Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,892 members, 7,821,118 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:26 AM

A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians (13151 Views)

6 Harsh Truths That Will Make You A Better Person / "Foreign Trained Graduates Are Not Necessarily Better" - Nimi Akinkugbe / 13 Harsh Reasons Why You Are Nowhere Near Success (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by Koolking(m): 4:48pm On May 21, 2013
We are generally desperate, always in a rush (Lagosians especially) in a lush with absolute disregard to collective interest.
Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by willycrown: 5:09pm On May 21, 2013
Interesting topic.

However, as someone who has managed a lot "Nigeria trained" and "foreign trained" staff, I will say this post is guilty of faulty generalization. Empirical fact has not shown that there is any difference in (terms of output and conduct) between the foreign trained folks and the locally trained ones.

What I have observed is that foreign trained folks are generally priggish and tend to assume an air of superiority. This post just corroborates that.

In a previous job, I was managing an international team based in different countries in Asia, Africa, South America and North America and honestly, all of them, without exceptions exhibited at least one of the points raised in this post.

I think it will be interesting to see someone write a Phd thesis on "the impact of western cultural imperialism on the psyche of Nigerians"

2 Likes

Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by 1forall: 5:49pm On May 21, 2013
^ Your post criticizes the OP of faulty generalization, but haven't you done just the same by suggesting your personal empirical evidence invalidates the OP's points?

Very many studies have already been done on the subject of western imperialism in Africa - there're several on the Internet if you check.

1 Like

Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by firestar(f): 6:03pm On May 21, 2013
"The impact of western cultural imperialism on the psyche of Nigerians"

Now that is worth writing on.
Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by AjanleKoko: 6:07pm On May 21, 2013
firestar:

Now that is worth writing on.

Seconded. Would be definitely worth researching. Because, frankly speaking, it is difficult to decipher our true nature.
Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by firestar(f): 6:15pm On May 21, 2013
AjanleKoko:

Seconded. Would be definitely worth researching. Because, frankly speaking, it is difficult to decipher our true nature.

Probably because we hide under so many assumptions, no?
Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by DisGuy: 7:00pm On May 21, 2013
AjanleKoko:

LOL.
At all.
We are all Nigerians. All this foreign-trained, local-trained, worreva. We share a common destiny in my view.

Hopefully maybe this perspective will help people look at developing their soft skills. I do feel we have a serious problem with that. The way we communicate for one. There are actually courses that help people with business writing, speaking, and whatnot. That might well be better investment than all these PMP, CFA, worreva t[b]hat everybody prefers to accumulate.[/b]

in addition to what other forumite about the society in general

all these training/certificate sell over the others because companies perhaps use these as part of their screening tools
and the first advice most job seekers get is to do one or two courses or join some redundant institute like NIM
Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by Olaone1: 8:52pm On May 21, 2013
AjanleKoko:

6. We respond much more positively to threats than to incentives. Imagine, it is assumed that you get a better response from Nigerians if you threaten to fire them, than if you promise to multiply their salary. Or to put it differently, you get better results when you threaten Nigerians than when you promise them stuff.

Very true. But, only got to know about no.6 last year sha.

In Nigeria, don't bother yourself with theory X and theory Y. Use theory X and theory X again. embarassed

Edited
Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by Nobody: 10:48pm On May 21, 2013
9. Many Nigerians generally have inferiority complex. That's why most Nigerian bosses have poor managerial skills. They just love seeing their egos massaged.
10. Many Nigerians in office work are not quick to respond your request. They think delaying a response shows importance or value. They love been reminded over and over again before they act.
11. They think through issues sentimentally eg. "He doesn't greet", "he doesn't stay beyond normal working hours", "he didn't pay the sum for the wedding ceremony"

Etc etc

Forget locally trained Nigerians. Personally, I just feel many blacks suffer from low self esteem. A lot of issues in the office and out of it - dictatorial attitude of boss, unhealthy competition, uncouth language, poor attitude, greed, intentional delay in response, etc can be traced to low self esteem.

3 Likes

Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by heisenberg33: 2:44am On May 22, 2013
coogar:

no amount of courses can change the way we behave in professional circles. the gravy train was derailed from the onset. we were only taught how to solve quadratic equations and algebra in schools - they forgot to reach us about ethics and politeness!

