Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,345 members, 7,819,224 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:00 PM

Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour (14582 Views)

What's Happening In Anambra, All the Markets Closed. / Tinubu’s Daughter To Replace Abibatu Mogaji As New ‘iyaloja’? / Tinubu’s Mother, Abibat Mogaji Is Dead (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by Nobody: 1:35pm On Jun 18, 2013
buJu-234:
if its PDP & GEJ... ACN & APC will call them bad names...

I still believe that ACN & APC are worse DEVIL than this funny GEJ & PDP govt.

Dunce....this is an apolitical event...nothing to do with parties....

Why are you guys so slow to learn?
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by Alexebo1(m): 1:35pm On Jun 18, 2013
firstolalekan:
www.placetopic@nairaland.com cheesy
am serious plz
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by babe4chi(f): 1:36pm On Jun 18, 2013
ilugunboy:

Sharraaappppp..if you can't stand the culture ...move out!
its lik something is disturbin u in ur brain Dnt quote me me again!

I wasn't referrin to u wen I commentd
Stupid mofo
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by Nobody: 1:38pm On Jun 18, 2013
pro01: Later, these oily hypocrites would come here to rant and cuss about how the President or First Lady's movement is causing hardship to "innocent" road users. What the Bleep is the business of my brothers in Alaba Market or Ladipo Market, or even in Idumota and elsewhere with the Mogaji or whoever that died? On what grounds should the markets be shut? Because her son happens to be the all-powerful Tinubu whose word is law in Lagos? If this is not abuse of power, then I don't know what is.
a billy goat must have urinated on your head when u were a kid. The tradition of market been shut down after the demise of a market leader has been in practice in lagos even before tinubu was born

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by OAM4J: 1:39pm On Jun 18, 2013
omonnakoda:
Not everywhere and Iyaloja /Oloja means different things to different Yorubas e.g it could mean simply King or Queen and not "leader of market women" as you seem to be saying Abibatu Mogaji was leader or Market women's associations in Western Nigeria and there is no precedence for that or how to mourn her demise

Are you sure you are a Yoruba? (No pun intended)

Iyaloja literally mean the Mother of the Market. Virtually every market in Yorubaland has an Iyaloja. Then you have the Iyaloja chieftancy title that comes from the palace who heads all the market-Iyalojas and by extension becomes the leader of all the markets women under the influence of the particular palace.

Abibat Mogaji was the title holder of Iyaloja of Lagos from the palace of Oba of Lagos till her death.

Iyalode and Iyaloja are two powerful women positions in every Yoruba kingdom.

7 Likes

Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by cytellProperty: 1:39pm On Jun 18, 2013
Complete Nonsense
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by Otono2(m): 1:41pm On Jun 18, 2013
If na GEJ do dis nw people 4 don finish am with mouth.. Hypocrites
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by bory09(m): 1:41pm On Jun 18, 2013
milehigh06:

I am edo,was born in lagos and grew up there and i do know that it is a tradition.they have market leaders of various market then they have the main iya of them all,i rem bariga been shut down years back when their leader died,my mom used to sell there
stop ranting jawe. Those street shop that those f¤ol are closing nko, are they market
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by Nobody: 1:44pm On Jun 18, 2013
babe4chi: its lik something is disturbin u in ur brain Dnt quote me me again!

I wasn't referrin to u wen I commentd
Stupid mofo

I repeat..get out of the place if you can't stand the tradition..

Look at this thing asking not to be quoted....even Seun dare not talk so...m0ron! angry
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by Nobody: 1:46pm On Jun 18, 2013
Katangora: It a normal tradition among the market union, when the market leader of a particular market dies,market is closed for at least 2 days as a mark of honour.. Now the market leader of d whole Nigeria has gone to meet her maker,all markets in the federation ll be closed as a mark of honour,that she is 97 does not change a thing..
Would her son Tinubu suspend the looting of lagos state today?

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by hardknockbroda(m): 1:49pm On Jun 18, 2013
Whenever a market leader dies, all d markets under him/her are locked to honour the leader this is not a new thing in our history so I don't knw why some pple are just whining (I guess its cos shez Tinubu's mum) ... Infact,when a shop owner dies in d market in my area d whole market is shut for a day.
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by Nobody: 1:51pm On Jun 18, 2013
hardknockbroda: Whenever a market leader dies, all d markets under him/her are locked to honour the leader this is not a new thing in our history so I don't knw why some pple are just whining (I guess its cos shez Tinubu's mum) ... Infact,when a shop owner dies in d market in my area d whole market is shut for a day.

