Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,798 members, 7,851,686 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 05:32 AM

I'm Tired Of Been A "Mummy's Girl"!! - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / I'm Tired Of Been A "Mummy's Girl"!! (4826 Views)

When You Are Tired Of Backing Baby (photo) / I Am Getting Tired Of My Long Distance Marriage. / His Wife Is Always Tired At Night For Sex (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I'm Tired Of Been A "Mummy's Girl"!! by Nobody: 10:19pm On Jun 21, 2013
Efemena_xy:

What makes you think you won't be able to cope?

I mean what aspect of living independently on your own, on the outside, do you think would be difficult for you? Exercising restraint / caution? Footing your own bills? Taking responsibility for your actions and living with the consequences of the decision(s) you make?

Not intending to put you down or anything of that sort, only just trying to understand your perspective - because from what I've read so far, you're 23 years old, yes?

Mixing up! Yeah, mixing up. I feel like the odd one out when I manage to get little time with my friends. Somettimes, I don't know what to say on certain occassions when am with frends. I just feel like an alien dropped onto planet earth. I really don't know how to emphasize this so you understand, but sometimes people around me think I'm weird when I do certain things. Her "caging" me is affecting my way of life!

And yes, I'm 23
Re: I'm Tired Of Been A "Mummy's Girl"!! by piero2u(m): 10:20pm On Jun 21, 2013
staicey: ......heart, I wanna feel like a normal teen. I'm ...cry cry
Re: I'm Tired Of Been A "Mummy's Girl"!! by druid06(m): 10:24pm On Jun 21, 2013
staicey:

Thank you acid. I'm 23 incase you didn't notice and am sure you know that a lady at 23 or even 20 can differentiate good from bad. All I need is a breathinhg space, seizing my phone, making sure I'm sleeping after I've gone to bed.. Hell! Sometimes she don't allow me go to bed with my phone. She always wnts to go through my texts at every slight opportunity, what's that?

Besides, I don't wanna believe you are saying me having a bf at 23 is bad. Is it not better I have a bf who comes over to the house and she kknows him? Than have one I sneak out to see all the time?

You, 23yo? I don't believe any of it. First, you don't look like one, secondly, you don't portray the maturity of a 23 yo. A23yo does not keep an online diary whatsoever. When I wa 23, I was busy hustling and looking for good employment while camping at a friends quaters you on the other hand is enjoying the security of living under a parent while you suck them continously dry and you expect your mother to give you some freedom when you don't act mature and still feed and live under them. First go get a job then we could talk about getting a boyfriend...Nonsense angry angry

1 Like

Re: I'm Tired Of Been A "Mummy's Girl"!! by Nobody: 10:26pm On Jun 21, 2013
CFCfan:

This is very serious shocked shocked

I'll go crazy if I was in that predicament. At that stage, I would have to bring extended family members into the conversation.

Hmmm that's the least I can think of my mum does. I wanna be polite as I can because in one way or the other, I'll show her this thread, even if it means me saving the pages, editing and sending it to her mail.
I still love her though, all I ask is some breathing space
Re: I'm Tired Of Been A "Mummy's Girl"!! by Nobody: 10:34pm On Jun 21, 2013
druid06:

You, 23yo? I don't believe any of it. First, you don't look like one, secondly, you don't portray the maturity of a 23 yo. A23yo does not keep an online diary whatsoever. When I wa 23, I was busy hustling and looking for good employment while camping at a friends quaters you on the other hand is enjoying the security of living under a parent while you suck them continously dry and you expect your mother to give you some freedom when you don't act mature and still feed and live under them. First go get a job then we could talk about getting a boyfriend...Nonsense angry angry

Do you have to insult me to prove a point?
How does a 23year old look and what's wrong with having fun with keeping an online diary.
I'm still in school and I use to do a parttime job weekends before I stopped and that was because I needed to concentrate more in studiesa nd mum asked me to

My mum took me away from my dad since I was 8 and we went to another town within the same country my dad was and she still saw that my dad n I still communicated and she then decided we moved to the US and since then had caged me. Initially, I thought it was the motherly love but now I'm seeing it as something else. Please do not insult me, I donot know the part of my story that aint clear to you.

