Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,738 members, 7,817,033 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:04 AM

There And Back On Time (Nairaland Best Story of all Time) - Literature (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / There And Back On Time (Nairaland Best Story of all Time) (721419 Views)

Your Best Story Ever Read On Nairaland / STORY FOR THE GODS [Nairaland Best Ever Magical Movie] / What Is The Best Story You Have Read On Nairaland? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (162) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: There And Back On Time (Nairaland Best Story of all Time) by Nobody: 1:37pm On Jul 11, 2013
Mehn! Dis story of yours is an eye opener, am so loving it..... kiss
Re: There And Back On Time (Nairaland Best Story of all Time) by ZUBY77(m): 1:45pm On Jul 11, 2013
Chapter 70.

I got to the bar and sat down on the long stool facing tens of different whiskey bottles turned upside down in a raft.
I looked carefully at them until I found the one I wanted to drink.

Since most of the portuguse middle class didn't know english words, I pointed to a bottle of Chivas Regal scotch and asked the bartender to give me two shots while raising two fingers.
She ( a young lady) nodded, filled two shots and poured them inside a bigger glass. I gulped the entire contents once and asked for more two.

After payment, I took the second glass down to the hall where the snooker tables were located. I sat down and watched two people played the game.

I wasn't good at snooker and table tennis but I liked them. I watched them play while I sipped my spirit slowly.

When it was about 10 pm, Jennifer called me. She wanted to know why I had not returned.
I didn't tell her that I was going to meet with her madam at the Elephant Blanco.

I told her where I was and promised to come back in an hour. I wanted to waste as much time as possible before going home. Despite enjoying the Jennifer affairs, I was beginning to get scared.
I had wondered why miss madam had brought the two thugs.
Was she hoping to beat me into releasing jennifer? Or perhaps kill me; anything was possible.

It was time to play out my own card. I called miss madam and told her how stupid she had acted. I was getting drunk and I knew that my words were not guided but it was time to play.

'' I have enough evidence to show the police that you are trafficking girls to Europe'' I said as soon as she picked my phone.
'' I recorded our discussion in Rossio and I am going to the Police to give it to them'' I said.
'' I know where you live, Jennifer had told me. I am no longer interested in your 1000 euros since you want war. The price is now 4000 euros and I need it tomorrow'' I said in a very calm voice.

'' If you make one more mistake, you won't see jennifer again and I will send the record to the Police'' I said again and hung up.

My phone rang immediately but I didn't pick it.

I knew that blackmail was a serious offence too but not when human trafficking was the issue.

On her second attempt at calling me, I picked the phone.
A male voice greeted me and asked how and where I would like to receive the money.

* Amateurs. So easily, no way. They were not ready to back down. The game had to change*

I hung up the phone without saying anything. They called back a few minutes later and when I picked the phone again, it was the Madam's voice.

'' Bros wetin I do you, I no know you before and you no know me, why you dey do this to me'' she said.

'' 4000 euros tomorrow or stop calling me'' I said and hung up again.

One of the men playing snooker looked at me and continued what he was doing. I had called out the money loud enough for them to pick interest.
I went back to the bar for more drinks and as soon as I picked up my change to leave the bar, the man from the snooker table tapped me on the shoulder.

'' You American?'' he asked.
'' Yea, American'' I lied.
He nodded and introduced himself as Jose.
He was from Lagos area in the Southernmost district of Portugal called Faro. He had lived in Africa, Luanda precisely. He had decided to live in Lisbon and work after three years in Angola.
He liked Africa and the Africans and always wanted to chat with them. He was also interested in learning more English but since he didn't have time to study it in School, he loved to interact with people in English. According to him, was a football player until he broke his legs on a game he played for Beira mar against Belenense in the Portuguese first division. He had traveled to Angola to work when it became obvious that he couldn't play anymore.
He lived across the street according to him and asked the hotel where I stayed.
I told him that it was across the river Tagus in Hotel Madrid. I also told him that it was expensive and asked if he could show me a cheap hotel since I still had many days to stay. I had changed my accent to American but I doubt he noticed the flaws in it. He hardly spoke good english, so I figured he couldn't differentiate between accents; I was wrong.

