Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,333 members, 7,819,143 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:54 AM

Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour - Politics (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour (14580 Views)

What's Happening In Anambra, All the Markets Closed. / Tinubu’s Daughter To Replace Abibatu Mogaji As New ‘iyaloja’? / Tinubu’s Mother, Abibat Mogaji Is Dead (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by Obi1kenobi(m): 1:35pm On Jun 19, 2013
Ola Johnson:
Nobody was forced to close their shops. They only got to the markets and found out that probably security men that keep watch over them had been directed not to open their gates for business in honour of the dead Iyaloja. Get that into your plateau-like head.
So it still comes back to being forced to shut their business, whether by closing market gates or closing their shops. You see why I told you to quit exposing your failed education? The 2 markets I drove through, including Agboju had their gates wide open but all stalls were shut with touts patrolling. Can you now quit embarrassing yourself and drag your head out of Tinubu's bum hole and see clearly?
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by Nobody: 1:38pm On Jun 19, 2013
Obi1kenobi:
So it still comes back to being forced to shut their business, whether by closing market gates or closing their shops. You see why I told you to quit exposing your failed education? The 2 markets I drove through, including Agboju had their gates wide open but all stalls were shut with touts patrolling. Can you now quit embarrassing yourself and drag your head out of Tinubu's bum hole and see clearly?
Nwa nne, ura na tu gi.
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by 0monnakoda: 1:46pm On Jun 19, 2013
We all know that Nigerians organize themselves in associations and often these association are like gods to their members whether spare part sellers or Ogu leave sellers sometimes issuing punishments like fines or even public flogging to members. We should not pretend not to know this. If any bullying takes place then it is done by associations or miscreants and people who are aggrieved should go to court.
I did read at least one report that government agreed to a closure but this needs to be verified.The issue is NOT constitutionality but lawfulness really.
Is it constitutional to give Ojukwu a state burial? Clearly that is a ridiculous question since the constitution does not know Ojukwu.
In asking "is it constitutional? it is important to be clear what constitutional means.
Our constitution has many lacuna that need to be resolved eg sharia law declaration,First lady issues,traditional rights of women,Native law and aboriginal rights etc. These ultimately are political issues which we have avoided but will have to confront one day
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by Afam4eva(m): 1:50pm On Jun 19, 2013
0monnakoda: We all know that Nigerians organize themselves in associations and often these association are like gods to their members whether spare part sellers or Ogu leave sellers sometimes issuing punishments like fines or even public flogging to members. We should not pretend not to know this. If any bullying takes place then it is done by associations or miscreants and people who are aggrieved should go to court.
I did read at least one report that government agreed to a closure but this needs to be verified.The issue is NOT constitutionality but lawfulness really.
Is it constitutional to give Ojukwu a state burial? Clearly that is a ridiculous question since the constitution does not know Ojukwu.
In asking "is it constitutional? it is important to be clear what constitutional means
Ojukwu was giving a state burial because he was a military man and rose to one of the highest positions in the Nigerian army. You guys should just stop arguing. You're embarrassing yourselves.

Meanwhile, were you not banned before?
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by 0monnakoda: 1:53pm On Jun 19, 2013
Afam4eva:
Ojukwu was giving a state burial because he was a military man and rose to one of the highest positions in the Nigerian army. You guys should just stop arguing. You're embarrassing yourselves.

Clearly an emotional response,so easy to press your buttons
Please read and understand before embarassing your self did I argue against the burial or for it I am pointing out that the constitution cannot anticipate every scenario so because the constitution does not mention it does NOT make it unconstitutional.
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by Afam4eva(m): 1:55pm On Jun 19, 2013
0monnakoda:
Clearly an emotional response
Please read and understand before embarassing your self did I argue against the burial[ or for it I am pointing out that the constitution cannot anticipate every scenario so because the constitution does not mention it does NOT make it unconstitutional.
I'm also not arguing against the burial but against the closing of markets because of someone that has no place in the constitution.
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by 0monnakoda: 1:56pm On Jun 19, 2013
Afam4eva:
I'm also not arguing against the burial but against the closing of markets because of someone that has no place in the constitution.
did you read my post before responding at all
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by Nobody: 1:58pm On Jun 19, 2013
Afam4eva:

Point of correction, Ojukwu was a Lieutenant-Colonel.
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by 0monnakoda: 1:59pm On Jun 19, 2013
Afam4eva:
but you are happy for the closing of streets for the first lady No you are arguing FOR the burial. I have NOT expressed a position but that eluded you
And if the person is mentioned in the constitution closing markets is OKAY ??
Anyway I don't want to be misunderstood,I have not argued in support of the closure or against it.On both sides the arguments being put forward are emotional and do not do justice to what should be a good debate. What we have is emotional responses like yours that do not even bother to understand what they are responding to and ditto for your opponents.
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by Afam4eva(m): 1:59pm On Jun 19, 2013
Ola Johnson:
Point of correction, Ojukwu was a Lieutenant-Colonel.
Where did i state otherwise?
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by Nobody: 2:02pm On Jun 19, 2013
0monnakoda: We all know that Nigerians organize themselves in associations and often these association are like gods to their members whether spare part sellers or Ogu leave sellers sometimes issuing punishments like fines or even public flogging to members. We should not pretend not to know this. If any bullying takes place then it is done by associations or miscreants and people who are aggrieved should go to court.
In asking "is it constitutional? it is important to be clear what constitutional means.
Our constitution has many lacuna that need to be resolved eg sharia law declaration,First lady issues,traditional rights of women,Native law and aboriginal rights etc. These ultimately are political issues which we have avoided but will have to confront one day
My friend, what is not constitutional may not necessarily be unconstitutional. Think about it.
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by 0monnakoda: 2:03pm On Jun 19, 2013
Ola Johnson:
My friend, what is not constitutional may not necessarily be unconstitutional. Think about it.
I agree have I said otherwise that was exactly my point with Ojukwu's burial which seems rather deep for Afam to grasp.
The correct question is whether it is lawful.What is not lawful is unlawful
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by Nobody: 2:08pm On Jun 19, 2013
Afam4eva:
Where did i state otherwise?
You said he rose to one of the highest ranks. The rank of a lt-col is a middle rank. Yes, he made himself a general in the "Biafran" army, as far as I know that is non-existent.
During his recall and David Marks into the Nigerian Army, Ojukwu said he felt belittled being referred to as a lt-col.
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by Afam4eva(m): 2:26pm On Jun 19, 2013
Ola Johnson:
You said he rose to one of the highest ranks. The rank of a lt-col is a middle rank. Yes, he made himself a general in the "Biafran" army, as far as I know that is non-existent.
During his recall and David Marks into the Nigerian Army, Ojukwu said he felt belittled being referred to as a lt-col.
There you have it. I don't know why you guys always see the need to argue over everything.
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by phineas: 2:30pm On Jun 19, 2013
@omonaakoda,

Iyaloja's have always been a part of the kings council,long before the british and after the british rule till date.

Pls note regardless of diff in beliefs as regards the origin of the yorubas in diverse areas of the yoruba kingdom,there remains a market similarity in the system of governance.

Pls note every Yoruba province as an oja oba,be it ijebu,akure,ekiti,or lagos.and every ojo oba has an iyaloja that sits on the kings council.
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by phineas: 2:36pm On Jun 19, 2013
@omonakoda,

Reading material-

women in yoruba history

Wole soyinkas -death and the kings horseman(said to be based on a true life incident)

So you don't use the left hand to describe the yoruba pple.
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by naptu2: 2:43pm On Jun 19, 2013
Afam4eva:
Nobody is accusing Lagos state of closing the market but they watched while people were bullied not to open their shops, so indirectly Lagos supported the closure. It's unconstitutional.

If anybody was harassed, bullied, etc to close shop, that person has the right to report the matter to the police (note, a federal police force) and to go to court to enforce his or her fundamental rights.
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by 0monnakoda: 2:45pm On Jun 19, 2013
phineas: @omonakoda,

Reading material-

women in yoruba history

Wole soyinkas -death and the kings horseman(said to be based on a true life incident)

So you don't use the left hand to describe the yoruba pple.

