Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,153 members, 7,811,305 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:48 AM

The Right To Choose - Religion (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Right To Choose (8448 Views)

Is It Right To Honour Or Worship Mary The Mother Of Jesus? / What Is The Right Day To Go To Church: Saturday Or Sunday? / How Do You Know When You Found The Right Man/Woman, That God has Chosen (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Right To Choose by Kay17: 10:23am On Jun 27, 2013
Mr anony:
Ah I see, I hope you know that by your argument, nobody was murdered during the holocaust because according to German law then, what they did to the Jews was not murder.
Also during the slave trade, slaves were not counted as human beings but as property. By your logic, those who hung their slaves or had dogs eat them up also did not commit murder?

When we say that murder is unlawful, we are not referring to some arbitrary laws that can be made up by anyone rather we are referring to an objective moral law that binds all of us.

You are shifting goalposts, the topic was based on the extent of our Bill of Rights, you insisted foetus/zygote have a right to life, and their abortion was consequentially murder. Clearly you were arguing about legal rights of the foetus and the mother and the legal implications. And it was upon that subject we were all engaged.

When it became clearer to you that there is no such right, you fled under the rickety umbrella of objective morality.

However if that is your new stand, you must accept that foetus have no right to life!
Re: The Right To Choose by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:32am On Jun 27, 2013
Mr Troll:

I doubt they'll be relevant to any sensible person here.

you do not know my world view. Moreover you can't tell me when to be angry or not. You really need to get your head out your posterior and see that very few people outside christianity give a damn about your god and your bible.
your opinion, which you can't defend and which doesn't make any sense.

hehehehe. So why are you all speaking with legion voices

Wait! Its because they're not genuine christians else they'll be in agreement with you. Right? wink

undecided
No answer there?

The main reason we see things differently: Different lenses by which we view the evidence.

Re: The Right To Choose by MrTroll(m): 7:31pm On Jun 27, 2013
OLAADEGBU:

The main reason we see things differently: Different lenses by which we view the evidence.
you dull! I swearrigawd. embarassed
Re: The Right To Choose by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:50pm On Jun 28, 2013
Mr Troll:

you dull! I swearrigawd. embarassed

Really?

Re: The Right To Choose by Enigma(m): 7:12pm On Jun 28, 2013
A propos "slippery slopes" and all that jazz, here is the Abstract from a peer reviewed piece.

http://jme.bmj.com/content/early/2012/03/01/medethics-2011-100411.full

Abortion is largely accepted even for reasons that do not have anything to do with the fetus' health. By showing that (1) both fetuses and newborns do not have the same moral status as actual persons, (2) the fact that both are potential persons is morally irrelevant and (3) adoption is not always in the best interest of actual people, the authors argue that what we call ‘after-birth abortion’ (killing a newborn) should be permissible in all the cases where abortion is, including cases where the newborn is not disabled.
Re: The Right To Choose by Enigma(m): 7:27pm On Jun 28, 2013
This is how one newspaper reported on that piece above http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/9113394/Killing-babies-no-different-from-abortion-experts-say.html

Killing babies no different from abortion, experts say
Parents should be allowed to have their newborn babies killed because they are “morally irrelevant” and ending their lives is no different to abortion, a group of medical ethicists linked to Oxford University has argued.

Anyway, here is the Abstract of one academic reply to the piece http://jme.bmj.com/content/39/5/e1.short

In the article ‘After-birth abortion: why should the baby live?’ arguments are made in favour of the moral permissibility of intentionally killing newborn infants, under particular conditions. Here we argue that their arguments are based on an indefensible view of personhood, and we question the logic of harm and interest that informs their arguments. Furthermore, we argue that the conclusions here are so contrary to ordinary moral intuitions that the argument and conclusions based upon it—including those which defend more mainstream methods of abortion—should be treated with immediate suspicion.
Re: The Right To Choose by MrTroll(m): 8:39pm On Jun 28, 2013
OLAADEGBU:

Really?
yes!
And to further butress my point you had to post an irrelevant picture that purports to link my calling you dull with the fact that you're not an evolutionist. Smh

Listen man, your being very dull has nothing to do with your religion. You're just naturally dull and being a programmed christian robot only makes it infinitely worse. cheesy

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Where Can I Get "Alone With God" By Bishop Francis Wale Oke / Can A Saved Person Lose His Salvation? / Why Does The Christian God Love To Massacre Millions Of Children?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.