Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,604 members, 7,812,978 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:05 AM

Why Do Babies Cling To Their Mums? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Do Babies Cling To Their Mums? (3023 Views)

Do Babies Enjoy Being Backed? / Do Babies Need Drugs Before They Start Teething? Mothers Pls Help!!! / What Do Babies Stare Blankly At? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Babies Cling To Their Mums? by Cestmoi1(f): 12:29pm On Jun 18, 2013
I've noticed dat at a certain age,babies tend to hold on to their mums.they will nt allow strangers to carry them.jst asking peradventure there's an explanation for it.
Re: Why Do Babies Cling To Their Mums? by Nobody: 12:47pm On Jun 18, 2013
Well they see their mothers as their god! And ofcourse she is the food factory grin grin grin honestly the answer is just beyond our reasoning! That's the way God created it.
Re: Why Do Babies Cling To Their Mums? by kreamidiva(f): 12:55pm On Jun 18, 2013
Awesome nature of baba God at play!
Re: Why Do Babies Cling To Their Mums? by Cestmoi1(f): 5:05pm On Jun 18, 2013
God's wonder....i agree.
Re: Why Do Babies Cling To Their Mums? by bellong: 7:49pm On Jun 18, 2013
Most babies that are always kept indoor do that. This is because of the fear of strange faces. It is advisable by children psychologists that mothers should be taking their babies out to mix with crowd once in a while to make them familiar with their environment and other people.
Re: Why Do Babies Cling To Their Mums? by Cestmoi1(f): 8:14pm On Jun 18, 2013
bellong: Most babies that are always kept indoor do that. This is because of the fear of strange faces. It is advisable by children psychologists that mothers should be taking their babies out to mix with crowd once in a while to make them familiar with their environment and other people.
dis makes sense too.
Re: Why Do Babies Cling To Their Mums? by taryour(f): 9:21pm On Jun 18, 2013
bellong: Most babies that are always kept indoor do that. This is because of the fear of strange faces. It is advisable by children psychologists that mothers should be taking their babies out to mix with crowd once in a while to make them familiar with their environment and other people.

CAPITAL NO. This has got nothing to do with babies staying indoor or not. All babies do that. Even kids of beggars living under the bridge or road sides cling to their mothers. I am a caterer and my son clings to me or his father at all times, he is in skull and follows me to every event and dosnt allow anybody except I or his dad to carry him. My son as traveled places,not the indoor type cause my business takes me everywhere and he goes with me. I think you should just wait and have a baby(if u haven't) then you will see how clingy babies can be.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Babies Cling To Their Mums? by greatgod2012(f): 5:01am On Jun 19, 2013
@op, its natural!
Do you think its easy, carrying a baby inside yourself for 9 good months (and some are even more), bosom feeding the baby, taking care of the baby every now and then, and you are saying they shouldnt be clingy, if they are not clingy to their parents, especially the mum, then, something is wrong. Its natural, it cant be questioned nor explained enough.
May God help our kids.
Re: Why Do Babies Cling To Their Mums? by Nobody: 9:15am On Jun 19, 2013
This is not true cheesy
My baby started mixing with pple at 2mths 2wks and i can tell you that she behaves like ds as well but has reduced now.
When she sees new face, she clings to me but after like some minutes and person is still around, she tries to associate with him or her.
Altho she is a very shy girl wink cheesy
Re: Why Do Babies Cling To Their Mums? by degurl(f): 9:53am On Jun 19, 2013
Its a natural thing. What do you expect? Nine months together, after birth, breastfeeding, sleeping together, spend almost everyday of their first 6months of life together with their mum. So you see, clinging to their mum is more of a natural thing because of the divine connection."
Re: Why Do Babies Cling To Their Mums? by bellong: 11:30am On Jun 19, 2013
nikkykay:
This is not true cheesy
My baby started mixing with pple at 2mths 2wks and i can tell you that she behaves like ds as well but has reduced now.
When she sees new face, she clings to me but after like some minutes and person is still around, she tries to associate with him or her.
Altho she is a very shy girl wink cheesy
taryour:

CAPITAL NO. This has got nothing to do with babies staying indoor or not. All babies do that. Even kids of beggars living under the bridge or road sides cling to their mothers. I am a caterer and my son clings to me or his father at all times, he is in skull and follows me to every event and dosnt allow anybody except I or his dad to carry him. My son as traveled places,not the indoor type cause my business takes me everywhere and he goes with me. I think you should just wait and have a baby(if u haven't) then you will see how clingy babies can be.

I read that part in babycenter forum. I may not have put it rightly but I believe it is true. When a baby sees a strange face at first, he/she tends to cling unto mum or dad or any familiar face around. This is more than carrying the baby for nine months, its security on the part of the baby. The baby becomes more secured with known face than unknown. After some minutes, the baby may become friendly with the stranger. It is a proven fact.

