Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,738 members, 7,817,031 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:01 AM

Starting An Oil Palm Plantation - Agriculture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Starting An Oil Palm Plantation (240506 Views)

Aregbesola Interacts With Farmers In Their Cocoa Plantation (pics) / Cost Analysis/How To Setup Plantain Plantation In Nigeria With Pictures / Invest In Oil Palm Plantation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (29) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by henrimoto(m): 8:42pm On Jun 14, 2013
okine4real:

I HAVE SPEND MORE THEM 3.5M AS WE SPECK. THERE IS KNOW WAY I WOULD NOT DO RESEARCH BEFORE GOING INTO IT, BUT THE PROBLEMS IS, I DID NOT KNOW I WAS DEALING WITH FOOLS... I THINK FOOL IS AN UNDERSTATEMENT...JUST DONT KNOW WHAT TO CALL MINE UNCLE RIGHT NOW.. AS AT NOW.. THERE IS FIRE ON THE MOUNTAIN OHH. I WOULD HAVE TO TRAVEL SOON TO IBUSA AND PUT THING IN ORDER. THATS WHY ITS GOOD NEVER LEAVE YOUR BUSINESS IN THE HAND OF NONPROFESSIONAL. I STILL AGREE ANY WAY SO I CANT REALLY PUT THING HERE NOW. HOPE I HAND THE MINE TO DO THAT VERY SOON BECAUSE AS SPECK AM PISSED OFF.

BYE FOR NOW
now i get a beta picture of d whole situation. i understand how u feel . all what u need now is a constant follow on ur oil palm plantation. laise with agro. consultants for more knowledge and advice.. thank God 4 nairaland forum! we even had 2 or more of them on dis thread. just be patience and apply wisdom 2 whats on ground now. most times we learn 4rm mistakes and error.

1 Like

Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by henrimoto(m): 8:43pm On Jun 14, 2013
okine4real:

I HAVE SPEND MORE THEM 3.5M AS WE SPECK. THERE IS KNOW WAY I WOULD NOT DO RESEARCH BEFORE GOING INTO IT, BUT THE PROBLEMS IS, I DID NOT KNOW I WAS DEALING WITH FOOLS... I THINK FOOL IS AN UNDERSTATEMENT...JUST DONT KNOW WHAT TO CALL MINE UNCLE RIGHT NOW.. AS AT NOW.. THERE IS FIRE ON THE MOUNTAIN OHH. I WOULD HAVE TO TRAVEL SOON TO IBUSA AND PUT THING IN ORDER. THATS WHY ITS GOOD NEVER LEAVE YOUR BUSINESS IN THE HAND OF NONPROFESSIONAL. I STILL AGREE ANY WAY SO I CANT REALLY PUT THING HERE NOW. HOPE I HAND THE MINE TO DO THAT VERY SOON BECAUSE AS SPECK AM PISSED OFF.

BYE FOR NOW
now i get a beta picture of d whole situation. i understand how u feel . all what u need now is a constant follow on ur oil palm plantation. laise with agro. consultants for more knowledge and advice.. thank God 4 nairaland forum! we even had 2 or more of them on dis thread. just be patience and apply wisdom 2 whats on ground now. most times we learn 4rm mistakes and error.
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by igbonla(m): 7:45am On Jun 15, 2013
henrimoto: @ igbonla. can u please share d soft copy of ur plantain manual with? it will be of great help to me. ... here is my mail. henrimoto@rocketmail.com thanks!

Will find the link and post here, I am unable to send email to individuals at this time.
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by kunlekunle: 6:21am On Jun 16, 2013
okine4real:

BYE FOR NOW

attend a training session
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by wirinet(m): 7:34am On Jun 16, 2013
okine4real:

BYE FOR NOW

I appreciate the fact thatv as a young man, you have decided to take your destiny into your hands by taking to agriculture instead of waiting for a white collar job or engaging in a get rich quick scheme. I wish more youth imbibe that orientation, Nigeria would indeed be on the way to recovery. Having said that, you are allowing ego and pride to set in, which can destroy you. The fact that you have spent 3.5 million naira does not mean a thing, Big multinational companies with Harvard trained financial gurus make mistakes that cost billions of dollars. You should heed the warnings about your spacings, because of this arguments about spacings, i went to take a look at the palm tree in my uncle's house (we itsekiri's do not joke with our banga soup). He planted one he obtained from the agricultural institute in Ibadan and it is the agric specie. On looking at the lenth of the leaves it cannot be less than 2.5metres long and it is only about 5 years old. I guess that at 8 years, the leaves would not be less than 3m long each, so the spacings should be at least 6m to avoid the leaves touching each other.

