Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,824 members, 7,817,401 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:37 AM

Shoprite Opens In Ibadan - Politics (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Shoprite Opens In Ibadan (34871 Views)

When Shoprite Opens In Igbo Land (graphic Picture) / Nizamiye Hospital Opens In Abuja(pictures) / Intercontinental Hotel Opens In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Shoprite Opens In Ibadan by delpee(f): 10:55pm On Jul 01, 2013
@nuclearboy
Nice pics.

Bere is looking really good! No traders / danfo drivers blocking the road and the environment is clean. Governor has done well. I passed through Iwo Rd on my last visit and was surprised at the transformation and absence of the 'go slow' of the past. The circular/ring road around town being planned will open up new areas and decongest the city hopefully.
I wish we could have pictures of Akobo, Jericho etc.
Re: Shoprite Opens In Ibadan by CyberG: 1:32am On Jul 02, 2013
Those picture are good indeed! Well, the people who will never see anything good in the SW are known haters anyway! Ibadan and the SW generally was a city-state as far back as before the 1800s with real houses! I have read about references to the Yorubas (Anago, Lucum, etc) in history books that go back 10,000 years and I don't even know as much history as some people here, whom I won't even mention their names! The haters (ibos really) on the other hand were "discovered" in the 1900s! I have read about Yoruba wars that go almost into the mediaeval times, that is as far back as the 1400s! So it is funny in an annoying way when ibos who were still living in the forests and tying palm fronds around their waists in the 1900s, spew thrash from their gobs.

1 Like

Re: Shoprite Opens In Ibadan by EkoIle1: 2:53am On Jul 02, 2013
ngozievergreen:

Dilapidating and poor looking rusty houses are your culture and heritage? keep it coming.

i guess your politicians live in those houses too.

mind u, there is nothing African about old cemented houses and rusty corrugated zinc sheet, all those are the result of lack of money to maintain/renovate an UNAFRICAN house. so, leave culture out of this.

i suppose the white men that brought these tnz live in your kind of houses in their countries. Even Lagos through which the white men came to Nigeria has those houses everywhere, huh? Early devt indeed, wetin cum arrest ibadan's development for many decades now?

You must have though I posted that for shallow and ignorant low grade village clowns ..
Re: Shoprite Opens In Ibadan by cherrykim: 11:35am On Jul 02, 2013
naptu2:

Below: Kingsway Department Stores Ibadan at christmas time in the 1970s.

My Ibadan, I love Ibadan.
Re: Shoprite Opens In Ibadan by Nobody: 6:15pm On Jul 02, 2013
nuclearboy:

And where do you see culture "preservation" in MY post(s)? Everyplace is progressing and I wish the SE the best (not all of us see these NL wars as sensible) but Ibadan has storey buildings built before 1900 - you can't expect every family to have developed at same pace and have modernized their heritage, can you?

u are really the only one thinking.

Sorry, the preservation of culture was said by your brothers and i say Capital NO to that ideology.
Its good u believe places should flow with the trend.
Thanks, SE is set out for the best.
Re: Shoprite Opens In Ibadan by Nobody: 6:33pm On Jul 02, 2013
CyberG: Those picture are good indeed! Well, the people who will never see anything good in the SW are known haters anyway! Ibadan and the SW generally was a city-state as far back as before the 1800s with real houses! I have read about references to the Yorubas (Anago, Lucum, etc) in history books that go back 10,000 years and I don't even know as much history as some people here, whom I won't even mention their names! The haters (ibos really) on the other hand were "discovered" in the 1900s! I have read about Yoruba wars that go almost into the mediaeval times, that is as far back as the 1400s! So it is funny in an annoying way when ibos who were still living in the forests and tying palm fronds around their waists in the 1900s, spew thrash from their gobs.

every city in SE are ppl villages my friend. Onitsha, nnewi, Aba,awka etc. Enugu capital is the nativeland for the Nike ppl of The state. So, sont give me that sh!t plus all u have been pasting in your past threads