@Taryour, do not be hasty to conclude. I have a baby and he is still under 7months and it is the reason I have an idea of the above. Meanwhile, my baby is not an introvert nor a quite baby. He mixes with people but he reacts to strange faces at first attempt till after some minutes of familiarisation.
Re: Why Do Babies Cling To Their Mums? by Nobody: 11:35am On Jun 19, 2013
bellong:

I read that part in babycenter forum. I may not have put it rightly but I believe it is true. When a baby sees a strange face at first, he/she tends to cling unto mum or dad or any familiar face around. This is more than carrying the baby for nine months, its security on the part of the baby. The baby becomes more secured with known face than unknown. After some minutes, the baby may become friendly with the stranger. It is a proven fact.

@Taryour, do not be hasty to conclude. I have a baby and he is still under 7months and it is the reason I have an idea of the above. Meanwhile, my baby is not an introvert nor a quite baby. He mixes with people but he reacts to strange faces at first attempt till after some minutes of familiarisation.
I made an example of my baby regarding ds now smiley
Re: Why Do Babies Cling To Their Mums? by Handsomeemmy(m): 7:02am On Jun 20, 2013
They have the best connection , feeding someone over the month with the best milk in the world , bathing and taking care of them at every instance, baby are sane to know who really cares.
Re: Why Do Babies Cling To Their Mums? by alienware(m): 11:20am On Jul 07, 2013
Have you noticed that babies always stir at their mumsy face consistently ? They recognise their mum's face and even voice at a tender age.
Re: Why Do Babies Cling To Their Mums? by EfemenaXY: 12:18pm On Jul 07, 2013
C'est moi:
I've noticed dat at a certain age,babies tend to hold on to their mums.they will nt allow strangers to carry them.jst asking peradventure there's an explanation for it.

It's called separation anxiety.

It's a natural process many babies go through where they get become extra clingy with their parents. It's nothing to worry about as it shows that your baby is growing and developing normally. For most babies, it happens in phases...the first occurs around eight months and the next occurs around two years of age. It does vary though and may occur earlier or later with some children.

Here, have a read of this. It throws more light on what Separation Anxiety is with babies and how to deal with it as a parent:

At some point during their development, all babies will experience separation anxiety. This is very common and completely normal, however, it can be difficult for parents to cope with a baby who gets panicky and upset when they’re not around. The good news is, for the vast majority of babies, separation anxiety happens in phases and won’t last forever.

It often starts at around eight months and usually subsides as your baby nears one year old or a few months after. However, it may come back sometime around two years, once your baby becomes aware of their own independence.

What is separation anxiety?

One afternoon you’re playing with your eight month old baby on the floor who’s just started to shuffle around on her bottom and you need to nip to the loo. A pretty normal occurrence and one that your baby hasn’t reacted to particularly strongly before. But today, the second you leave the room, your baby starts crying and screaming, and will only be consoled by you holding and comforting her.

This is an example of separation anxiety, which a baby experiences when separated from the main person who looks after them, usually mum. Rather than this being a sign that something is wrong, separation anxiety is in fact (noisy!) proof of just how strong the bond between you and your baby is.

What causes it?

From around the age of six months, your baby will start to engage more actively with the world around them. During this time they will also learn how to differentiate, or recognise faces - mostly those of the people who look after them - and they will feel comfortable with familiar people and environments.

However, while they might have been happy being held or comforted by people other than yourself or your partner before, this now might lead to them screaming with panic. This is a natural reaction because even if they recognise the person holding them - what they don’t know and what upsets them – is not knowing when, or if, you will return.

Dealing with separation anxiety

Your baby will learn – through the responsiveness of those close to them – to recognise when there really is something to be upset about and the patterns of your comings and goings in their day and life. However, this is not something babies learn overnight.

The best way to deal with separation anxiety is to give your baby reassurance - over and over again - that your absence doesn't mean that you have gone away forever.

Even if your baby's distress is upsetting you, it's not necessary to give up plans to go out or return to work. It's part of her emotional growth to learn that others can care for her as well, and she can trust you to come back soon.

Some babies are comforted by the presence of a soft toy or blanket which they associate with you or your partner perhaps. But patience, understanding and calm reassurance are the main responses you can use to handle separation anxiety. Other common strategies include:

~ Timing: Try not to leave when your baby is likely to be tired, hungry or restless. If possible, schedule your departures for after naps and mealtimes.

~ Practice: Leave your child with a relative or friend for brief periods initially. If you’re planning to leave your baby with a relative or babysitter invite that person over in advance so they can meet them beforehand.

~ Consistency: Have a regular group of people who look after your baby and interact with them.