[/b]nigerians are generally loud - simple instructions that shouldn't require more than a whisper are conveyed in a loud aggressive manner[b]. it's almost like modern day slavery in nigeria the way bosses bark at their employees. the education ministry must put this into the school curriculum.
[b][/b]

ahahhahahahhahaha..................This is indeed so true
Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by Bidvest2020: 11:26am On May 22, 2013
AjanleKoko:

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
You must have been in Ghana or Sierra Leone, for the gal to be speaking pidgin grin

Try not to derail tho angry
Ghana or SL? why not somalia?
Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by AjanleKoko: 11:28am On May 22, 2013
Bidvest2020: Ghana or SL? why not somalia?

Those are the only two countries I can think of, where they speak pidgin English.
Somalia na Arabic and some Bantu variant grin wink
Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by jbrodaly(m): 12:57am On May 28, 2013
coogar:

no amount of courses can change the way we behave in professional circles. the gravy train was derailed from the onset. we were only taught how to solve quadratic equations and algebra in schools - they forgot to reach us about ethics and politeness!

nigerians are generally loud - simple instructions that shouldn't require more than a whisper are conveyed in a loud aggressive manner. it's almost like modern day slavery in nigeria the way bosses bark at their employees. the education ministry must put this into the school curriculum.

About bosses barking...That's bad!But have you noticed most times Nigerians don't take others serious unless they are barked at?If a boss becomes so reasonable and decideds to "whisper" those under him would take him for a ride.Nigerians actualy enjoy being treated harshly as doing otherwise makes one look like a fool.
Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by Nobody: 8:51am On May 28, 2013
The OP is very right here. It's actually not about being locally trained or not, it's just a cultural thing. We have a culture of being rude, not thorough, aggressive and generally poor attitude to work.
The reason it seems the foreign trained grads are different is because they have been forced to adopt the culture of the society they have gone to study. A rude person will unconsciously become polite over time when he surrounds himself with polite people.
Schools should not only teach academics but general lifestyle courses. Kids in kindergarten should be taught to be courteous, rational and polite. It will take a whole generation to notice a difference but we can start now.

3 Likes

Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by birdman(m): 1:21pm On May 28, 2013
Gaggi: The OP is very right here. It's actually not about being locally trained or not, it's just a cultural thing. We have a culture of being rude, not thorough, aggressive and generally poor attitude to work.
The reason it seems the foreign trained grads are different is because they have been forced to adopt the culture of the society they have gone to study. A rude person will unconsciously become polite over time when he surrounds himself with polite people.
Schools should not only teach academics but general lifestyle courses. Kids in kindergarten should be taught to be courteous, rational and polite. It will take a whole generation to notice a difference but we can start now.

You nailed it. You can usually tell a Nigerian that has just landed. Give it 6 months to a year, and a mellower version usually appears tongue. I dont know that your prescription will work though...we are taught to be courteous and our cultures usually emphasize some level of communal respect already. As someone mentioned earlier, I'm not sure we fully realize the western damage done to our psyche. I personally think you need to live outside the country for a bit and observe. I see some "locally" trained dudes rolling their eyes already grin
Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by AjanleKoko: 1:34pm On May 28, 2013
birdman:

You nailed it. You can usually tell a Nigerian that has just landed. Give it 6 months to a year, and a mellower version usually appears tongue. I dont know that your prescription will work though...we are taught to be courteous and our cultures usually emphasize some level of communal respect already. As someone mentioned earlier, I'm not sure we fully realize the western damage done to our psyche. I personally think you need to live outside the country for a bit and observe. I see some "locally" trained dudes rolling their eyes already grin

@bolded, here's the thing: Is it really the culture of all Nigerians to be courteous and respectful?
Controversial I know, but worth looking into.
Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by masagoody(m): 6:58am On May 29, 2013
when you try doing the right thing in nigeria, you become a prey. I spent almost two days trying to get registered in orientation camp because i wouldn't want to beat the line.Following the band wagon and the status quo(this is how it is done here) seems to be in voke. Now that these has been brought to our notice by the OP, we have to start treading the path of change..
As for the children of this generation, hmmm.... I fear for them....
Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by AjanleKoko: 7:05am On May 29, 2013
jbrodaly:

About bosses barking...That's bad!But have you noticed most times Nigerians don't take others serious unless they are barked at?If a boss becomes so reasonable and decideds to "whisper" those under him would take him for a ride.Nigerians actualy enjoy being treated harshly as doing otherwise makes one look like a fool.