He took me to a one room student apartment where foreign students lived. It was a little noisy for my liking but it was better and safer than where I lived. It was a new house.

I rented a one-room apartment at the rate of 25 euros a day and paid for two weeks. I gave them 350 euros and went down stairs with Jose.
Jose was about 25 years, it was very easy to interact with him. I told him that I was going to get my bag and that we would meet at the bar the next day.
I took a taxi all the way to the train station and boarded a train back to Lisbon central area.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: There And Back On Time (Nairaland Best Story of all Time) by skoloppy31(m): 3:52pm On Jul 11, 2013
I need some lectures here on how to cope in europe,,,,,,,,,,,,,, germany on my mind. oga zubby nice pics.infact u dn travel pass ajala self.*sippin ma alomo and ogidiga wit enthusiasm for da next update.after 10 minutes barman gimme 2bottles of trophy, gulder, stout, 33, becks, star, goldberg, harp, tusk, turbo king, smirnoff ice wit 5plates of point and killl.........
Re: There And Back On Time (Nairaland Best Story of all Time) by titsqueez(m): 4:32pm On Jul 11, 2013
Guy just forget the yanshings concentrate on survival techniques in Europe. 'Guide for the newbies'. Waiting for more updates

2 Likes

Re: There And Back On Time (Nairaland Best Story of all Time) by Madawaki01(m): 4:50pm On Jul 11, 2013
More more more

1 Like

Re: There And Back On Time (Nairaland Best Story of all Time) by liljboy(m): 4:56pm On Jul 11, 2013
click2cbn: BINI JUJU for dat matter
Benin juju my foot. . . Dey for dey carry am disappear go germany la. . Mtchew

2 Likes

Re: There And Back On Time (Nairaland Best Story of all Time) by fulli16(m): 5:06pm On Jul 11, 2013
DIS IS TRUELY ONE OF THE BEST THREAD I AV VISITED SINCE I GOT REGISTERD

OGA ZUBBY...i hang ma p*nt on a flag pole in respect.

**squats down in front f d front roll**
following!!!

3 Likes

Re: There And Back On Time (Nairaland Best Story of all Time) by Udochee(m): 5:52pm On Jul 11, 2013
As people don occupy front row seats,make i follow fulli seat down 4 front row ground(abeg shift smal)....ride on oga na teytey i don remove 'bodydresses' 4 u.pls increase d spontaneity of d updates.there are many lessons stil to b learnt
Re: There And Back On Time (Nairaland Best Story of all Time) by Nobody: 6:16pm On Jul 11, 2013
I covered this whole page in 24hrs. Bros i dey wait ooo ur tory make sense
Re: There And Back On Time (Nairaland Best Story of all Time) by ZUBY77(m): 7:15pm On Jul 11, 2013
Chapter 71.

We were already in the second half of December and everywhere had started being cold. Snow had started falling in Western Europe down to the Northern Spain and OPorto ( Porto) area in Northern Portugal. The cold breeze from the north brought down the temperature in Lisbon to about 13 degrees celsius, which was considered cold down there in Lisbon.

I figured that miss madam and her squad wouldn't wait for too long around my house in that weather if they knew where I lived. I suspected they knew where I lived anyway because someone must have pointed her to me in the first Place.
I called jennifer to open the stairwell door before I arrived.
I took a taxi to my street and as soon as I stopped, I jumped into the house and closed the door. I waited at the door to see if I could detect some movements outside but I heard nothing.
We went up and I told her what had happened during the day. She was very sorry for putting my life in Danger.
She said she knew the two men who had come with madam to the elephant Blanco restaurant. She told me their names and said that they were the people who usually shake down Madam's girls if they fall behind in weekly payments.
She said their names were Efe, a Nigerian and Abu A Guinean.
I wrote down their names inside my phone.

