Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,744 members, 7,817,056 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:36 AM

Unending Delays On Shipments With Grimaldi - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Unending Delays On Shipments With Grimaldi (34925 Views)

***Grimaldi, AES Or Hoegh: Which Is Faster? Which Is Safer?*** / Acl/grimaldi Schedules / Help, My Eod Is Delays In Changing Gear (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Unending Delays On Shipments With Grimaldi by Fhemmmy: 3:34pm On Jul 17, 2013
femmy2010:

You said it all my bruva.
The agent gets valuation,pays the approved duty,do physical examination with customs,get it approved for delivery and you are set to paint the street of Lagos red with your new aquisition.
Thanks

I think there are some fees that you left out here and did not tell us about, cos i have always wonder how the agent does it, you see how much they pay for the value of the ride and yet you are charged this crazy cost.
Re: Unending Delays On Shipments With Grimaldi by samir101ng(m): 4:28pm On Jul 17, 2013
Fhemmmy:

I think there are some fees that you left out here and did not tell us about, cos i have always wonder how the agent does it, you see how much they pay for the value of the ride and yet you are charged this crazy cost.

Very good observation. Tell your clients all the payments involved both official and non-official. Specify your commission and negotiate if possible. If both parties agree to it, a deal is struck. Hiding certain fees or charges reeks of exploitation and shadiness to me.
Re: Unending Delays On Shipments With Grimaldi by erico2k2(m): 7:25pm On Jul 17, 2013
Peacefullife: Thanks Bizbooks. I trust you would respond.

But I hear that other shipping lines like 5 star, sallaum group stop in other african countries before coming to Nigeria, and that at the port of those countries, vehicles are mostly vandalized and things stolen from the vehicle. This I learnt does not happen on grimaldi. Have you had such an experience on sallaum? Also, from your experience, how long do you think it would take a vehicle to get to Naija if given to Sallaum tomorrow Monday?
They all do same, even Grimaldi
Re: Unending Delays On Shipments With Grimaldi by erico2k2(m): 7:36pm On Jul 17, 2013
BizBooks: @Calculusx,

When I said that cars arriving on Grimaldi vessels are moved from the Port to their terminal,
you labelled it as false. In the same breath, you said:

That sounds like you are contradicting yourself. Also, when I said that some agents now
intercept their cars at the Port to prevent Grimaldi from moving them to their terminal,
you labelled it as false. What are you talking about? I have known about this practice
for at least 2 years. Currently, I have a car arriving on Grimaldi. The owner calls me
every week to remind me to send the Bill of Lading to him as soon as it is available so
his agent will "step the car down" once it arrives Tin Can.

I can't understand how you can label my statements as false without having the facts to
back up your claim.

P.S: As I mentioned previously, I do not use Grimaldi. I only use them when a client
specifically requests them as happened in this instance.
the watch word is, get ur Bill of Laden ASAP to ur clearing agent via DHL so he has it in hand b4 the vessel arrives, that's what I do
Re: Unending Delays On Shipments With Grimaldi by erico2k2(m): 7:55pm On Jul 17, 2013
Wsdmenpp: Well folks,

I think everyone should do their investigations and choose what's comfortable for them, first, the company I bought the car from, charged me a $130 for what they call documentation before the car was released, that meant that my car had no customs issues at the NJ ports. Normally, all things been equal, your vehicle should spend 7 days at the ports for customs clearing and thereafter be ready for the next available vessel. There are at least 3 vessels to Lagos from Nj ports monthly, one is direct and two via other ports in Africa . Most times the delay is caused by customs clearing and not Grimaldi . Here's where the issues arise, most cars bought from auctions are sent to the ports directly without any proper documentation hence that must be done before customs will release your vehicle to Grimaldii or any other shipping company. Customs clearance sometimes can be an issue not the shipping line.

Secondly , I used a Ghanian shipper in New Jersey, I wasn't ready for too many Nigerians making all sorts of claims and can't deliver at the end. virtually all Nigerians in Nj are either agents or shippers and all these affects your cost ultimately. I spent exactly $1047 to ship a Range Rover to Lagos and another 550,000 Naira for clearing.

I also bought the vehicle directly myself no agent or any third party, I made my investigations, paid through my bank and all went well, Got my vehicle at a very good deal and vehicle is very clean and what you will call Grade 1 Belgium.

I hope this long story will not be misconstrued but to she'd more light that you can do a lot by yourself and be in control of your business and accept what ever happens there after.

God will guide and give you all wisdom in all you do
Shalom
Nice write up, dunno why people do Auctions, its loads of time wasting though you might get a cheap deal but hey do you have time to check the true conditions of the car?

2 Likes

Re: Unending Delays On Shipments With Grimaldi by femmy2010(m): 7:43am On Jul 18, 2013
Fhemmmy:

Some payments are better not explained on A public forum or one would get customs enforcement unit knocking on ones door.
Sure you get the hidden truth.
Re: Unending Delays On Shipments With Grimaldi by samir101ng(m): 9:42am On Jul 18, 2013
femmy2010:

Some payments are better not explained on A public forum or one would get customs enforcement unit knocking on ones door.