1 Like

Re: I'm Tired Of Been A "Mummy's Girl"!! by dayokanu(m): 10:34pm On Jun 21, 2013
staicey: I wanna feel like a normal teen. I'm no kid please cry

staicey:
And yes, I'm 23

You see why your mom treats you like a kid?

You dont even know who a teen is, Probably your mom also knows this and thats why she is monitoring you
Re: I'm Tired Of Been A "Mummy's Girl"!! by Nobody: 10:37pm On Jun 21, 2013
dayokanu:

You see why your mom treats you like a kid?

You dont even know who a teen is, Probably your mom also knows this and thats why she is monitoring you

Who's a teenager?
Re: I'm Tired Of Been A "Mummy's Girl"!! by EfemenaXY: 10:37pm On Jun 21, 2013
staicey:

Mixing up! Yeah, mixing up. I feel like the odd one out when I manage to get little time with my friends. Somettimes, I don't know what to say on certain occassions when am with frends. I just feel like an alien dropped onto planet earth. I really don't know how to emphasize this so you understand, but sometimes people around me think I'm weird when I do certain things. Her "caging" me is affecting my way of life!

And yes, I'm 23

Staicey, where are you based? If you don't mind my asking?

Secondly, are you in full time education? I know you mentioned something about not wanting your mum to drop you off at school...

You know, going off to uni is the beginnings of tasting an independent life for most people. As a full time student, living away from home, you'll get to taste the much coveted 'freedom' you talk about, but at a price. The price being that you will be looked upon as an adult, and would be held accountable for any actions you take. You'll also have to fend for yourself, manage your finances, learn to prioritise and juggle your studies with your social life. Girl, it's all about maintaining that balance so your studies don't suffer / get neglected.

That notwithstanding, you do need to have a heart-to-heart chat with your mum. Now I don't really know what's going on, only what you've told us, but I do know there are two sides to every story. This is why you must sit with her and get to the root of this issue. I'm quite certain she does what she does with your best interest at heart. Communicate with her. Have your say, then let her have her say. No screaming, just two adults discussing calmly.

You're also going to have to prove to her that you can be a responsible adult. Saying so won't cut it. Talk is cheap. Actions speak louder than words. You're going to have to prove to her that you are and can be a responsible adult. Start by getting a job. Even if it's part-time and only for a few hours a week. It's a step in the right direction.

Then offer to help out with the household finances. It doesn't have to be anything great. Making a token amount towards the phone bills for example would go a long way to proving to her that you mean business, rather than demanding that she let you use the phone, whenever, and however long you wish for.

These are just a few examples of how you can get started with winning her over. Remember, she is your mum and only wants what's best for you, no matter how 'over protective' she might seem to you.

All the best.

2 Likes

Re: I'm Tired Of Been A "Mummy's Girl"!! by EfemenaXY: 10:40pm On Jun 21, 2013
staicey:

How does a 23year old look and what's wrong with having fun with keeping an online diary.
I'm still in school and I use to do a parttime job weekends before I stopped and that was because I needed to concentrate more in studiesa nd mum asked me to

My mum took me away from my dad since I was 8 and we went to another town within the same country my dad was and she still saw that my dad n I still communicated and she then decided we moved to the US and since then had caged me. Initially, I thought it was the motherly love but now I'm seeing it as something else. Please do not insult me, I donot know the part of my story that aint clear to you.

Ah! Only just seeing this.

Confirms my earlier suspicion.

Staicey, speak to your mum as I suggested in my earlier post...
Re: I'm Tired Of Been A "Mummy's Girl"!! by Nobody: 10:44pm On Jun 21, 2013
Thanks to everyone for the nice advice n tothe incoming advices, thanks too. Its appreciated. And more thanks to those who couldn't help but to insult to prove their points. Still appreciated.

CFCfan, I donot even know where to run to if I were to run away, I as much as I don't like what mum does to me, i still love and respect her feelings. I dontt want to hurt her of which I know running away would do
Re: I'm Tired Of Been A "Mummy's Girl"!! by Elxandre(m): 10:50pm On Jun 21, 2013
dayokanu: I thought you are 23 already?

staicey lied!!! ;P grin
We the nairaland commitee of elders will see to it that you are adequately punished..grin grin grin
Re: I'm Tired Of Been A "Mummy's Girl"!! by Nobody: 10:51pm On Jun 21, 2013
Efemena_xy:

Ah! Only just seeing this.