I told Jennifer that we were going somewhere in the morning. She asked where it was and I told her it was in the MONTIJO area across the River. She had no objection.
Early in the morning, I called a taxi and we loaded our bags.
I had woken Francis up and told him I was going to live somewhere else. I told him to call me if I received a letter from the Immigration people.

Since we lived in The AMADORA area of Lisbon, We took the shorter route across PONTE 25 DE ABRIL bridge across the River and got to ALMADA before going to the hostel where I had rented. The lady receptionist gave me my keys and we walked up to the first floor apartment.

There was no TV or Fridge in the apartment. Just a bed, a reading chair and table, a reading lamp, a window over-looking the Tagus river, an Electric cooker, an electric kettle, and some other useless items.

We settled down and made tea. jennifer was feeling cold and I could tell that she was also scared of how things were turning out. I was scared a bit too but I couldn't show it. I had underestimated miss Madam's powers.
We slept in the single bed afterwards and woke up around 10am.

I called Johnson, my master in Germany and demanded for 5000 Euros. I knew that the next few days would be critical and I needed to have enough money to run out to any country in Europe with Jennifer if things became more hostile.
I got the money through western Union an hour later and hid it from Jennifer. I also had over 2000 euros left from the money I had earlier.

In the afternoon, I called Jose, my snooker friend and told him that I was around. He was not around but promised to come as soon as he returned.

I took Jennifer to a mall and bought some canned foods that would be enough for us for a week or more. She insisted on buying two pots and a frying pan. We also got a 10kg bag of Basmati rice and some tomato pastes. We bought a Small TV and a video DVD player. Then we went back to our apartment.

There was no mood or appetite for sexxx, so we just laid on the bed and talked about Nigeria, Olokun, Germany and other unimportant talks.

Jose called me an hour later to meet him at the bar. I took Jennifer along and went to the bar. I ordered for a full bottle of Chivas at 60 Euros and took it to a table. Jose saw us and came. I had brought a glass for him. We drank two fills and got down to business.
I told Jose that I was not an American. He laughed and said he knew from my English accent. He said I was a Nigerian and there was no point arguing. I told him why I was at the bar the night before and why I was running from those people. I told him about Jennifer and how I intended to help her travel to another European country to take asylum or even go back to Nigeria. He listened carefully and was full of anger when I finished.
He said we will use the evidence to get the money from the madam and still report to the policia.

We went to my apartment and Jose called the Madam with his phone. He claimed that he was my close friend and that I was in his house at that moment. He said I had a recorded message that implicated her in a human trafficking crime.
He played the recorded message to the Madam and demanded for 10,000 euros.
He threatened to go to the Policia if she didn't get back to him through the same phone number in an hour, then he hung up.

After the call, we went down and strolled into the district center. We took a taxi to The Lisbon Oceanarium located in the Parque das Nacoes. The Oceanarium had the largest collection of marine species - birds, fish, mammals and other marine organisms. There were hundreds of tourists at the Oceanarium; we mixed up and enjoyed our lives before madam and her thugs would make another unpredicted move. Late in the evening, we took a taxi and drove back to our apartment.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: There And Back On Time (Nairaland Best Story of all Time) by obinoral(m): 7:22pm On Jul 11, 2013
More ink to ur pen big bro.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: There And Back On Time (Nairaland Best Story of all Time) by tosomaju(m): 7:55pm On Jul 11, 2013
Wow!!! Sexcapade, drugs, blackmail, action, on-the-run, intelligence, perfect narrative skill, simple choice of grammar, frequent update..............
Am loving it.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: There And Back On Time (Nairaland Best Story of all Time) by olenyi: 7:59pm On Jul 11, 2013
We here bro. Following. Can't let go. Keep it up.
Re: There And Back On Time (Nairaland Best Story of all Time) by ZUBY77(m): 8:14pm On Jul 11, 2013
Chapter 72. Meet the devil

Mrs Osasere Aburime, popularly called Madam Grace had lived in Portugal 15 years prior to the Jennifer incidence. She was famous for trafficking teenage girls from Nigeria across West Africa to Europe. Rumour had it that she had apartments in Cotonou, Accra, Abidjan, Freetown and Bamako. They said she also ran local brothels in Napoli and Malaga.

