Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,113 members, 7,835,756 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 02:28 PM

A Story: Broken Vows - Literature (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / A Story: Broken Vows (96352 Views)

Class Clash- A story about love and family background/status / The University Village - A Story / Nairaland - Making A Story Out Of This Forum. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (25) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Story: Broken Vows by Diamonddamsel: 1:21pm On Jun 22, 2013
Wow great story.U are so good in keeping the suspense.More grease to ur elbows.

1 Like

Re: A Story: Broken Vows by oyestephen(m): 1:49pm On Jun 22, 2013
When we thought all is well....ugliness reared up its head. Not to worry Joe, God is im control wink

1 Like

Re: A Story: Broken Vows by glowingscenes(f): 3:04pm On Jun 22, 2013
Choca :
madam glow abeegg
Maria's brain don reset ni? Sorry for my use of words o.
LOOOOOOL....
it seems so choca
Re: A Story: Broken Vows by glowingscenes(f): 3:05pm On Jun 22, 2013
Aghagba: Okay,its high tym i tell u.glowing scenes are u 4 real,u are awesome,words cannot describe ur writeup.awesome glow.
thanks babe!! i appreciate u
Re: A Story: Broken Vows by Jumizie13(f): 3:10pm On Jun 22, 2013
Aunty glow, i c u o.
Re: A Story: Broken Vows by glowingscenes(f): 3:17pm On Jun 22, 2013
Jumizie13: Wow!!! I can see that it's we females that dominate this thread. Aunty Glow, may God continue to give u that inspiration. Keep on ¤GLOWING¤ The lord is ur strenght. Don't keep us waiting ma'am.. Muaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh
Loooool...was guessing so till mr tonyblaise popped up to defend the guys...its good to know i have both genders on my teeam guys
muahhhhhh to u Jumizie and thanks fr d encouragement
Re: A Story: Broken Vows by glowingscenes(f): 3:22pm On Jun 22, 2013
Susan hung her new portrait on the wall by her bed side and smiled dreamily wishing Antonio was here with her right now. She marveled at the sketch of the artist and saw how he had intentionally emphasized her massive red hair, cascading down her back and in the other portrait, he had captured her like making her look like those classic ancient princess, her red hair fully packed and neatly arranged. She didn’t know too much about colours but the facts of nature he surrounded her with couldn’t be more perfect making her look lovely.

She helped herself down to her books as she heard her roommates voices. They entered in time just to see her seated as usual on her study table.

‘hey girlfriend.’

‘hey.’ She greeted and watched them sink into their beds.

‘how was your test?’

‘great, never been better.’ She responded. ‘how was yours?’

‘a bummer.’ Patricia threw her books on the floor and kicked it. ‘I study for days and all that stupid professor could bring was ‘out of planet earth.’

‘pretty Miss Sue seems to be on top of the world these days.’ Debbie chipped in noticing the portrait on the wall and looking closely. ‘who is this madame in red?’

‘who does it look like, silly’

‘Susan?, Is it really you?’

‘yes, why…, do you like it?’

‘it’s beautiful…, I mean…’ she was short of words as she brought it down to look at it closely. ‘how much did you pay for this?’

‘nothing.’

‘sweet Antony made a painting of his beautiful bride.’ Pat teased and signaled to Debbie to notice the ring on her finger. Debbie screamed almost dropping the portrait.

‘why have you been holding out on me.’ She pulled Susan’s hand and gaped at the ring on her finger. ‘it’s beautiful, I mean I can’t believe this.’

‘well, you better!’ Pat spat and stood to look at the frame that contained Antonio and Susan holding each other. ‘she didn’t even invite us for the wedding.’

‘pat.., if I do remember clearly, I called and you were too busy. I left a message on Debbie’s answering machine and you didn’t even call back to say anything. Do you know how I felt that none of you even appeared at my wedding. well, just so that you know, it wasn’t something big, and it was lovely.’

‘I’m sorry.’ Pat said feeling a little jealous that Susan had actually gotten married before her and to someone so handsome and cool. She had seen the guy once when he came over to see Susan all the way in college and she wished she could grab him. he wouldn’t even look at her or glance at her. he had only eyes for Susan and it was pretty obvious.