Confirms my earlier suspicion.

Staicey, speak to your mum as I suggested in my earlier post...

Thank you. Read through, talk is always cheap as long as the talker never gets tired or never dies. I'm tired of talking. Well. Still thanks
Re: I'm Tired Of Been A "Mummy's Girl"!! by Nobody: 10:51pm On Jun 21, 2013
staicey: Thanks to everyone for the nice advice n tothe incoming advices, thanks too. Its appreciated. And more thanks to those who couldn't help but to insult to prove their points. Still appreciated.

CFCfan, I do not even know where to run to if I were to run away, I as much as I don't like what mum does to me, i still love and respect her feelings. I don't want to hurt her of which I know running away would do

I won't advocate running away. Judging from how u described ur situation, I still think some other person should mediate in the issue. Seeing a therapist is not a bad option either.
My dad was certainly a protective one during my secondary school days, and my earlier days in College. But he never went to the extent of checking my phones/preventing me from bringing friends over to the house.
Re: I'm Tired Of Been A "Mummy's Girl"!! by dayokanu(m): 11:01pm On Jun 21, 2013
staicey:

Who's a teenager?

staicey: I wanna feel like a normal teen. I'm no kid please cry
Re: I'm Tired Of Been A "Mummy's Girl"!! by druid06(m): 11:03pm On Jun 21, 2013
If you're 23 years of age which I still don't believe judging from your inexperienced attitude, you need to grow up. You act like a teen and maybe it's the reason why your mom still treats you like a kid. Also, please don't talk about your personal stuffs online. Too much weirdos and predators. Sorry if my previous comment was mean. I am usually that way; very grumpy. ciao! ciao!

2 Likes

Re: I'm Tired Of Been A "Mummy's Girl"!! by Nobody: 11:05pm On Jun 21, 2013
dayokanu:

Its okay. I can see you didn't actually get my drift when I said "... Just wanna feel like a normal teen". Its okay smiley
Re: I'm Tired Of Been A "Mummy's Girl"!! by Nobody: 11:11pm On Jun 21, 2013
druid06: If you're 23 years of age which I still don't believe judging from your inexperienced attitude, you need to grow up. You act like a teen and maybe it's the reason why your mom still treats you like a kid. Also, please don't talk about your personal stuffs online. Too much weirdos and predators. Sorry if my previous comment was mean. I am usually that way; very grumpy. ciao! ciao!

Thank you, druid smiley I'm inexperienced all right.
And for your little advice up there, I still think its my personal life and I alone decides what to do with it. I'm fine with the weirdos n predators as long as whatever they say don't get to me. Besides, you should be the last person to care. Thanks all the same, bye ya! smiley
Re: I'm Tired Of Been A "Mummy's Girl"!! by stkelly(m): 12:07am On Jun 22, 2013
hehehehe reminds me a bit about myself, am guessing your an only child, or many its just you and another sibling. well in my own case it was just my bro and i, always complaining about certain restrictions, like not being allowed to o clubbing from home, getting calls from home once its 6pm, not being free to travel and do other stuff our friends got to do and guess wat, my elder and i as guys, we did bend the rules, break sum even, and trust me, we made plenty mistakes, and lucky me i didnt have to make sum cos i learnt from my brothers...he was not so lucky. at the end of the day, all she does she does in love, you have to understand that shes not perfect and am sure being alone, shez tryna kip u away from making some of the mistakes she made. freedom is gud, but it has its price, my advise, wait it out,if you have older cousins or fwnds that she knows, like her friends kid, bring them over, the girls oo, they can help convince her that your in good company... its a cruel world out there you wont blame a lioness for holding on to her cub just a bit longer..lolz

PS if you get to have more career oriented discussions with her, and not mainly about how you wanna do all the things shes scared of letting you do, i bet you, she'will know her lil girls ready to leave the nest...justSaying.

