Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,833 members, 7,817,441 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:18 PM

Shoprite Opens In Ibadan - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Shoprite Opens In Ibadan (34872 Views)

When Shoprite Opens In Igbo Land (graphic Picture) / Nizamiye Hospital Opens In Abuja(pictures) / Intercontinental Hotel Opens In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Shoprite Opens In Ibadan by Abimbade: 7:37am On Jun 29, 2013
CyberG:

What can of worms? Do you expect Ibadan, a developed city-state way back in the 1800's to be compared with Enugu or anywhere in Ibadan just discovered in the 1900's? I live in a city in the West in which they started building it 500 years ago (you will not believe it except you see it!) Here, there are big new buildings but there are buildings so old, they do not have any central ventilation system, why? Some of them were constructed in the 1920s and I am talking about a 4-Floor building! Now, anyone who compares the older buildings here with the newer ones built in the 1980's and after MUST be insane! Are you insane? If not, you would understand what those brown roofs in Ibadan mean!

Secondly, do you know that the city passed a law NOT to demolish the old buildings? You know the solution they found? Well, architects now redesigned the houses and rebuilt them on the inside without destroying the old-outside architecture in order to PRESERVE THE HISTORY of the people! Now, will you compare that to a new condo development built in 2013? Use your brain except you've never left Nigeria in your life you will have no clue! Think - don't you know the shiny buildings of today will be old relics in another 100 years? Well, that was how developed city-states like Ibadan were a hundred years ago before iboland or anything called ibos existed! And FYI, do not compare the entire iboland to Oyo State for the size of that one state is just about that of the entire iboland like someone pointed out!

You see your ignorance is appalling! So you travelled through Ibadan and it means you've seen the entire state! I bet you have never seen all of Enugu after years of living there but that single State is bigger than anything you can imagine! Have you been to Oluyole, Bodija, Ashi, Bashorun, Jericho, UI, etc to see development that Enugu only started trying to copy in the last few years? Those places have been built with grade A tarred roads since before I was born! Don't be stoopi.d!
WOW i love this im born and bred in ibadan and it amaze me wen some pple type nonsense abt the language and roofs and all manner of irrelevances here on nairaland. Thanks for opening their blind eyes.
Re: Shoprite Opens In Ibadan by jaybee3(m): 8:42am On Jun 29, 2013
Thread degenerates into another dick measuring contest. Seriously shaking ma big head

2 Likes

Re: Shoprite Opens In Ibadan by thelonestranger: 8:42am On Jun 29, 2013
django1: The way some peeps were hating on IB yesterday cos of shoprite ehn, you go fear oo.

Some ppl were asking why not PH or why not calabar instead of IB, same thing they said when KFC opened its first branch, "its going to close soon", "people only come to take pictures", now they've opened a better branch at bodija (a drive through).

Goods at shoprite are amazingly cheap, its a huge threat to local marketers, and a blessing to consumers.

IB is going places.

It is really amusing. The fact is that people don't know that an even BIGGER Shoprite is presently being constructed on Ring Road Ibadan where the old rubbish dump used to be. Laugh your life away on Nairaland . In Ibadan Shoprite is laughing to the bank(s)
Re: Shoprite Opens In Ibadan by fairygeh(f): 8:53am On Jun 29, 2013
Freewilly: It must be a daunting task to keep that place clean, Ibadan people are not known for their cleanness.
. Permit me to say that you are very stupid.you are a goat.foolish girl.
Re: Shoprite Opens In Ibadan by ketoprofen(m): 9:00am On Jun 29, 2013
if u ppl like reach 500 in number, use multiple usernames, etc.its undisputable.

