Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,045 members, 7,810,862 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:12 PM

Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? - Travel (62) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? (441328 Views)

Nigerian Students In Germany, How Do You Survive? / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (59) (60) (61) (62) (63) (64) (65) ... (118) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by willy2000(m): 9:49am On Jun 05, 2019
Legendguru:

business not salary job.

if one is working full time doing menial jobs in germany can the person earn such amount in a month. i mean upto a million.i mean full time without studying. what is estimate annual income one can raise

Don't place the cart before the horse! Why do you want to migrate to Germany? work or study? If it is work, then you have to search for a job according to you skill sets and make you millions, if you want to study, then forget making millions and face your study.
And there is no way menial jobs will fetch you millions while studying. If you want to come to Germany with a student visa so you can work full time, I will advise you not to attempt it. You will be caught, so please come and study, after which you search for a job and make your billions or you apply for a job seeking visa and start making your millions/billions from day one.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by justt: 1:37pm On Jun 05, 2019
willy2000:

Don't place the cart before the horse! Why do you want to migrate to Germany? work or study? If it is work, then you have to search for a job according to you skill sets and make you millions, if you want to study, then forget making millions and face your study.
And there is no way menial jobs will fetch you millions while studying. If you want to come to Germany with a student visa so you can work full time, I will advise you not to attempt it. You will be caught, so please come and study, after which you search for a job and make your billions or you apply for a job seeking visa and start making your millions/billions from day one.

People in Germany who have been contributing to the thread are much appreciated. However, what is worth doing at all, is worth doing well.

Answers to some questions seems so ambiguous/vague. I once lost the opportunity to have my PhD in Canada because a colleague also gave me a vague answer! The Institution was offering $18,000/annum
and I asked him, as someone who was already there and should know better, if this amount will be enough to sustain me. He said it depends on me!!!

Of course I still needed to apply and compete with others but his response just put me off. Well, I later have to go to the same University but just for a part of my study and I found out this amount was well enough to sustain me. My monthly expenses was even below $700.

I don't know the problems with Nigerians. It seems we often don't wish others have the same privileges we are enjoying.

Legendguru has two options on which he's seeking "expert" opinions and he should be advised as such without any form of discouragement.

In his/her last question, he asked about menial jobs and the possibility of making some amount from this menial job. Are certificates that relevant to get menial jobs?

Thank you

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Blonde77: 2:08pm On Jun 05, 2019
Hi all, If you have gotten admission to the university of Koblenz and Landau, Koblenz campus please join this watsapp group https:///LfNQyNrBm5yAePYqUu6GKc:-). Another point to note is that almost all German here in Koblenz (like 85%) both old and young speaks English but for you to get jobs you need German, there are lots of English jobs too.

Thank you as I go back to my ghost mode

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by willy2000(m): 2:50pm On Jun 05, 2019
justt:

People in Germany who have been contributing to the thread are much appreciated. However, what is worth doing at all, is worth doing well.

Answers to some questions seems so ambiguous/vague. I once lost the opportunity to have my PhD in Canada because a colleague also gave me a vague answer! The Institution was offering $18,000/annum
and I asked him, as someone who was already there and should know better, if this amount will be enough to sustain me. He said it depends on me!!!

Of course I still needed to apply and compete with others but his response just put me off. Well, I later have to go to the same University but just for a part of my study and I found out this amount was well enough to sustain me. My monthly expenses was even below $700.

I don't know the problems with Nigerians. It seems we often don't wish others have the same privileges we are enjoying.

Legendguru has two options on which he's seeking "expert" opinions and he should be advised as such without any form of discouragement.

In his/her last question, he asked about menial jobs and the possibility of making some amount from this menial job. Are certificates that relevant to get menial jobs?

Thank you
If you took the pain to read this thread, it was thoroughly discussed, with low jabs flying around, that you can not earn above €10k in a year working as a student. And @Legendguru was asking if it is possible to earn a million naira(€2500 * 400naira) a month doing menial jobs.

As a student or a prospective Ph.D. student, you should be smart enough to do the math.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Hadampson(m): 5:55pm On Jun 05, 2019
Rubbers asked for an update from anybody who is doing his or her bsc degree in Germany, below is the reply to his request

From Galads

Whether bsc or msc once you get here, everything becomes new and strange. If you don't tell your neighbor you are here for bsc, they will never know. Like someone mentioned, work load is the only difference and I agree with him/her but I will also say depending on course your studying.

