Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,688 members, 7,816,800 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:33 PM

Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour (14574 Views)

What's Happening In Anambra, All the Markets Closed. / Tinubu’s Daughter To Replace Abibatu Mogaji As New ‘iyaloja’? / Tinubu’s Mother, Abibat Mogaji Is Dead (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by DuduNegro: 8:35pm On Jun 18, 2013
thelastPope:

What is stup1d about the question? What is stup1d here is that in 2013, billions of naira of businesses will be shut down because one woman died! Even the queen of England will not be buried like that. Who is she? Most people in Lagos didnt even know she existed until one week ago! You come here to defend a barbaric and meaningless act just because you have to defend Tinubu yet you will quickly jump to other thread and criticize other people. Shame on your blatant hypocrisy!

How many billions were shut down in businesses few days ago when MASSOB declared sit at home for the death of criminals floating down ezu river?
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by Afam4eva(m): 8:41pm On Jun 18, 2013
Dudu_Negro:

How many billions were shut down in businesses few days ago when MASSOB declared sit at home for the death of criminals floating down ezu river?
That MASSOB did it doesn't make it right and i condemned Massob's action not because it's not right to honour the dead just like this case but the fact that people are threatened to do so or else...
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by DuduNegro: 8:46pm On Jun 18, 2013
OAM4J:

She was not just the mother of Tinubu, long before Tinubu became known, joined NADECo, became a senator and later a governor, there was a powerful Iyaloja of Lagos, Alhaja Abibat Mogaji.

You might need to read up on the functions and powers of an Iyaloja though.

A lot of people think she became influential because she was Tinubu's mother whereas this woman had been dining with kings and head of states long before Tinubu became anything.

Chairman,

These guys have no clue. They claim thy were born in Lagos and they are therefore Lagosians but outside of Alaba they lack knowledge of Lagos. They lack proper footing of a Lagos citizen and they wonder why we label them migrants. How many Hausa people you see questioning the closure of market to pay respect to Iyaloja?

1 Like

Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by Nobody: 8:53pm On Jun 18, 2013
Afam4eva:
If she was the head of the market then it may be understandable but i want to know if the market people were forced or they just chose to...For instance, if i sell tomato in a market and i choose to go to the market on that day, what will happen?
You are on your own.
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by thelastPope(m): 8:53pm On Jun 18, 2013
Dudu_Negro:

You always claim you are civilized and that you are an intellectual, yet you keep posting backward stuff like these. Please read the topic of this thread again and tell me if there is any word like massob there. If you cannot defend something with good reason, simply pass instead of exposing yourself. So if massob commit a crime, you will go and commit it too? Isnt it you and your likes here that like insulting FG and people from other places for such impunity? What moral right do you have to criticize anyone anymore after all these your series of posts? Shameful
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by DuduNegro: 8:58pm On Jun 18, 2013
Afam4eva:
That MASSOB did it doesn't make it right and i condemned Massob's action not because it's not right to honour the dead just like this case but the fact that people are threatened to do so or else...

Can you deny that the action of MASSOB brought about a new awakening for the Igbo identity? No, you cannot! The internet was flooded with Igbos who acclaimed the action as a unifying rouse and a new motivation for their spirit.

Constitution is a guide for the social order but it does not address everything in society. Should we include a statute in our constitution about Iyaloja in Yorubaland? Should we draft a "sit-at-home" clause for the constitution? We will be a joke of the democratic world. Thanksgiving is a time when businesses in US shut down but we cant find a "Thanksgiving Statute" anywherw in their constitution. Humans make laws. Laws are derivatives of our social exchanges. The law on Iyaloja is customary and rooted in the land, unless the Obas say otherwise, no President or Governor or Constitution can change it.
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by Afam4eva(m): 9:01pm On Jun 18, 2013
Dudu_Negro:

Can you deny that the action of MASSOB brought about a new awakening for the Igbo identity? No, you cannot! The internet was flooded with Igbos who acclaimed the action as a unifying rouse and a new motivation for their spirit.

Constitution is a guide for the social order but it does not address everything in society. Should we include a statute in our constitution about Iyaloja in Yorubaland? Should we draft a "sit-at-home" clause for the constitution? We will be a joke of the democratic world. Thanksgiving is a time when businesses in US shut down but we cant find a "Thanksgiving Statute" anywherw in their constitution. Humans make laws. Laws are derivatives of our social exchanges. The law on Iyaloja is customary and rooted in the land, unless the Obas say otherwise, no President or Governor or Constitution can change it.

