Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,756 members, 7,824,167 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:10 AM

CVs and Cover Letters Speak. Is Yours Speaking For You? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / CVs and Cover Letters Speak. Is Yours Speaking For You? (19613 Views)

Untold Secrets Of How Smart People Improve Their Cvs And Personalities: A Case.. / Struggling With Cover Letters? Let's Crack It Here. / Cover Letters - How "Blunt" Should You Be? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: CVs and Cover Letters Speak. Is Yours Speaking For You? by opson2yk(m): 11:50am On Jun 22, 2013
Good work bro. Kindly send me a sample of good cover letter. My e-mail: opson2yk@yahoo.com. Thanks
Re: CVs and Cover Letters Speak. Is Yours Speaking For You? by dejijohns(m): 2:31pm On Jun 22, 2013
Snd a CV format & a cover letter to me too plz, email add: dejijohns@gmail.com
Re: CVs and Cover Letters Speak. Is Yours Speaking For You? by chudidonas(m): 3:58pm On Jun 22, 2013
Thank you Op for such an eye opener. Please can u also send me a copy of the cv? Include coverletter too if possible. Thanks email:chudidonas@yahoo.co.uk
Re: CVs and Cover Letters Speak. Is Yours Speaking For You? by Testy17: 4:50pm On Jun 22, 2013
kindly send it to my email zakariyyauh@gmail.com. i will really appreciate it
Re: CVs and Cover Letters Speak. Is Yours Speaking For You? by Testy17: 4:52pm On Jun 22, 2013
kindly send good cv format and cover letter to zakariyyauh@gmail.com thanks
Re: CVs and Cover Letters Speak. Is Yours Speaking For You? by Shinor(m): 5:09pm On Jun 22, 2013
All done guys. Check your emails.
@Defloata............Kind of surprised your email is incomplete and will not work either as .co.uk / .com
Re: CVs and Cover Letters Speak. Is Yours Speaking For You? by Shinor(m): 5:11pm On Jun 22, 2013
For all cover letter related issues see my post on cover letters. Thanks
Re: CVs and Cover Letters Speak. Is Yours Speaking For You? by Taiw(m): 5:36pm On Jun 22, 2013
pls I'm also interested...telltboyz@yahoo.com including d cover letter
Re: CVs and Cover Letters Speak. Is Yours Speaking For You? by chudidonas(m): 6:09pm On Jun 22, 2013
@OP.. Thanks a lot boss. You gave me quite what I was looking for in the coverletter. Good guidline. As for the CV, mine is already streamlined to yours. Glad to know am on the right travk. Thanks
Re: CVs and Cover Letters Speak. Is Yours Speaking For You? by Nobody: 12:15am On Jun 23, 2013
Pls kindly send me a sample of C.V and cover letter. Obendeobende88@yahoo.com
Re: CVs and Cover Letters Speak. Is Yours Speaking For You? by Nobody: 1:00am On Jun 23, 2013
Hi pls do send a sample to mairosusej@gmail.com
Thank you
Re: CVs and Cover Letters Speak. Is Yours Speaking For You? by jolayemis(m): 3:01am On Jun 23, 2013
good work.kindly send some format of CV to me.sheft_wale@yahoo.com
Re: CVs and Cover Letters Speak. Is Yours Speaking For You? by ceo4eva: 6:53am On Jun 23, 2013
Tnx in advance.
Re: CVs and Cover Letters Speak. Is Yours Speaking For You? by baylownoni: 6:50pm On Jun 23, 2013
Send me some too sir akinwunmikolade@hotmail.com.
Shinor: 10 things you should have in your CV