She wanted to ask him. ‘what in the world did you see in Susan Graham that made you fall for her…, and marry her. if it was just a fling, fine…, she still had the chance to seduce him, but now that he was married. A hottie that was so married. This wasn’t another Jake Bruce. This one looked so good and responsible. Maybe trying her luck wouldn’t be a bad idea. At least, they were almost through with college and if anything was going to happen, they wouldn’t be roommates anymore. Afterall, this Antonio was a man and men could fall.

‘I forgive you.’ Susan broke into her thoughts and she smiled. If only she knew what she was thinking about her husband, she would skin her. she remembered the part of the bible that said, ‘the heart of man is desperately wicked.’ And she knew the bible was right, if she could remember clearly.

‘you know what, why don’t you invite him over for dinner, and we could all have a chat with him, like asking him how you two met and how he knew you were the ‘one’ who knows, maybe she wasn’t.., and she could prove it to her if fate cooperated with her. it always did.

‘sure, I told him about you two and he insisted we go out for dinner tomorrow night, after his class. He doesn’t really have time these days. I told him I’d understand but he insisted.’

‘so it’s tomorrow.’

‘yup, wear something nice, something casual.’ She scratched her hair. She wanted to surprise him with the hair, and he was really going to be surprised after she returned from the saloon tomorrow. He had asked for a surprise and she was going to give him one

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

‘wow!’ was all Antonio could say as he stared at his wife beside him and the change in her hair. Her hair cut was astonishing. He had never imagined her to look much more beautiful like this. Her red hair was short and trimmed to her shoulders. he was tempted to kiss her passionately in public but he thought better of it and whispered into her ears for her alone.

She giggled childishly and watched him kiss her cheeks softly. ‘I love you.’

‘I love you too.’ She replied unashamed and touched his beloved face. ‘and I miss you, so much it hurts.’

‘you don’t know how much I miss you.’ He kissed her fingertips and smiled

‘well, Antonio…, I would like you to meet my friend and roommate, Patricia, Patricia…, Antonio Velasquez, my husband.’

‘nice to meet you.’ He extended his hand and smiled at her, his other hand around his wife. ‘my wife talked about you and I wondered who is this special person my wife wants me to talk to.’

‘well, we saw your artifacts in the room. I’m sorry Debbie couldn’t make it.’

‘we’ll see some other time…, so tell me, lovely Patricia what do you love doing as a hobby.’

‘hobby?’

He shrugged. ‘well, Sue loves cooking and so many things, I love painting and dancing..’ he turned to look into his wife’s eyes. ‘with my wife.’

She laughed and pushed him away playfully. ‘he was initially taking dancing classes and he was my instructor for some time.’

‘and she was my student, hidden beneath that red hair and amazing eyes.’

‘so, are you still taking classes?’

‘no.’ he replied bluntly. ‘retired. I’m more into school and painting now, I want to have time for the wife God has given me and spend the rest of my life with her.’

‘excuse me.’ Susan stood up to kiss her husband and left for the bathroom. ‘I’ll be back soon.’

‘okay.’ He nodded and watched her leave. It took some moments before he brought his eyes back to the table and back to Patricia.

‘so, how many months now have you two been married?’

‘three months now.’ He sighed and finished his drink.

‘she’s very happy with you…, I mean it’s written all over her. so how did you two meet?’

‘long story. Opposites attract and then likes. I don’t know but I just know that God gave her to me even when I didn’t deserve her.’

‘amazing.’ Pat began to feel guilty

‘so, seeing someone or is there this special guy who’s going to get hooked to you soon?’

‘well, not really’

‘do you pray about it?’

‘pray?’ her eyes widened

‘yeah, you can’t just get involved with someone without asking the God who sees the future and cares about that future.’

‘do you mean to tell me you prayed to God about Susan?’

‘yeah, I did. Does that sound strange to you?’

‘I guess so.’

Susan returned and joined them smiling into Antonio’s eyes and joined their conversation. When pat seemed to be looking tired, the couple released her while Antonio handed her a bible. When they suddenly found themselves alone, Antonio leaned to kiss his wife the way he had wished to since he set eyes on her.

‘must you return to school this night?’

‘I have a morning class tomorrow.’ She curved her hands around his neck and rested on his chest. ‘You don’t know how much this is killing me.’