The hatred for the son is been transferred to the poor dead elderly woman that is been honored by the usual haters....
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by babe4chi(f): 1:52pm On Jun 18, 2013
ilugunboy:

I repeat..get out of the place if you can't stand the tradition..

Look at this thing asking not to be quoted....even Seun dare not talk so...m0ron! angry
hahahahaaha,look at who is callin smone a thing?
What re u Non livin thing!

I no blame you! Na d hunger wey dey catch u dey mk u behave lik mad person.
Go outside go buy gala nd purewater eat!
scavenger!

1 Like

Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by omonnakoda: 1:53pm On Jun 18, 2013
OAM4J:

Are you sure you are a Yoruba? (No pun intended)

Iyaloja literally mean the Mother of the Market. Virtually every market in Yorubaland has an Iyaloja. Then you have the Iyaloja chieftancy title that comes from the palace who head all the market-Iyalojas and by extension becomes the leader of all the markets women under the influence of the particular palace.

Abibat Mogaji was the title holder of Iyaloja of Lagos from the palace of Oba of Lagos till her death.

Iyalode and Iyaloja are two powerful women positions in every Yoruba kingdom.
Do you know the meaning of the word pun ?
What or who is Yoruba and where is Yorubaland exactly better not talk about what you do not know? You are mixing up facts and half facts to arrive at what exactly.
What is the relevance of Iyalode here? Why did you not translate that too?
There is no such thing as universality of cultures in so called " Yorubaland" so please do not rewrite history. Iyaloja may be translated into "Mother of the Market" but it is a poor transliteration as markets do not have Mothers.
It is not the case across Yorubaland that Women dominated trading historically. The Ijebu men in particular were renowned traders and the concept of Iyaloja traditionally was the same as Iyalode in many places, How widespread is the concept of "OGBENI-OJA and what does this mean?
Efunsetan Aniwura was IYALODE and the leader of market women(NOT IYALOJA)

The fact is Iyaloja means or meant different things to different Yoruba at different times and its meaning and influence changed with Abibatu Mogaji. She was the leader of market women and (MEN) a recent and significant development
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by dridowu: 1:54pm On Jun 18, 2013
OAM4J:

Whenever a king or an Iyaloja dies in any Yoruba town, the markets under them are closed for a day or more in their honour. This has been a practice from time memorial.
Thank you and God Bless you but some people won't still understand
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by Nobody: 1:54pm On Jun 18, 2013
babe4chi: hahahahaaha,look at who is callin smone a thing?
What re u Non livin thing!

I no blame you! Na d hunger wey dey catch u dey mk u behave lik mad person.
Go outside go buy gala nd purewater eat!
scavenger!

I don't fancy doing back and forth with people that write like kids.

Now I've noticed you..can you please stop derailing the thread further...you've done enough already.
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by safejourney: 1:54pm On Jun 18, 2013
R.I.P, Alhaja Mogaji, You deserve this honour.
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by Nobody: 1:55pm On Jun 18, 2013
bory09: We have close our shop now, what is the benefit. I think lagos is a mega city competing to be cities like dubai, london, johannesburg. Is this how they close market there, did i say market, even those task force come to my forgotten street to close shop even when it comes to infrastructure they forget us but today they remembered us. Lagos is monopolise by tinubu and his ACN cohort that is for sure. If the tinubu himself die they will make it operation lock yourself inside. ACN ARE MADDAFUCKER THEIR OWN WORSE PASS GADAFFI.
Go to 3mb and dive into the Lagoon if na so e de pain you.
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by thelastPope(m): 1:59pm On Jun 18, 2013
OAM4J:

Whenever a king or an Iyaloja dies in any Yoruba town, the markets under them are closed for a day or more in their honour. This has been a practice from time memorial.

hardknockbroda: Whenever a market leader dies, all d markets under him/her are locked to honour the leader this is not a new thing in our history so I don't knw why some pple are just whining (I guess its cos shez Tinubu's mum) ... Infact,when a shop owner dies in d market in my area d whole market is shut for a day.