She had settled a number of girls who had paid up huge amounts of money to her after many years of prostitution. She would use the money to sponsor other girls from Africa to Europe and that was how she made her money. It was rumoured that the Police had been on her trail for over two years but they had not been able to caught her red handed. She had been using some shakers including Efe and Abu to retrieve money from her girls. She was as a matter of fact, running the biggest African Human trafficking syndicate in the City of Lisbon.

Madam Grace had a Permanent Resident permit in Portugal where she had been living for years. She was married to another Edo state born man who was just a statue in her life since she dictated the pace of the marriage and more. They had three daughters and no son. They lived in Baixa ( downtown) area where most of the residents were non European citizens.
Madam Grace also had an African shop where she sold food items from Africa as a cover up for her operations. She also sold Drinks in a small room behind her store where she rented out to people for quick sexxx.
Her cup was getting full. She had rented an apartment for her girls in Lisbon where they lived. According to Jennifer, the apartment where the girls lived was in an area of Lisbon called Belem. It was miles apart from where she lived and only a few of her favourite girls were privileged to know where madam Grace lived; Jennifer was one of them.

Unfortunately for her, Jennifer knew her real names and the address where she lived.

I had started collecting info on her from the moment she confronted me for the first time in Colombo business district.
I had piled up a dossier on her and as it stood, I was going to make money out of it since she was after me.

Over 6 hours after Jose's call, she called him back and begged him to reduce the money. She gave two conditions to us.
She wanted us to reduce the money to 1000 euros which was the original asking price and the second condition was that she must get Jennifer back.

I wasn't that interested in the money but getting Jennifer back was a non-negotiable affair. Jennifer said she wasn't going back and that was where I stood.

We were eagerly waiting for Olokun to strike us down from A small river in a Benin forest of Edo state Nigeria. I had talked some sense into Jennifer and she had understood that fear was the greatest enemy of human mind.

Jose hung the phone and laughed at the amount the woman agreed to pay. I was tempted to go for the money but Jose said we could get much more. He said since the woman had a permit from Portugal, she would be fished out anywhere in Europe if she ran away. He also argued that madam Grace must have had other girls around Europe which meant that she couldn't run down to Africa; A claim Jennifer affirmed. Jose was thinking like a criminal and I began to be wary of him too.

Madam Grace called back and increased to 2000 euros plus Jennifer. Jose proposed 8000 euros minus Jennifer. They continued the argument.

Jose cut off the phone calls every two and half minutes. He told me that it would take the Policia about three minutes to place a trace on any phone call.

When Madam Grace called again for the fifth time, she asked where I was. jose told her that I went down to get a bag for traveling out of the Country and that if she didn't come across the river with the money in the morning, it could be too late. They had settled for 5000 euros Plus Jennifer but I was not going to let her go. Madam Grace would skin Jennifer alive if she got her hand on her again.

We devised a plan on how to get the money.

Jose will drive with two other people who would be waiting in the car some few meters away from the exchange point.
She would naturally demand for Jennifer since she had told us to come with her to the exchange point.
Jose would then tell her that those people in the car were his police friends and that he had not told them about the exchange.
He would threaten to call them if madam refused to hand the money to him.

He had also told madam not to come with his hit squad Efe and Abu. He told madam Grace that he knew all about her and that he would call the deal off if he saw any of them in the area. Madam was told to come with a taxi and not the train. She was also told to come to a busy area where his hit squad, if she managed to bring them along, could not be able to do anything.

At about 11am on December 24, 2005, Jose called Madam and they agreed to meet at the AVENIDA DE LIBERTADE, (The liberty avenue, a 90-meter wide avenue) the busiest avenue in Lisbon Portugal.

14 Likes

Re: There And Back On Time (Nairaland Best Story of all Time) by ZUBY77(m): 8:17pm On Jul 11, 2013
Minimum of 20 comments and ratings before the next update.