~ Familiarity: Keep surroundings as familiar as possible and make new surroundings more familiar. If your baby is starting a new nursery make a few short visits there before a full-time schedule begins.

~ Ritual: create a goodbye ritual during which you say a calm, loving and firm goodbye. Don’t sneak away when she is not looking. Reassure her that you’ll be back. When you leave mean it, as returning will make things worse.

~ Follow through: Make sure you return when you promised and your child will develop the confidence that she can make it through the time apart.

The best way to deal with separation anxiety is give your baby reassurance – over and over again – that your absence doesn’t mean that you have gone away forever.

http://www.nct.org.uk/parenting/separation-anxiety-0

Hope this helps smiley

1 Like

Re: Why Do Babies Cling To Their Mums? by Cestmoi1(f): 2:46pm On Jul 07, 2013
Efemena_xy:

It's called separation anxiety.

It's a natural process many babies go through where they get become extra clingy with their parents. It's nothing to worry about as it shows that your baby is growing and developing normally. For most babies, it happens in phases...the first occurs around eight months and the next occurs around two years of age. It does vary though and may occur earlier or later with some children.

Here, have a read of this. It throws more light on what Separation Anxiety is with babies and how to deal with it as a parent:

At some point during their development, all babies will experience separation anxiety. This is very common and completely normal, however, it can be difficult for parents to cope with a baby who gets panicky and upset when they’re not around. The good news is, for the vast majority of babies, separation anxiety happens in phases and won’t last forever.

It often starts at around eight months and usually subsides as your baby nears one year old or a few months after. However, it may come back sometime around two years, once your baby becomes aware of their own independence.

What is separation anxiety?

One afternoon you’re playing with your eight month old baby on the floor who’s just started to shuffle around on her bottom and you need to nip to the loo. A pretty normal occurrence and one that your baby hasn’t reacted to particularly strongly before. But today, the second you leave the room, your baby starts crying and screaming, and will only be consoled by you holding and comforting her.

This is an example of separation anxiety, which a baby experiences when separated from the main person who looks after them, usually mum. Rather than this being a sign that something is wrong, separation anxiety is in fact (noisy!) proof of just how strong the bond between you and your baby is.

What causes it?

From around the age of six months, your baby will start to engage more actively with the world around them. During this time they will also learn how to differentiate, or recognise faces - mostly those of the people who look after them - and they will feel comfortable with familiar people and environments.

However, while they might have been happy being held or comforted by people other than yourself or your partner before, this now might lead to them screaming with panic. This is a natural reaction because even if they recognise the person holding them - what they don’t know and what upsets them – is not knowing when, or if, you will return.

Dealing with separation anxiety

Your baby will learn – through the responsiveness of those close to them – to recognise when there really is something to be upset about and the patterns of your comings and goings in their day and life. However, this is not something babies learn overnight.

The best way to deal with separation anxiety is to give your baby reassurance - over and over again - that your absence doesn't mean that you have gone away forever.

Even if your baby's distress is upsetting you, it's not necessary to give up plans to go out or return to work. It's part of her emotional growth to learn that others can care for her as well, and she can trust you to come back soon.

Some babies are comforted by the presence of a soft toy or blanket which they associate with you or your partner perhaps. But patience, understanding and calm reassurance are the main responses you can use to handle separation anxiety. Other common strategies include:

~ Timing: Try not to leave when your baby is likely to be tired, hungry or restless. If possible, schedule your departures for after naps and mealtimes.

~ Practice: Leave your child with a relative or friend for brief periods initially. If you’re planning to leave your baby with a relative or babysitter invite that person over in advance so they can meet them beforehand.

~ Consistency: Have a regular group of people who look after your baby and interact with them.

~ Familiarity: Keep surroundings as familiar as possible and make new surroundings more familiar. If your baby is starting a new nursery make a few short visits there before a full-time schedule begins.

~ Ritual: create a goodbye ritual during which you say a calm, loving and firm goodbye. Don’t sneak away when she is not looking. Reassure her that you’ll be back. When you leave mean it, as returning will make things worse.

~ Follow through: Make sure you return when you promised and your child will develop the confidence that she can make it through the time apart.

The best way to deal with separation anxiety is give your baby reassurance – over and over again – that your absence doesn’t mean that you have gone away forever.

http://www.nct.org.uk/parenting/separation-anxiety-0

Hope this helps smiley
interesting piece....i undastand beta now.tnx ma'am.
Re: Why Do Babies Cling To Their Mums? by EfemenaXY: 7:39pm On Jul 07, 2013
^^ You're welcome. smiley

(1) (Reply)

Woman Jailed For Having Sex With Her Own Son / A Food Timetable App For The Family / The Thought Of Marriage Is Giving Me Sleepless Nights.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.