Contact details
It’s important to provide a range of contact options including your home address, your main phone number and your email address to make it easy for employers to get in touch with you.
Employment history
Make sure to include the jobs that are relevant to the position you are applying for. If you haven't had much relevant experience, however, you may want to include your whole work history.
Education and qualifications
Your education and qualifications may not be directly related to the job you are applying for, but they’re still important achievements that any employer will want to see.
Skills and strengths
Emphasising your skills and strengths is vital when building a CV. A strength is something you’re naturally good at. A skill is something you acquire with education and experience. Make sure to demonstrate how your skills and strengths will help you to do well in the job.
Your personality
Your CV should follow a fairly standard format and the interview is where your personality is really important, but you can still stand out from the crowd with the language you use. Check out Clever Word Play for more ideas.
A prioritised layout
The way you layout your CV will depend on your age and work experience level. The My CV tool allows you to choose between a work-focused or education-focused template. If you have don’t have much work experience or you’re looking for a career change, you should place your skills and strengths section before employment and education.
A good simple format
Unless you’re going for a highly creative job, getting too fancy with fonts and borders will only take the focus from the important information in your CV.
Good spelling and punctuation
There’s no room for poor spelling and punctuation in either your cover letter or your CV. Keep sentences short to avoid confused punctuation and, if you can, give it to a friend to check it over. Spell check should be the very last thing you do before sending it off.
References available on request
You don’t have to include references in your CV and leaving them out will save you space, but make sure to state at the end of your CV that they are available on request.
A cover letter
Most employers will expect a cover letter with your CV. It gives you a chance to get across your personality, ambition and to explain any gaps in your CV. Check out our Cover letter guide following shortly
For a sample of a CV click http://saotheemploymentcoach..co.uk/2013/06/your-cv-is-meant-to-do-one-thing-get.html
Re: CVs and Cover Letters Speak. Is Yours Speaking For You? by Abambi: 10:18am On Jun 24, 2013
Please kindly send copies of samples to my e-mail Danjumabrown@gmail.com ... Thanks
Re: CVs and Cover Letters Speak. Is Yours Speaking For You? by Nobody: 11:11am On Jun 24, 2013
Pls,kindly send me a sample of a cover letter and CV.Thanks
beautyyjo@gmail.com
Re: CVs and Cover Letters Speak. Is Yours Speaking For You? by Kdjmamar: 7:44pm On Jun 24, 2013
Plz I'm also interested, kindly send it to asalewa@ymail.com thank u sir
Re: CVs and Cover Letters Speak. Is Yours Speaking For You? by george31(m): 1:09pm On Jun 25, 2013
CV format plays a major role when it comes to Employers or HR's shortlisting. pls email me the cv format: georgeprays@gmail.com
Re: CVs and Cover Letters Speak. Is Yours Speaking For You? by uchecho: 4:09pm On Jun 25, 2013
Thanks for the good work. Please i need cv samples too. please email to konko2@yahoo.com
Re: CVs and Cover Letters Speak. Is Yours Speaking For You? by Nobody: 7:26pm On Jun 25, 2013
you r really doin a nice job here, keep it up..
pls, i need some samples of cv and cover letter....my email is..tanx in sheer anticipatiion sir...
Re: CVs and Cover Letters Speak. Is Yours Speaking For You? by Nobody: 7:28pm On Jun 25, 2013
chudidonas: @OP.. Thanks a lot boss. You gave me quite what I was looking for in the coverletter. Good guidline. As for the CV, mine is already streamlined to yours. Glad to know am on the right travk. Thanks
kindly forward to me pls, my email is above..
Re: CVs and Cover Letters Speak. Is Yours Speaking For You? by sozima(f): 9:02pm On Jun 25, 2013
pls send me a sample of a good CV and cover letter - sozima2012@yahoo.com
Re: CVs and Cover Letters Speak. Is Yours Speaking For You? by OLUWAOPULENT: 9:59pm On Jun 25, 2013
pls can i get a copy/sample of a cv and cover letter too. My email is marian4luv66@yahoo.com... Thanks
Re: CVs and Cover Letters Speak. Is Yours Speaking For You? by OLUWAOPULENT: 10:04pm On Jun 25, 2013
pls can i get a copy/sample of a cv and cover letter. This is my email: marian4luv66@yahoo.com. Thanks
Re: CVs and Cover Letters Speak. Is Yours Speaking For You? by casmologous: 8:14am On Jun 26, 2013
thanks 4 d good job u are doing. pls can i get a sample of a cv and a cover letter my adress is casma04@gmail.com thanks
Re: CVs and Cover Letters Speak. Is Yours Speaking For You? by Shinor(m): 9:19am On Jun 26, 2013
CV Samples will be sent shortly.
On cover letters I already created a topic " Struggling with cover letters? Let's crack it here."
Here it is

[quote author=Shinor][b]COVER LETTER
I remember I did promise to do a piece on cover letters. Contrary to what a lot of candidates assume, a cover letter is not a protective jacket for your CV.
Instead it is an advert for your CV and you.
A cover letter is even more USEFUL when you are sending your CV to an organization that has not advertised any vacancies.
All cover letters should:

1.Explain why you are sending a CV.
Don't send a CV without a cover letter.
Don't make the reader guess what you are asking for; be specific: Do you want a voluntary opportunity, or a permanent position; are you inquiring about future employment possibilities?
Tell specifically how you learned about the position or the organization — an advert in a newspaper, a web site, or a family friend who works at the organization. It is appropriate to mention the name of someone who suggested that you write unless the person is states otherwise.
2.Convince the reader to look at your CV.
The cover letter will be seen first.
Therefore, it must be very well written and targeted to that employer.Call attention to elements of your background — education, leadership, experience — that are relevant to a position you are seeking. Be as specific as possible, using examples.Reflect your attitude, personality, motivation, enthusiasm, and communication skills.
Provide or refer to any information specifically requested in a job advertisement that might not be covered in your resume, such as availability date, or reference to an attached writing sample.