Am not sure i do, please. We are talking about LEGAL fees/charges as recognized under the law. As a law abiding citizen, you have a right to know the applicable charges that you must pay to clear your vehicles. If there are other "payments" that you do to "smooth" the process then that's a different matter entirely. But we are talking about approved charges by the Nigeria Customs Service. Why hide them ? The lack of explanation of this charges is why most car owners feel cheated by the clearing agents.
Re: Unending Delays On Shipments With Grimaldi by Fhemmmy: 3:15pm On Jul 18, 2013
femmy2010:

Noted and case closed . . . Thanks
Re: Unending Delays On Shipments With Grimaldi by osmoses(m): 6:53pm On Aug 09, 2013
I have been using AES over 2 years. Never had any issue.
calculusx:

[size=14pt]OP: If you must use grimaldi, you must exercise lots of patience but at the end it worth the wait. Grimaldi not only delay shipping to Nigeria,they now experience delay transferring cars from tin-can terminal with smaller vessel to their mile2 Terminal which is partly under renovation. They also have network issues, which i believe is temporary. I was there today and saw some white expertrates upgrading their server. Due to the stress and inconveniencies agents went through,an asthmatic agent died there last week before he could be rushed to hospital.

I have used Sallum and AES in the past and have vouched never to use them again. 95% of all the cars iv shipped tru them were vandalized. I can tell you parts that will be stolen from your car depending on the make and model. Will look for pictures to support my claim. There was a time all the 4speakers (doors and trunk) were removed from 05 accord,  didnt noticed it until when a potential buyer came.

If you can exercise patience with your shipment use Grimaldi and if you cant ,use Sallum or AES but be prepared to buy stolen parts from as low as 10k and above. My one cent
[/size]
Re: Unending Delays On Shipments With Grimaldi by cretin: 12:07pm On Sep 03, 2013
APART FROM Grimaldi...what other shipping line would you recommend from nj/md axis?
i learnt grimaldi has a terminal at tincan...thus making it easier to do biz with them......do u have any idea if aes/hoegh have a terminal in tincan?

i shipped a vehicle via container tru hanjin...it arrived last month but due to congestion...am yet to clear the container/vehicle...more than 10 days since the ship berthed
Re: Unending Delays On Shipments With Grimaldi by bellong: 1:57pm On Sep 03, 2013
^^^ You can use Sallaum or ACC.
Re: Unending Delays On Shipments With Grimaldi by Emperoh(m): 3:03pm On Sep 03, 2013
bellong: ^^^ You can use Sallaum or ACC.

ACC ke? Which one be ACC again?
Re: Unending Delays On Shipments With Grimaldi by bellong: 5:24pm On Sep 03, 2013
Emperoh:

ACC ke? Which one be ACC again?

Yes, there is ACC shipping line
Re: Unending Delays On Shipments With Grimaldi by infolpf: 5:13am On Sep 04, 2013
erico2k2:
Nice write up, dunno why people do Auctions, its loads of time wasting though you might get a cheap deal but hey do you have time to check the true conditions of the car?

Yes you do get an inspection, it depends on the auction house. Manheim, the largest auctioneers, have an in-house inspection service that I find invaluable. After a bid is won, you can ask for an inspection, which is usually done within 24 hours. Where the car fails inspection, you may reject the vehicle. Well worth the nominal fee.
Re: Unending Delays On Shipments With Grimaldi by Lushgreen: 9:52am On Sep 07, 2013
Hello House,

Please any idea when Grimaldi's Grande Morocco would arrive Lagos? According to my agent, the vessel left New York on August 9th but I am yet to receive any shipping doc from him.

Please help.

1 Like

Re: Unending Delays On Shipments With Grimaldi by calculusx(m): 1:30pm On Sep 08, 2013
Lushgreen: Hello House,

Please any idea when Grimaldi's Grande Morocco would arrive Lagos? According to my agent, the vessel left New York on August 9th but I am yet to receive any shipping doc from him.

Please help.

Grande Marocco left NY 2 days ago to arrive Lagos 22nd of this Month.
Re: Unending Delays On Shipments With Grimaldi by Lushgreen: 1:41pm On Sep 10, 2013
calculusx:

Grande Marocco left NY 2 days ago to arrive Lagos 22nd of this Month.

Thanks
Re: Unending Delays On Shipments With Grimaldi by nairaspace: 7:09pm On Sep 13, 2013
Quick question,

I am new to this stuff. I am sending a car to my Dad, when shipping, do i use his name as the reciever or an agents name.

Quick response would be appreciated.
Re: Unending Delays On Shipments With Grimaldi by Fhemmmy: 7:10pm On Sep 13, 2013
nairaspace: Quick question,

I am new to this stuff. I am sending a car to my Dad, when shipping, do i use his name as the reciever or an agents name.

