Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,474 members, 7,819,725 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:47 PM

Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour (14585 Views)

What's Happening In Anambra, All the Markets Closed. / Tinubu’s Daughter To Replace Abibatu Mogaji As New ‘iyaloja’? / Tinubu’s Mother, Abibat Mogaji Is Dead (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by CATCHYBLOGGER: 11:42pm On Jun 18, 2013
Afam4eva:
This is why i asked if people were compelled or they did it by their own free will. If the latter is the case then no problem but if the former is the case which someone confirmed then it's not right. I'm sure a lot of those market people will rather go to market today but due to fear of the unknown, they'll not. People should not be forced to do something that they'd rather not do. If some of the market people choose not to come to honor her then good but it should not be forced down the throat of everybody.

I saw a man scattering and throwing away clothing wares at Agege (Dopemu road) today. Traders were forced to hurriedly pack their wares and escape him.
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by Nobody: 12:26am On Jun 19, 2013
And for how long will the markets be closed down.
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by Obi1kenobi(m): 1:09am On Jun 19, 2013
Dudu_Negro:

Can you deny that the action of MASSOB brought about a new awakening for the Igbo identity? No, you cannot! The internet was flooded with Igbos who acclaimed the action as a unifying rouse and a new motivation for their spirit.

Constitution is a guide for the social order but it does not address everything in society. Should we include a statute in our constitution about Iyaloja in Yorubaland? Should we draft a "sit-at-home" clause for the constitution? We will be a joke of the democratic world. Thanksgiving is a time when businesses in US shut down but we cant find a "Thanksgiving Statute" anywherw in their constitution. Humans make laws. Laws are derivatives of our social exchanges. The law on Iyaloja is customary and rooted in the land, unless the Obas say otherwise, no President or Governor or Constitution can change it.

For all the verbose, self-indulgent stuff you write here, it never masks the crass logic you come up with. Articulate and eloquent it may be, but with strange, degenerate logic. So many words saying nothing as you keep making a clown of yourself. Please, can anyone tell me if touts harrass people to enforce observation of Thanksgiving in the United States? What kind of false equivalence is that? Next you'll be comparing omoniles and agberos with IRS officials in the States. Cos I'm not aware such ever happens in a civilized nation. Mega City indeed. How can anybody look to justify closing market operations round an entire state because the mother of the godfather of agberos in Lagos is dead? Not even the queen of England would be afforded such outrageous pageantry.

They may as well enter Palms or Mega Plaza or any of the shopping malls or car dealerships to stop operations simply because an irrelevant political figure is dead. And some people with mo.ronic clannish justifications are trying to rationalize the absurdity. Unbelievable.
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by Obi1kenobi(m): 1:56am On Jun 19, 2013
ilugunboy:

So far ..no Yoruba man or woman is complaining .....like I keep telling you..it's a Yoruba culture in a Yoruba land..learn to respect it for mutual benefit and peaceful co-existence otherwise you will regret it if you go against it...no constitution whatsoever will defend you.

It will be stupid of me as a Yoruba man to go or do anything against Omenala ndi Igbo in Igbo land.
Why do you purport to speak for all Yorubas? My Yoruba friends think the whole charade is a joke. Their sentiments aren't clouded by clannish, juvenile interests. Go ask the average Yoruba trader on the street if he gives a f**k about marking the passing of Tinubu's mother. Bear your grieving alone and don't saddle others with the burden of your grief. That's what a decent man does. Do not meddle in people's livelihoods like some phoney emperor.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by EkoIle1: 2:09am On Jun 19, 2013
Obi1kenobi:
For all the verbose, self-indulgent stuff you write here, it never masks the crass logic you come up with. Articulate and eloquent it may be, but with strange, degenerate logic. So many words saying nothing as you keep making a clown of yourself. Please, can anyone tell me if touts harrass people to enforce observation of Thanksgiving in the United States? What kind of false equivalence is that? Next you'll be comparing omoniles and agberos with IRS officials in the States. Cos I'm not aware such ever happens in a civilized nation. Mega City indeed. How can anybody look to justify closing market operations round an entire state because the mother of the godfather of agberos in Lagos is dead? Not even the queen of England would be afforded such outrageous pageantry.