What nonsense 11th century history or tradition is that? I thought you all want to modernise the SW? I thought you are building a mega city? So when you finish eko atlantic city and it becomes the new Dubai and people from all over the world move there, you will ask them to close their shops because someone died? Why cant you make up your mind if you want to move into the future or return to the prehistoric flintstones?

5 Likes

Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by Odunharry(m): 1:59pm On Jun 18, 2013
alaba intl didnt open 4 tday,the banks there n sm oda shops near there....many pipu wl go hungry tday..
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by babe4chi(f): 2:01pm On Jun 18, 2013
ilugunboy:

I don't fancy doing back and forth with people that write like kids.

Now I've noticed you..can you please stop derailing the thread further...you've done enough already.
u started it by quoting nd insultin me...
I didn't mention ur name.
Nxt time,mind ur business nd stay on ur lane!
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by Nobody: 2:02pm On Jun 18, 2013
thelastPope:

What nonsense 11th century history or tradition is that? I thought you all want to modernise the SW? I thought you are building a mega city? So when you finish eko atlantic city and it becomes the new Dubai and people forn all over the world move there, you will ask them to close their shops because someone died? Why cant you make up your mind if you want to move into the future or return to the prehistoric flintstones?

You know what?

Why not leave what they do in Lagos and stay with your PDP bullshytee?

Why are you bothering your head with what becomes of Eko Atalantic?

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by deols(f): 2:02pm On Jun 18, 2013
when a tailor(not even their leader) died in my neighbourhood, all tailor shops were closed down.

This is just normal.

R.I.p mama. Now I see Habibat Tinubu was given her name.
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by idonchop: 2:02pm On Jun 18, 2013
KGB2008: @ Musiwa,then this the first Market Leader that died in Lagos.I have reside in Lagos for over 15 years and market has never been shut down for any of those reason?A 97 years woman ? shocked
Then it means u r not observant,it's very common in Lag
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by Nobody: 2:03pm On Jun 18, 2013
babe4chi: u started it by quoting nd insultin me...
I didn't mention ur name.
Nxt time,mind ur business nd stay on ur lane!

Get outta of here with your Tecno phone typing.. angry

1 Like

Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by Odunharry(m): 2:03pm On Jun 18, 2013
Chasitty001:

Can somebody please confirm that if you have visited that area today.
4 alaba,dy didnt open tday...i wantd 2 go 2 bank ard bt was suprised none of dm open...many shops were closed today..evn those not in alaba intl.
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by thelastPope(m): 2:03pm On Jun 18, 2013
Katangora: It a normal tradition among the market union, when the market leader of a particular market dies,market is closed for at least 2 days as a mark of honour.. Now the market leader of d whole Nigeria has gone to meet her maker,all markets in the federation ll be closed as a mark of honour,that she is 97 does not change a thing..

What is normal about such a prehistoric practice. huh! Are you for real! And you will later post that politicians are the problem. Something is not right amongst some of you youths
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by dridowu: 2:06pm On Jun 18, 2013
@ilugunboy, sm pple would never undastand no matter how hard u tell them the truth, dy prefer to work on d false lane.
@topic, dy dnt only honour market leaders if dy dies but also oda market colleague if he/she dies.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by babe4chi(f): 2:07pm On Jun 18, 2013
ilugunboy:

Get outta of here with your Tecno phone typing.. angry
u must b very very foolish!
Is nairaland ur father's property
Y shuld I get out?

mr man! Go hide urself inside soakaway!
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by omonnakoda: 2:07pm On Jun 18, 2013
thelastPope:

What is normal about such a prehistoric practice. huh! Are you for real! And you will later post that politicians are the problem. Something is not right amongst some of you youths
Good question ,what is normal about circumcision
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by Nobody: 2:09pm On Jun 18, 2013
babe4chi: u must b very very foolish!
Is nairaland ur father's property
Y shuld I get out?

mr man! Go hide urself inside soakaway!

Seems you really don't want to respect yourself as a lady this afternoon....

Your writing is awful...for a lady.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

2019: PDP Panel Grills Atiku, Saraki, Makarfi, Others Thursday / Gbade Ojo Urges Tinubu To Reconcile With Afenifere Ahead Of 2023 / UNIBEN Management Appeals For Calm Over Students’ Clash With Soldiers On Campus

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.