Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,728 members, 7,816,992 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:25 PM

Tips To Becoming A Great Single Mum - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Tips To Becoming A Great Single Mum (13121 Views)

Why Is It A Challenge For Single Mum's To Get Married? / Is It Crazy To Have The Urge To Want To Be A Single Mum? / Am A Single Mum About To Get Married To A Divorcee (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tips To Becoming A Great Single Mum by Nobody: 5:55pm On Jun 12, 2013
Originalsly: Hmmm...is this how you redeem yourself from the mistake of being a baby momma? Being a single parent is not something to be proud of.Parents should be role models to their children...don't you think? Why find other people to be role models? This is confirming that you yourself believe you are not a good enough parent for your child. So why advise others? If your child is a boy growing up under all your female role models how will he grow up to be a man? Is this not setting the foundation for him to be one of those hmmm...effeminate men? Then making time for yourself by dumping your child off at whoever...is that not typical baby momma mentality? Why would you be surprised if your child follows in your footsteps? We have to be careful of people like you who seek to dilute then destroy African family values.

Yes, we made mistakes as teens and got pregnant. Crucify us!

Seriously, the sillines of a whole shitload of peeps on here appalls me to no end. Who's talking morality?

If anyone thinks they're super duper holy because they're raising their kids in the confines of a marriage, and they're better than everyone else, they should have their heads checked.

Some single mothers didn't become so by being promiscous. Get enlightened.

And for a continent with such a high premium on 'values', we can see what your values have bought you.

Some of us are doing a fine job of parenting already, and when we get wifed by lovely husbands, we'll see what's so 'royal' about you.

Oshi.

9 Likes

Re: Tips To Becoming A Great Single Mum by Policewoman(f): 5:56pm On Jun 12, 2013
Originalsly: Hmmm...is this how you redeem yourself from the mistake of being a baby momma? Being a single parent is not something to be proud of.Parents should be role models to their children...don't you think? Why find other people to be role models? This is confirming that you yourself believe you are not a good enough parent for your child. So why advise others? If your child is a boy growing up under all your female role models how will he grow up to be a man? Is this not setting the foundation for him to be one of those hmmm...effeminate men? Then making time for yourself by dumping your child off at whoever...is that not typical baby momma mentality? Why would you be surprised if your child follows in your footsteps? We have to be careful of people like you who seek to dilute then destroy African family values.
That is exactly what i have against single parenting. When you raise a boy like a woman, without a father figure, why won't he start having feelings for the same sex?
Re: Tips To Becoming A Great Single Mum by Ewabeads(f): 5:57pm On Jun 12, 2013
Please is single mom something to be proud of or what, cos I don't understand this thread.
Re: Tips To Becoming A Great Single Mum by supaeagles(m): 5:58pm On Jun 12, 2013
sometimes a single parent is better than two (bad) parents or one good and one bad parent! Besides, there will always be extended family, grandparents etc giving support. Our society is known for that.

1 Like

Re: Tips To Becoming A Great Single Mum by supaeagles(m): 6:00pm On Jun 12, 2013
Policewoman: That is exactly what i have against single parenting. When you raise a boy like a woman, without a father figure, why won't he start having feelings for the same sex?
interesting... is that what you learned in police school ??... apart from learning how to collect money at check point grin

3 Likes

Re: Tips To Becoming A Great Single Mum by slimyem: 6:02pm On Jun 12, 2013
anitank:
u're one of the most intelligent people on NL i know
smiley
Policewoman: We know how these things start. Our daughters will begin copying the oyibo in ditching marriage and rooting for single parenthood which is unhealthy for a child's raising. However i do not hold anything against those who became single parents for reasons not of their own fault. For these people i hold no grudge.
..the circumstances surrounding their status is not the point here. Whether they ditched their marriages intentionally,lost their husbands,got pregnant for some guy who won't take responsibilty or some other reason,they are still called the same thing-"Single mothers" and this thread is not about judging them or their decisions.

1 Like

Re: Tips To Becoming A Great Single Mum by Nobody: 6:04pm On Jun 12, 2013
Ewa beads: Please is single mom something to be proud of or what, cos I don't understand this thread.

No! Its not. But we won't just drop off the earth's surface or fly into space because your tickled or irked. We're extant, but will one day be extinct. Live/deal with it