1 Like

Re: I'm Tired Of Been A "Mummy's Girl"!! by Nobody: 1:38am On Jun 22, 2013
staicey:

Aww, I really feel for you. The seperation between both parents is hard enough. I'm also really sorry I have no form of advice that would bring you immediaate relief. But sweedy, I'll say you hold on for a lil while. You'll get married someday and I believe it wouldn't be too long again. Then you'd miss her like crazy. I'm guessing she's made some mistakes which you do not know of and she's jes tryna prevent you from making same. I'm glad you realise she loves you. smiley
Re: I'm Tired Of Been A "Mummy's Girl"!! by albacete(m): 6:42am On Jun 22, 2013
^^ sweery, how u doin' ?
Re: I'm Tired Of Been A "Mummy's Girl"!! by blank(f): 9:22am On Jun 22, 2013
@23yrs, what is on ur mind is to throw parties and have boyfriends when your mates are getting jobs and making something of their lives.
That's why she is not interested in giving you that "freedom" cos she has not seen signs that you are ready to show maturity.

2 Likes

Re: I'm Tired Of Been A "Mummy's Girl"!! by Nobody: 11:15am On Jun 22, 2013
blank: @23yrs, what is on ur mind is to throw parties and have boyfriends when your mates are getting jobs and making something of their lives.
That's why she is not interested in giving you that "freedom" cos she has not seen signs that you are ready to show maturity.

Finally.....
Re: I'm Tired Of Been A "Mummy's Girl"!! by taryour(f): 11:20am On Jun 22, 2013
blank: @23yrs, what is on ur mind is to throw parties and have boyfriends when your mates are getting jobs and making something of their lives.

Thank u madam for hitting the nail on the head. God bless you
Re: I'm Tired Of Been A "Mummy's Girl"!! by SpicyMimi(f): 11:22am On Jun 22, 2013
God bless you!

I guess u ve gotten ur answers now. smiley

am not gonna judge u based on ur pics, but frm the ones ve seen...it shows u wana be a wild girl...guess Mama suspects that as well.

You need to start thinking like a 23yrs old girl...by putting more important things as ur priorities and not partying!
I started Auditing dffrt companies at the age of 20, though am not yet a qualified one...but i can do what most experience and qualified Chartered Accountants can do! Clubbing nd parties...i saw all those things as vanities!!!
Take your life serious and stop complaining.
May God help you.

Ps-am stil in my early twenties.
Re: I'm Tired Of Been A "Mummy's Girl"!! by biolabee(m): 11:37am On Jun 22, 2013
At 21 some of my class mates were graduates waiting for nysc

Nowadays some are already working as audit associates at 23

Time dey wait for no man

At 25, some ladies don drop one... some get Msc,

If na fratbabe the girl wan be, make we free am na... grin undecided

1 Like

Re: I'm Tired Of Been A "Mummy's Girl"!! by Nobody: 12:37pm On Jun 22, 2013
biolabee: At 21 some of my class mates were graduates waiting for nysc

Nowadays some are already working as audit associates at 23

Time dey wait for no man

At 25, some ladies don drop one... some get Msc,

If na fratbabe the girl wan be, make we free am na... grin undecided

hahahahaat her age i had already finished my msc degree.at 21 i had already left my parents house to have a life that was after i was done with nysc.so op if you want to be treated like an adult,act like one.let your parents see that you can achieve or do something without them telling you do this,do that.use your gumshion to do things on your own.stop the mummy is my leggings fine,mummy i want to go for a party at 1am,as typical of people of your age.work,do something to take you out of the house then we can start from there.my mom treated me like shes treating you when i was 17,by 18,i already got admission to go to school and so i left the house.i also sold jwellries to earn something,not that my mum couldnt afford to give me pocket money,but i wanted to be treated like an adult,so i acted like one.she saw that i was very industrious so she let me off the hook.she only gives me money from her own volition and pays my school fees then.anyway

the summary of my tale is act like an adult not a teen

1 Like

Re: I'm Tired Of Been A "Mummy's Girl"!! by biolabee(m): 12:48pm On Jun 22, 2013
nice one ...

kulyie: hahahahaat her age i had already finished my msc degree.at 21 i had already left my parents house to have a life that was after i was done with nysc.so op if you want to be treated like an adult,act like one.let your parents see that you can achieve or do something without them telling you do this,do that.use your gumshion to do things on your own.stop the mummy is my leggings fine,mummy i want to go for a party at 1am,as typical of people of your age.work,do something to take you out of the house then we can start from there.my mom treated me like shes treating you when i was 17,by 18,i already got admission to go to school and so i left the house.i also sold jwellries to earn something,not that my mum couldnt afford to give me pocket money,but i wanted to be treated like an adult,so i acted like one.she saw that i was very industrious so she let me off the hook.she only gives me money from her own volition and pays my school fees then.anyway

the summary of my tale is act like an adult not a teen
Re: I'm Tired Of Been A "Mummy's Girl"!! by Nobody: 12:52pm On Jun 22, 2013
SpicyMimi:
God bless you!

