Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,200 members, 7,835,984 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 06:43 PM

Starting An Oil Palm Plantation - Agriculture (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Starting An Oil Palm Plantation (241794 Views)

Aregbesola Interacts With Farmers In Their Cocoa Plantation (pics) / Cost Analysis/How To Setup Plantain Plantation In Nigeria With Pictures / Invest In Oil Palm Plantation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (29) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by Fidoko: 1:48pm On Apr 12, 2015
I am based in Benue state, where is the nearest place to get palm seedlings.I intend to start a palm plantation.
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by keside(m): 6:13pm On Apr 20, 2015
Pls fine people, pls, does anybody know where I can buy the motorized oil palm harvester. I wld really appreciate
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by leosnr: 12:26pm On Apr 21, 2015
I am Leo, a ghanaian based in Lagos Nigeria.I am Consultant Agriculturist in the following area :

Piggery,
Poultry,
Fish Farming,
Snail Farming
Grass Cutter

You can reach me via the following mobile no: 08083777403,08054485777.

Email: leodadsonsnr@gmail.com
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by noblefarm: 9:37am On Apr 23, 2015
I want to plant palm kernel but I was told its not easy to manage palm trees, I was advised to plant cashew instead. The major problem of palm trees is workers to dress the trees from time to time, pls is there a mechanise way of dressing palm trees or I should just go for the cashew?
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by Nobody: 11:14pm On Jun 15, 2015
noblefarm:
I want to plant palm kernel but I was told its not easy to manage palm trees, I was advised to plant cashew instead. The major problem of palm trees is workers to dress the trees from time to time, pls is there a mechanise way of dressing palm trees or I should just go for the cashew?
What size do you want to invest in?
Both are good but palm oil will be better
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by Josh121(m): 3:34pm On Jun 28, 2015
House please how much can I get 80-100 acres of land in osun state
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by oxygen147: 11:38am On Jul 04, 2015
To all the great farmers in the House,i salute you and people of the likes of okine4real, MANGAM and Felixzo1 ur contributions were above exceptional standard. kudos for those helpful discussion of urs,i had to take my time to read every pieces and atoms of ur vital tete a tete.

To all intends and purposes, to establish a palm oil plantation in my village is driving me nut and i which anybody in the house could help me with a SOFT COPY OF THE FEASIBILITY STUDY OF THE VENTURE. Okine4real i have being trying to reach u via ur phone numbers and email but no reply for now, hope to hear from u personally.

To this end, @MANGAM, how are ur plantation doing,? have the palms starting growing well? would love to see more of those pics of urs. @ felixzo1,have u started harvesting yours? how are u going about setting the milling station? @okine4real, how did you finally solve the probems of transfering ur palms tree to other location and are they doing well? how well are they now? did they survive the transfer? I hope to hear from you all soonest. thanks. FOR THE MOVEMENT TO A THOUSAND MILES BEGIN WITH A STEP.

2 Likes

Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by tiwiex(m): 11:55am On Jul 31, 2015
Hi. Do you still have the report from FAO? I am very interested. my email is tiwiex@yahoo.com. I would appreciate any help I can get. Even consulting. You can ibox your phone number if possible.
I appreciate you guys a lot. And Seun too.
igbonla:
Nice thread, but felixzo1's gave the most accurate information. Young farmers should be careful when starting out otherwise wrong fram practices will lead to immeasurable losses that would send anybody out of business.

Learning is the first step in any business endeavor, go ask my friend, Nnamdi, at Alaba.

I wanted to attach a document from FAO as a guide but I am unable to attach it, Nairaland says I cannot attach anything bigger than 200kb. Document is 984kb, let me know how to attach it if you have an idea.
Don't expect a good yield if you don't follow established guidelines. You dont need to pay for any feasibility study document that is coming from somebody who may not have any practical experience.

Okine4real is contending with grasscutters attacking his young palms, pretty hilarious that he plan on using scarecrow. Scarecrow are for birds not grasscutters and he must not replaced the palms until he has the metal protector. Do not use net, as recommended in the attached document, except if the net is made of stainless steel. Most net materials in the market will rust out before the end of the raining season this year.
Spacing is critical and the same poster got it wrong, please do not proceed without correcting this error. Palm trees need the space otherwise the competition for nutrients will kill them off and kill your investments.

Maintenance of the plantation is critical, very critical to its survival and achievement of your revenue projection, Farming is hard but rewarding work, just do it right.

By all means, please introduce plantain into your palm tree plantation when starting out. It helps kill the weeds as the plantain grows up (it is generally used in growing cash crops that require some years to reach maturity - cocoa, etc). And guess what, the plantain provide the cash to maintain the farm and also pay for the original investment. Please do the analysis based on about 10,000 plantains per hectare (not acre) and tell me you wont make your money back in one year.