1 Like

Re: Shoprite Opens In Ibadan by geeez: 7:00pm On Jul 02, 2013
ngozievergreen:

every city in SE are ppl villages my friend. Onitsha, nnewi, Aba,awka etc. Enugu capital is the nativeland for the Nike ppl of The state. So, sont give me that sh!t plus all u have been pasting in your past threads

Just like many places in Lagos are people's villages (like I'm from Lafiaji, Lagos Island) and so is Ibadan, Abeokuta and every developed Yoruba city
Re: Shoprite Opens In Ibadan by naptu2: 7:20pm On Jul 02, 2013
geeez:

Just like many places in Lagos are people's villages (like I'm from Lafiaji, Lagos Island) and so is Ibadan, Abeokuta and every developed Yoruba city

Wow! Lafiaji! The red and white.
Re: Shoprite Opens In Ibadan by geeez: 7:29pm On Jul 02, 2013
naptu2:

Wow! Lafiaji! The red and white.

Eyo O!

Adamu Orisha

Oya show color e
Re: Shoprite Opens In Ibadan by citizenisb: 8:21pm On Jul 02, 2013
Very seriously it is all about bread in Egypt ... they have no solution to feed their people, which is why the military may not even want to rule there

---

Egypt might be the world tipping point showcasing the horror of out-of-control birth rates by poor people in Africa

For years now Egyptians have been living on food subsidies given to them, while multiplying babies exponentially

But Egypt is mostly desert, much farmland is ruined, and they have no viable large scale economy or industry

And if the world sends them money and food they will just have more babies

In their blind desperate fury the Egyptians are turning on each other, or on differing political groups or on religious minorities, like their 10 % Coptic Christians, or Shia or other minority Muslims

But the real problem is continually exploding over-population, by poor uneducated unemployed people, Egyptians who then mostly cut the genitals of their female children as well as circumcising the boys

Egypt is a crazy place

As it sinks into famine, the world will confront: Is there any other solution to over-population other than measures of repression and dictatorship ?

---

The rest of the world seems to be able to develop the common sense to limit numbers of children ... but not Africans, no matter what.

A couple decades back, there was famine in Ethiopia, when a large portion of the 40 million Ethiopians were hungry

World poured in money and aid and food, better farming techiques etc.

Now there are 80 million Ethiopians, population has doubled in no time. And it seems there is famine again ...

Demographers are hesitantly pointing out that the last continent of population boom, is Africa, and in fact most of the next 3 billion people to be added to the current world 7 billion, will come from Africa

From Canadian journalist (Mr) Gwynne Dyer, 'The African Population Disaster':

« ... much tutting and shaking of heads over its prediction that we will be ten billion by the end of the century. But almost nobody will have the temerity to point out that this is almost entirely an African problem ...

« The United Nations Population Fund’s own numbers tell the story. Africa currently has one-seventh of the world’s people: just over one billion. But during the rest of the century, the UN agency predicts, this single continent will add an extra 2.6 billion people, more than tripling in population, while all the rest of the world adds just half a billion. ...

« If it weren’t for the African population boom, the world’s population would never exceed 7.5 billion. »

http://gwynnedyer.com/2011/the-african-population-disaster/

1 Like

Re: Shoprite Opens In Ibadan by nuclearboy(m): 9:06pm On Jul 02, 2013
delpee: @nuclearboy
Nice pics.

Bere is looking really good! No traders / danfo drivers blocking the road and the environment is clean. Governor has done well. I passed through Iwo Rd on my last visit and was surprised at the transformation and absence of the 'go slow' of the past. The circular/ring road around town being planned will open up new areas and decongest the city hopefully.
I wish we could have pictures of Akobo, Jericho etc.

Soon - my weekdays are unreasonably busy, but will, asap, though Jericho get as e be now with the widening of the road. smiley

Re: Shoprite Opens In Ibadan by nuclearboy(m): 9:18pm On Jul 02, 2013
Ibadan is really beautiful AND serene. And what I noticed is that no matter where one got to, there's always the mix - old and new aside the truly "new" areas that will scare even some residents of Victoria Island.