If you think the constitution does not address everything in the society then you're withing your right as a Nigerian to take your case to the National Assembly. Until then, the constitution is supreme to any emotional and pedestrian law.
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by Nobody: 9:02pm On Jun 18, 2013
Our culture and tradition just have to be upheld. Simple.
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by DuduNegro: 9:03pm On Jun 18, 2013
thelastPope:

You always claim you are civilized and that you are an intellectual, yet you keep posting backward stuff like these. Please read the topic of this thread again and tell me if there is any word like massob there. If you cannot defend something with good reason, simply pass instead of exposing yourself. So if massob commit a crime, you will go and commit it too? Isnt it you and your likes here that like insulting FG and people from other places for such impunity? What moral right do you have to criticize anyone anymore after all these your series of posts? Shameful

Inter-personal exchanges cannot be contained in a box. It swings. When you throw out a thought it feeds counter thoughts which are thrown back. There is no limit to how far or broad one can go to borrow experience to illustrate a point. There is no protocol on Nairaland that says i cannot use the MASSOB's "sit at home" experience as a counter thought to what you said about loss of income on market closure to respect Iyaloja.

Think next time before you throw your thoughts out....it feeds counter thoughts.
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by thelastPope(m): 9:05pm On Jun 18, 2013
Ola Johnson: Our culture and tradition just have to be upheld. Simple.

Just like the culture and tradition that Boko Haram are advocating. Do you know it is actually a tradition for someone to go on a Jihad and kill others?
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by DuduNegro: 9:07pm On Jun 18, 2013
Afam4eva:
If you think the constitution does not address everything in the society then you're withing your right as a Nigerian to take your case to the National Assembly. Until then, the constitution is supreme to any emotional and pedestrian law.

If constitution is supreme then the constitution has not outlawed the practice of Yoruba customs and has definitely not said the market of Lagos cannot be shutdown to pay respect to Iyaloja.

When the constitution says we cannot practice our customs we will obey its supreme order. Until then, Yoruba customs is Supreme in Yorubaland.
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by misterh(m): 9:09pm On Jun 18, 2013
thelastPope:

It proves absolutely nothing. This your 19th century theory is nothing but laughable! Nobody owns anywhere. I repeat, nobody owns anywhere! Wake up from your slumber. You live in a one room face me I slap you apartment and come to a public forum claiming you own Lagos. Oya, go out on the street now and enter any shop and pick whatever you like and walk away, because you own Lagos... grin

You only own the lean change in your bank account and the 4 pairs of Jeans hanging by your bed and that tokunbo TV you picked up from Ladipo, nothing else! Stop deluding yourself! The owners of Lagos are anyone, no matter the tribe, who has made enough money to buy a cool Land in Ikoyi or Lekki phase 1 or Palmgrove Estate, Alaka Estate, Ogudu GRA, Ikeja GRA, etc and runs an office on the Island or Allen avenue. That is how to own Lagos. Not this your poverty strikken ownership theory you are spewing here. The whole world has moved past that. Dont Nigerians in the UK fight for their rights and become leaders of society? Havent Nigerians in America become mayors? You better slap yourself 3 times and go wash your sleepy face so you can wake up to reality... grin grin grin
You dont know me and yet you have concluded those things about me- picking up a tokunbo tv, living in a one-room apartment etc. LMAO. I only said that the Yorubas own Lagos. A non-Yoruba will be respected in Lagos if he's successful. What i opined is that for those who believe Lag is a no-man's land, they are wrong. Going by this Iyaloja ish, Lagos is a Yorubaland and it follows Yoruba culture.
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by thelastPope(m): 9:12pm On Jun 18, 2013
Dudu_Negro:

Inter-personal exchanges cannot be contained in a box. It swings. When you throw out a thought it feeds counter thoughts which are thrown back. There is no limit to how far or broad one can go to borrow experience to illustrate a point. There is no protocol on Nairaland that says i cannot use the MASSOB's "sit at home" experience as a counter thought to what you said about loss of income on market closure to respect Iyaloja.

Think next time before you throw your thoughts out....it feeds counter thoughts.