He breathed in the scent of her hair and patted her. ‘I have a class tomorrow too, y’know.’ He released her to look into her eyes. ‘but we could still make it up to time.’

For a while, they lost track of time as they headed hand in hand together to the house they had made a home.
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
Re: A Story: Broken Vows by glowingscenes(f): 3:28pm On Jun 22, 2013
Salma wanted to run back immediately she entered the hall where Trevor was practicing with his friends but she developed more courage and headed inside. She found him passing a ball to his colleague. For a while, she stood petrified watching him wondering how he could look so different in basketball outfits and in a suit. In a suit, he could look so gentle and humble but right now, he looked like a different trevor Graham, not like the one she knew.

One of his colleagues signaled to his friend to look at her, and then, everyone started looking at her. Trevor was the last person to turn and look at her.

‘hi.’ She greeted nervously and waved her hand

‘hi.’

‘o-kay! A friend smiled and winked at the others. ‘our friend finally got himself a chick.’

Trevor ignored them and passed the ball strolling over to meet her.

‘what a pleasant surprise.’

‘I know I shouldn’t be coming to interrupt you but I just needed to see you, is that possible?’

‘well…’ he looked at his friends and the basket. ‘I wouldn’t mind taking a break now.’

‘I hope that’s fine with the rest.’

‘yeah, except you want to join the fun. I’m all sweats. Why don’t you wait for me to clean up and we’ll stroll together.

‘sure, why not.’ She nodded

‘ten minutes.’ He displayed his hands before her and she felt like a high school girl once again whose boyfriend was a basketball player

It seemed like only minutes before he returned to her side looking clean and dressed in grey vest and jogging slacks. She raised her eyebrow when she saw the large tattoo on his arm and the other extended to his back. He noticed the look of awe on her face and he bit his lip. It was one of the reasons he hated wearing a vest

‘your tattoo…’ she gibbered when she saw he had caught her. ‘I mean, it’s…’

‘terrible.’ He concluded. ‘working on making it fade and I hope it does. you’ll do me a favour Salma, do you mind waiting for me while I go home to change. I really need to. We cant go out like this.’

‘sure…’

‘you can wait in the coffee shop and I’ll come join you.’

For a minute she felt offended that he thought it wise for her to wait at the café and not his place but she swallowed her pride and began heading alone to the café. Some minutes later, he was sitting before her in a white Tshirt and blue denim. She wondered if he knew how much impact he had on people especially women as heads turned when he entered. The shirt was good enough in covering the tattoo she had initially seen. She was beginning to wonder how holy he could get if he thought a tattoo was wrong while some women actually thought it sexy.

She on the other hand thought it made him look hard beneath those soft eyes. She noticed his tousled hair and smiled almost tempted to push a lock backwards.

He ordered for cheese cake and coffee for the both of them and Salma could have bitten her tongue. It felt so delicious and wonderful.

‘so, you said there was something you wanted to talk to me about?’

‘yeah.’

‘so, let’s hear it.’

‘it’s about Maria.’

His eyebrows shot up and she wondered if he actually loved her sister more than he potrayed and was just trying to camouflage. It was like every guy she fell for was always in love with Maria and she was just like the second choice.

Feelings of past bitterness rose up again but she was able to quench it.

‘what happened?’

‘well, now that she’s fully recovered, she won’t say anything to me.’

‘Maria recovered?’

‘yes, she now has her memory back and she can remember everything, only now she seems to be in seclusion.’

‘when did this happen?’

‘two days ago.’

He let out a great sigh and looked away his mind so distant Salma thought she had lost him but he recovered back in time.

‘I’ll have to come and see her.’ he explained and sipped his coffee. Since it has to do with her memory, then we’ll have to give her time to heal and recover completely. We cant rush her into things.’

‘Joe’s been coming over but she won’t let him in. I mean she won’t even talk to anybody. Joe is making it worse by telling me to talk to her, pleading with me like I’m some anti-happiness who’s behind it all. Can’t he see that it’s not also easy for me?’

‘then make it easy for him by telling him the truth.’

‘what truth?’

‘the truth about Maria’s past. I don’t see any reason why he shouldn’t know. It should help him know how he’s going to be handling the case as it’s a fragile one and it’ll help him when he wants to talk to her.