They may as well enter Palms or Mega Plaza or any of the shopping malls or car dealerships to stop operations simply because an irrelevant political figure is dead. And some people with mo.ronic clannish justifications are trying to rationalize the absurdity. Unbelievable.

It's perfectly ok not to like the what the market folks in Lagos are doing for obvious cultural and traditional differences, but they really own you no explanation or confederation to justify their beliefs system and cultural practices which cut both ways

Please don't get me wrong because the fact that you people have no respect and zero value for your cultural and traditional institutions is quiet understandable.

The fact that your traditional rulers and custodians of your traditional institutions and beliefs are fair game and subject to kidnappings and killings and also that even your school children are fair game is very quiet understandable, but you need to know and accept the fact that other people value life, death and traditions. We can set some time aside to respect our passed away leaders and icons because unlike you people, we don't breath, live and die because of money.

Lastly, it's very consoling that your ignorant and worthless rant is limited to the odious pages of NL and has no bearing on the great people of Lagos and their traditions.

Funny enough, this is not even the end of it because I see another Eyo festival in her name coming very very soon so you have more worries and pain inducing headache in your nearest future..

Get over yourself already because you are absolutely irrelevant and redundant.......

1 Like

Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by DuduNegro: 3:10am On Jun 19, 2013
Obi1kenobi:

The markrts were shut down in observation of our culture. We shall appoint another Iyaloja and when she dies markets will again be closed. If you dont like the culture please move to Borno, Funtua, Kano...or better yet to Aba or Onitsha. Nobody closes shops for Iyaloja in these places.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by DuduNegro: 3:18am On Jun 19, 2013
Obi1kenobi:
Why do you purport to speak for all Yorubas? My Yoruba friends think the whole charade is a joke. Their sentiments aren't clouded by clannish, juvenile interests. Go ask the average Yoruba trader on the street if he gives a f**k about marking the passing of Tinubu's mother. Bear your grieving alone and don't saddle others with the burden of your grief. That's what a decent man does. Do not meddle in people's livelihoods like some phoney emperor.

In fact na economy do ojoro, if no be so by now you go don see aso ebi , with her picture splashed on it, for all market people to wear and a big owambe to celebrate her life. Whether you like it or not there will be some Igbo market people adorned in this aso ebi.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by tpia5: 3:38am On Jun 19, 2013
why all the whining?
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by naptu2: 6:15am On Jun 19, 2013
Lagos Info &Strategy ⁠ @LagosTownHall

#FPN The Lagos State Govt did not order the markets closed. The association of market men & women decided to ...@ClassicFM973

...close the markets in honour of their late leader, and to attend the program planned in her honour today. @ClassicFM973 #FPN

#FPN The markets will only be closed for today. @ClassicFM973

@benjeedayo Because the markets associations decided to do so in honour of their late President General, Alhaja Abibatu Mogaji.

Lagos Info &Strategy retweeted

⁠Saudat Salami ⁠ @lagosshopping

@LagosTownHall @ClassicFM973 #FPN local mkts close wen a trader dies. Iyaoloja is d Head of all mkts in Lagos so all have to honor her.
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by Nobody: 6:40am On Jun 19, 2013
Obi1kenobi:

Keep lying shamelessly here....which your Yoruba friends are you talking about ? So you have Yoruba market women or men as friends? When you finish with the delusion, you will wake up to reality and understand that this wont be the first and neither would it be the last time....
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by Nobody: 6:46am On Jun 19, 2013
Some people need lesson in sociology.

Mores and norms of a society should always be respected.