Enugu is way better than Ibadan in all ramifications. the inhabitants, the roads, the greenry is even organised, the cleanliness, the orderliness, the fact that its an igbo town so im no go carry last, the foods,etc and of course the private buildings. thats how u know where prosperous ppl live. and none of shd give ma that ish of been in Enugu so and so time, u guys have not left ur enclave at all.

make i hear say Ibadan is the only old location in NIgeria, even Kano with all the so called hausa backwardness cant produce the number of poor houses in ibadan. u guys are simply poor. if u say they made laws not to demolish the dilapidated buildings because u are preserving culture in ibadan, then be prepared to admit they are doing same in all your towns because ABEOKUTA,AKURE, ado ekiti are all that way. Poverty-stricken culture indeed. the only good looking houses in ibadan are public buildings. After seeing the area that led to the ibadan govt house, i knew u guys are on a long thing.

Have u ever bothered to ask y yorubas are always romancing soaked garri? poverty.

2 Likes

Re: Shoprite Opens In Ibadan by Nobody: 9:01am On Jun 29, 2013
The Igbo think that they are the only ones that travel to other parts of the country. That is why they make mockery of places outside the SE. Enugu falls shot of being referred to a capital when compared with Ibadan.

1 Like

Re: Shoprite Opens In Ibadan by ketoprofen(m): 9:03am On Jun 29, 2013
dayokanu:

Ibadan compared to Enugu? Enugu wan die?

Abi no be the same Enugu ni

In 500yrs Enugu cant catch up with Ibadan

Enugu cant catch up with ibadan in poverty, i agree my brother. even in a million years. Good morning

3 Likes

Re: Shoprite Opens In Ibadan by ketoprofen(m): 9:05am On Jun 29, 2013
Ogbeche77: Report has it that customers who visited shoprite on it first day of opening in ibadan were over 102,000, but they recorded just N35,000 sale grin

Suprite ni ilu ibadan, Aku sopping ooo... Sopping atu wa lara ooo grin grin
Re: Shoprite Opens In Ibadan by naptu2: 9:08am On Jun 29, 2013
Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose! smiley

I remember that we had Kingsway at Marina, Leventis at Apapa, UTC on Broad Street, Bhjosons on Awolowo Road, CFAO/Moloney @ Moloney Street, etc.

A young girl was shocked and exclaimed, "Did you have cinemas in Nigeria in the 1970s?" I burst out laughing.

Now we've got The Palms Lekki, Adeniran Ogunsanya Mall, City Mall, Silverbird Galleria, etc.

1 Like

Re: Shoprite Opens In Ibadan by ketoprofen(m): 9:08am On Jun 29, 2013
Ola Johnson: The Igbo think that they are the only ones that travel to other parts of the country. That is why they make mockery of places outside the SE. Enugu falls shot of being referred to a capital when compared with Ibadan.

all of U have not provided any evidence to prove y ibadan shd be referred to as a capital, so forget it. am beginning to understand your stands, ibadan is probably your best thats y u cant stand the thing being under rated
Re: Shoprite Opens In Ibadan by Nobody: 9:16am On Jun 29, 2013
ketoprofen:

all of U have not provided any evidence to prove y ibadan shd be referred to as a capital, so forget it. am beginning to understand your stands, ibadan is probably your best thats y u cant stand the thing being under rated
I'm not here to engage in any argument with you: the seed of hatred has planted in you by your people, who make you believe everybody is against you. And for this reason nothing good should be seen in them.

1 Like

Re: Shoprite Opens In Ibadan by eaglechild: 9:28am On Jun 29, 2013
CyberG:

Why are you people so STOOPID for goodness sake? First and foremost, I can tell you VERY CONFIDENTLY that EVERY Yoruba South Westerner is PROUD of their heritage, history and every aspect of their culture, race, etc. You being an ibo man got no clue at all about what you are pretending to speak about. Now, your second point is even far beyond STOOPID when you assert that a SW state is wasting time over Lagos! Are you so small and hare-brained that you don't know that states are created for administrative and government purposes? If the entire land mass of the SW were divided into 100 states for administrative purposes, EVERY last square cm will be defended to the death until ALL greedy soldiers (MOSTLY IBOS) are completely destroyed! Since you are too dense, I will give you and your lot some education:

During the ill-conceived Biafra War, Ojukwu had his sights on Lagos, a bonafide and 100% Yoruba land and heritage! He claimed to be fighting the northerners but a land grab charted the course of his army to Sokoto (the seat of the Caliphate) to pass through Lagos. What happened? At the borders of Ore, LOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNGGGGG before he got anywhere near to Lagos, his ARMY was brutally crushed! Credit to the Nigerian Army from every other part of Nigeria but in that Army were soldiers from every Yoruba state, not counting Lagos and they defended it from the front until the last man of the aggressors were utterly destroyed! General of the Nigerian Army Benjamin Adekunle, Commander, 3 Marine Commando is from Ogbomosho, did you read the legends of the conquest of the biafran and ibo armies? How about General of the Nigerian Army, Olusegun Obasanjo from Owu in Ogun State, what did he do? He made sure that he paraded the left overs of the biafran rebellion as surrendered soldiers right before the world. Did he have to be from Lagos?

Oh, how about Premier of the Westerm Region, Aare Ona Kakanfo (The War General), Chief Obafemi Awolowo, from Ikenne in Ogun State? Do you know the stuff of legend Chief Awolowo orchestrated virtually plotting the strategies in concert with other military commanders so much so that ibos are still mad well over 40 years and possibly the next 4,000 years for the large scale defeat?? The Aare Ona Kakanfo is a title that goes back well over 700 years, to indicate for how long the Yorubas have been tactical and superior war machines. There are millions of people I possibly could never know who will defend every square cm of the Yoruba lands of their ancestors to the death until every invader is destroyed! By the same token, just as marauders were trying to enter through Ore, thousands of soldiers who are Lagosians were in the ranks of the armies who utterly smote biafra at Ore! The point is use your sense before you open your mouth to spew putrid nonsense!

Again to correct you, there is nothing of note in Enugu! I have been there myself! I lived in Iboland at a time. I am sure Ibadan are proud of those brown roofs which were already covering those houses before your grandfathers were found in iboland. This is the truth, and I am not being tribalistic but you leave me no choice than to tell you the naked truth if you can't figure it out. At the time they were building those houses, ibos lived in the naked forests, wearing no clothes or leaves tied around their waist to cover their private parts only. Up till today, them men still tie a wrapper around their waists like women. There is no question, every Yoruba in any part of South West Nigeria will more than happily be comforted that it doesn't matter whether he is 'officially' from Lagos or Ekiti, even when he is not there, his brothers as far as Ilorin or at the borders of Ondo State will defend their lands to the last man! This is something your people (ibos) have NEVER done since God created the earth! Think about it.

What has all this got to do with the low quality crowd at suprait?
Re: Shoprite Opens In Ibadan by Gbawe: 9:34am On Jun 29, 2013
thelonestranger:

It is really amusing. The fact is that people don't know that an even BIGGER Shoprite is presently being constructed on Ring Road Ibadan where the old rubbish dump used to be. Laugh your life away on Nairaland . In Ibadan Shoprite is laughing to the bank(s)

Word? Ibadan growing. Happy for the good folks of the City. As for bad belle folks, I will advise many to ignore them and carry on conversing with sensible folks. Is Shoprite a guguru and boli selling outfit that will set up shop without detailed feasibility study that has assessed and assured sales? Bad belle has destroyed some people's ability to think logically. Some can follow their hateful instinct against the SW all they want but very sad, for them, that the investors who matter don't share their negative outlook. Project such as seen below show where Ibadan is heading.

1 Like

Re: Shoprite Opens In Ibadan by ba7man(m): 10:57am On Jun 29, 2013
Ibadan has its good areas, it has its bad areas but it also has something that makes it an investors destination....A large population that has purchasing power. Keep laughing at the brown rusty roofs while the city keeps developing.