Baseless and futile rigmarole. Your reference to Massob only exposed your bigot ways!

stick to the topic joor and stop flip-flopping! The next time someone offends you on the street, take them to the Oba. Why do you even bother to go to school? Your tradition says you should be tending a yam farm in your Ijebu village. Yeye
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by Nobody: 9:15pm On Jun 18, 2013
thelastPope:

Just like the culture and tradition that Boko Haram are advocating. Do you know it is actually a tradition for someone to go on a Jihad and kill others?
I don't know anything about BH's killing being a tradition or culture. If you do, you may let the FG know.
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by DuduNegro: 9:18pm On Jun 18, 2013
thelastPope:

Baseless and futile rigmarole. Your reference to Massob only exposed your bigot ways!

stick to the topic joor and stop flip-flopping! The next time someone offends you on the street, take them to the Oba. Why do you even bother to go to school? Your tradition says you should be tending a yam farm in your Ijebu village. Yeye

Lmao. Thank you. I will think about the farming option, i love yams very much. cheesy
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by thelastPope(m): 9:22pm On Jun 18, 2013
Dudu_Negro:

Lmao. Thank you. I will think about the farming option, i love yams very much. cheesy

Honestly, you guys have no shame, it is pathetic. One minute, you are talking about modernization, the other minute, you are talking about mausqurades closing down markets and women banned from the streets. Why cant you make up your darn minds. You claim you are educated but reason like a motor park guy. Very sad!
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by Nobody: 9:23pm On Jun 18, 2013
If the Igbo could observe the sit-at-home order declared by MASSOB in the SE in far away Lagos, then their complaint that the closure of markets in honour of the Iyaloja as being bad holds no water.
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by thelastPope(m): 9:31pm On Jun 18, 2013
Ola Johnson: If the Igbo could observe the sit-at-home order declared by MASSOB in the SE in far away Lagos, then their complaint that the closure of markets in honour of the Iyaloja as being bad holds no water.

stop being a tribalist my friend. Where did you hear that it is Igbos that are complaining. Are all the shops in Lagos owned by Igbos? Are all those who couldnt buy food since morning Igbos? Your tribalistic head cannot think straight again! Sad
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by DuduNegro: 9:50pm On Jun 18, 2013
thelastPope:

Honestly, you guys have no shame, it is pathetic. One minute, you are talking about modernization, the other minute, you are talking about mausqurades closing down markets and women banned from the streets. Why cant you make up your darn minds. You claim you are educated but reason like a motor park guy. Very sad!

Modernization is not the same as urbanization.

Britain has continously modernized its cities. New York has continously modernized its cities and laws. None of the two has yet to jettison its cultural institutions.

Urbanization on the other hand, like when you migrated from village to come live in the city, you had to start putting on clothes and talk like city people and eat like city people and act like city people. You abandoned your old village backward ways.

You need to enroll in my academy so i can school you on social values. You speak english but you are a stark illiterate when it comes to the structures ofsociety. cheesy
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by Nobody: 9:52pm On Jun 18, 2013
thelastPope:

stop being a tribalist my friend. Where did you hear that it is Igbos that are complaining. Are all the shops in Lagos owned by Igbos? Are all those who couldnt buy food since morning Igbos? Your tribalistic head cannot think straight again! Sad

So far ..no Yoruba man or woman is complaining .....like I keep telling you..it's a Yoruba culture in a Yoruba land..learn to respect it for mutual benefit and peaceful co-existence otherwise you will regret it if you go against it...no constitution whatsoever will defend you.

It will be stupid of me as a Yoruba man to go or do anything against Omenala ndi Igbo in Igbo land.
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by thelastPope(m): 9:58pm On Jun 18, 2013
Dudu_Negro:

Modernization is not the same as urbanization.

Britain has continously modernized its cities. New York has continously modernized its cities and laws. None of the two has yet to jettison its cultural institutions.

Urbanization on the other hand, like when you migrated from village to come live in the city, you had to start putting on clothes and talk like city people and eat like city people and act like city people. You abandoned your old village backward ways.

You need to enroll in my academy so i can school you on social values. You speak english but you are a stark illiterate when it comes to the structures ofsociety. cheesy

Can you please mention one British cultural practice that infringes on peoples fundamental rights? I am waiting!
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by thelastPope(m): 10:02pm On Jun 18, 2013
ilugunboy:

So far ..no Yoruba man or woman is complaining .....like I keep telling you..it's a Yoruba culture in a Yoruba land..learn to respect it for mutual benefit and peaceful co-existence otherwise you will regret it if you go against it...no constitution whatsoever will defend you.