Pardon any typos.
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by tiwiex(m): 12:11pm On Jul 31, 2015
felixzo1:
my experience with oil palm plantation.i started my own oil palm nursery in early 2011,with 1575 seeds,bought from nifor at N15000 per pack,each pack had 525 seeds. i grew the nursery for 14 months. by June 2012 i cleared land for planting. pegging was carried out, then digging and planting. 1050 trees were planted it took me almost 4 weeks with 10 men to carry out the all work on a 7 hectare farm. spacing for my palms was 7 meters by 7 meters in a triangle . first weeding and fertilizer application was carried out after 3 months. npk fertilizer was applied to each palm tree.second weeding was done 3 months latter,towards the end of the raining season.by may this yr, i had carried out first weeding and fertilizer application 1 bought 3 bags of npk fertilizers at N6800 per bag.(open market price, may2013) most of the labor was done by myself with the help of some relative.the land used is inherited land. the money i have spend thus far is around N250,000. pls watch this video if you can.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ed4Jy3oGmjY and
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCgeD2gOc2U.

Thanks for the useful tips and videos. I wish we could talk. my email is tiwiex@yahoo.com Been doing a lot of research on this. I am happy to know there are people willing to share experiences. How can i get a feasibility report? I don't mind paying. Nothing good comes cheap. I would appreciate your response @felixzo1 and any others with useful tips.. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by dangelo101(m): 8:20am On Aug 09, 2015
I think we should appreciate the role of time passage here on this thread. This is my first comment but I understand how long this thread has been for, and progression of events from the very first post by the op to the moments of the last. I think It would be in order and also rather instructive that we all learn about the progress albeit rocky that our farms and all the older posters
Reddit:
Reference grin grin grin
I took my time to go through this thread from the beginning to this point, yes every single comment. I must give kudos to you guys. I mean you, yes you. grin grin grin
As an aspiring young oil palm small holder, I have learnt so much from the thread. I have done loads of research in this field but the information I've got from here is second to none.
The real life and practical lessons here have really inspired me more, things I never thought of or came across during the course of my research have all been dealt with and future opportunities.
My dad would always say that there is no substitute for experience and it remains the best teacher till date but learning from the experiences of others and avoiding some careless mistakes makes one even more smarter. That's exactly what I have learnt from this thread.
I have been able to put together some funds and going by this thread its time to take action and START.
From the acquisition of farmland to the sales of the product, everything will be well detailed out.
I'll be posting update on this thread and whenever I need help I can always run here for one.
Once again I thank you all.
are doing. So as to embolden the spirit of this thread which is geared towards idea sharing and common growth I would like to think. One we all appreciate!  Let us conclude on the best practices to grow crops satisfactorily for exports and viz a viz the numbers behind agric, which is generating revenue sufficient enough to cover running costs and returns on investment. Examine a scenario where 1 hectare is said to produce about 2MT a month. And the price intl for a metric ton of palm oil as at Jul 31 according to commodity trading sites hovers around 600usd, annually that brings the figure you can earn from a 1 ha palm tree farm to 7200usd even though it doesn't include cost of processing the fruits to palm oil! When that same 1 ha of plantain can yield in 10 months about 1800 bunches which can sell even at give away confidently at 600 naira per bunch, without any form of processing and a chance of getting higher prices if your yield is good and not forgetting it's (plantains) much more shorter harvest time and hence shorter turn overs! This lack of a discernment of the small holder farmers to choose crops based on the numbers and many more vague business choices after laborious farm work plague the mass engagement of many of our farmers and their ability to turn their farms into profitable money making machines as opposed to the tedious route it is today for many of our African farmers as a vehicle of financial prosperity.
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by omonnakoda: 7:06pm On Aug 31, 2015
I wonder whether anyone can give figures or analysis on the basis of "per tree" i.e what is the expected reasonable revenue per tree at maturity and the annual cost of running each tree. Does this vary with scale and what would it be starting with just one hectare i.e about 150 trees,Thanks and God Bless
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by danielhsuing: 2:43am On Sep 09, 2015
if you already have a palm oil plantation and is going to have a palm oil mill processing .
We just have the machines for you. contact us to know more!
Mobile &Whatsapp:+86 15527860061
Email:daniel@htoilmachine.com
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by omonnakoda: 5:32pm On Sep 22, 2015
Thread seems to have gone quiet for some reason.Please let us keep it alive.

I need some information for analysis PLEASE grin

Leaving aside the cost of Land how much will it cost ( annual running costs) to raise 900 trees. on 6 hectares
Please provide some details.