3.Indicate what you will do to follow-up.In a letter of application — applying for an advertised opening — applicants often say something like "I look forward to hearing from you." However, if you have further contact info (e.g. phone number) and if the employer hasn't said "no phone calls," it's better to take the initiative to follow-up, saying something like, "I will contact you in the next two weeks to see if you require any additional information regarding my qualifications."
In a letter of inquiry — asking about the possibility of an opening — don't assume the employer will contact you. You should say something like, "I will contact you in two weeks to learn more about upcoming employment opportunities with (name of organization)." Then mark your calendar to make the call.

An example of a cover letter that can be adapted

1000 Terrace View Apts.
Blacksburg, VA 24060
(540) 555-4523
stevemason@vt.edu

March 25, 20XY
Ms. Janice Wilson
Personnel Director
Anderson Construction Company
3507 Rockville Pike
Rockville, MD 20895

Dear Ms. Wilson:

I read in the March 24th Washington Post classified section of your need for a Civil Engineer or Building Construction graduate for one of your Washington, DC, area sites. I will be returning to the Washington area after graduation in May and believe that I have the necessary credentials for the project.

Every summer for the last five years I have worked at various levels in the construction industry. As indicated on my enclosed resume, I have worked as a general laborer, and moved up to skilled carpentry work, and last summer served as assistant construction manager on a two million dollar residential construction project.

In addition to this practical experience, I will complete requirements for my B.S. in Building Construction in May. As you may know, Virginia Tech is one of the few universities in the country that offers such a specialized degree for the construction industry. I am confident that my degree, along with my years of construction industry experience, makes me an excellent candidate for your job.

The Anderson Construction Company projects are familiar to me, and my aspiration is to work for a company that has your excellent reputation. I would welcome the opportunity to interview with you. I will be in the Washington area during the week of April 12th and would be available to speak with you at that time. In the next week to ten days I will contact you to answer any questions you may have.

Thank you for your consideration.
Sincerely,

Steve Mason
Re: CVs and Cover Letters Speak. Is Yours Speaking For You? by Shinor(m): 9:21am On Jun 26, 2013
With cover letters it is not just writing a cover a letter but also letting you see what it is meant to achieve in detail.
Hope this helps.
Re: CVs and Cover Letters Speak. Is Yours Speaking For You? by Rohzay(m): 4:45pm On Jun 26, 2013
plz send me a copy of ur CV.....plz to emmanueluchendu42@yahoo.com
Re: CVs and Cover Letters Speak. Is Yours Speaking For You? by Nobody: 4:52pm On Jun 26, 2013
tanx alot..i got it..May God strenghten u d more..
Re: CVs and Cover Letters Speak. Is Yours Speaking For You? by Alexk2(m): 7:51pm On Jun 26, 2013
pls., send me a copy of the cv and cover letter format..my email; alexandk166@gmail.com
Re: CVs and Cover Letters Speak. Is Yours Speaking For You? by deleola: 4:58pm On Jun 27, 2013
Mr shinor, Me too.bogesbabe@yahoo.com. God bless u
Re: CVs and Cover Letters Speak. Is Yours Speaking For You? by max1113(m): 7:54pm On Jun 27, 2013
Shinor: [b]I have come across a great number of CV's in the course of my work and my reaction sometimes after perusing some copies has been " What on earth is this'? I wonder what was going through the candidate's mind as they put together that CV. Many are yet to understand the traditional role of a CV. It is simply the primary document a would be employer or agency consults to assess your eligibility for a position. The employer reads through your work and education history for any experience or skills that you may possess which will help you perform your role and then makes a decision whether to call your for an interview or not.
Unfortunately if there are question marks in any area of your CV, the decision is made without giving you an opportunity to explain. In other words you are judged based on what your CV said.
Therefore it is imperative to ensure that your CV is always saying the right things about you.
For more details on what should be on a CV, read my next article on CV's to be published subsequently. Pls, need de format of cv. Tanx
http://saotheemploymentcoach..co.uk/2013/06/cvs-speak-is-yours-speaking-for-you.html[/b]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

5 Work-from-home Jobs In Nigeria / I Want To Quit My Job And Live On My Savings / Why Did You Leave Your Last Job?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.