It will be stupid of me as a Yoruba man to go or do anything against Omenala ndi Igbo in Igbo land.

Where did you do the poll that showed no Yoruba man is complaining? You never stop to spew this your falacy. The last time I checked, ACN did not get 100% votes in any state. They lost Ondo, Got less than half the votes in both Oyo and Ogun and you keep spewing this fake propaganda that claims you are speaking for the Yoruba. ACN even lost some LGAs in Lagos and had to rig. Speak for yourself bro. You cant even speak for your family not to talk of Yoruba as a whole!
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by Nobody: 10:05pm On Jun 18, 2013
thelastPope:

Where did you do the poll that showed no Yoruba man is complaining? You never stop to spew this your falacy. The last time I checked, ACN did not get 100% votes in any state. They lost Ondo, Got less than half the votes in both Oyo and Ogun and you keep spewing this fake propaganda that claims you are speaking for the Yoruba. ACN even lost some LGAs in Lagos and had to rig. Speak for yourself bro. You cant even speak for your family not to talk of Yoruba as a whole!

Well the onus is on you to show who are complaining....Yorubas know without being told or force that they have to observe such a closure...its their culture..its part of what made them different from other tribes..its part of what define them..respecting the dead in death...to them losing one day profit in honor of their leader aren't big deal....

Stop bringing in party politics into it...it's an apolitical issue...more of tradition than politics.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by thelastPope(m): 10:12pm On Jun 18, 2013
ilugunboy:

Well the onus is on you to show who are complaining....Yorubas know without being told or force that they have to observe such a closure...to them losing one day profit in honor of their leader aren't big deal....

You just use the word Yoruba indiscriminately as if Yorubas only reside in Isaleko!... grin

The Egba man does not even flow with the Ijebu man, yet you keep saying the Yorubas. You are a joke!... grin
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by thelastPope(m): 10:14pm On Jun 18, 2013
The Ijebu And The Egba People Didn’t Consider Themselves As One, Talk Less Of As Yoruba – Ribadu Addresses ABU Students

JUNE 8, 2013 AT 4:24 PM

Political Engagement: A New Approach

BY
MALLAM NUHU RIBADU, mni

BEING AN ADDRESS DELIVERED AT A PUBLIC LECTURE ORGANISED BY THE STUDENTS REPRESENTATIVE COUNCIL (SRC), AHMADU BELLO UNIVERSITY (ABU) ZARIA WITH THE THEME “YOUTH: THE FULCRUM OF EVERY SOCIETY”ON SATURDAY JUNE 8, 2013

Protocols…

I confess to feeling inspired with every visit to this institution that shaped my perception of lifeand grounded my entire intellectual development. This intellectual development is not only a debt I owe to my teachers who have formed me but a challenge to me to go out there and influence society for the benefit of those to come. For this, I must say thank you! I thank my teachers, of the academic, the moral and even the political, who showed me the virtues of honesty and commitment to serving humanity. And for the students who consider me a model worthy of their time and regard today, my gratitude to you is as large as our great institution. We are gathered under this shade today because somebody found the wisdom to lay the foundation for this institution. Ahmadu Bello University is an institution with a weight of history that challenges us to do justice to whatever comes our way. We learn, from this, that at any time in history, someone has to make a sacrifice for successive generations. Our diversity in this prestigious institution, across ethnicities, religions and regions, stimulated by remainders of the legacies of Sir Ahmadu Bello, the Sardauna of Sokoto, after whom our institution is named, instills an all-inclusive spirit in us such that we end up as tolerant and understanding wherever we find ourselves in private and public engagements. You must consider yourselves lucky for being a part of these distinguished Nigerians as among you I see future political leaders,advocates of change, captains of industry and technocrats—the hope of our country!