1 Like

Re: Shoprite Opens In Ibadan by Dotman01(m): 10:57am On Jun 29, 2013
There is another Shoprite massive construction going on around ringroad.

http://www.shoprite.com.ng/Pages/StoreDirectory.aspx

And to those saying rubbish about Shoprite coming to IB, u guys are insane. If the likes of Glo, Gotv etc could start from IB. . . . so whats the cry about Shoprite.
Re: Shoprite Opens In Ibadan by Dotman01(m): 11:00am On Jun 29, 2013
ba7man: Ibadan has its good areas, it has its bad areas but it also has something that makes it an investors destination....A large population that has purchasing power. Keep laughing at the brown rusty roofs while the city keeps developing.
apart from the population . . . . the hospitality of Ibadan people is second to none.
Re: Shoprite Opens In Ibadan by onyxo76(m): 11:16am On Jun 29, 2013
i wonder what this fuss is all about? shoprite opens in ibadan, so what? shoprite exists in ilorin, lagos and enugu -big deal!! opens later in kano this year as well.
i've been visiting ibadan almost every month for the past few years and am really happy with the progress being made in that city,for your information after cairo, jo'burg, ibadan is the 3rd largest city in africa so shoprite should make some good income there.
As for those mud slinging each other comparing ibadan enugu etc,the stark reality is that we are all from one village or the other in nigeria so stop claiming lagos or one city somewhere in nigeria. i am from alapako village in ogun state before my ancestors moved to abeokuta. i am proud of my origin.
Re: Shoprite Opens In Ibadan by thelonestranger: 11:27am On Jun 29, 2013
ketoprofen:

Enugu cant catch up with ibadan in poverty, i agree my brother. even in a million years. Good morning
Bros your name sounds like a drug for skin disease grin grin
Mugu plenty for Nairaland o. If Shoprite, an international company has 3 shops in AFFLUENT Lagos, have 1 shop in AFFLUENT Abuja , have 1 shop in AFFLUENT Enugu , and are opening [size=14pt]2 shops[/size] in "POVERTY RIDDEN" Ibadan , then they must be a foolish company indeed. Go figure.

1 Like

Re: Shoprite Opens In Ibadan by ba7man(m): 12:10pm On Jun 29, 2013
Dotman01: apart from the population . . . . the hospitality of Ibadan people is second to none.
Thanks for that addition. That is the most important factor. No matter the resource or skill residents of a location have, it becomes of little effect when they're not welcoming.
Re: Shoprite Opens In Ibadan by antartica(m): 12:43pm On Jun 29, 2013
Do you loud mouths realize the indelible damage big multinational supermarkets to markets and food chains? If you guys know,you won't be celebrating their emergence. They decimate local businesses and polute food supplies.
Re: Shoprite Opens In Ibadan by ketoprofen(m): 12:49pm On Jun 29, 2013
eaglechild:
What has all this got to do with the low quality crowd at suprait?

My dear, help me ask them o. the funny aspect of all these is thst some of their own started yabbing ibadan, one guy like dat cyberG vented the frustration on igbo guys immediately, and am telling him to direct his anger back to the abeokuta peeps, he refused.

is it not under-exposure to the good tnz of life that will make sb think anoda envies him for sth he just got. its like telling Onitsha peeps they are envious of shoprite, do u know how many shopping malls/departmental stores there or is it cos this particular one has the name shoprite ? Garri dudes
Re: Shoprite Opens In Ibadan by anonimi: 1:02pm On Jun 29, 2013
delpee: I remember the train ride to the chilled, seemingly snowy grotto to see father xmas in kingsway, Ibadan in the 70s. Then we had Kingsway, UTC and Leventis within walking distance from each one at dugbe. Seems shoprite is in that area near Cocoa house.
The stores then stocked virtually everything needed in a home including clothes (e.g. St michael ) and hardware.
The hot meatpie and chilled coke in kingsway was unbeatable. Apparently the forerunner of Mr Biggs!

