Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,363 members, 7,812,038 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:57 AM

Do You Flaunt Or Hide Your Nigerian Passport When Travelling? - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Do You Flaunt Or Hide Your Nigerian Passport When Travelling? (17684 Views)

Getting A New Nigerian E-passport When Old Passport Is Lost (in London) / Renewing Nigerian Passport In The Uk / Nigerian Passport: Current Price (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Flaunt Or Hide Your Nigerian Passport When Travelling? by Nobody: 3:18pm On Jul 01, 2013
jennykadry:

Ileke this is serious matter o. An experience with customs whilst traveling on your Nigerian passport is the best teacher. Just travel to Ekiti with your Nigerian passport and tell me your experience the minute you land JFK.

I have this feeling they have stored the color of our passport in their heads, when you are walking up to them with your green passport, the way they squeeze their faces will make you wanno turn back, but fly with your foreign passport and watch them start shining their 21 teeth from 5 miles away

LMAOOO...pele. I know what you mean. I've been through the same ish. That's why this thread cracked me up grin
Re: Do You Flaunt Or Hide Your Nigerian Passport When Travelling? by daywatcher: 3:18pm On Jul 01, 2013
whether na british pali o..whether na naija pali o, no be the same plane una go use?
Re: Do You Flaunt Or Hide Your Nigerian Passport When Travelling? by Nobody: 3:19pm On Jul 01, 2013
Jarus: Indifferent.

But it appears those airport/immigration officers see Nigerian passport with special interest//attraction. Was in Amsterdam early May en route Edinburgh, when one Dutch officer, on sighting my passport, retorted: "people that carry this passport normally transit in early flights, your people have passed, how come you're just going with afternoon connection" (words to that effect), meaning he took special interest in Nigerian passport.

I wish I read your post before posting mine.....I swear they know our passport grin

jennykadry:
I have this feeling they have stored the color of our passport in their heads, when you are walking up to them with your green passport, the way they squeeze their faces will make you wanno turn back, but fly with your foreign passport and watch them start shining their 21 teeth from 5 miles away
Re: Do You Flaunt Or Hide Your Nigerian Passport When Travelling? by Nobody: 3:20pm On Jul 01, 2013
I think YOU are the only one that determines how you are treated. Blue or Green, e no matter

2 Likes

Re: Do You Flaunt Or Hide Your Nigerian Passport When Travelling? by momodub: 3:20pm On Jul 01, 2013
I cover mine with RED wallet you can buy them in 2euros shop very nice e be like red passport grin

3 Likes

Re: Do You Flaunt Or Hide Your Nigerian Passport When Travelling? by lancee(m): 3:21pm On Jul 01, 2013
I do not need to decieve myself , on my other passport the Place of Birth is Nigeria [UNLESS U WERE BORN IN U.S ] SO there is no way i can hide it .
I KUKU fLAUNT my Green pali... PROUDLY NIGERIAN
Re: Do You Flaunt Or Hide Your Nigerian Passport When Travelling? by Nobody: 3:21pm On Jul 01, 2013
momodub: I cover mine with RED wallet you can buy them in 2euros shop very nice e be like red passport grin

LOOOL grin grin
Re: Do You Flaunt Or Hide Your Nigerian Passport When Travelling? by Nobody: 3:22pm On Jul 01, 2013
momodub: I cover mine with RED wallet you can buy them in 2euros shop very nice e be like red passport grin

I bought a blue one on my last trip to Nigeria, the minute they opened the biodata page they experienced the name I was trying to hide....FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA, and the smile disappeared from the guy's face. grin

But it was a good way to hide it from fellow travellers

2 Likes

Re: Do You Flaunt Or Hide Your Nigerian Passport When Travelling? by alaladakosta(f): 3:22pm On Jul 01, 2013
N_girl: I have never been treated badly or differently because of my Nigerian passport.
Maybe it depends on the country you're travelling to and of course when you're trying so hard to hide something(passport or any other thing) you'll definitely look suspicious.

exactly the point we'all trying to make,maybe its congo brazaville u travel to or windholke, lol ,just kidding.
Re: Do You Flaunt Or Hide Your Nigerian Passport When Travelling? by Nobody: 3:24pm On Jul 01, 2013
jennykadry:

I wish I read your post before posting mine.....I swear they know our passport grin

I don't think anybody will deny they not knowing our passport by colour, from distance sef, especially in popular routes/airports that Nigerians ply.