Thanks in Advance.

6 Likes

Re: There And Back On Time (Nairaland Best Story of all Time) by Connoisseur(m): 8:24pm On Jul 11, 2013
And they said no good thing can come out of onitsha

nwa otu carry go

6 Likes

Re: There And Back On Time (Nairaland Best Story of all Time) by obinoral(m): 8:28pm On Jul 11, 2013
1000likes
Re: There And Back On Time (Nairaland Best Story of all Time) by Nobody: 8:30pm On Jul 11, 2013
Oya let d comments start pouring! Ur adventure no b today things oh!! IMO we don't need to rate it since its a true life adventure n not a fiction

1 Like

Re: There And Back On Time (Nairaland Best Story of all Time) by Nobody: 8:34pm On Jul 11, 2013
Kai. Bros dis ur story has entered my head finally. Abeg continue ooo dont keep us waiting. My comment covers the 20 comments. grin grin grin
Re: There And Back On Time (Nairaland Best Story of all Time) by bigx(m): 8:43pm On Jul 11, 2013
ZUBY77: Minimum of 20 comments and ratings before the next update.

Thanks in Advance.

Lol, next one hour or less.
Been reading and enjoying the story since I discvered it sunday.
Excellent writing.
Wonderful story

1 Like

Re: There And Back On Time (Nairaland Best Story of all Time) by MrTroll(m): 8:46pm On Jul 11, 2013
I've endorsed this topic for front page to the literature section MOD. He may have to edit the sex scenes, I hope you don't mind?
Re: There And Back On Time (Nairaland Best Story of all Time) by DankemzI(m): 8:57pm On Jul 11, 2013
Zubby you're da bOss. I hang ma pants out of respect...ride on
Re: There And Back On Time (Nairaland Best Story of all Time) by tolutweety(m): 9:00pm On Jul 11, 2013
Like ur writing skills.got me captivated.
Re: There And Back On Time (Nairaland Best Story of all Time) by Donlouise(m): 9:01pm On Jul 11, 2013
Oga zubby u 2 much jor! 9ce write up. 1000likes
Re: There And Back On Time (Nairaland Best Story of all Time) by nuelkaosi(m): 9:12pm On Jul 11, 2013
Mehn!! This story sounds like James Hadley Chase... Welldone there ogah Zubby
Re: There And Back On Time (Nairaland Best Story of all Time) by ceasare: 9:14pm On Jul 11, 2013
oga dis suspense too much abeg atleast 3 chapters before any break.....biko!
Re: There And Back On Time (Nairaland Best Story of all Time) by Madawaki01(m): 9:31pm On Jul 11, 2013
More

13th comment
Re: There And Back On Time (Nairaland Best Story of all Time) by Funpeter: 9:34pm On Jul 11, 2013
Oga zubby i doff my hat for you and also have missed our group chart dont knw if u can add me up again tanks man more greese to ur elbow bro
Re: There And Back On Time (Nairaland Best Story of all Time) by Memphis357(m): 9:51pm On Jul 11, 2013
Zuby aka The black "Harrod Robbins"....
You're a master storyteller. Na Tonto Dike go play Jennifer part when d movie go come screen.....
I don already talk say na me go play your part O!!
Re: There And Back On Time (Nairaland Best Story of all Time) by Nobody: 10:45pm On Jul 11, 2013
16th comment!! 4 more to go! I rate u 11/10
Re: There And Back On Time (Nairaland Best Story of all Time) by tosomaju(m): 11:08pm On Jul 11, 2013
Does it mean i wouldn't get @least 1dose of my intriguing story-tonic b4 i sleep? That will mean violating doctor's directive
Re: There And Back On Time (Nairaland Best Story of all Time) by Nobody: 11:12pm On Jul 11, 2013
Zubby is the man...

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (162) (Reply)

NYSC: National Year Of Sex And Comfort <<<Adventure of the year: 2013 Awards >>> / Story Of Addiction..... (love Story) / Love Hiccups

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.