This is why some of us point out that despite the recent improvements in the south west, we are very far from the heights we attained back in the 1960s, with only the money from cash crops like cocoa without Niger Delta oil revenues, that survived till mid-1980s.
Re: Shoprite Opens In Ibadan by CyberG: 1:09pm On Jun 29, 2013
ketoprofen:

My dear, help me ask them o. the funny aspect of all these is thst some of their own started yabbing ibadan, one guy like dat cyberG vented the frustration on igbo guys immediately, and am telling him to direct his anger back to the abeokuta peeps, he refused.

is it not under-exposure to the good tnz of life that will make sb think anoda envies him for sth he just got. its like telling Onitsha peeps they are envious of shoprite, do u know how many shopping malls/departmental stores there or is it cos this particular one has the name shoprite ? Garri dudes

There's no point even talking to people like you as counselled by a wise poster in the past few posts. No doubt you people are programmed to hate and this blinds every atom of common sense. Well, Ibadan is prepping up for more business (2nd Shoprite in construction) and I do not support or prefer foreign companies to make money off Nigerians but it is what is it now. A private business knows much better than Internet tribalists if it open 2 or 3 stores in an area while ignoring or investing much less in the local economy of another place. You can guys can knock yourself out on your permanent complaints but when the rubber meets the road, everyone knows who the historic loser is in Nigeria.
Re: Shoprite Opens In Ibadan by Dotman01(m): 1:34pm On Jun 29, 2013
thelonestranger:
Mugu plenty for Nairaland o. If Shoprite, an international company has 3 shops in AFFLUENT Lagos, have 1 shop in AFFLUENT Abuja , have 1 shop in AFFLUENT Enugu , and are opening [size=14pt]2 shops[/size] in "POVERTY RIDDEN" Ibadan , then they must be a foolish company indeed. Go figure.
no mind those idiots even, them dey think say na politics as usual, abi wetin concern multinational company with politics, no be to make gain? e.g checkout the number of branches mr biggs have in the following cities:
Lagos: 64
Abuja: 12
Ibadan: 9
Enugu: 6
PH: 4
Kaduna :3
Re: Shoprite Opens In Ibadan by Dotman01(m): 1:34pm On Jun 29, 2013
thelonestranger:
Re: Shoprite Opens In Ibadan by ajaolu(m): 1:37pm On Jun 29, 2013
Ogbeche77: Report has it that customers who visited shoprite on it first day of opening in ibadan were over 102,000, but they recorded just N35,000 sale grin

Suprite ni ilu ibadan, Aku sopping ooo... Sopping atu wa lara ooo grin grin

guy, you funny die, maybe the Ibadans spent a lot f coins there , reason for low sale
Re: Shoprite Opens In Ibadan by tayour917i(m): 1:57pm On Jun 29, 2013
Its a good development for IB, buh, why people dey rush dey go there as if dem go thief shoprite d following day........... Oga o........ So ibadan people be like dis.
Re: Shoprite Opens In Ibadan by thelonestranger: 2:30pm On Jun 29, 2013
antartica: Do you loud mouths realize the indelible damage big multinational supermarkets to markets and food chains? If you guys know,you won't be celebrating their emergence. They decimate local businesses and polute food supplies.

You mean the local businesses that sell fake and adulterated products ? Good riddance to them all. And if the rest can't sell cheaper than Shoprite even though they have lower overhead then we consumers need a break from the greed of such local businesses.