But whether they treat badly based on that is what people will debate.

The Schipol guy did not treat me badly, he just made that remark.
Re: Do You Flaunt Or Hide Your Nigerian Passport When Travelling? by Nobody: 3:25pm On Jul 01, 2013
jennykadry:

I bought a blue one on my last trip to Nigeria, the minute they opened the biodata page they experienced the name I was trying to hide....FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA, and the smile disappeared from the guy's face. grin

hahahahah...that was funny grin cheesy
Re: Do You Flaunt Or Hide Your Nigerian Passport When Travelling? by Princek12(m): 3:25pm On Jul 01, 2013
valicious1: and this made FP? sad : sad @OP just cos you shamefully hide your Nigerian passport doesn't mean others do same. i openly display my passport whenever the need arises whether consciously or unconsciously. i've never been harrassed or intimidated cos of my Nigerian passport and i've sworn that whenever am under such circumstance in any country whatsoever i would create an uncontrollable dangerous scene.

You must be smoking Indian Hemp to assume that I shamefully hide my Ngerian passport.
Re: Do You Flaunt Or Hide Your Nigerian Passport When Travelling? by lancee(m): 3:26pm On Jul 01, 2013
lancee: I do not need to decieve myself , on my other passport the Place of Birth is Nigeria [UNLESS U WERE BORN IN U.S ] SO there is no way i can hide it .

1 Like

Re: Do You Flaunt Or Hide Your Nigerian Passport When Travelling? by Princek12(m): 3:27pm On Jul 01, 2013
jennykadry:

Na was ooo. How were you attempting to hide the Nigerian part of the biodata? By placing your finger on it?
Re: Do You Flaunt Or Hide Your Nigerian Passport When Travelling? by Nobody: 3:27pm On Jul 01, 2013
Bullshit,why should I hide my passport in d first place? am proud to be a Nigerian. Yes dey check we and d Arab people more than any other people. But if u don't hv it, u are nt going to be bord.Mine is always in my hand as soon i enter into d Terminal.Nwa afor Naija.
Re: Do You Flaunt Or Hide Your Nigerian Passport When Travelling? by flavoured(f): 3:31pm On Jul 01, 2013
We find its quicker checking in or out, as the airports have lanes for people with EU passports than people of other nationalities..
Re: Do You Flaunt Or Hide Your Nigerian Passport When Travelling? by somegirl1: 3:33pm On Jul 01, 2013
The only other people who'd recognize a Nigerian passport apart from fellow Nigerian travellers would be immigration officers, who you'd have to present to the passport to anyways.

Hiding has nothing to do with being embarrassed by state of Nigeria. The ones who flaunt foreign passports do so for the benefit of other Nigerians (show off) and the ones who hide Nigerian passports suffer from inferiority complex.

19 Likes

Re: Do You Flaunt Or Hide Your Nigerian Passport When Travelling? by olawaletaiwo(m): 3:35pm On Jul 01, 2013
well, i can say things about this issue,because i have not travel with my passport, just praying to God to give me the grace, then

1 Like

Re: Do You Flaunt Or Hide Your Nigerian Passport When Travelling? by Nobody: 3:35pm On Jul 01, 2013
Princek12:

Na was ooo. How were you attempting to hide the Nigerian part of the biodata? By placing your finger on it?

once beaten twice shy.
Re: Do You Flaunt Or Hide Your Nigerian Passport When Travelling? by deeptesting(m): 3:37pm On Jul 01, 2013
Hide my passport for what? What is my business with the smile or sh****t on the face of the immigration officers? I am a Nigerian simple and holds a green passport.I think kids have over taken NL....Like some one mentioned here it's inferiority complex that will make you hide your passport and flaunting your blue,red, gold or violet or whatever is just a show off,normal Nigerian mentality..

3 Likes

Re: Do You Flaunt Or Hide Your Nigerian Passport When Travelling? by Lucasbalo(m): 3:38pm On Jul 01, 2013
I have seen people with Nigerian passports being unnecessarily challenged in a lot of European and American airports. It's always baffling to me. I have both green and blue passports. Hence I started using my blue one to travel and only use the green when I am on my way to Nigeria. No disrespect.
Re: Do You Flaunt Or Hide Your Nigerian Passport When Travelling? by biolabee(m): 3:43pm On Jul 01, 2013
some-girl:
The only other people who'd recognize a Nigerian passport apart from fellow Nigerian travellers would be immigration officers, who you'd have to present to the passport to anyways.