Do you even know what 1.5m is? that is less than 5 feet. An average man is over 1.7m. If your are not sure the best thing is to take a tape (it is about N250) and physically measure a matured plant. As pointed out if you make a mistake in the spacings, it would have disasterous consequences on your yield.

I think you should look at the possibility of getting an agricultural loan to expand the business. There are lots of soft loans with low interest rates and long payback time to help the agricultural sector. You need to register your company and join relevant agricultual cooperatives, then approach the relevant agricultural parastatals - both state and federal. The process might be tedious but you can get quite a substantial amount.

4 Likes

Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by okine4real: 10:42am On Jun 17, 2013
wirinet:

I appreciate the fact thatv as a young man, you have decided to take your destiny into your hands by taking to agriculture instead of waiting for a white collar job or engaging in a get rich quick scheme. I wish more youth imbibe that orientation, Nigeria would indeed be on the way to recovery. Having said that, you are allowing ego and pride to set in, which can destroy you. The fact that you have spent 3.5 million naira does not mean a thing, Big multinational companies with Harvard trained financial gurus make mistakes that cost billions of dollars. You should heed the warnings about your spacings, because of this arguments about spacings, i went to take a look at the palm tree in my uncle's house (we itsekiri's do not joke with our banga soup). He planted one he obtained from the agricultural institute in Ibadan and it is the agric specie. On looking at the lenth of the leaves it cannot be less than 2.5metres long and it is only about 5 years old. I guess that at 8 years, the leaves would not be less than 3m long each, so the spacings should be at least 6m to avoid the leaves touching each other.

Do you even know what 1.5m is? that is less than 5 feet. An average man is over 1.7m. If your are not sure the best thing is to take a tape (it is about N250) and physically measure a matured plant. As pointed out if you make a mistake in the spacings, it would have disasterous consequences on your yield.

I think you should look at the possibility of getting an agricultural loan to expand the business. There are lots of soft loans with low interest rates and long payback time to help the agricultural sector. You need to register your company and join relevant agricultual cooperatives, then approach the relevant agricultural parastatals - both state and federal. The process might be tedious but you can get quite a substantial amount.

How am i letting bride and ego set in? I only mentioned 3.5M because of the other guy that said it seems i did not do proper analysis before i starting planting. So i said there is know way i would spend that kind of money without proper analysis, but just that mine analysis was not good enough. Even the said 3.5M is not much. Even cordi spend about 2M on his land alone, if he did survey on the land, then he would be spending almost the same money i have spent. So i guess the money is nothing to people that are into the business, because the money is the same money they have spent too.

Back to the spacing i bleeped up big time.... I called mum to ask her brother that had a small plantation how much spacing he used. mum said he said 3Meter. But because the whole wahala was too much here, when everybody was saying my spacing was small, i had to call mine uncle mine self... Behold mine uncle said he used 30 feet which is equal to 9 meter. Well there was nothing to do that start afresh. I think felix01 said he used 6 Meter... well as far as i know, he would be in little trouble in 20 years from now. Mine Uncle used 9 meter spacing and as far back as 2007, the leaves where torching each other, my uncles palms where planted in 1974. So what am saying is, a palm leave is about 4.5 Meter long when its about 30 years old. I made a big mistake big time.... But trying to make amends and the only way to make amends is if i can get lands for 40k per plot in the east.. Because palm business are not suppose to be planted on expensive lands.

Would still update here later... I have not put update here because am still nursing mine injury.

Regards

7 Likes

Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by integrityfood: 4:30pm On Jun 17, 2013
henrimoto: comunities dat 're off good roads, and they re a little bit off major roads. comunities dat looks as if there's no serious development going on there. u will even get an acre for 85-90k. take a good luk @ igbesa. b4 now, comunities around dat place do give away their lands 4 little or nothing. go to dose areas now,it's somthing else. there 're places in ogbomoso, oyo state. where can get acres of land very very cheap. say 75-80k.

am interested if this price is real. pls my email is integrityfood@gmail.com. i will like to meet with u and start the purchase of the land as am interested in the oil palm business. or call 08135044012
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by kunlekunle: 6:22am On Jun 19, 2013
integrityfood:

am interested if this price is real. pls my email is integrityfood@gmail.com. i will like to meet with u and start the purchase of the land as am interested in the oil palm business. or call 08135044012

please guys is it advisable to start the nursery or go for the one and half year old plant.
whats the current price of the seeds.
thanks
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by okine4real: 10:01am On Jun 19, 2013
Starting the nursery your self is time consuming but money saving. So the choice is yours. But i prefer buying the nursery from NIFOR. Also note that if you really want to make money from this business, start with at least 2000 palms. Also note that, the money you are spending does not comprise of the land and oil palm nursery alone. after that, you need to get at least two plots of land, then you would fence it, then you build and also get machines for your milling factory. Depending on how you minimize your money, the factory building and machine would cost you nothing less than 6M i guess. So be prepared if you really want to go into these business, am saying it so that, if you get your mind set to it, your feet would not be moved if big challenge sets in.