Apparently you have never entered Shoprite and therefore don't know that they do sell locally made products too. In fact I know a neighbour who is supplying them with bottled honey, locally manufactured. Do you know what "attracted traffic" is ? Any sensible shop should better set up beside Shoprite so that customers will divert to them if Shoprite is too full . Just observe how other smaller fast food rush to open shop beside KFC . Where can I send my bill for consultancy service to you?
Re: Shoprite Opens In Ibadan by aycsharp(m): 3:51pm On Jun 29, 2013
I am proud to come from Ibadan, yes Ibadan has over a million brown roofs kudos to ancient civilization from the Yorubas, when other tribes in the country were living in "channel 0" kind of houses. Show me a city in Nigeria without urban slum and it shows how naive you are, most people talking on nairaland have not even left their enclaves to see some other parts of the country, modernized places in Ibadan are more than the ancient places, I stand to be corrected any time. Having toured places like Enugu, Awka, Onitsha, Asaba and even that poor Abakaliki, comparing any of those to Ibadan is unreasonable and really stupid because Ibadan is safer, cheaper to live, more westernized, more industrialized, even now cleaner than those south eastern cities. And the big part of it is that as the south eastern cities are crawling in terms of development, Ibadan is running, Each time I visited Ibadan now, I was always happy because of the changes I saw. So stop comparing any south eastern city with my beloved Ibadan.

1 Like

Re: Shoprite Opens In Ibadan by Nobody: 3:55pm On Jun 29, 2013
CyberG:

There's no point even talking to people like you as counselled by a wise poster in the past few posts. No doubt you people are programmed to hate and this blinds every atom of common sense. Well, Ibadan is prepping up for more business (2nd Shoprite in construction) and I do not support or prefer foreign companies to make money off Nigerians but it is what is it now. A private business knows much better than Internet tribalists if it open 2 or 3 stores in an area while ignoring or investing much less in the local economy of another place. You can guys can knock yourself out on your permanent complaints but when the rubber meets the road, everyone knows who the historic loser is in Nigeria.

what is this one saying?

Oh My, what a thread.

And wat is dis one saying? Large, indigenous shopping malls full everywhere for igboland nah. The shoprite @ enugu is just one part of the 2- storey gigantic mall. The rest of d mall have scores of local enterprises (ranging from pharmaceuticals to high brow restaurants to fashion items) in d same building offering all kinds of sales and services and competiting with shoprite. Dats for enugu oo, @ onitsha, dem go see d meaning of competition.

Una stl dey here dey brag abt having a high concentration of wetin no be una own sef, almost everytn/innovation for ur land, no be una get am. What a people
Re: Shoprite Opens In Ibadan by Nobody: 4:03pm On Jun 29, 2013
aycsharp: I am proud to come from Ibadan, yes Ibadan has over a million brown roofs kudos to ancient civilization from the Yorubas, when other tribes in the country were living in "channel 0" kind of houses. Show me a city in Nigeria without urban slum and it shows how naive you are, most people talking on nairaland have not even left their enclaves to see some other parts of the country, modernized places in Ibadan are more than the ancient places, I stand to be corrected any time. Having toured places like Enugu, Awka, Onitsha, Asaba and even that poor Abakaliki, comparing any of those to Ibadan is unreasonable and really stupid because Ibadan is safer, cheaper to live, more westernized, more industrialized, even now cleaner than those south eastern cities. And the big part of it is that as the south eastern cities are crawling in terms of development, Ibadan is running, Each time I visited Ibadan now, I was always happy because of the changes I saw. So stop comparing any south eastern city with my beloved Ibadan.
thank God, u said u went to those places, and u saw correct houses competiting with each other everywhere, its even more like dat in d villages.

guy, na poverty dey keep those old buildings in ibadan. An igbo man, if his house is getting old, will renovate his house if not bouyant. If bouyant, he demolishes and rebuilds it. He cant be comfrtable at all living in eyesore buildings. Its not possible

Stop celebrating poverty abeg. Civilization my foot.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Youths Elect Representatives On Lagos SARS Panel. See How To Follow Proceedings / Army To Bury Ibrahim Attahiru On 22 May 2021 At National Military Cemetery / Nnamdi Kanu Visit Mbazulike Amechi, 1st Republic Aviation Minister (Pics, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.