Hiding has nothing to do with being embarrassed by state of Nigeria. The ones who flaunt foreign passports do so for the benefit of other Nigerians (show off) and the ones who hide Nigerian passports suffer from inferiority complex.
Re: Do You Flaunt Or Hide Your Nigerian Passport When Travelling? by alaladakosta(f): 3:44pm On Jul 01, 2013
deeptesting: Hide my passport for what? What is my business with the lsmile or sh****t on the immigration officers face? I am a Niegrian simple and holds a green passport.I think kids have over taken NL....

Please what planet are those nationales?
Re: Do You Flaunt Or Hide Your Nigerian Passport When Travelling? by Tonylyte(m): 3:44pm On Jul 01, 2013
I flaunt mine...i'mma nigerian. And i've got a strong nigerian hair. Jux lyk lil wayne will say. E no easy to b naija....

1 Like

Re: Do You Flaunt Or Hide Your Nigerian Passport When Travelling? by Nobody: 3:46pm On Jul 01, 2013
I'll flaunt both green and blue passports grin
Re: Do You Flaunt Or Hide Your Nigerian Passport When Travelling? by deeptesting(m): 3:50pm On Jul 01, 2013
alala dakosta:

Please what planet are those nationales?

You better make your comment and don't follow me.....it's simply a typing error.

1 Like

Re: Do You Flaunt Or Hide Your Nigerian Passport When Travelling? by Nobody: 3:52pm On Jul 01, 2013
lancee: I do not need to decieve myself , on my other passport the Place of Birth is Nigeria [UNLESS U WERE BORN IN U.S ] SO there is no way i can hide it .

No mind people jare. As soon as they acquire citizenship, dem go come dey form. Your place of birth in the U.S passport will ALWAYS show Nigeria unless you were born in the U.S.
Re: Do You Flaunt Or Hide Your Nigerian Passport When Travelling? by Nobody: 3:53pm On Jul 01, 2013
alala dakosta:

exactly the point we'all trying to make,maybe its congo brazaville u travel to or windholke, lol ,just kidding.
Lol cheesy.. I school in Europe and during summer holiday I travel to other countries and I've never been treated badly. I don't think many people even know what a Nigerian passport looks like.
I've never been to any country in Africa except of course Nigeria but I'm planning to change that. smiley

1 Like

Re: Do You Flaunt Or Hide Your Nigerian Passport When Travelling? by fittty(m): 3:53pm On Jul 01, 2013
Flaunt passport Na Atm card? Abi na money? undecided

1 Like

Re: Do You Flaunt Or Hide Your Nigerian Passport When Travelling? by Anvaller: 3:55pm On Jul 01, 2013
some-girl:

The comment I most agree with, this is almost exactly what I was about to write, however I want to expound.

I have never had any reason to feel like I should hide my passport and I have traveled around quite considerably. The point is no one will harrass u for holding a Nigerian passport except the immigration officers which u will have to present it to anyways. And I have never been treated badly apart from some extra checks sometimes, or extra questioning which never bothered me cos I always expected it.

Little advice... Ppl, when u are travelling with Naija P and u seem to have been treated a little bit differently, the best way to handle it is to be calm and cooperative... In most cases (at least from my experiences) they will end up apologizing for taking ur time and even try to explain the reason why they are suspicious and bla bla.

But sometimes, I see ppl immediately starting to argue with them loudly and claiming this and that right. Personally I think this is not the best way to act and it even makes u look more bad as a Nigerian, it doesn't matter if u are not guilty of anything, just behave properly. When they see how articulate, coherent and how intelligently u are answering and asking them questions, they will respect u.

However, I have heard terrible exceptional cases of how Nigerians are treated badly without any justification but I hope never to experience such.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

You Can't Use Riders Permit As Your Drivers License - FRSC / 5 Types Of Crowd You Will Find In Lagos / LASWA Releases Alternative Routes Ahead Of Third Mainlad Bridge Partial Closure

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.