‘he never believed her in the first place. what’s the assurance that he’ll believe me?’

‘he’s now a Christian Salma, give him that benefit of doubt. I’m not saying he’s superman. I’m not one either and I can understand how it is when sensitive issues like this pop up but I believe God that something’s gonna work out and so let’s be positive.’

‘okay Mr. positive, I get it.’ She raised her hand and watched him sip the rest of the content. There was silence for a while before he glanced at her reminding himself about her status. Salma caught him staring at her ring and she wished she could hide the hand but it was too late as their gaze met. She felt embarrassed and he stood up almost immediately.

‘so, we’ll see again..’ he surmised

‘yeah, sure.’ She helped herself and wondered why their conversation seemed to be short today. Was he beginning to run from her or was it just because of Maria that he was initially spending time with her? she was about leaving when his voice stopped her.

‘I was wondering if by any chance you’re free tonight…’

Her heart was racing faster. ‘I suppose so, I mean I have to check my schedule and see.’ She didn’t want to sound that desperate and what would he think of her as a woman who was engaged. She wanted to show him that she had a little moral.

‘okay.’ He nodded. ‘my friends and I were having singles get together at my place and I thought maybe I could invite you and your fiancée…, if that’s alright with you.’

‘me and my fiancée.’ She repeated half consciously and forced a smile. What a modest man to be thinking of her status when she was hardly doing so.

‘I’ll call you.’ He suggested. ‘but I’ll understand if you can’t make it.’

She bit her lip but she said it anyway. ‘where did you say your place was?’
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
Re: A Story: Broken Vows by Nobody: 5:07pm On Jun 22, 2013
Hmmmm.
Maria's past.. Lets wait n see wat's gonna hapen
Re: A Story: Broken Vows by Valiantvaliant(m): 5:08pm On Jun 22, 2013
I'd like to use this opportunity to commend your good work Miss.Glow, i'm experiencing a difficult period in my life now, but the excitement of reading your story brightens me up. Bravo!!! keep them coming.
Re: A Story: Broken Vows by afrikoko: 6:19pm On Jun 22, 2013
thanks glow for d story so far, since last month, jeo said her mother passed on 15 years ago u narrated dat Den hadnt seen d right woman to marry over 12 years ago during wen Maria was hospitalized, pls i need d exact age was Den 41 or 44 wen Jeo's mother died cos He is 56 wen maria was admitted for d accident.....
Re: A Story: Broken Vows by glowingscenes(f): 7:45pm On Jun 22, 2013
15yrs ago...my mistake
He's 56
Re: A Story: Broken Vows by Emeralddan(f): 9:01pm On Jun 22, 2013
Glow dearie tanx for the wonderful update.....when is the next one coming??
Re: A Story: Broken Vows by afrikoko: 9:13pm On Jun 22, 2013
pls who is d continuity manager of d story? i know dat one day this stroy will b acted for all to see these key actor like maria, jeo, salma etc.....
Re: A Story: Broken Vows by bongila(f): 9:30pm On Jun 22, 2013
Awwww Maria... I'm seriously rooting for you and Joe! Glow babe,you are really a blessing. Thank you for yet another beautiful piece! We all appreciate you.

1 Like

Re: A Story: Broken Vows by glowingscenes(f): 11:16pm On Jun 22, 2013
bongila: Awwww Maria... I'm seriously rooting for you and Joe! Glow babe,you are really a blessing. Thank you for yet another beautiful piece! We all appreciate you.
thanks babe!!! i appreciate u very much kiss
Re: A Story: Broken Vows by glowingscenes(f): 11:20pm On Jun 22, 2013
Emerald dan: Glow dearie tanx for the wonderful update.....when is the next one coming??
tmrw by God's grace
thanks dear
Re: A Story: Broken Vows by glowingscenes(f): 11:26pm On Jun 22, 2013
JoBlè: Oh my! I had a feeling this was gonna happen when she finally remembered. Joe should have waited to declare his love,now he'll look like a liar. Mtschew, why now ehn? I hope Maria doesn't forget that she's now a christian and all this nyama nyama beefing has to stop. Haba!the guy don try nao.
Aunty Glow thanks for the update but pls don't leave us hanging here tonight. Please
loooooooooool
babe...calm down and just keep reading ummm...
thanks fr d love and anticipation of my story
Re: A Story: Broken Vows by glowingscenes(f): 11:28pm On Jun 22, 2013
talk2b: Ur light wil nt dim,u wil continue to excel in all areas of life.dis write up has ministered to me great especially d conservatn Sara had wit Maria abut her home.frm my heart ND daily I pray dat ur wil nt loose d vision of God.u actually made me sign up ND no regret.am so glad I did. Pls if u cud updates chocolate ND sushi twice in a wk,I wil b glad.icheck d site every day,waitin for miracle update.luv u wit d luv of God.
muahhhhhh...thanks for ur comments and prayers....i appreciate it soooo much!!! kiss grin