Assuming you have to clear the land
I.e clearing seedlings labour equipment fertilizer and other inputs
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by omonnakoda: 5:34pm On Sep 22, 2015
felixzo1:
my experience with oil palm plantation.i started my own oil palm nursery in early 2011,with 1575 seeds,bought from nifor at N15000 per pack,each pack had 525 seeds. i grew the nursery for 14 months. by June 2012 i cleared land for planting. pegging was carried out, then digging and planting. 1050 trees were planted it took me almost 4 weeks with 10 men to carry out the all work on a 7 hectare farm. spacing for my palms was 7 meters by 7 meters in a triangle . first weeding and fertilizer application was carried out after 3 months. npk fertilizer was applied to each palm tree.second weeding was done 3 months latter,towards the end of the raining season.by may this yr, i had carried out first weeding and fertilizer application 1 bought 3 bags of npk fertilizers at N6800 per bag.(open market price, may2013) most of the labor was done by myself with the help of some relative.the land used is inherited land. the money i have spend thus far is around N250,000. pls watch this video if you can.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ed4Jy3oGmjY and
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCgeD2gOc2U.
Good job!! How are things going now?
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by MANGAM(m): 6:57pm On Sep 22, 2015
Can we see some pics of the machine?
danielhsuing:
if you already have a palm oil plantation and is going to have a palm oil mill processing .
We just have the machines for you. contact us to know more!
Mobile &Whatsapp:+86 15527860061
Email:daniel@htoilmachine.com

1 Like

Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by MANGAM(m): 7:22am On Sep 25, 2015
Pictures of the oil palm plantation at Ubima, Rivers state
Does the name of the town ring a bell? Well, maybe because Rotimi Amaechi hails from here. Welcome to one of Nigeria's largest and most well managed palm plantations. This is Ubima town, Kelga local government area of Rivers state.

Story culled from http://amazingviewpoints..com.ng/

Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by omonnakoda: 7:24am On Sep 25, 2015
Nice photos. The trees look quite tall. I thought the trend is for shorter trees?
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by MANGAM(m): 7:25am On Sep 25, 2015

Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by MANGAM(m): 7:30am On Sep 25, 2015
Yes quite tall, just to spice up the thread. We will soon get u photos from our fields
omonnakoda:
Nice photos. The trees look quite tall. I thought the trend is for shorter trees?
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by omonnakoda: 7:37am On Sep 25, 2015
MANGAM:
Yes quite tall, just to spice up the thread. We will soon get u photos from our fields
I ask because all my knowledge is from internet grin. Still doing research....

Is it now the trend to go for shorter trees
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by Nobody: 7:40am On Sep 25, 2015
MANGAM:

See investment #getting prepared!
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by MANGAM(m): 8:44am On Sep 25, 2015
Is really not easy starting capital wise. My palms are really not doing well due to lack of fund. Am yet to apply fertilizer and only a little portion of the farm was weed.
I promise to upload photos from the farm today.
IHate9ja1:

See investment #getting prepared!
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by omonnakoda: 10:09am On Sep 25, 2015
MANGAM:
Is really not easy starting capital wise. My palms are really not doing well due to lack of fund. Am yet to apply fertilizer and only a little portion of the farm was weed.
Sir can I ask how many trees you have and what is the capital requirement to run 1000 trees removing cost of LAND
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by Nobody: 11:43am On Sep 25, 2015
MANGAM:

Eeyah,I know its capital intensive thus i suggest you get a brush cutter machine sooner for weeding. That said,how much capital would be needed to setup a 2000 tree oil palm
plantation ?
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by MANGAM(m): 3:29pm On Sep 25, 2015
These photos were sent to me by a relative in the village. The palms are not doin good.

Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by Josh121(m): 4:12pm On Sep 25, 2015
MANGAM:
These photos were sent to me by a relative in the village. The palms are not doin good.

How old are your trees ??
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by felixzo1(m): 8:31am On Sep 26, 2015
MANGAM:
.just weed and apply fertilizer. things wil change
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by MANGAM(m): 8:57am On Sep 26, 2015
Thanks for sharing
felixzo1:
.just weed and apply fertilizer. things wil change
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by Nobody: 7:00pm On Sep 26, 2015
MANGAM:
Thanks for sharing
Awwwww,I feel for you. Things would change,just do as felix has said!
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by louis4fem: 11:45pm On Sep 27, 2015
Oil Palm Nursery plants for sale in Bagbe Township Along Ondo - Ore Road, Ondo State.

They are well nurtured and grown to field level.

8 Minutes Drive from Ondo Township
20 Minutes Drive from Ore Junction

It is a 20,000 capacity Nursery.

You can reach me on 08060713408 (Louis) or Oluwaseun on 08148218269 or Boluwaji on 08039427380 or Olufemi on 08035446370

Grant Sage-Farms LTD.

Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by MANGAM(m): 11:57am On Oct 04, 2015
I ve abt 2000 trees. Capital depends on certain factors. Such as location, seedlings, labour, transportation, etc
omonnakoda:

Sir can I ask how many trees you have and what is the capital requirement to run 1000 trees removing cost of LAND
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by MANGAM(m): 12:00pm On Oct 04, 2015
A year old
Josh121:

How old are your trees ??

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (29) (Reply)

500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. / The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) / ...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.