As philosophers teach, everything changes. So we don’t need a political philosopher to spell out that there is dynamism in our politics. Our politics is an interpretation of who we are, what we are and the things we stand for. The presently unclear phase of our political disharmony is the issue we must reflect on today—and that we must do together. The dynamism of modern politics is one further excited by the reality of the internet and a consequent increased participation of the youth in political and civic matters. But the place of the youth in our democratic space is jeopardised when the elite in our State decide to model our government after a gerontocracy—a government by the old and for the elderly. Ours is a system in which new and modern ideas are denied a chance to grow and mature. The tragedy of our democracy is that it is one in which the yearnings of the youth are stamped down in order to perpetuate a tyranny of interests. Tyranny it is when a certain slim range of people impose their private interests on the majority; tyranny it is when the agents of change are left on the cliffs of unemployment, poverty, insecurity, substandard education and, worse still, policies destroyed by our heritage of corruptions.

It is, however, understandable that our youth have lost hope in the leadership of this nation; a sane society is known by the opportunities it provides for the youth. But I must offer that the youth should not allow themselves to be drawn into any campaign that attempts to colour the internal borders of our country. We are doomed as a nation the moment the youth get hoodwinked by the bickering of bitter politicians who ride to relevance on sentiments that only inspire distrust among citizens. My experience so far in politics has taught me that age does not guarantee maturity to responsibly play the role of a patriot in an atmosphere of tensed political antagonisms. Thankfully, this is the Age of the Internet; borderless interactions in and out of cyberspace have opened a new door of social and political influences for the youth and the oppressed. This age of information has revealed that no people can ever be entirely wrong at the same time; the evil among us are so because of certain disorders in their superficial orientations, education or even mental state. That Boko Haram insurgency was launched in the north does not incriminate the entire northerners or Muslims; neither is kidnapping and the previously ill-famed militancy in the south crimes of the entire people of Niger-Delta. Similarly, the recent massacre of our security officers by certain elements of the largely good-natured Eggon people of Nasarawa state must not be adopted in interpreting the ethnic identities of these people. There is no man on this earth who smiles at the injuries on his body. And these militants, kidnappers, extremists and other agents of exclusions among us are injuries on the collective body of the nation. These events only call out loudly for careful and people-centered leadership. This is our call, and we must be fair to our history.

http://www.ekekeee.com/the-ijebu-and-the-egba-people-didnt-consider-themselves-as-one-talk-less-of-as-yoruba-ribadu-addresses-abu-students/
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by Nobody: 10:16pm On Jun 18, 2013
thelastPope:

You just use the word Yoruba indiscriminately as if Yorubas only reside in Isaleko!... grin

The Egba man does not even flow with the Ijebu man, yet you keep saying the Yorubas. You are a joke!... grin

You keep drifting from the issue..obviously your understanding of the Yoruba culture is very limited..very limited iindeed...Yoruba and its culture is very homogenous..with very little difference ...but the core traditions and beliefs are basically the same.

Stick to what you know and understand....that way you can speak confidently...

1 Like

Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by DuduNegro: 10:30pm On Jun 18, 2013
thelastPope:

Can you please mention one British cultural practice that infringes on peoples fundamental rights? I am waiting!

It depends on your classification of "people".

Some Britons will tell you there is nothing wrong observing Sunday as a public holiday and closed for business. Other Britons will say no they want Friday as business free day, yet another section will say Saturday should be the businness free day.

The custom of the land is Christian based and so everyone must observe the Sunday business free day regardless of your desire or belief.

In America the constitution calls for secularism and Govt must not be involved in religion, yet Sunday, the Christian holiday, is business free day.
Some States in America even forbids sell of alcohol on Sunday, being the holy day.

These work arounds a constitution is part of what a social contract is. You will never address of everyone's issues but above everything else you must address the particular custom of native laws, whatever has been adopted as the native law.

You guys can shout all you want and holler from now till eternity.......if you want customs in Lagos changed you need to start lobbying the Oba. Thats truth!
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by Afam4eva(m): 10:36pm On Jun 18, 2013
Dudu_Negro:

Some Britons will tell you there is nothing wrong observing Sunday as a public holiday and closed for business. Other Britons will say no they want Friday as business free day, yet another section will say Saturday should be the businness free day.

The custom of the land is Christian based and so everyone must observe the Sunday business free day regardless of your desire or belief.

In America the constitution calls for secularism and Govt must not be involved in religion, yet Sunday, the Christian holiday, is business free day.
Some States in America even forbids sell of alcohol on Sunday, being the holy day.

These work arounds a constitution is part of what a social contract is. You will never address of everyone's issues but above everything else you must address the particular custom of native laws, whatever has been adopted as the native law.