1 Like

Re: A Story: Broken Vows by glowingscenes(f): 11:29pm On Jun 22, 2013
weezii: just when i thought all was getting to synchronise wella a bomb blew. Hmmm lets see who survives this.

Salma or Maria or both?.

Nice one glow
ose dear

1 Like

Re: A Story: Broken Vows by glowingscenes(f): 11:34pm On Jun 22, 2013
emsheddy: thanks my lady for helping me end my night in glamour after the national team tried to spoil it. U too much jare. More gunshots for u dear

im glad i could help out in that aspect wink smiley tanks oooo fr d gunshots...hehe
Re: A Story: Broken Vows by tonnieblaise(m): 12:13am On Jun 23, 2013
Thanks 4 d update....waiting 4 more
U've really touched me wif dis story,,how evry1 z givin dia life 2 christ....even patricia would soon become a christian,not 4getin salma tOo
'BEAUTIFUL' storyline

1 Like

Re: A Story: Broken Vows by tonnieblaise(m): 12:15am On Jun 23, 2013
sad
Candis009:
Jealousy tongue

*carries cutlass* take dat ur tongue back or I cut it off
Re: A Story: Broken Vows by hajiscojas(f): 9:36am On Jun 23, 2013
I love d story especially d character Amanda cos I was born July 13th too. Smiles

1 Like

Re: A Story: Broken Vows by Nobody: 10:04am On Jun 23, 2013
tonnieblaise: sad
*carries cutlass* take dat ur tongue back or I cut it off
Lol
Re: A Story: Broken Vows by mamatee: 12:12pm On Jun 23, 2013
Wow SPLENDID is all I can say. Glow u r da bomb. More greese to ur elbow.
Re: A Story: Broken Vows by glowingscenes(f): 1:21pm On Jun 23, 2013
It was already 7:30 by the time Salma got to Trevor’s place and she was beginning to wish she had stayed home or probably brought Nick with her but her pride made her not to do so. The eyes that welcomed her were not little but she was able to find her way through into the living room where the host was meant to be. She saw him laughing with his friends and that was when she noticed that this set of friends were different from his colleagues on the field except for two or three faces that she was able to recognize.

She didn’t need to go further to see that this was a Christian gathering. No beers, no cigarettes and no womanizing. It looked too clean to be worldly and she couldn’t say how impressed she was. She had never attended this kind of get together before, never knew that it even existed and never knew Trevor had someone else in mind as she noticed a brunette standing beside him and laughing with his friends. At that moment, she wanted to run back but she developed courage and went towards him when their gaze rested on each other.

‘hey Salma, it’s so good to see you.’ He smiled at her and looked around for the invisible fiancée. ‘don’t tell me you came alone.’ He sounded disappointed

‘I did.’ She placed her hair behind her ears. ‘I really did.’

‘what happened?’

‘Nick couldn’t make it.’ She didn’t mention the fact that she had not told him anything. She had even ignored his call when he called her for dinner and she couldn’t count the number of times his voice pleaded over the answering machine.

‘okay then, I would like you to meet Tracey, a good friend of mine.’ He introduced them to each other and she shook her hands. ‘a pleasure.’

‘Trevor told me about you.’ She said briefly with a smile. ‘feel free to come for our get together any time.’

‘sure.’ She smiled and knew it was time she left. There was no reason for her being here.

‘hi.’ His other friend greeted, extending his hand. This one was quite dark and handsome.

‘the name’s Rufus.’

‘Salma.’ She received his hand.

‘trevor told me about you.’