Plateau heads can't comprehend.
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by naptu2: 7:00am On Jun 19, 2013
Saudat Salami ⁠ @lagosshoppin

@LagosTownHall @ClassicFM973 #FPN local mkts close wen a trader dies. Iyaoloja is d Head of all mkts in Lagos so all have to honor her.

Saudat Salami ⁠ @lagosshopping

@LagosTownHall @ClassicFM973 #FPN let's use this opportunity to enlighten our pple of our culture and tradition. We shld be proud of it.

Saudat Salami ⁠ @lagosshopping

@LagosTownHall @ClassicFM973 #FPN the learnings for future shld be a general announcement as soon as possible for pple to be prepared.
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by badesco(m): 7:42am On Jun 19, 2013
losing of market because some one died is nothing but a retrogressive idea
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by Nobody: 7:58am On Jun 19, 2013
thelastPope:

stop being a tribalist my friend. Where did you hear that it is Igbos that are complaining. Are all the shops in Lagos owned by Igbos? Are all those who couldnt buy food since morning Igbos? Your tribalistic head cannot think straight again! Sad
If Ketu Mile 12 Market and others like it remain close and markets like Ladipo, Alaba, Katongowa, etc are open for business, I doubt if any Igbo man would show any concern.
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by phineas: 8:31am On Jun 19, 2013
What defines a soceity is its cultural identity,I dare say some of it which we have lost is responsible for the recent social vices that seem to be cropping up.

The Iyaloja and Iyalode are notable influential and powerful positions in yorubaland,they control the markets and the economy via their rule over the market associations and those associations have the power to set the inflation rate and scarcity.

This particular Iyaloja welded her influence and position in the face of modern oppression and we heard of no flagrant abuse of her power,pls read efunsetan aniwura.

If the people honour her by closing the market for a day which in customs is indeed her due,the least we could all do is respect this custom of the pple,their loss and hold our peace.

That's said this piece has inspired me to ensure my kids read at least 2 books on the history of our people lest they be like the ones that use the left hand to describe their fathers house.you know what they say about them.
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by Obi1kenobi(m): 10:42am On Jun 19, 2013
And for those who keep going on about culture, please comprehend the real grievance and quit the red herring evasive arguments. The aggrieved have no issue with observing the rites, the issue is with enforcing it on people with no ties whatsoever to it and infringing on basic rights of people by meddling with their livelihoods. It's just like people having no problem with owambe parties as long as the road isn't blocked by the show. Get it in its simplicity and quit mindlessly regurgitating the same fallacy over and over.
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by Nobody: 10:52am On Jun 19, 2013
Obi1kenobi:
What's this brain-dead cretin waffling on about? What does kidnapping have to do with anything? No civilized nation violently enforces any absurdities on people in the name of obsolete traditions. No one cares if people voluntarily shut up their shops and throw owambe to mark her passing. It's perfectly acceptable, but why should some Alaba/Aspamda/Ladipo trader be forced to commemorate the death of someone he's never even heard of by closing his shop for 2 days. So your pea brain tells you that it's only your people who mark the passing of their dead? For all your bleating about observance of the culture, I can assure you that well over 90% of your people would have resumed work in their shops/stalls/kiosks if they weren't scared of harrassment by touts. A big shame when a "mega city" is locked in the strangle hold of agberos and any whim they conjure. Culture/tradition my as.s.
I now know your grouse: the inclusion of Alaba, Ladipo, and others like them, where the Igbo trade. On kidnapping, you show how it is becoming a culture in the SE which should be celebrated above the closing markets to honour an Iyaloja. O ne me gi obi ojo.
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by Nobody: 11:07am On Jun 19, 2013
Like i said earlier. If anyone thinks his or her right is being Infringed, Get a lawyer and SUE the association of Market men and women of lagos or Keep quiet and whine in your house .
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by Nobody: 11:13am On Jun 19, 2013
Ola Johnson:
I now know your grouse: the inclusion of Alaba, Ladipo, and others like them, where the Igbo trade. On kidnapping, you show how it is becoming a culture in the SE which should be celebrated above the closing markets to honour an Iyaloja. O ne me gi obi ojo.