You guys can shout all you want and holler from now till eternity.......if you want customs in Lagos changed you need to start lobbying the Oba. Thats truth!
This your comment reeks of ignorance. Tell me why people of the seventh day adventist go to church on saturday instead of sunday. That's because it doesn't infringe on anyone's rights.
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by thelastPope(m): 10:37pm On Jun 18, 2013
ilugunboy:

You keep drifting from the issue..obviously your understanding of the Yoruba culture is very limited..very limited iindeed...Yoruba and its culture is very homogenous..with very little difference ...but the core traditions and beliefs are basically the same.

Stick to what you know and understand....that way you can speak confidently...

Every time I puncture your baseless arguments, you keep coming up with these weak excuses...lol Nothing is homogenous anywhere in the world. The man in badagry doesnt even see you as being one except for political reasons or when it comes to claiming indigene status and you are here claiming you know the Yorubas... grin
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by thelastPope(m): 10:41pm On Jun 18, 2013
Dudu_Negro:

Honestly, I am wasting my time debating with you. You are weak in content. I asked a simply question and you wote about 5 paragraphs without a solid point, just like Gbawe!

How is observing Sunday as a holiday related to forcing people to lock up shop for a day to honour a dead woman? Does the briton compel you to shut up shop on any giving day? Honestly, you are very weak. Let me go do something worthwhile... angry
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by Nobody: 11:10pm On Jun 18, 2013
thelastPope:

It proves absolutely nothing. This your 19th century theory is nothing but laughable! Nobody owns anywhere. I repeat, nobody owns anywhere! Wake up from your slumber. You live in a one room face me I slap you apartment and come to a public forum claiming you own Lagos. Oya, go out on the street now and enter any shop and pick whatever you like and walk away, because you own Lagos... grin

You only own the lean change in your bank account and the 4 pairs of Jeans hanging by your bed and that tokunbo TV you picked up from Ladipo, nothing else! Stop deluding yourself! The owners of Lagos are anyone, no matter the tribe, who has made enough money to buy a cool Land in Ikoyi or Lekki phase 1 or Palmgrove Estate, Alaka Estate, Ogudu GRA, Ikeja GRA, etc and runs an office on the Island or Allen avenue. That is how to own Lagos. Not this your poverty strikken ownership theory you are spewing here. The whole world has moved past that. Dont Nigerians in the UK fight for their rights and become leaders of society? Havent Nigerians in America become mayors? You better slap yourself 3 times and go wash your sleepy face so you can wake up to reality... grin grin grin
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by DuduNegro: 11:29pm On Jun 18, 2013
Afam4eva:
This your comment reeks of ignorance. Tell me why people of the seventh day adventist go to church on saturday instead of sunday. That's because it doesn't infringe on anyone's rights.

Look, pick any ciltural institution in Britain and you will find people on the other side of it. Muslims in London would prefer to have Friday as business free day. What you guys call infringement of rights is actually not a right.

You dont understand what rights the constitution is intended to protect. Constitution is to protect against things like June 12th, Ezu river, bokoharam and stuffs. Humans have certain innate liberties, most of which can be qualified as unbridled and wild. These liberties are unharmful to the individual self but when two or more individuals come into contact the interchange of the liberties will result in dominance. Domination, unchecked, feeds more wildness and liberties which would be harmful to those under the dominant power. Therefore constitution is not a protection of rights, it is a check of power.

For God's sake you Igbos need to stop lamenting about constitution and protection of your rights. Your rights are not protected under Nigerian constitution. No ethnic group is protected under the constitution. Get it in your head....only your culture and customs protect you. The constitution is there to check excesses in power, not to protect.

Closing shops to mourn Iyaloja is not an excess in power and does not need to be checked. It is a custom, a native liberty of Yoruba people.

How much of your rights have been protected by the exercise of this constitution in Alaigbo. If the constitution is for protecting you no Igbo should be killed anywhere in Nigeria. You guys need to understand simple civic knowledge and the social contract with government. Hide under your ethnic cuatoms for protection amd atop leaving yourself vulnerable under this yeye constitution. shyyte angry

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Sagay: I Will Be Very Upset If This Government Increases Price Of Petrol Again / Senate Release Names Of Fuel Subsidy Beneficiaries / I Transported N4.7bn Poll Funds For Obanikoro, Ex-aide Confesses

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.