‘and how engaged she is.’ Trevor chipped in taking her hand and holding her possessively as if afraid of someone taking her away. He took her to a secluded place in the house. ‘are you alright?’

She frowned ‘I’m fine’ `` `

‘you don’t feel fine to me.’ He touched her head to check for a temperature and she wanted to melt at his concern.

When he saw that her mood was not due to anything physical, his eyes darkened. ‘did something terrible happen?’

‘no…, it’s just me. I need to rest. I just thought I should show up and say hello.’

‘there’s something you’re not telling me.’

How could she tell him the way she was beginning to feel for him. He would push her away and never want to see her again and she definitely wanted to, even if it was forever.

‘salma…’ he began and raised his hand to her cheeks. Her gaze flew upwards and she could almost sink into his eyes.

‘I see you looking so down and it kills me to see you this way.’

‘really..’ her gaze went to his lips and she knew she would melt if he kissed her.

He sighed and retreated suddenly. It was like he knew what was bound to happen if they stayed close a minute longer and she wondered how cautious he could be. If only she knew what he had been through in his past with women, she would feel for him.

‘I better start taking my leave.’ She murmured, loud enough for him to hear.

He didn’t stop her. he just watched her leave and he knew he couldn’t have been able to stand taking her home or he might have done what could ruin him. she was engaged…, how could he

‘how can I do this wicked thing and sin against God.’ The words of Joseph in the bible hit him hard and thoughts of Salma vanished from his head. Nick was his ‘neighbor’ whether he liked it or not and if that same person was his brother, he couldn’t betray him either, so why would he do it even if he wanted to. He loved Salma or was beginning to but she loved someone else and was going to get married to him whether he liked it or not.

‘do not covet thy neighbor’s wife.’ Those words brought him back to the reality of what he would have done made him feel guilty and he asked for mercy. Soon enough, he was back in the party having forgotten about Salma and talking with his friends.

When Salma got home, she found Maria in the kitchen serving herself to the tortillas she had made before leaving and deep inside she was glad she had done so.

‘hi’

‘hi’ Maria greeted and frowned on noticing the pale look on her face. ‘are you alright?’

‘yes, I am, just need to eat something and get some rest.’ She turned when she heard Bette Midler’s from a distance crooning from the living room. She wished she could borrow the CD and sleep with it. She needed some form of comfort and she needed some sort of lullaby or she wasn’t going to get any sleep this night and she really wanted to sleep due to work tomorrow.

‘that was some dinner you went for.’ Maria teased observing her pink sweatshirt and jeans, not excluding the loafers she had purchased from LL Bean. She could remember it was actually last spring she had bought them and they still looked good.

Salma raised an eyebrow. ‘what dinner?’

‘I heard the message on the answering machine and I thought you went over to see Nick for some amazing dinner.’

‘no, I-I- had to attend to something else.’ She stammered and quickly opened the fridge to keep her face from glowing red when she remembered how Trevor had not called her back or even escorted her back home. If only he knew how embarrassed she was and her pride was knocked down. If only she had invited Nick, but how could she when she didn’t feel anything for Nick.

She had been living in a lie that she was in love with Nick and been trying to manipulate him because he was ready to do anything for her, and so she had thought saying yes to him would compensate for everything, but now, she knew if she married Nick, she was going to spend the rest of her life in misery and regret.

Right now, her head was distorted. She didn’t even know what to do and where to run to. She had seen Trevor’s eyes and how he controlled himself. He had rules to guide him, he had cautions for every single thing he did and he had love, something she hadn’t felt in years, something she had experienced as a child before her mother died but never again. Was this what love was all about? Was this what loving God made one to become, to keep loving even when life knocks you down.

She could tell Trevor had gone through a lot with his pierced ears and tattoo marks that extended to his back but he didn’t show it. He was so soft and gentle and avoided misunderstanding.

‘you know it wouldn’t be bad if you shared what was on your mind and where you headed to.’ Maria’s voice brought her back to the present and she realized she had opened the fridge for more than a minute. She remembered her sister had gained back her memory and she asked. ‘how long have I been staring into the fridge?’

‘about five minutes now, going to six.’ She closed it to look her sister in the eye. ‘and if I know my sister well enough, she avoids cases by looking for what is not in the fridge but right in her heart.’