Regards

3 Likes

Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by kunlekunle: 11:36am On Jun 19, 2013
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by kunlekunle: 11:39am On Jun 19, 2013
felixzo1:
when i was doing my research on how i carry out an oil palm plantation, i read a lot of materials i found online, watch a lot of videos and visited some plantations to see things for my self. some-people just sit and want everything to be handed to them free.sorry for computer farmers

Are you based in SW,
where in SW can i get the seedlings
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by okine4real: 4:18pm On Jun 19, 2013
I need advice here now.. Am actually looking at buying lands in ibadan. I know they sell for 80k per acre, some people sell lower why some sell higher. Now the first thing is, are these lands for real? Looking at a situation where by some family might come years later start claiming the land. Also if i plant oil palms using 9 meter spacing, can i plant plantain in between? also how many should i plant considering the spacing?
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by Fhemmmy: 4:26pm On Jun 19, 2013
okine4real: I need advice here now.. Am actually looking at buying lands in ibadan. I know they sell for 80k per acre, some people sell lower why some sell higher. Now the first thing is, are these lands for real? Looking at a situation where by some family might come years later start claiming the land. Also if i plant oil palms using 9 meter spacing, can i plant plantain in between? also how many should i plant considering the spacing?

I am subscribing to this question and will be back to learn from the answers . . .
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by bewaje: 9:44am On Jun 21, 2013
Dis is d international required spacing

1 Like

Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by kunlekunle: 9:58am On Jun 21, 2013
bewaje: Dis is d international required spacing

mba. no be true
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by bewaje: 10:11am On Jun 21, 2013
International quotation...thank me later. cool

Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by bewaje: 10:23am On Jun 21, 2013
The spacing is 4.5metre & it should be in a triangle shape each side should be 4.5m..4.56meter=14.76feet. Don't let ur greed destroy ur business. As we humans breath so does plant too.

1 Like

Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by kunlekunle: 1:06pm On Jun 21, 2013
bewaje: The spacing is 4.5metre & it should be in a triangle shape each side should be 4.5m..4.56meter=14.76feet. Don't let ur greed destroy ur business. As we humans breath so does plant too.

you have refused to go through this thread, i bet your DIY will make you regret.
you need a bigger space to breath.
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by Zemhen1: 6:38pm On Jun 21, 2013
henrimoto: @ okine4real, congratulations to u in advance! u ve just created ur own money- tree 4 d next 35-40 yrs to come. d beginning is always difficult and challenging but d result is always rewarding. i like ur courage and kindnes to share ur experience with felow nairalanders.

Hello friends, I have read through I just have to say am interested, I am leaving for my masters soon but myself and I are working on a starting a plantain plantation , but he has started already and I will join him when I get back.......is there anywhere within Lagos I can get the Manual for oil production...... If there is a scan copy with any body here, I will appreciate you to forward it to osakess247@gmail.com.
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by okine4real: 8:59pm On Jun 21, 2013
bewaje: The spacing is 4.5metre & it should be in a triangle shape each side should be 4.5m..4.56meter=14.76feet. Don't let ur greed destroy ur business. As we humans breath so does plant too.

Guy, let me be frank with you, if you use 4.5 meter, you would cry in the future. I started these thread remember. when i wanted to plant, i was busy so i asked mine mum to do the whole stuff for me, she used 8.7 feet, it was a mistake any away. she was suppose to use 3 meter spacing. Now Am talking practically now, am not saying things that i read. Mine Uncle has a plantation of 150 to 200 palms i guess. He planted the palms in 1974. In the plantation, The leaves are torching other from the top. That means the leave of palm A and the leave of palm B is torching each other in the sky. Mine uncle used 9 Meter spacing triangular. I was thinking 3 meter spacing before was correct because i head mine mum saying mine uncle used 3 meter spacing, But when i called mine mine self, the old man said he used 9 meter. Now what made me called him, if you notice on these thread, everybody was saying mine spacing was wrong, there is know way everybody would be wrong and i would be the person been right, instead i was wrong why everybody here was right, but just that i figured it out late. Mine friend, i have seen a palm of 38 years old and i can authoritatively tell you that, at that age the leaves would have form what they call CANOPY. So if your spacing is not right, your palm leaves would not only be torching each other, rather they would be hugging each other. I can only advice you to use 6 meter spacing only if you know that at 20 years or 30 years maximum you would cut the palms down and replant.

