 1:43pm On Jun 14, 2013
Dis Guy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlnjhkXltfY
dont know who 'dirtied' convo with this accent thing wink
but if this dude is recruited into the NSE etc would you say
he has inferiority complex or superiority complex?

Interestingly the NSE since the time of Ndi Okereke-Onyiuke has been largely populated by returnees. Some speak with an accent, others do not.

Funny enough, neither Ndi Okereke, Oscar Onyema (their current CEO), Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, or Segun Aganga speaks with a foreign accent. they're returnees as well. Well sha, maybe because they are in 'Gurment', and don't want to get on the bad side of Naija politicians grin
Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by AjanleKoko: 1:59pm On Jun 14, 2013
biolabee: Don't sweat it bro.. Frankly I enjoy the issues he raise cos they are real life stuff

I have family members who wan travel comot and guess who they wan make hin foot bill ......

That ajan's thread was mint!

More troublesome generalizations:

If The Big Bang Theory was a true story, and the guys were all Nigerians:

1. Penny would date Sheldon, Leonard, Wolowitz, and Kuthrapali, most likely all together. After all she is only a waitress grin.

2. Sheldon's friends would have killed him way before Season 1 was over. I can just see the headlines in the Sun or PM News 'Brilliant Physicist beaten to death by friends over Thai food cheesy'

If you guys can think of any others, do let me know. I gbadun that show grin
Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by biolabee(m): 3:13pm On Jun 14, 2013
Lovely series

Howard will be a mama's boy who will not be able to impregnate his wife without lettin his mama know

Sheldon's girl buddy will be the chestless nerd who comes first in class and does not marry as she imtimidates every male she comes across

AjanleKoko:

More troublesome generalizations:

If The Big Bang Theory was a true story, and the guys were all Nigerians:

1. Penny would date Sheldon, Leonard, Wolowitz, and Kuthrapali, most likely all together. After all she is only a waitress grin.

2. Sheldon's friends would have killed him way before Season 1 was over. I can just see the headlines in the Sun or PM News 'Brilliant Physicist beaten to death by friends over Thai food cheesy'

If you guys can think of any others, do let me know. I gbadun that show grin
Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by coogar: 5:08pm On Jun 14, 2013
AjanleKoko:

I thought I politely offered to kick your teeth in, or crush your metacarpals. I typed it with the utmost respect for your person grin

Okay, lemme try again with a stiff upper lip grin:

My dear Mr coogar, with all due respect, i intend to restructure your dentition, possibly permanently, utilizing my capped durable footwear, at any time of meeting that is to your satisfaction. If that is not desirable, might I humbly suggest a more reasonable alternative where I temporaily dislocate your metacarpals, providing you with the opportunity of a long furlough from the keyboard grin tongue

Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by tpia5: 5:52pm On Jun 14, 2013
AjanleKoko: Ironic that it's our 'well-trained' foreign Naijas that are showing skin here grin tongue

And who are these foreign trained nigerians?

Are they responsible for your low self esteem?
Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by AjanleKoko: 6:23pm On Jun 14, 2013
tpia@:

And who are these foreign trained nigerians?

Are they responsible for your low self esteem?

No Ma'am. You are grin
Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by tpia5: 8:18pm On Jun 14, 2013
You think you're funny, hence all the smilies?
Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by Wallie(m): 8:33pm On Jun 14, 2013
1. People who “form” (make up accents) are usually only able to fool local people. grin

2. A Nigerian 1 or 2 years off the boat trying to speak with an American accent will not be understood by Americans.

3. Most people typically code-switch (change accents depending on who they're talking to). Unconsciously, people tend to speak like people around them. I have a 10 year old cousin that went to Nigeria for the first time for about 1 year and when she came back, her English was 100% straight out of Naija!

4. Excitement typically brings out a different accent in people that speak more than one language.

5. Any Nigerian that left Nigeria at a relatively young age to a foreign country will develop an accent.

6. At times, people with accent use it to impress people but that's just like saying a beautiful woman is using her beauty to impress people – she can’t help it if one is impressed by her beauty for that’s who she is. You can’t ask someone who speaks with an accent to change just because people might be impressed except if the accent becomes undesirable.

Lastly, you should use whatever arsenal in your “selling point” to your advantage – even D’Prince knows that!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-91CoDKUOA

Off-topic: I'm actually feeling a lot of Naija songs these days unlike Naija movies!

1 Like

Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by lockedOut: 7:59pm On Jun 16, 2013
Dis Guy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlnjhkXltfY

dont know who 'dirtied' convo with this accent thing wink
but if this dude is recruited into the NSE etc would you say
he has inferiority complex or superiority complex?

Lol, I really don't know Ibukun Adebayo to determine weather he was brought up in Nigeria or not. Maybe I did not pass my message across well enough. When AOPs talk on radio I believe their first responsibility is to their audience. This accent thing is not local to Lagos alone, listen to some privately owned radio stations in other states and you will find this true as well. A friend that works as one also has the accent while on radio and I know very well he has never been to Togo so where is the accent coming from? What I am trying to say is, why should anyone who has never had any reason to go outside of Nigeria have a foreign accent?
Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by lockedOut: 8:02pm On Jun 16, 2013
Maybe I did not understand your points, maybe if you had written them in Yoruba i would have understood grin grin grin....
AjanleKoko:

I thought I had stated it earlier in some posts. I can't quote them because we're on this page unfortunately, but if you go to the first and second pages on this thread, you can review my initial comments.

Essentially I found most of the generalizations rather amusing, some of them outright silly. But because nobody dey know pass, I felt it would be good to subject them to the scrutiny of fellow Nigerians.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

How Depressed Do You Feel At Your Place Of Work? / Should Your Subordinate's Salary Be Higher Than Yours For Any Reason? / Giving Up Banking For London South Bank University

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.