Quick response would be appreciated.

Your Dad
Re: Unending Delays On Shipments With Grimaldi by nairaspace: 8:17pm On Sep 13, 2013
Fhemmmy:

Your Dad

Thanks...You're appreciated!
Re: Unending Delays On Shipments With Grimaldi by GreatmanG(m): 3:55pm On Sep 14, 2013
Honorable members,

I need urgent help! I bought an item in California online for more than 6 months and cannot get and Nigerian freight forwarder to pick it and ship for me. By the way, is there any port in California that the truck can be shipped from? I live in Nigeria and I need help.
Re: Unending Delays On Shipments With Grimaldi by bellong: 4:18pm On Sep 14, 2013
GreatmanG: Honorable members,

I need urgent help! I bought an item in California online for more than 6 months and cannot get and Nigerian freight forwarder to pick it and ship for me. By the way, is there any port in California that the truck can be shipped from? I live in Nigeria and I need help.

When next you want to do something of this nature, you will have to do adequate research before venturing into it. California is in the west coast and it is difficult shipping from west coast to west Africa. However, there are ports in Oakland and Los Angeles. I don't know where your truck is located in California to know the port to advise.

Note, California law does not permit Ro-RO shipping from her port, you will have to use a container.
Re: Unending Delays On Shipments With Grimaldi by Emperoh(m): 10:34pm On Sep 14, 2013
GreatmanG: Honorable members,

The closest you can do is Galveston Texas.
But trucking will cost you no less than $900.

I can handle it for you if you want including shipping.
Get in touch through the email on my signature.
Re: Unending Delays On Shipments With Grimaldi by Fhemmmy: 2:08am On Sep 15, 2013
Emperoh:

Chairman, from what the gentleman is talking about, he is tallking of trucking, but you are not sure if it is a Truck or it is a car . . . I will advice you ask him more question to be sure of what exactly he has there to be shipped, cos if it is a Truck, he will pay arms and the leg to Truck it down to Texas.
Re: Unending Delays On Shipments With Grimaldi by GreatmanG(m): 4:27pm On Sep 15, 2013
Emperoh:

Emperoh,

Thank you and other honorable members. The vehicle is a dump truck...it is located at Perris, California 92570. If you can handle it please let me know. Send me mail at odihegreat@gmail.com.
Re: Unending Delays On Shipments With Grimaldi by Emperoh(m): 6:00pm On Sep 15, 2013
GreatmanG:

Emperoh,

Thank you and other honorable members. The vehicle is a dump truck...it is located at Perris, California 92570. If you can handle it please let me know. Send me mail at odihegreat@gmail.com.

Sent you a mail.
Re: Unending Delays On Shipments With Grimaldi by Emperoh(m): 6:00pm On Sep 15, 2013
Fhemmmy:

Chairman, from what the gentleman is talking about, he is tallking of trucking, but you are not sure if it is a Truck or it is a car . . . I will advice you ask him more question to be sure of what exactly he has there to be shipped, cos if it is a Truck, he will pay arms and the leg to Truck it down to Texas.

You are so right.
I will look at the variables and see if it's something i can handle.
If not, i will hands off.
Re: Unending Delays On Shipments With Grimaldi by erico2k2(m): 9:09am On Sep 16, 2013
Fhemmmy:

Your Dad
His Dad dont have a Tin number and that would incure more cost, what do you recon?
Re: Unending Delays On Shipments With Grimaldi by femmy2010(m): 9:26am On Sep 16, 2013
erico2k2:
His Dad dont have a Tin number and that would incure more cost, what do you recon?

He should walk into any FIRS office and get the TIN .
Re: Unending Delays On Shipments With Grimaldi by Fhemmmy: 4:01pm On Sep 16, 2013
Emperoh:

You are so right.
I will look at the variables and see if it's something i can handle.
If not, i will hands off.

Good one, if you need any assistance to be of help to him, lemme know, will be glad to be

erico2k2:

Better for him to pay the money for that and ave it on his Dad's name, cos whoever has the BOL could clear the ride - better to pay the cost of the TIN than to lose the car.

femmy2010:

He should walk into any FIRS office and get the TIN .

I agree with you on that.
Re: Unending Delays On Shipments With Grimaldi by nairaspace: 3:44pm On Sep 18, 2013
Do i send the original title with the trucking company delivering at the port?
Re: Unending Delays On Shipments With Grimaldi by Fhemmmy: 5:30pm On Sep 18, 2013
nairaspace: Do i send the original title with the trucking company delivering at the port?

I will advice you use someone that knows what they are doing before you make a mess of all these, i thought Chairman Emperor offered to assist you, might be at a fee, but i think that is better than you made a mess of this, Just my 2 cent oh

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Femi Otedola To Sell His Forte Oil Shares / The Burning Of The Demolished Oshodi Market In Lagos State Nigeria - Photos / Zenith Bank Commissions Christmas Lighting Decoration In Victoria Island - Pics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.