Regards

4 Likes

Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by bewaje: 9:14pm On Jun 21, 2013
The problem is that you guys don't really know what 9metre will give u if its converted to feet 9metre=29.53feet...mehn dat ridiculous nw. Pls don't use 9metres o. 4.5m is better pls. @ least 4.5m=14.76feet wide pls.
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by okine4real: 9:44pm On Jun 21, 2013
bewaje: The problem is that you guys don't really know what 9metre will give u if its converted to feet 9metre=29.53feet...mehn dat ridiculous nw. Pls don't use 9metres o. 4.5m is better pls. @ least 4.5m=14.76feet wide pls.

You make me laugh, Mine question for you is, have you seen a 35 years old tree before? If not go and do your measurement. Am talking talking from what i read now ohh, Am talking from what i have seen face to face. 4.5 meter guy forget it, you would cry. you can use 20 feet, but you would have to get it down when its like 20 years, but your yield would be reduced. The started way is 9 meter triangular.

1 Like

Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by integrityfood: 1:07pm On Jun 24, 2013
is there a loan for a long term agric business like oil palm?? how much is the ceiling and who is eligible? what is the interest rate and duration possible??
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by integrityfood: 1:09pm On Jun 24, 2013
wirinet:

Pls more infor/details on the agric soft loan that is meant for long term agric business like this?
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by integrityfood: 1:10pm On Jun 24, 2013
Pls can anyone in the house brief on the market for oil palm products?? is there market here in Nigeria or export opportunities exist??
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by OmerianConsult: 1:39pm On Jun 24, 2013
We have an oil palm plantation for sale/lease in Ota. lt runs into several hectares. There is also ample cheap land at Ado, near Ota and Agbara Lagos for you to establish any type of biz.
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by Fhemmmy: 2:30pm On Jun 24, 2013
Omerian Consult: We have an oil palm plantation for sale/lease in Ota. lt runs into several hectares. There is also ample cheap land at Ado, near Ota and Agbara Lagos for you to establish any type of biz.

What is your price and give us detail info?
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by Realdeals(m): 2:35pm On Jun 24, 2013
Join the Agriculture community at www. where you'll discuss and share ideas with other farmers and agriculture expert around the world.
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by Fhemmmy: 2:36pm On Jun 24, 2013
Realdeals: Join the Agriculture community at www. where you'll discuss and share ideas with other farmers and agriculture expert around the world.

Nice one . . See you there
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by kunlekunle: 3:31am On Jun 27, 2013
okine4real:

You make me laugh, Mine question for you is, have you seen a 35 years old tree before? If not go and do your measurement. Am talking talking from what i read now ohh, Am talking from what i have seen face to face. 4.5 meter guy forget it, you would cry. you can use 20 feet, but you would have to get it down when its like 20 years, but your yield would be reduced. The started way is 9 meter triangular.

wetin dey happen on your farm now?
has it been adjusted?
share the experience.
Re: Starting An Oil Palm Plantation by okine4real: 8:48am On Jun 27, 2013
i dont want to talk now so that some people would not say am forming say i have money. But the truth is i have not adjusted the palms because from mine calculation am suppose to have between 150 to 200 palms on that farm. If i have 200 palms, that means when the palms are around 5 to 7 years i would be making like 400k per year for just oil only. But am not interested in that kind of money because considering the stress, the money is way too small for me. The minimum am looking at is 3000 palms. with that, then i know i would make money. I can do the palms in mine village because lands are way too expensive in mine village. Imagine i bought 13 plots at the rate of 200k each, did survey for about almost 300k or 400k i cant remember now, clearing cost me almost 110k. So if am to have 3000 palms i need to buy 50 acres, if i buy that kind land for mine villa, I think i might Die self because i dont have that kind of money. But The West is the best place to do these kind of business. With 4M you can secure yourself 50 Acres in Ibadan ares. That was why i asked a question here some days back, that does people selling 1 acre of land in oyo or Ibadan for 50k to 80k how real is it. Although i have seen lots around Ibadan for 80k per acre but, the westerns are known for one thing, they would always find a way to collect the lands back or another family would come and say they are the real owners of the land, and if you are not strong either physically, spiritually etc, you would either lose the land or you lose your life along with it. Am not talking from what i have read, am talking from what i have seen, it even happened to my Oga in Ikeja self. So am still thinking on what to do next. But if you a Yoruba Guy, you speck the language very well, and you are sure that, you can get real genuine land without another family coming to disturb you in the future, please go and buy the land. But remember, palm business is not for the poor, if you c=dont have cash on ground, you would not succeed or the rate at which you would succeed with slow down. Imagine you buying land for about 4.5M, do survey for about 500. plant for about 300k, clear the ground for about 400. but seedling. then you start buying your factory..... You see, its an expensive business, but if you can start it, Go ahead

Regards

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (29) (Reply)

500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. / The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) / ...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.