Some people are better ignore....his anger is understandable.People that don't agree to the custom should be excuse to open the markets in Alaba, Ladipo and any Ibo patronized markets.

But unfortunately for him...all his dogo turenshi and braying moves no one....
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by Nobody: 11:14am On Jun 19, 2013
Obi1kenobi: And for those who keep going on about culture, please comprehend the real grievance and quit the red herring evasive arguments. The aggrieved have no issue with observing the rites, the issue is with enforcing it on people with no ties whatsoever to it and infringing on basic rights of people by meddling with their livelihoods. It's just like people having no problem with owambe parties as long as the road isn't blocked by the show. Get it in its simplicity and quit mindlessly regurgitating the same fallacy over and over.

I didn't know markets in onitsha were closed too oo!

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by Obi1kenobi(m): 11:20am On Jun 19, 2013
Ola Johnson:
Once again, you clown, what does kidnapping in the SE have to do with the topic? What does pointing out its irrelevance to the topic under discussion have to do with celebrating it? You're a simpleton, aren't you? My grouse is that I went to Agboju at Festac to get foodstuff, only to find it's been shut for 2 days because of jobless thugs who ensured its closure. Learn to read and quit exposing your failed education.
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by Nobody: 11:49am On Jun 19, 2013
I think the problem on here is that most people don't understand what modernism and civilisation entail.

Modernism means contemporary. And since these old traditions are still in practise across Yorubaland; then they can be classified as modern as well.

And

Civilization: the social process whereby societies achieve an advanced stage of development and organization.
http://wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=civilisation

^^^Suffice to say; civilisation has to do with creating what you want/need from what you have and the organisation of an all inclusive society. It's growth and consciousness from within - with outside influence at the peripheral. And since Lagos is a Yoruba state; and Yoruba culture/tradition is Yoruba consciousness. I honestly don't see anything uncivilised about this particular event.

If you've got a problem with the practice, you might as well move to a place where you won't have to go through the same thing. That's the beauty of living in a diverse country.
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by Obi1kenobi(m): 12:38pm On Jun 19, 2013
However much we delude ourselves with phoney, chest-beating exhibitions looking to show our resistance to contemporary Western cultural influence and however much we look to rationalize the whole charade with fancy but sophist prose, the fact remains that any element of culture that has to be enforced by violent, jobless thugs that target the common man is uncivilized and retrogressive bu.llsh.it. Simple.
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by naptu2: 1:09pm On Jun 19, 2013
Reminds me of the "Trooping The Colour/Queen's Birthday" holiday.
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by Baawaa(m): 1:11pm On Jun 19, 2013
bory09: We have close our shop now, what is the benefit. I think lagos is a mega city competing to be cities like dubai, london, johannesburg. Is this how they close market there, did i say market, even those task force come to my forgotten street to close shop even when it comes to infrastructure they forget us but today they remembered us. Lagos is monopolise by tinubu and his ACN cohort that is for sure. If the tinubu himself die they will make it operation lock yourself inside. ACN ARE MADDAFUCKER THEIR OWN WORSE PASS GADAFFI.
That means PDP is worse than DEVIL
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by 0monnakoda: 1:12pm On Jun 19, 2013
Some people have tried to bulldoze their idea of what "Yoruba" culture is based on their circumscribed knowledge or desire to win an argument.
Culture is not fixed it evolves so things like aso ebi, spraying money etc are modern cultural manifestations of an underlying mindset but nevertheless are new. Some are even trying to sell the idea that Iyalode is the same thing as Iyaloja. It just does not hold water.Iyalode may not necessarily be a market woman and is a traditional chief that (in Lagos State) draws a salary along with others like Lisa, Apena Oluwo etc.