Like me, I have 5 compulsory modules and 1 elective. And minimum of 3 must be registered for exam. Lectures from Monday to Friday no free day. While msc have like 2 free days from Monday to Friday.

All the prospective students of German institution, I will advice you guys to make research on modules of courses you are applying to study and see if you can cope with it. Don't just look at the name of the course.

Example resource management can contain physics, chemistry and mathematics and normally with the "management" a lot of pple will conclude it is a social science course. A Lot of Nigerians in my school are now looking for ways to change course because they can't cope with the physics, maths.they don't even have foundation on them. One is saying I thought, I thought will not help here. Danke schon

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by odimbannamdi(m): 7:06pm On Jun 05, 2019
[quote author=Hadampson post=79050527][/quote]

This was insightful!
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by marshal8173: 9:26pm On Jun 05, 2019
Blonde77:
Hi all, If you have gotten admission to the university of Koblenz and Landau, Koblenz campus please join this watsapp group https:///LfNQyNrBm5yAePYqUu6GKc:-). Another point to note is that almost all German here in Koblenz (like 85%) both old and young speaks English but for you to get jobs you need German, there are lots of English jobs too.

I also got admitted today in koblenz. I have a lot of questions please. I couldn't join the group
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by marshal8173: 10:07pm On Jun 05, 2019
marshal8173:

I also got admitted today in koblenz. I have a lot of questions please. I couldn't join the group

The link is not opening
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by marshal8173: 10:07pm On Jun 05, 2019
Blonde77:

The link is blocked
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Blonde77: 10:42pm On Jun 05, 2019
Hi all,,, i made a mistake while copying the link,,, here is the correct link

https:///LfNQyNrBm5yAePYqUu6GKc

University of Koblenz and Landau... Koblenz campus
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Blonde77: 10:49pm On Jun 05, 2019
marshal8173:

The link is blocked
I'm very sorry about the link. Please use this

you can open via mobile
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Oene03: 3:19pm On Jun 06, 2019
Still not connecting. Drop ur number if u can pls
Blonde77:

I'm very sorry about the link. Please use this

you can open via mobile
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Hadampson(m): 4:20pm On Jun 06, 2019
Golden advice from Williamso

Studying in Germany is not easy. I will always say this. If your primary aim is to study, and secondary to make money (at least while you're still a student), then by all means come, but if the reverse is the case, then........ grin

As for what my ogas (pompido, Nevilbot, Schwartz) have said, they have their merits and demerits. I also live in Kiel, as well as Pompido, and I can confirm some of the things he said (we more or less work together ) but do not mistake it for an excessive cashflow! During school period it is difficult to make above €500 (after tax) monthly and successfully face your classes (though making around that is very feasible, especially in the summer months). During the holidays, things are very different.

If you do not believe in dignity in labour, and have a hard time taking care of pets, or cleaning and you believe you should be entitled to the same "class of job" as you did in Nigeria, EVEN AS A STUDENT, then Germany is no place for you! Do not come here

To this end, I have always not been in support of taking loans to come here, or selling property (I think a loan is slightly worse though). Not because you won't payback (there's no guarantee that you will in the short term), but because the pressure of even thinking about it all will depress you so bad it will affect other parts of your life here.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Hadampson(m): 4:34pm On Jun 06, 2019
From Eke40seven

Most schools in Germany are very good, the quality of the programmes in partcular might differ.

Chemintz, Zwikau all in Saxony....... without a command of the German language, it might be hard to hold down a job, its best you try to contact Nigerian students in the city already. Holiday jobs however are very possible. I can only vouch for Leipzig and Dresden in that state. However, cost of living is definitely veeeery low. so, there you have it. Try to identify with NSIG (Nigerian Scholars In Germany) in the zone your city falls within, you might get useful information.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Hadampson(m): 4:37pm On Jun 06, 2019
From Berliner

Passau is a good school in good state.
But the semester ticket cant take you to the better part of the state.

Dont expect much in terms of job expecially when your German language is still low.

Plenty naija guys are there but they wont send u.

Let me give u a code.

There's a reverend father in that city.approach him for few days accomodation.