‘I wish we kept new hearts here’

‘well, we don’t and that’s gross!’ Maria’s face turned into a grimace. ‘even the hospitals don’t ice hearts silly!’

‘I know.’ She smiled and rushed to embrace Maria. ‘I’m so glad to have you back carino.’

Maria received her sister and held back the tears. ‘me too.’

Salma released her to look into her eyes and embraced her again only separated by the round ball that was between them.

‘so, tell me why do you need a different heart.’

Salma sighed. She couldn’t hide anything from Maria, except for the things she was still presently dealing with.

‘someone’s stolen my heart.’

Maria raised an eyebrow. ‘really.’

‘yeah, and I need a new one desperately or I’d live the rest of my life living empty.’

‘so, is it Nick? Or you’ve been holding out on me.’

‘not really…’ she blushed and Maria raised an eyebrow. ‘hey you! I can’t remember the last time you blushed this way for a man.’

‘oh my goodness…, I hate being mushy’ she covered her face and Maria had to drag her to the living room.

‘there’s no point Maria!’

‘there is, where there’s life, there’s hope.’

‘in this case, no hope.’ She sighed and murmured. ‘it’s Trevor.’

‘Trevor Graham?!...,hey! You are so hooked young lady.’

‘don’t push it Maria. I met some other lady at his place with his friends and I felt so left out.’

‘oh, so you went to his place.’

‘yeah, he was having a get together and he invited me over. He actually included Nick but it I felt that wouldn’t be necessary.’

‘and so, how was this get together?’

‘not good.’

‘c’mon!’

Salma looked frustrated. ‘he wouldn’t even touch me Maria, or let me see, he wouldn’t kiss me either.’

‘Kiss you?’ Maria frowned. ‘you wanted him to kiss you before you get to know if he’s into you or not?’

‘oh Maria, you don’t know…, I mean I don’t know. I just wanted something to prove that he likes me and I’m not actually wasting my time. he’s so good and innocent and I’m just so ‘not his type.’ I wish he could show me how he does it.’

‘does what?’

‘love…, I mean he loves all his friends, he loves you, he loves every human I see him with and I bet he can’t even hurt a fly.’

‘and you don’t think he loves you?’

‘he doesn’t.’

‘and how do you know that for sure. You didn’t even ask him. it’s not like he told you to your face. ‘go away Salma.’ You’re too bad for my liking.’

‘hey!’ salma cried. ‘at least I can read in between the lines if a man likes me or not. I knew it when Nick started falling for me…’

“trevor is not Nick Salma, when are you going to stop comparing men?’

‘Men are all the same. It’s easy to find out from the several ones you’ve dated.’

‘what if Trevor is raising his guards is because you said you were seeing someone. I mean what kind of guy would be kissing someone’s else’s fiancée. I mean I won’t like it if my fiancée was being kissed by another woman.’

Salma raised an eyebrow as the full realization of what happened dawned on her. she glanced at her engagement ring and closed her eyes. She is so engaged! Trevor’s words rang in her ear and she bit her lip. He had the mindset that she was getting married to someone else and he respected that fact. Was she ready to move on, without Nick? Did she really love him?’

‘are you okay?’

‘I’m fine.’ She began handling with her engagement ring on her finger. She succeeded in removing it.

‘why are you doing that?’

‘because I’m not sure if it’s what I want.’

‘then what do you want?’

‘I need time to think.’ she almost jumped when the phone rang. She glanced at her sister and back at the phone. For a while, she stood petrified till the call entered the voice mail.

It was Trevor.

‘hey, Salma, are you there? Well just in case you’re not home yet, I just wanted to make sure you’re okay, I mean, are you alright.’ He sighed nervously and she badly wanted to pick it up but for the sake of composure, she stood her ground. ‘I’m sorry I couldn’t escort you, to be honest with you, I didn’t want you to leave but you did and I really felt bad about it. I hope we can have lunch sometime after the game. Say hello to Nick. We could even have lunch for three, sleep tight, bye.’

‘wow!’ Maria released her breath. ‘That sounded like a high school Trevor.’