5 Likes

Re: Tips To Becoming A Great Single Mum by mediainspired: 6:06pm On Jun 12, 2013
It's ironically, but among young ladies I kind of find the single mums more mature, caring and perceptive - key elements lacking in most single ladies. Interestingly, 50% of the single ladies and brides have committed abortions to cover up societal 'stain.' The other category of marriageable single ladies are those with genuine fear of God (not necessarily the ones that are 'workers' in some social churches & 'know-me-I-know-u' or 'paddy-paddy' clique churches like R**G ooo). Just my honest opinion. I don't talk much, but when I do I could somewhat be too blunt for comfort. Lol.
Re: Tips To Becoming A Great Single Mum by Rastamann: 6:09pm On Jun 12, 2013
When God was creating man, he never created man to be a single parents, so why go against the wish of God, except where one's spouse is dead?
Re: Tips To Becoming A Great Single Mum by Sike(m): 6:33pm On Jun 12, 2013
Single my foot!
Re: Tips To Becoming A Great Single Mum by echivee: 6:35pm On Jun 12, 2013
You have said it all. We really have to be careful of people whose messages are at variance with our religious and traditional family values.
Re: Tips To Becoming A Great Single Mum by Bluediamond1(f): 6:36pm On Jun 12, 2013
anitank:
u're one of the most intelligent people on NL i know
Re: Tips To Becoming A Great Single Mum by supaeagles(m): 6:36pm On Jun 12, 2013
Rastamann: When God was creating man, he never created man to be a single parents, so why go against the wish of God, except where one's spouse is dead?
I am not sure this is the right thread for that kind of argument after all people can then argue that the human race evolved (scientifically backed) and were not created (which is a spiritual belief).
Re: Tips To Becoming A Great Single Mum by obinnakenedo(m): 6:36pm On Jun 12, 2013
anitank:
some of us are not single mums by choice. Death happens u know? try thinking before talking or typing

and yeah, its something to be proud of because being a mum proves that u're a real woman

Don't spoil my mood this evening
keep ur article and dont forget ur mood while at it. One more thing, ensure that ur girls recite it too. WTF!
Re: Tips To Becoming A Great Single Mum by youngalex(m): 6:49pm On Jun 12, 2013
;DWell,Single mum can be expanded to include widows..that's where I belong I was raised by a woman but ve got the masculine orientation and mindset from uncles and cousins...Single mums shul expand the horison of their children by taking them to strict uncles/cousins who will instill discipline on them esp. The males
Re: Tips To Becoming A Great Single Mum by Nobody: 7:06pm On Jun 12, 2013
supaeagles:
interesting... is that what you learned in police school ??... apart from learning how to collect money at check point grin

Rotfl!!!

I'm still in shock from that post to be honest. So people truly believe single motherhood leads to homosexuality? Wow!

5 Likes

Re: Tips To Becoming A Great Single Mum by damiso(f): 7:09pm On Jun 12, 2013
Geeez.Nigerians can be judgemental.Gosh
Re: Tips To Becoming A Great Single Mum by Nobody: 7:16pm On Jun 12, 2013
So the thinking by some people is that women will read the OP's post and rush out in droves to go and get impregnated out of wedlock right?

NL! Always good for the lulz...
Re: Tips To Becoming A Great Single Mum by Nobody: 7:19pm On Jun 12, 2013
lovelydoll:

you should ask the samething when you fornicate.

also who are you to tell a person they cannot be close to God.are you God himself . most are single because of drunkard ,useless ,abusive men ,who just don't care and end up walking away.

I mean I get your point...but the statement in red is very irrelevant to what I said earlier.
Except a woman plans to remarry or practice abstinence undecided, how can she be a single mum and BE CLOSE TO GOD as OP suggested?
Re: Tips To Becoming A Great Single Mum by lovelydoll: 7:30pm On Jun 12, 2013
ekwah:

I mean I get your point...but the statement in red is very irrelevant to what I said earlier.
Except a woman plans to remarry or practice abstinence undecided, how can she be a single mum and BE CLOSE TO GOD as OP suggested?

Again you are not God to tell someone they cannot be close to God because they are a SINGLE mother.

the other stuff is up to them.
Re: Tips To Becoming A Great Single Mum by Nobody: 7:38pm On Jun 12, 2013
lovelydoll:

Again you are not God to tell someone they cannot be close to God because they are a SINGLE mother.

the other stuff is up to them.

All I did was just state the fact the way it is. Who am I to play God?
A = Being a single mum
b = Being close to God
A and B => abstinence from sex unless one is re-married - a thing that's obviously almost impossible!!

OP's suggestion of they 'being close to God' doesn't sound practical to me at all for very obvious reasons. You didn't answer my question.

Shout out to all them single mums though, dem strong.
Re: Tips To Becoming A Great Single Mum by phineas: 7:44pm On Jun 12, 2013
damiso: Geeez.Nigerians can be judgemental.Gosh

My sentiments exactly, judgemental hypocrites that's what the majority of nigerians are.

Whether a woman decides to raise her family alone or with a man,its really nobody's bussiness to label her good or bad.Its her life and her choice which must be respected.

Truth is most Nigerian families leave the responsibility of raising kids solely with the mothers,so a lot of "married" homes actually raise single parent kids add that to the outrageous runaway/absentee dads in Nigeria courtsey of multiple wife scenario,parents living in two diff cities,men shirking their responsibilities etc amongst others,then u see the truth is in Africa,the woman raises the kids.

The single mother should be encouraged to do a good job,strengthened and helped by others when possible not condemmed.

2 Likes

Re: Tips To Becoming A Great Single Mum by remioshy(f): 7:46pm On Jun 12, 2013
Single mum is something you can be proud of if you find yourself in such situation and you raise your child/children well, I happened to find myself in such and never in my wildest dream do I want such, but I was determined to make the best of my situation, I got pregnant in the university but before I could do anything to it , my mother became aware and she refused to let me terminate, my so called boyfriend was willing to accept and get married after my university education, I do love him but I was concerned because he was abusive, while pregnant and after delivery , any love I had for him was beaten out of me, I had to run for my dear life , it was then I made my mother aware of years of abuse and i continued in it because of my child, that if I leave him , who will marry after one, but when I landed in hospital because of the beating, I knew it was time to call it a day, and I vowed that if he remains the only man alive, I rather choose to be single, 20 years after this year , I am yet to sent my eyes on him, he never bothered , I was a single parent for many years and with Gods help and my mum I did my best,
The irony of the whole saga is that child then is the only tooth in my mouth now. Sometimes being a single parent is a blessing in disguise, I won't criticise someone who find themself in such

6 Likes

Re: Tips To Becoming A Great Single Mum by InvertedHammer: 8:27pm On Jun 12, 2013
9jamum: What’s the single most difficult aspect of single parenting? I know, we all have our different answers as the individual challenges differs from state to state and country to country. I complete agree with the fact that a role meant for two mates now belongs to an individual is enough to break one down with enough stress to last a life time....blablablabla....
1.Maintain a relationship with God.
2. Seek out role models:
3. Find a work schedule that suits your life style and family.
4. Do not freak out over things beyond your control –
5. Do make out a ‘me – time”.
6. Be yourself.
Finally, this tend to reduce or completely take the pressure off you whilst spending more quality time with your child (ren).

www.singlenaijamum.com
/

Where did this cretin crawl out from?

How to be a good single mom? Keep your freaking legs closed.

//
Re: Tips To Becoming A Great Single Mum by 9jamum(f): 8:30pm On Jun 12, 2013
remioshy: Single mum is something you can be proud of if you find yourself in such situation and you raise your child/children well, I happened to find myself in such and never in my wildest dream do I want such, but I was determined to make the best of my situation, I got pregnant in the university but before I could do anything to it , my mother became aware and she refused to let me terminate, my so called boyfriend was willing to accept and get married after my university education, I do love him but I was concerned because he was abusive, while pregnant and after delivery , any love I had for him was beaten out of me, I had to run for my dear life , it was then I made my mother aware of years of abuse and i continued in it because of my child, that if I leave him , who will marry after one, but when I landed in hospital because of the beating, I knew it was time to call it a day, and I vowed that if he remains the only man alive, I rather choose to be single, 20 years after this year , I am yet to sent my eyes on him, he never bothered , I was a single parent for many years and with Gods help and my mum I did my best,
The irony of the whole saga is that child then is the only tooth in my mouth now. Sometimes being a single parent is a blessing in disguise, I won't criticise someone who find themself in such

I appreciate you. Thank you for sharing your experience.

4 Likes

Re: Tips To Becoming A Great Single Mum by free2ryhme: 9:04pm On Jun 12, 2013
To be a single mum is now a celebrity title abi? Tufikwa !!!!!
Re: Tips To Becoming A Great Single Mum by Mustay(m): 9:07pm On Jun 12, 2013
anitank:
some of us are not single mums by choice. Death happens u know? try thinking before talking or typing

Methinks there's a difference between 'singlehood' and widowhood. The first is by choice, the latter is by circumstance in this context.

However, I do know that sometimes the former could be by circumstance, e.g rape inter alias but some are trying to curb the 'single & proud' trend 'cos just like unmarried young/ageing women, it's not something to be proud of HERE. #2kobobservations

When the former happens by circumstance, a partner is usually added, not sole proprietorship. HERE, being born out of wedlock is an abomination even though it is ironically becoming a fad in cities. Methinks this is where peeps have issues with, not being a single parent by choice!
Re: Tips To Becoming A Great Single Mum by Nobody: 9:12pm On Jun 12, 2013
kokoye: Is this now something to be proud of?

Nna meeennn ...na wah o

It is amazing how ignorant you posters can be
Divorce happens you know
Men have abandoned their wives and children
People also die
Is it all single mothers that became single mothers by choice?
U sleep and don't wake up tomorrow.,our wife is now a single mother isn't it?

1 Like

Re: Tips To Becoming A Great Single Mum by Nobody: 9:15pm On Jun 12, 2013
Ewa beads: Please is single mom something to be proud of or what, cos I don't understand this thread.

Sharap!

1 Like

Re: Tips To Becoming A Great Single Mum by teemilo: 9:17pm On Jun 12, 2013
Apparently some people 'think' this disrespect of single mothers is d way to discourage others from going down that route... its actually funny but this NL it isn't surprising.

The incredibly dense will always be with us.
Re: Tips To Becoming A Great Single Mum by kokoye(m): 9:19pm On Jun 12, 2013
babyosisi:

It is amazing how ignorant you posters can be
Divorce happens you know
Men have abandoned their wives and children
People also die
Is it all single mothers that became single mothers by choice?

All I did was ask a question.

I never said anything about about it. I have a sister who is a single mom as well..but she wouldnt be if she had her way. But things happen. And I support her in everyway.

You are the one who needs to calm down and stop being emotional about it.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

NL Husband Material / Washing Husband Clothes! Who's Job The Man Or His Wife / Olden Days Vs Modern Days Marriages

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.