I guess u ve gotten ur answers now. smiley

am not gonna judge u based on ur pics, but frm the ones ve seen...it shows u wana be a wild girl...guess Mama suspects that as well.

You need to start thinking like a 23yrs old girl...by putting more important things as ur priorities and not partying!
I started Auditing dffrt companies at the age of 20, though am not yet a qualified one...but i can do what most experience and qualified Chartered Accountants can do! Clubbing nd parties...i saw all those things as vanities!!!
Take your life serious and stop complaining.
May God help you.

Ps-am stil in my early twenties.
youve said it all.after making something meaningful of your life and you earn your own money,if you want to throw parties from monday down to sunday,she wont disturb you,if you want to have 1o boyfreinds each from the 36 states in nigeria,she wont talk.by that time sef,you will have outgrown your childishness sef.the point is self development or intellectual empowerment should be your priority at your age,not having boyfriends and throwing parties.grow up girl,think like a 23 year old girl not some 16 year old girl that all her priority is wearing the latest clothes to impress boys and going for prom nights.you arent a child,you are becoming an adult.you have left the age group of teens when you clocked 19.my kid brother is your age and he is doing his nysc in another state and each time he calls me,he is not talking about parties or girlfriends,he is talking to me about what he needs to do to make him a better person monetarily and intellectually,when i ask him dont you go to parties and all,hes like sis,i'm not intrested in that sh1t.mind you,if he goes to parties all night long or amass girls,no one will harass him,he is another state,free to do whatever he likes.even when he was at home,he shows signs of maturity.

1 Like

Re: I'm Tired Of Been A "Mummy's Girl"!! by Nobody: 1:01pm On Jun 22, 2013
Vanneni: Aww, I really feel for you. The seperation between both parents is hard enough. I'm also really sorry I have no form of advice that would bring you immediaate relief. But sweedy, I'll say you hold on for a lil while. You'll get married someday and I believe it wouldn't be too long again. Then you'd miss her like crazy. I'm guessing she's made some mistakes which you do not know of and she's jes tryna prevent you from making same. I'm glad you realise she loves you. smiley
stop making it look like marriage is an escaope route from mumy's claws before one man comes with the intention to shine her congo and take off while shes thinking he wants to marry her.
Re: I'm Tired Of Been A "Mummy's Girl"!! by damiso(f): 2:32pm On Jun 22, 2013
Marriage for sure aint an escape o abeg.Esp when she too starts having kids. smiley
No need to add anything more to what others have said summary dont ask to be treated like an adult, act like one.
Re: I'm Tired Of Been A "Mummy's Girl"!! by Nobody: 2:42pm On Jun 22, 2013
You have your priorities upside down. You don't need all those throwing parties crap except for birthdays. What you are fighting for is your independence right? And I don't care if it's their house or not, you are 23 not a teenager. It is even the caging and over protection that made you still live with her and you can't think for yourself without her permission. I had similar parents and the only way to get out of their hold is to fight your way through, whether you are eating their food or not. Eat it well and clean mouth, cos they made it so. Start acting like an adult. Make a drastic decision like you are getting your own place or you wanna start staying with friends to herald that big fight. You might not have the money. There's going to be a big fight. But after that fight they will mellow down and think twice before caging you.
Re: I'm Tired Of Been A "Mummy's Girl"!! by tpia5: 2:59pm On Jun 22, 2013
op do you feel shame at all, doesnt look that way.

how can a grown person type up that kind of crap?

abi you're a male joker ni?

are the things on that list your goals in life?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

I'm 35 Years Old And I Already Feel Like A Failure In Life / FEMALE CIRCUMCISION: What Are The Side Effects? / Married Man Confused After Marriage, Needs Advice

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.