I'm not in passau but my spirit is there.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Hadampson(m): 4:48pm On Jun 06, 2019
Germanyinabit shared his experience with the past students(2018 set) and i believe the information should be useful for the prospective students of German institutions

Stuttgart is a very nice and lively city but the cost of living there is quite high.

You don’t need to know people there before your acclimatize.

When I moved to Germany, I literally had no guide. I had to do everything by myself. I don’t know anyone from Africa but I had do extensive research about everything.

From my experience with family reunion union visa, I can give one or two tips:

1. When you move to Germany, quickly book an appointment with the ABH office to register you in your new city. When you’ve registered, then you will get your residence permit card after some weeks.

2. Go to Bürgerburö to register your marital status but you also need to translate your marriage certificate to German when you come here. It costs less than 50 Euro.

3. Once you get the necessary documents from ABH office, send your registration information to your landlord/landlady.

4. Go to health insurance office with all the documents you’ve received from both ABH and Bürgerbüro to get your Versichertenkarte. You should receive the card itself through your mailbox after 10 days but you can ask them for a letter Incase you want to visit the hospital before your card arrives.

5. With the documents you received from the ABH office, go to any of the Language schools around you to take assessment tests.

6. Go to job center/ Agentur für Arbeit to register with them. They will help you pay for the language class (if they access your partners income and find out it is not sufficient). If you don’t get the full payment, you can get Zuschüsse (Grant).

7. check out when admission to the language school opens and quickly apply. (You can stay for months without getting admission so the earlier you apply, the better).

8. Go to cjd office to get free career advice and they will also help you to process the Anerkennung (if you have a university degree from Nigeria, you will need this if you want a good job in line with your course of study but you might be asked to do Weiterbildung or Ausbildung) This is also needed Incase you want to do your masters or PhD.
Please make sure you come with your transcript!

9. After your A2, you should understand German, then you can apply for good jobs.

Best of luck!

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Hadampson(m): 4:51pm On Jun 06, 2019
From princetigris

I arrived Berlin this morning via Turkish airline, paid €2.80 at the airport for a bus to jaKob pkeizer,(I hope say I spell am correct), jumped plenty other trains and followed plenty tunnel till I found myself at the city's bus central station. From there I took a flixbus to Dresden. Umunnam, two things I noticed among the Germans today is that they're bi-langual(i might be wrong though) and them love to drive new sweet cars(omo come see mini-cooper on black rims, Benz be like water and finally one bad black Lamborghini huracan roadster wea speed pass me for Dresden).

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Hadampson(m): 5:01pm On Jun 06, 2019
Obiwannn Tipp

When you register at the /Bürgeramt /you
can bring a form with you to make a
request for /Begrüßungsgeld /
(welcoming money).

You can hand this form in at your chosen university later on to get 50 €. https://www.hu-berlin.de/de/ studium/bewerbung/formulare/
begruessungsgeld.
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Hadampson(m): 5:13pm On Jun 06, 2019
From dmitroika. It's an old post (2013)

If you see the way Nigerians are speaking Deutsche like say na their muttersprache. They make the things so easy. I admire them.

Here is important information for the house.....
...... once you have converted ur 3 months visa issued from Nigeria to the residence permit the foreigners office will give you, then you can select a job. I use the word select because work full here die pass the people sef but u must have basic knowledge of German A1 language to do that.

Some guys i have met here earns up to 10-15 euros per hour and depends on how many hours u can work daily without affecting your studies.

For football. i dont know yet but there are sporting facilities and football clubs in school. if u sabi play well ur star fit shine from there cos they might pick u if u go for good football competitions where u can meet people/coaches.

Transport is free here once u present ur students card during weekends. Like today i went to one African church in close by city and went on tour with my guys to different cities and no dime was paid on transport. only week ends oh. from 7pm to sunday 11.59pm

Foods cheap here but meat cheap pass. but no better food oh except rice. 6 cups of rice is 0.89 cent. so so bugger and all those oyibo food. maybe with time i will get use to it but now egusi and okror dey hungry me die although u can get it in African shops if u get money to spend.

Lectures and professor here are so nice at least i have 2 yrs university experience in Nigeria and i can tell u that here they teach u to know it unlike naija where u will ask prof question he wil tell u to go and buy hand-out. