Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,015 members, 7,817,990 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:16 AM

Tips To Becoming A Great Single Mum - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Tips To Becoming A Great Single Mum (13123 Views)

Why Is It A Challenge For Single Mum's To Get Married? / Is It Crazy To Have The Urge To Want To Be A Single Mum? / Am A Single Mum About To Get Married To A Divorcee (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tips To Becoming A Great Single Mum by kokoye(m): 9:21pm On Jun 12, 2013
anitank:

its something to be proud of because being a mum proves that u're a real woman

So..those still looking onto God for the fruit of the womb are not real women??

I rest my case.

Good luck
Re: Tips To Becoming A Great Single Mum by Nobody: 9:24pm On Jun 12, 2013
kokoye:

All I did was ask a question.

I never said anything about about it. I have a sister who is a single mom as well..but she wouldnt be if she had her way. But things happen. And I support her in everyway.

You are the one who needs to calm down and stop being emotional about it.

Your question was a stupeed one then
Why ask if single motherhood was something to be proud of when you know there are many ways one can become single and the thread has nothing to do with encouraging people to run out and bear babies out of wedlock
Should people go and hide and be ashamed of themselves because they are single mothers?
Your sister is a single mother you say,is she less of a parent because she is a single mother?
What is wrong in giving tips on how to be a great single mom if that happens to be the position people find themselves in

1 Like

Re: Tips To Becoming A Great Single Mum by teemilo: 9:25pm On Jun 12, 2013
Apparently some people 'think' this disrespect of single mothers is d way to discourage others from going down that route... its shouldn't be funny but this NL.

The incredibly dense will always be with us.

2 Likes

Re: Tips To Becoming A Great Single Mum by kokoye(m): 9:29pm On Jun 12, 2013
babyosisi:

Your question was a stupeed one then
Why ask if single motherhood was something to be proud if when you know there are many ways one can become single
Should people go and hide and be ashamed of themselves because they are single mothers?
Your sister is a single mother you say,is she less of a parent because she is a single mother?

First of all, please be respectful. I'm sure I have not said anything disrespecful to you.
Again..you need to stop being emotional about this.
I never said any of the things you claim I said...you are the one reading meanings into it.
Bottomline is I dont know anyone out there who sets out to be a single mom - things happen and you deal with it.

Did you set out ..or look forward to being a single mom?

Again, I have not said anything bad about single moms..I respect their hussle and pray that God rewards their work.

If you want to have a conversation, that's fine, as long as you are respectful.

1 Like

Re: Tips To Becoming A Great Single Mum by Nobody: 9:34pm On Jun 12, 2013
kokoye: Is this now something to be proud of?

Nna meeennn ...na wah o

This is your post above
If you feel differently about it now go and modify it rather than pretending that I am making up stuff
You haven't said anything bad about single moms
Indeed!!

5 Likes

Re: Tips To Becoming A Great Single Mum by lovelydoll: 9:43pm On Jun 12, 2013
ekwah:

All I did was just state the fact the way it is. Who am I to play God?
A = Being a single mum
b = Being close to God
A and B => abstinence from sex unless one is re-married - a thing that's obviously almost impossible!!

OP's suggestion of they 'being close to God' doesn't sound practical to me at all for very obvious reasons. You didn't answer my question.

Shout out to all them single mums though, dem strong.
They can always repent
Re: Tips To Becoming A Great Single Mum by kokoye(m): 9:44pm On Jun 12, 2013
babyosisi:

This is your post above
If you feel differently about it now go and modify it rather than pretending that I am making up stuff
You haven't said anything bad about single moms
Indeed!!

You chose to read meanings into it. I dont have any control over that.

There are situations in which I have found myself but it doesnt mean I pray that anyone else should be in such situations. - If I had my way, I wouldnt be in such..so I wont say I'm proud of it...but I'll deal with it. Hope that is clear enough...hence my comment.

And since I made that comment..have I said anything else that you deem negative?

You just choose to hold on to whatever fuels your anger...I have no control over that as well.

Good luck and God bless.

3 Likes

Re: Tips To Becoming A Great Single Mum by Nobody: 9:50pm On Jun 12, 2013
kokoye:

You chose to read meanings into it. I dont have any control over that.

And since I made that comment..have I said anything else that you deem negative?

You just choose to hold on to whatever fuels your anger...I have no control over that as well.

Good luck and God bless.

You are a very stubborn man
You talk nonsense and you are called out on the nonsense and you twist it around and accuse me of reading meanings
Meanings to a simple post that an elementary schooler can understand? shocked
Please what is the meaning of your post
since you are the only one that knows the real meaning of your post
Mchtwwww!!!!!

2 Likes

Re: Tips To Becoming A Great Single Mum by kokoye(m): 9:55pm On Jun 12, 2013
^^^

I updated my last post...read it if you want and maybe then you will see the reason behind my comment.

You need to control your emotions...we are having a conversation and learning in the process.

You dont know who I am and vice versa. I have not for once said anything negative to YOU. Think about that.

2 Likes

Re: Tips To Becoming A Great Single Mum by Nobody: 9:59pm On Jun 12, 2013
Op,u did well by posting this. Single parenting(women) is very stressful on its own coupled with d image it has in naija.
Assuming there is a way we can know,some of us here claiming holy hv either abandoned a pregnant galfriend to her fate or hv kids outside wedlock but of course in NL everybody is perfect and without dent.throut their family history nobody hv done such.its a taboo.
In every two or three houses especially public house,u must c one out of wedlock child. Some mums tend to direct their frustration to their kids.
Pls if there is one around u,kindly be good to her.she is passin tru a lot and pls can we stop d preaching.an adage in my place says"all dogs eat shi*t but u will always call d one u saw shi*t on its mouth shi*t eater"

2 Likes

Re: Tips To Becoming A Great Single Mum by Nobody: 10:09pm On Jun 12, 2013
kokoye: ^^^

I updated my last post...read it if you want and maybe then you will see the reason behind my comment.

You need to control your emotions...we are having a conversation and learning in the process.

You dont know who I am and vice versa. I have not for once said anything negative to YOU. Think about that.

Look ,if hammering on my emotions is your way of trying to prove manhood,you better cut that out
Ok
Enough of that emotional crap talks
Moving on!!

1 Like

Re: Tips To Becoming A Great Single Mum by 9jamum(f): 10:19pm On Jun 12, 2013
yellowpawpaw: Op,u did well by posting this. Single parenting(women) is very stressful on its own coupled with d image it has in naija.
Assuming there is a way we can know,some of us here claiming holy hv either abandoned a pregnant galfriend to her fate or hv kids outside wedlock but of course in NL everybody is perfect and without dent.throut their family history nobody hv done such.its a taboo.
In every two or three houses especially public house,u must c one out of wedlock child. Some mums tend to direct their frustration to their kids.
Pls if there is one around u,kindly be good to her.she is passin tru a lot and pls can we stop d preaching.an adage in my place says"all dogs eat shi*t but u will always call d one u saw shi*t on its mouth shi*t eater"

Thank you for ur comment. We intend to reach out and help wipe away more tears as many are going through so much and silently dying inside. <HolyLand> <SaintLand>.

1 Like

Re: Tips To Becoming A Great Single Mum by Nobody: 10:22pm On Jun 12, 2013
9jamum: What’s the single most difficult aspect of single parenting? I know, we all have our different answers as the individual challenges differs from state to state and country to country. I complete agree with the fact that a role meant for two mates now belongs to an individual is enough to break one down with enough stress to last a life time.

However, despite what you read from the media and hear, being a single mother is not all bad news. To encourage our beautiful strong single mothers out there are these tips to becoming a great single mum help ease through the journey.

1.Maintain a relationship with God.
Whatever your religious inclination, talking to your God through prayers and reading your Holy Bible, Quran etc will only require a few minutes or hour of your time in the day. Doing this will refresh your soul, give you inner peace and renewal, hope, especially if you are facing different challenges.

2. Seek out role models:
Single mums and her child(ren) can flourish. The first step is to make a list of other single mums or children raised by single mums who inspire you and refer to it as whenever they are going through a difficult day. The world is amazed how Obama turned out good from such a background.

3. Find a work schedule that suits your life style and family.
Do not be afraid to express your needs to your employers by telling him or her you are a single mum / parent. Most of them will understand and assist you in getting a flexible work schedule.

4. Do not freak out over things beyond your control –  if your child’s father promises to show up unannounced during an event at your child’s school. Do not loose your beauty sleep over it. That’s his wahala not yours!
5. Do make out a ‘me – time”.
Being a single mum is hard work, so you deserve time off every now and then. When you create free time for yourself, you can enjoy going to the salon or spending time with friends after having left your child(ren) in the capable hands of either a baby sitter,  another single mum friend or neighbour.

6. Be yourself.
Do not compete with yourself. This is because, nobody is keeping scores on the unmade beds, unclean breakfast dishes and toys scattered about on some chaotic morning. Please, focus on doing the most important things to avoid lateness for you and your child (dren). These include bathing, getting dresses, having breakfast and leaving for school/ work for both you and the child(ren). You can always get back to doing these chores later.

Finally, this tend to reduce or completely take the pressure off you whilst spending more quality time with your child (ren).

www.singlenaijamum.com

I doff my hat for single mothers
I have good friends that are single mothers,some by reason of untimely death of their spouses and some by reason of divorce and one was pregnant and decided to leave her abusive fiancé
Amazing mothers and great professionals
If any woman has been like me with a husband that worked abroad for a period,you will appreciate how tough it is for single mothers
My respect for single mothers grew after that experience
You are everything and you also have a job to keep down

I believe all women with children,single or married can benefit from the list above

4 Likes

Re: Tips To Becoming A Great Single Mum by Nobody: 10:24pm On Jun 12, 2013
Im a damn good single mother and not ashamed of it. grin

2 Likes

Re: Tips To Becoming A Great Single Mum by Truckpusher(m): 10:30pm On Jun 12, 2013
SniperInADiaper: Im a damn good single mother and not ashamed of it. grin
hey!.I'll always be by your side
..haters can go to hell,I don't give a fucck abt em wink

1 Like

Re: Tips To Becoming A Great Single Mum by 9jamum(f): 10:35pm On Jun 12, 2013
SniperInADiaper: Im a damn good single mother and not ashamed of it. grin

I hear you. Keep up the good work! Well done

1 Like

Re: Tips To Becoming A Great Single Mum by Nobody: 10:51pm On Jun 12, 2013
Truckpusher: hey!.I'll always be by your side
..haters can go to hell,I don't give a fucck abt em wink

kiss kiss thanks babe
Re: Tips To Becoming A Great Single Mum by Nobody: 11:01pm On Jun 12, 2013
Absolutely nothing wrong being a single mom!Like I always point out(
Ofcourse Pple condemn me),after marriage,what exists is companionship.I can't imagine being in my 50's and my 60 years old,but living husband wud turn to me and say'"honey,you are looking sexy tonight!"I go just slap him old wrinkled face and pray to die peacefully!Anuofia mmadu!Ewure! grin smiley Sexy ko!Kim Kardashian ni!!!!with my old and wrinkled punnany grin :DvBiko kwa!
Re: Tips To Becoming A Great Single Mum by Originalsly: 11:10pm On Jun 12, 2013
slimyem:

Its a reality. Single mothers are all over the place thanks to many useless sp£rm donors.
Too many sperm banks fighting for sperm donors. @moderator....why was my earlier post hidden? Is it because I pushed against this your feminist agenda?
Re: Tips To Becoming A Great Single Mum by Nobody: 11:23pm On Jun 12, 2013
Originalsly: Too many sperm banks fighting for sperm donors. @moderator....why was my earlier post hidden? Is it because I pushed against this your feminist agenda?

Being a strong single mum has nothing to do with feminism. undecided
Re: Tips To Becoming A Great Single Mum by 1k001(m): 11:34pm On Jun 12, 2013
The best place to be for everyone is a loving stable family with father and mother.
Unfortunately this isnt always possible for a variety of reasons. All one can do is make the best of the situation
Respect to all the single mothers but remember that all children need a responsible father figure. The kids will do better when such a figuure is available than otherwise

3 Likes

Re: Tips To Becoming A Great Single Mum by Babe101: 11:48pm On Jun 12, 2013
Hmmmm! Everybody in NL is very very holy. Have u never impregnated a girl before? How many girls have aborted pregnancies for u?
We all need to know and accept the fact that most ladies do not become single mums deliberately. I have a friend that was dating a guy for 3years, got pregnant and they both decided to get married. After the introduction, the guy suddenly said he was no longer ready to get married and by then she was over 4months pregnant (3wks to d wedding) and he left.
Would u now cast blames on this lady for being a single parent? All these holier than thou men around here, u all have sisters. Do pray that problems do not befall them but for now shut up ur mouths cos u would have also been baby daddies as well if not that u have been convincing one girl to keep aborting and aborting for u angry
Re: Tips To Becoming A Great Single Mum by Nobody: 12:43am On Jun 13, 2013
slimyem: What are you the fvcking?
If there can be "Tips to be a good wife/husband"
Or "Tips to have a successful family", what's wrong with this?

Its a reality. Single mothers are all over the place thanks to many useless sp£rm donors. Anything to ease their lives and that of their child/children should be welcome!

And the big thanks goes to the hopeless and clueless sperm receivers that receives anything that shoots out from a pole of MEAT. cheesy cheesy
Re: Tips To Becoming A Great Single Mum by Originalsly: 12:55am On Jun 13, 2013
SniperInADiaper:

Being a strong single mum has nothing to do with feminism. undecided
What exactly is meant by a strong single mom? There are many single moms because of very poor decisions on their part ...many because of circumstances like divorce and death. Despite the cause the tips given here are almost entirely based on raising the child surrounded by women and that's what makes it feminist.How can that mom ever be a great mom if she allows her child to grow up without a father figure? If a boy...how would he grow up to be a man? If a girl how would she grow up to relate well with men? You feel me?
Re: Tips To Becoming A Great Single Mum by Nobody: 12:58am On Jun 13, 2013
1k001: The best place to be for everyone is a loving stable family with father and mother.
Unfortunately this isnt always possible for a variety of reasons. All one can do is make the best of the situation
Respect to all the single mothers but remember that all children need a responsible father figure. The kids will do better when such a figuure is available than otherwise
Permit me to say that some men irrespective of marital canopy r bad father figure.I've seen grown ups say how they wish they don't hv a dad.
Forget what society and religion MOULDED us to be.It can be likewise for a woman but with small %age.
Some comments here r really from kids I must say.what do they know about life? When life's pressing issues hit them one way or d other,I don't think they will be so judgemental and harsh without pausin first.....

1 Like

Re: Tips To Becoming A Great Single Mum by somegirl1: 1:33am On Jun 13, 2013
Originalsly: Hmmm...is this how you redeem yourself from the mistake of being a baby momma? Being a single parent is not something to be proud of.Parents should be role models to their children...don't you think? Why find other people to be role models? This is confirming that you yourself believe you are not a good enough parent for your child. So why advise others? If your child is a boy growing up under all your female role models how will he grow up to be a man? Is this not setting the foundation for him to be one of those hmmm...effeminate men? Then making time for yourself by dumping your child off at whoever...is that not typical baby momma mentality? Why would you be surprised if your child follows in your footsteps? We have to be careful of people like you who seek to dilute then destroy African family values.

Don't be silly.
What are widows and divorced women with children called?
Why do you automatically associate single motherhood with promiscuity?
Do you not know that women who are truly promiscuous are "smart" enough to ensure they never become single mothers?
You are in no position to judge another.

1 Like

Re: Tips To Becoming A Great Single Mum by 99cent: 3:24am On Jun 13, 2013
Originalsly: What exactly is meant by a strong single mom? There are many single moms because of very poor decisions on their part ...many because of circumstances like divorce and death. Despite the cause the tips given here are almost entirely based on raising the child surrounded by women and that's what makes it feminist.How can that mom ever be a great mom if she allows her child to grow up without a father figure? If a boy...how would he grow up to be a man? If a girl how would she grow up to relate well with men? You feel me?

You need to go back to school and learn what feminism means. Most single mothers aren't single by choice. some of them are in the circumstance they are in with 50% of the fault going to the man who refuse his responsibility and probably deserted the child and mother. You should be praising the woman because she did not decide to abandon her child on d side of the road out of shame. neither did she abort her baby. What is there not to be joyful about.
anything associated with women for some reason is supposed to be a source of scorn and hate. Go and check yourself.
feminist or not, she is raising her child that she loves and cares about and looking for tips to do so to the best of her ability.
don't know why it is mostly men who are intent on deciding how women should raise their children yet most of them rarely spend more than 30min with their kids a day. shior.