Salma didn’t say a word. How honest could he be? He was just her friend, nothing else and he wasn’t going to go any further with her. She decided it was time to retire to her room

‘I’m going to bed.’ She picked the CD and headed off to the room. Maria didn’t need to call her. If she knew her sister quite well, she needed to be alone, for now.
Re: A Story: Broken Vows by glowingscenes(f): 1:39pm On Jun 23, 2013

Maria dropped the phone and sighed wondering where Salma dropped her phone. She had been caliing for hours and her phone kept on going to voice mail. She wanted to remind her about the fruits she was to get from the stalls on her way back and now she wasn’t even picking. Well, she could go and get them herself after taking a shower. At least, she wanted to feel relaxed before driving.

She headed to the bathroom and thought of everything in her ‘out of memory’ life. Her conversion and the new life she had planned with Joe. He had taken her to see the new house he’d moved into because of her and the kids and her heart softened. They had eaten dinner at his place several times and he had placed her on the swing while he pushed her forward.

She couldn’t have wished for a better life. A life almost complete, the love of God and a loving husband there to shower love on her every day. He’d look into her eyes and tell her how much he loved her and she’d do the same, but now, everything looked false because it looked too good to be true. After Amanda’s death and the mistake and then his wedding to Tiffany. It still seemed like a dream to her and she needed time to think before she allowed him into her life again.

And if she couldn’t stand him enough to give him a second chance, she would return the ring and live her life, probably with Carlos who had been calling her and was dying to see her. she had to move on. Her girls would be fine and she would be fine with them and since their father was near, they could go over to his place and spend some time with him also. She wasn’t going to allow the past repeat itself and she was going to prevent any further damage by taking the decisions now when the girls were still babies.

She headed out of the bathroom after a brief shower and wore a loose gown suitable for going to the grocery store. At least, she was going to drive a car and do less of walking. She was just about picking her wallet when a sharp pain pierced through her. she breathed slowly as she realized the contractions were coming again. Five minutes…, just five minutes, she told herself and she tried as much as possible to keep calm. Maybe false labor, she assured herself remembering her next appointment was still next week Friday and this was only the beginning of a new week.

She closed her eyes and reached for the phone. The contractions were becoming more pronounced and she really needed someone, terribly. She looked down at her stomach and she suddenly stood transfixed noticing the pool of water on the floor.

She dialed Salma’s number again but still voice mail. She needed someone close now! She dialed Joe’s number immediately.

‘Maria?’ his sonorous voice sounded from the other end. She gasped and breathed in, about to scream but she managed

‘oh Joe…, please…’ she groaned over the phone and she was so much in pain she didn’t hear the phone click on the other end.

‘joe?’ she blinked realizing the phone lines had gone dead. He didn’t even wait for her to explain anything. Could he be that scared. she was more than scared. what if the baby came now, how would she handle it? She had to make it. She really needed to. She had done this before and she could do it again. Just as she was about thinking of someone else to call, the back door jerked open and she turned to see who was the intruding visitor.

‘joe?’ she breathed

‘c’mon.., we’ll make it to the hospital in time.’ he coaxed running to her side and leading her outside the house and into his car. She didn’t take note of all that was going on around her and the only thing she remembered was that she was lying on the hospital bed crying and pushing at the same time. she knew she pushed so hard and the tears on her face were getting to unnerve the nurse that was standing beside her and telling her to push. She wanted to scream at her to stop yelling and she wanted the babies to come out quickly.

And then, the sound of a cry brought calmness to her soul and she sank her head unto the pillow. The second cry made her smile in the midst of her tears. The announcement by the nurse confirmed her babies were safe and healthy and she didn’t know when she drowsed into a heavy sleep.

1 Like

Re: A Story: Broken Vows by modele2: 2:26pm On Jun 23, 2013
Encore encore. Lovely lovely story.

2 Likes

Re: A Story: Broken Vows by jojoluv: 2:44pm On Jun 23, 2013
aunty glow, u have done it again.... Leaving us at the adge, thanks all the same
Re: A Story: Broken Vows by Holumayor: 3:09pm On Jun 23, 2013
Whao!interestin
Re: A Story: Broken Vows by Holumayor: 3:12pm On Jun 23, 2013
Whao! What an interestin story,i realy njoyd it,God bless u real gud

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (25) (Reply)

SCHOOL LIFE / FEIRE - A Romance Story / TAMISHO - My Story. My Life

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.