Point 6?
Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by jbrodaly(m): 9:11pm On May 29, 2013
AjanleKoko:

Point 6?
Yes,point 6.It seem like many Africans just love being treated as slaves.You need to push themm!
Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by DisGuy: 9:16pm On May 29, 2013
perhaps some of the reason Oyinbos start barking orders when in nigeria- seems they are only playing the game

when in Rome..

1 Like

Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by esere826: 9:54pm On May 29, 2013
The Nigerian national culture is one of authority (high Power distance index http://geert-hofstede.com/nigeria.html)

I recently had a conversation with one of my estate's managers
I got to the point I told him point blank "look, I am a top manager, forget my lack of belle and easy carriage. Do not compare me with people u see around here, and do not take my desire to discuss logically with you for granted. You must do ........"

Interestingly it got done immediately. plus they keep on saying sir, sir, sir after that incident instead of oga esere826 or Mr esere826 that they used to call me.

This thing I wanted done is what I have been logically arguing about for more than a month. Chei!!!

1 Like

Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by Nobody: 10:00pm On May 29, 2013
^ In other words, civility does not work in obodo naija grin grin grin
Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by esere826: 10:07pm On May 29, 2013
naijababe: ^ In other words, civility does not work in obodo naija grin grin grin
Its a cultural thing

When ur in a position of high authority, ur expected to make demands that get responded to by ur underlings
so even if ur a 'small man', and u bark orders
it is immediately assumed that u must be a man oaf authority that is why u are backing orders

So everyone tries to gain an edge by barking orders/screaming etc (apart from the drama part)
Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by Nobody: 10:14pm On May 29, 2013
^ Let's just say being civil means you are Mugu abi? grin
Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by esere826: 10:22pm On May 29, 2013
naijababe: ^ Let's just say being civil means you are Mugu abi? grin

ok o I gree. for 9ja, being civil means u be mugu grin
for jand, barking out orders means ur aggressive sad
Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by jbrodaly(m): 11:00pm On May 29, 2013
esere826:

ok o I gree. for 9ja, being civil means u be mugu grin
for jand, barking out orders means ur aggressive sad
Very aggresive!
Even oyinbos when they are dealer with darkies
sometimes now have to bark.
Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by Olaone1: 12:41am On May 30, 2013
This is even evident on Nairaland.
Prior to my life on NL, I didn't even know how to unleash verbal attack again because I had 'lost touch' with aggression abroad. I had to adjust quickly because, on NL, you are simply assumed weak if you don't know how to give it back.

It is what it is. We are aggressive, arrogant and rude.

It is funny because we are religious and the observed pattern of behaviour has no correlation whatsoever with religion.

PS: The OP's points are so well structured the Oyinbo guy na one observant guy. grin

Back to my "operation vitriol" mood. cheesy
Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by AjanleKoko: 8:58am On May 30, 2013
Ola one:
PS: The OP's points are so well structured the Oyinbo guy na one observant guy. grin

The guy was a lot more politically correct than what I wrote here. I only helped to put things in the right perspective. wink
Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by Nobody: 9:22am On May 30, 2013
Ola one: This is even evident on Nairaland.
Prior to my life on NL, I didn't even know how to unleash verbal attack again because I had 'lost touch' with aggression abroad. I had to adjust quickly because, on NL, you are simply assumed weak if you don't know how to give it back.

It is funny because we are religious and the observed pattern of behaviour has no correlation whatsoever with religion.

Agbaya tongue
Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by Nobody: 9:25am On May 30, 2013
Ola one: This is even evident on Nairaland.

Rather it is the weak-minded that resort to abusive languages and insults. You were strong-minded but you had to bow to other's weaknesses. Be strong irrespective of other people's weaknesses. That's personal leadership
Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by Olaone1: 10:10am On May 30, 2013
x-fire:

Rather it is the weak-minded that resort to abusive languages and insults. You were strong-minded but you had to bow to other's weaknesses. Be strong irrespective of other people's weaknesses. That's personal leadership
Okay. Noted. wink

AjanleKoko:

The guy was a lot more politically correct than what I wrote here.
They usually are.

I only helped to put things in the right perspective. wink

So, you edited it in order to stir something in us?

naijababe:

Agbaya tongue
Mama granite city, you know you're my mentor. wink

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Should I Accept The New Job Offer? / How Depressed Do You Feel At Your Place Of Work? / Giving Up Banking For London South Bank University

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.