@OP,
one advice I will give you is to surround yourself with supportive people and move far away from those who are intent upon criticizing and bringing down your confidence in yourself and your ability to raise your child(ren). You may end up getting married to a good husband in the future, otherwise (or until then), look for successful single mothers and learn from them. In fact, I will post one below.

2 Likes

Re: Tips To Becoming A Great Single Mum by 99cent: 3:24am On Jun 13, 2013
Here is the link to the story of a Nigerian single mom in UK who singlehandedly raised SEVEN kids ( 4 of them are QUADRUPLETS) successfully that they all got into top universities in London and there are doctors, lawyers among them. The story was carried by a british newspaper. She's definitely a supermom. many married women cannot even accomplish such a feat.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1046028/Its-live-HOW-live-says-sink-estate-single-mum-quadruplets-got-universities.html#ixzz2W3k2go9k

It takes determination and hard work but do-able. Yes, having a supportive husband is ideal. but life in unpredictable and can turn out in ways that are unexpected.

1 Like

Re: Tips To Becoming A Great Single Mum by Nobody: 3:37am On Jun 13, 2013
99cent: Here is the link to the story of a Nigerian single mom in UK who singlehandedly raised SEVEN kids ( 4 of them are QUADRUPLETS) successfully that they all got into top universities in London and there are doctors, lawyers among them. The story was carried by a british newspaper. She's definitely a supermom. many married women cannot even accomplish such a feat.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1046028/Its-live-HOW-live-says-sink-estate-single-mum-quadruplets-got-universities.html#ixzz2W3k2go9k

It takes determination and hard work but do-able. Yes, having a supportive husband is ideal. but life in unpredictable and can turn out in ways that are unexpected.

Incidentally I started a thread here in honor of her back in 2008

https://www.nairaland.com/178854/nigerian-single-mother-london-makes
Re: Tips To Becoming A Great Single Mum by Nobody: 5:04am On Jun 13, 2013
some-girl:

Don't be silly.
What are widows and divorced women with children called?
Why do you automatically associate single motherhood with promiscuity?
Do you not know that women who are truly promiscuous are "smart" enough to ensure they never become single mothers?
You are in no position to judge another.

I tire o. So you'd rather we aborted our precious kids because in a moment of passion we let a meat pole pour its sperm in us?

I'm waiting for the day anyone will insult me about being a single mother.

Some of the fawktards talking here have had countless abortions and are going to end up in the TTC thread and tell us how they swear to Thor they were untouched. I'm so proud of my decision to keep my baby, but if I had to do this again, I'll wait until I'm happily married to have him. Simple.

And the ones asking about abstinence, google secondary abstinence. Its very possible, very practisable. When you've got such a huge task as single handedly raising children, the least of your problems will be getting laid, I tell you.

If you think all these negativity and self imposed authority to judge will reduce the menace of teen pregnancy/promiscuity, keep it up. You apparently have the energy.

I got pregnant as a teen, and I've realised my mistakes. Hell, I'm still paying for them. But I'd choose that over not having my son(abortion) and gloating about being a virgin on NL.

4 Likes

Re: Tips To Becoming A Great Single Mum by Nobody: 5:07am On Jun 13, 2013
^^^ Gbamest
Re: Tips To Becoming A Great Single Mum by greatgod2012(f): 6:17am On Jun 13, 2013
For those saying single motherhood should not be encouraged, yes, it should not, but some people just find themselves there, with no fault of theirs at all, like when the other partner dies, or he/she is abusive or he/she is dangerous to live with.
It is better to be a single mum than to be a victim of circumstances. For example, see Toyin Arowolo's case,(may her soul RIP), is it not better for her to be a single mum than be the dead?
It is better to be a single mum than staying with a man who plans to use his wife for money rituals, (strange but very real). I know a woman whom this happened to, but God found a way of delivering her, would you advise such a woman to continue staying with the woman, because single parenting should not be encouraged?
Is it not better to be a single mum than to stay with a man who suddenly join an armed robbery group, and you try to discourage him and he threaten to keep you silent forever. Should such a woman stay there, because single motherhod should not be encouraged?
What about widows, is it their fault that they are single mums?
May God help us all.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

NL Husband Material / Washing Husband Clothes! Who's Job The Man Or His Wife / Olden Days Vs Modern Days Marriages

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.