Probably read that before you were born and your point is ??
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by Nobody: 2:56pm On Jun 19, 2013
Afam4eva:
There you have it. I don't know why you guys always see the need to argue over everything.
I only need one thing from you, tell me whether or not, with points, I'm wrong.
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by 0monnakoda: 2:56pm On Jun 19, 2013
Afam4eva:
Second time you are saying this you said it when you quoted me and you do not even have the decency to admit you reacted wrongly.
I am not part of any guys.If you follow this thread from top to bottom you will observe I have been neutral but your TRIBAL thinking always sees things through a them versus me prism. Those who have been arguing with you have been arguing with me. I argue for logic and rationality which has been lacking all round.
So I ask you again,Which guys exactly or is that just your reflex tribalism at work again
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by Nobody: 2:59pm On Jun 19, 2013
Afam4ever, you're a moderator, right? I want to draw your attention to the thread, "The Village Mourners - Wole Soyinka"; give it front page.
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by 0monnakoda: 3:00pm On Jun 19, 2013
Yes that is a good one and deserves front page
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by EkoIle1: 3:04pm On Jun 19, 2013
Afam4eva:

What's constitution got to do with our traditions and cultural practicies? The Market association is a self governing body and they run their markets administratively their way. Apart from tax collection, safety and sanitary inspections, no state constitution dictates to the market folks per when they close, open or honor their leaders, you don't and the federal or state constitution don't so what's the noise about really.

You people argue lamely and blindly just for the heck of it with zero sense..
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by tpia5: 3:40pm On Jun 19, 2013
must people whine about everything?

this is annoying.
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by tpia5: 3:43pm On Jun 19, 2013
Did anyone complain?

Xmas: Igbos Desert Lagos

Even the popular Auto Spare Parts Market (ASPMDA) located at the Lagos International Trade complex would be closed to customers from today. The market will only reopen in the first week of January

https://www.nairaland.com/371471/xmas-igbos-desert-lagos

Igbo Market In India To Close On March 2

The Igbo market on Mohammed Ali Road, Mumbai, India, will be shut-down on March 2 in honour of the late Ikemba Nnewi, Dim Chukwuemeka Odumegwu-Ojukwu.

https://www.nairaland.com/882840/igbo-market-india-close-march
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by 0monnakoda: 4:09pm On Jun 19, 2013
tpia@:
must people whine about everything?

this is annoying.
Good so stop whining
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by phineas: 4:35pm On Jun 19, 2013
@omonakoda,
Your mouth and your manners are both loose.

This is about a pple and a culture,The point is reign in your tongue just a bit and read.Read your posts all thru this topic,read on corrections,read the books higlighted,The Iyaloja post goes beyond the 21st century market associations,in death and the kings horsemen you see the then iyaloja speak up and got recorded in the 1930's as the british tried to influence the culture of the people,
You see she had a position of immense influence and she's always been part of the kings council

But then you've read this books you said.so your utterances so far is best described as micheivious,

You should grow up.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by DuduNegro: 5:03pm On Jun 19, 2013
You know, if i were a Yoruba trader in Onitsha and MASSOB's sit at home order has nothing to do with my ethnicity but my shop was closed to enforce the order i would do one of three things.

1. If im displeased and feel my rights were infringedi will ask my lawyer to sue the city coucil.

2. If im terribly annoyed and upset at ibo people for forcing me to observe the injunction of an ethnic group which i am not a member of, then i will relocate to Yorubaland or Hausaland or Kanuriland.

3. If it doesnt bother me then i will observe the order out of respect and open my shop next day for business.

A lot of my ibo brothers here are in the 2 category but the sweetness of this Land of Milk and Honey is too muvh for them to leave. They want to destroy what thy cant have.
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by tpia5: 5:31pm On Jun 19, 2013
the fact is, everybody who is somebody, is commemorating at this time.

everybody who is a nonentity, is not.

so, there's nothing wrong with being a nonentity, just dont disturb people because of it.
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by Nobody: 11:32am On Jun 20, 2013
The real Igbos that trade in the market complied and even went to the extra length of placing full page advertorials in major newspapers

Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by farem: 7:15am On Jun 22, 2013
I am not in support of compulsory closing of market for any reason except civic reason like sanitation. My question is: Why will MASSOB order people to close market in East and elsewhere when it has nothing to do with them. In the recent past, people have been killed, maimed because of this senseless movement. [senseless to me because it has not helped us politically. Rather people are being seeing as unrepentant rebels among the other tribes. Yet, the close observation reveals that they are self-seeking, taking advantage of ordinary business-focused and law abiding igbos. I hereby PRONOUNCE THIS CLOSURE UNLAWFUL AND ILLEGAL!

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

No New Roads For Nigeria Until Existing Projects Are Completed – Fashola / INEC CVR Update: Quarter 4, WK 15 As At 7am, Monday 25th July 2022 / "There Will Be No Electronic Voting In 2019"-mahmood Yakubu, INEC Chairman Says

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.