Iyalode is the LEADER OF WOMEN(ALL WOMEN) (First Lady) and is a traditional chief.
It is not a discretionary title given by Obas.
Iyalodes do NOT serve at the pleasure of the OBA and cannot be easily removed by them just like the Oluwo,Apena and others
Iyaloja on the other hand is NOT a palace appointment as many have argued but merely the leader of market women at specific markets. So Iyalode theoretically could be Iyaloja if she was a market woman eg Iyalodes Tinubu and Aniwura.
The concept of a leader or market associations in large cities such as modern Lagos is new.
We must remember that Lagos State was created in 1967 and much of it was previously in the Western Region e.g Epe,Ikorodu Ikeja and NOT in any way under the OBA of LAGOS(TILL NOW).

Those who would have us believe that there is great Homogeneity among the so called Yorubas would do well to tell us what Osemawe means and its origin in "Yoruba" or why the traditional titles in Ondo and Owo differ significantly from those seen in Oyo. Or why Ijebus consistently claim NOT to be Yoruba. Reality is OYO was an EMPIRE and they(and their close relatives) are the one who are "Yoruba" not the Ekitis or the Ondos and definitely NOT the Ijebus.
Regarding what happens when a great person dies there is no fixed pattern or precedent of what happens otherwise we would not be having this argument.There would be several ready examples to hand.

OBA OF LAGOS
How "Yoruba" is this institution or its many associations such as Eyo festival, white cap chiefs etc. ?
Today it is pragmatic to claim to be "Yoruba" but the reality is that the Oba of Lagos is as Yoruba as the Emir of Ilorin
Those who know history know this.Of course Lagos has become what it is today but the true "Yoruba" know the Oba of Lagos is not "Oba Alade" and the absurd titles that that institution has churned out over the years can not be used as reflective of "Yoruba" culture or norms

ABIBATU MOGAJI was a great woman and she was the leader of Market men and Women in the Western Region and later NIGERIA this was nothing to do with Oba of Lagos. She was a National figure,very influential particularly in mobilizing women for the Action Group,during Awo's trial and later for the UPN. She deserves to be honoured in personal recognition,lawfully of course,but this has nothing to do with Imagined "Yoruba " customs

Constitutionality of Market Closure

The state governments,unfortunately, have the power to declare public holidays road closures etc and when individuals feel these impinge on their constitutional rights they can seek redress.I do not think the constitution can anticipate in detail every scenario of human activity and only provides principles .In that sense the right question is not whether it is constitutional but lawful. I reserve my opinion on that
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by Nobody: 1:14pm On Jun 19, 2013
Obi1kenobi:
Once again, you clown, what does kidnapping in the SE have to do with the topic? What does pointing out its irrelevance to the topic under discussion have to do with celebrating it? You're a simpleton, aren't you? My grouse is that I went to Agboju at Festac to get foodstuff, only to find it's been shut for 2 days because of jobless thugs who ensured its closure. Learn to read and quit exposing your failed education.
Nobody was forced to close their shops. They only got to the markets and found out that probably security men that keep watch over them had been directed not to open their gates for business in honour of the dead Iyaloja. Get that into your plateau-like head.
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by naptu2: 1:28pm On Jun 19, 2013
The Lagos State Government did not close the markets.
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by Afam4eva(m): 1:30pm On Jun 19, 2013
naptu2: The Lagos State Government did not close the markets.
Nobody is accusing Lagos state of closing the market but they watched while people were bullied not to open their shops, so indirectly Lagos supported the closure. It's unconstitutional.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Kassim Afegbua Writes DSS, Queries Invitation / Court Orders Temporary Forfeiture Of Diezani's N325m Land In Lekki To FG / Court Asked To Sack Buhari’s Chief Of Staff Abba Kyari, Boss Mustapha

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.