So I laugh at the idea of Shoprite being considered over the top here.
Re: Shoprite Opens In Ibadan by Nobody: 9:41pm On Jul 02, 2013
Bro, can u open a thread on pics of roads in IB? @nuclearboy
Re: Shoprite Opens In Ibadan by eaglechild: 10:26pm On Jul 02, 2013
CyberG: Those picture are good indeed! Well, the people who will never see anything good in the SW are known haters anyway! Ibadan and the SW generally was a city-state as far back as before the 1800s with real houses! I have read about references to the Yorubas (Anago, Lucum, etc) in history books that go back 10,000 years and I don't even know as much history as some people here, whom I won't even mention their names! The haters (ibos really) on the other hand were "discovered" in the 1900s! I have read about Yoruba wars that go almost into the mediaeval times, that is as far back as the 1400s! So it is funny in an annoying way when ibos who were still living in the forests and tying palm fronds around their waists in the 1900s, spew thrash from their gobs.
shocked shocked
Please strike off two zeroes.
Re: Shoprite Opens In Ibadan by nuclearboy(m): 10:34pm On Jul 02, 2013
django1: Bro, can u open a thread on pics of roads in IB? @nuclearboy

Pls do that and I will upload what I have - I didn't want to derail this thread, just to buttress the idea that Ibadan is more than worth the idea of giant marts

1 Like

Re: Shoprite Opens In Ibadan by delpee(f): 10:57pm On Jul 02, 2013
nuclearboy:

Soon - my weekdays are unreasonably busy, but will, asap, though Jericho get as e be now with the widening of the road. smiley

Thanks. There's much more to see in Ibadan beyond the red roofs of the old city. BTW there is also Idi ishin and other nice areas near Jericho.
Shoprite is no big deal compared to the departmental stores of the 70s and 80s.
I notice that there are beautiful events halls now e.g. the Civic Centre at Agodi GRA and some around ring road.
People only concentrate on the ancient part of the city. The beautiful mansions are in new areas and the GRAs. Truly a thread on the new areas will be nice.
Re: Shoprite Opens In Ibadan by Nobody: 11:03pm On Jul 02, 2013
Re: Shoprite Opens In Ibadan by Nobody: 11:19pm On Jul 02, 2013
geeez:

Guy, remove Lagos from the equation.

Again, i only responded to the guy dat way because he respected himself in his comments.

But really, Ibadan no try. Truth be told. Aside the public buildings, nothing else
Re: Shoprite Opens In Ibadan by funnyx(m): 11:25pm On Jul 02, 2013
ngozievergreen:

Again, i only responded to the guy dat way because he respected himself in his comments.

But really, Ibadan no try. Truth be told. Aside the public buildings, nothing else

Shut the fck up and go get a life! What really is your problem with Ibadan? You don't belong there so keep your bigoted opinion to yourself. If you're really concerned about others you can book the next flight to Egypt. Shio!
Re: Shoprite Opens In Ibadan by EmperorOlu: 11:30pm On Jul 02, 2013
`
chidindufrank: South Africans making billions in our country, but they don't want our people to have peace in their own country.

[size=15pt]Sharrap,olodo angry Better thank South Africa for coming to Nigeria to expose your bush people to the good life.If not for shoprite your village azz will still be buying groceries in muddy markets where flies and area boys will be buzzing you every corner grin.If not for them we won't have all these modern affordable businesses springing up in Nigeria everyday.Show gratitude where it is due.Soon they will revamp the medical and property industry so that your village azz can get quality medical care and affordable housing.They bring business and jobs to Nigeria while we bring crime to their country so show some f-cking gratitude boy[/size]

2 Likes

Re: Shoprite Opens In Ibadan by geeez: 6:54am On Jul 03, 2013
ngozievergreen:

Ibadan no try but the GDP of Oyo is bigger than that of any state in the SE. How about that?
Re: Shoprite Opens In Ibadan by Nobody: 7:58am On Jul 03, 2013
geeez:

Ibadan no try but the GDP of Oyo is bigger than that of any state in the SE. How about that?

yorubas cant clain more dan 10 percent of the revenue generated in the SW. Fact.
In igboland, igbos generate their revenue. So wats ur excitement exactly?
Re: Shoprite Opens In Ibadan by Nobody: 8:22am On Jul 03, 2013
ngozievergreen:

yorubas cant clain more dan 10 percent of the revenue generated in the SW. Fact.

Ngozi go and rest no one get your time again.
Re: Shoprite Opens In Ibadan by nuclearboy(m): 8:22am On Jul 03, 2013
ngozievergreen:

Ma'am,

If not for anything else but because of you, I will go out once this fuel crisis is past and come post photos that will let you know why in Ibadan, we usually laugh at Lagosians and call them vacuous boasters. This is the town where individuals build 15 storey buildings
Re: Shoprite Opens In Ibadan by geeez: 8:36am On Jul 03, 2013
ngozievergreen:

Very funny. Why not go and generate all that revenue for your state?

Major industries, companies and institutions that contribute to the SW's GDP and has caused an increase in IGR in Ogun State for instance, from N730m to over N3b per month in less than two years, are not owned by Igbos but Yorubas and some multinationals with Yoruba stakes

Igbos engage in retail trading which in the tax office's estimation doesn't make up to 20% of the total taxes made. Either your people are evading taxes or you've been living a lie
Re: Shoprite Opens In Ibadan by topazjosh(m): 9:40am On Jul 03, 2013
ketoprofen: laugh wan kill me die

1) and who the hell is asking everybody where they are from? starting with me, am from Enugu state. Am sure u dont want to compare Ibadan to Enugu, the capital or have u got that liver? nonsense.

2) @ CyberG, What are u talking about Adenuga and Dangote? U sure know how to talk wetin u no fit defend.how many Nigerian shopping plazas in Lagos and especially Abuja are not owned by igbos? Abeokuta peeps on this thread has yabbed Ibadan too, so leave igbos out of this. Imagine your own ppl fighting which is beta btw ABK and Ibadan and to think d two wack places are even the most popular of yoruba regions is making me smh. Enugu get shoprite, anambra and abia are stl building theirs , who exactly is envious of ibadan shoprite, and let me tell u, the idea of a foreign shop is not even good for the nigerian economy, so bone that envy talk. Nonsense

3) even with the shoprite, insteading of using their car horns, ibadan men will keep using their mouths to shout at any body/car driver that is obstructing their path on the road.

lol,omo ale ni boy yi,hahaha
Re: Shoprite Opens In Ibadan by Nobody: 4:43pm On Jul 03, 2013
geeez:

Very funny. Why not go and generate all that revenue for your state?

Major industries, companies and institutions that contribute to the SW's GDP and has caused an increase in IGR in Ogun State for instance, from N730m to over N3b per month in less than two years, are not owned by Igbos but Yorubas and some multinationals with Yoruba stakes

Igbos engage in retail trading which in the tax office's estimation doesn't make up to 20% of the total taxes made. Either your people are evading taxes or you've been living a lie

Na multinational companies dey generate those revenue. Much of d rest are not still yorubas.

U said igbos are into just retail? U wish. Who cum dey do whole sale? Not to talk of indigenous manufacturing; and importation.

Look, there is no point for u and i to thread in this path, its just that u need to be put in your place . Y do u like SE a lot?
Re: Shoprite Opens In Ibadan by ba7man(m): 5:49pm On Jul 03, 2013
EmperorOlu: `

[size=15pt]Sharrap,olodo angry Better thank South Africa for coming to Nigeria to expose your bush people to the good life.If not for shoprite your village azz will still be buying groceries in muddy markets where flies and area boys will be buzzing you every corner grin.If not for them we won't have all these modern affordable businesses springing up in Nigeria everyday.Show gratitude where it is due.Soon they will revamp the medical and property industry so that your village azz can get quality medical care and affordable housing.They bring business and jobs to Nigeria while we bring crime to their country so show some f-cking gratitude boy[/size]
Though your delivery is acidic.....its the truth.

We need foreign investors to move in and show how its done since a lot of Nigerians refuse to seize the initiative.

1 Like

Re: Shoprite Opens In Ibadan by thelonestranger: 8:58pm On Jul 05, 2013
The problem with Shoprite though is high cost of items and long checkout time. It has the advantage of more variety over shops like Foodco.. You have a choice of a 2 - 15minute checkout at Foodco or a 30minute checkout at Shoprite.. Existing shops shouldn't lose sleep over arrival of Shoprite in Ibadan.
Re: Shoprite Opens In Ibadan by ujoinme: 3:27pm On Jul 06, 2013
CyberG: The only thing that is BAD here is that I would prefer if this were a store chain owned by Nigerians doing business in Nigeria and in foreign countries! Foreign countries should not be allowed to make billions off our country! Dangote has tried! Adenuga has tried! They cannot do EVERYTHING! (Correction: Shoprite is owned by Americans - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ShopRite_(United_States))

The people poking fun at Ibadan here are of course mostly ibos! Anything that adds progress to the Yoruba South West gives them diarrhea of the mouth and brain! LWTMB! grin grin But there is no question why, just complete this puzzle: 1 9 6 _ - 1 _ 7 0! Other puzzles will be made public in time! grin grin

Shoprite is not American but a south african company. trust what the coy say about their history not wiki. heres the link for you and next time do more research than what is pasted on wikipedia. http://www.shopriteholdings.co.za/pages/1019812640/about-our-company/history.asp

according to your wiki site there is a difference btw the ShopRite USA and shoprite ZA the one investing and doing business in nigeria is the ZA shoprite.

Shoprite (South Africa), the South African food distributor
Shoprite (Isle of Man), the Isle of Man-based food retailer that once traded in the United Kingdom
ShopRite (United States), the retailers' cooperative (co-op) chain of supermarkets in the northeastern U.S.
ShopRite LPGA Classic, a women's professional golf tournament in the United States, sponsored by the supermarket chain
Shop-Rite, a Canadian catalogue store that operated from the 1970s to 1982
Re: Shoprite Opens In Ibadan by ujoinme: 3:52pm On Jul 06, 2013
thelonestranger: The problem with Shoprite though is high cost of items and long checkout time. It has the advantage of more variety over shops like Foodco.. You have a choice of a 2 - 15minute checkout at Foodco or a 30minute checkout at Shoprite.. Existing shops shouldn't lose sleep over arrival of Shoprite in Ibadan.

That will easily be remedied once nigerian market proves profitable and stable. shoprite is yet to build its own mall on their property in nigeria yet. they are just leasing space in existing malls in nigeria to test and develope the retail chain market in nigeria.

There is plan to build 50 locations of their own in nigeria in the future and accquisation of land has started. A city like ibadan with its population density if backed by sales in this test/present location will easily have up to 5 more stores.

Shop rite has over seven brands of stores besides shoprite such as:checkers, usave,liquor, pharmacy,etc.
and they run almost 400 stores in ZA alone servicing a population far less than the population of nigeria.

If they make ample profit which is their aim in being here in the first place i suspect there will be a lot of outlets in nigeria in the future.

And dont forget that among retail chains globally shoprite is ranked 97th though ranked 1st within Africa, which means 96 retail chains far bigger than shop rite are watching what shoprite is doing breaking grounds in nigeria and africa.

If shoprites experiment proves profitable then we will see a lot of investment from some of the other 96 retail chains in these area because these companies are always looking at new profitable market to channel their expansion.

Retail is one of the areas of the economy that generate a lot of jobs in most countries around the world, and nigeria will be better off with retail chain development.

Just imagine the number of jobs it will create! indigenous supplier it will also create! and the local competition it will generate! remember MTN, ECONET foreign firms birthed the indigenous Globalcom.

keeping my fingers crossed.
and just praying that shoprite succeeds in Nigeria as it will open nigerian economy to a whole new level of possibilities.

2 Likes

Re: Shoprite Opens In Ibadan by Nobody: 5:48pm On Jul 06, 2013
I was in shoprite a few minutes ago, I just left, I spent almost 40mins on the queue!

People are just too many! I tried to buy something from PEP, o boy, when I saw the crowd I turned back immediately.

IB need like five of this mall.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Rotimi Amaechi And Abdulsalami Abubakar Laughing And Playing (Photo) / Osinbajo: ‘hope Nothing Happened To Trader Money’ – Nigerians React To Vp’s Cras / Youths Elect Representatives On Lagos SARS Panel. See How To Follow Proceedings

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.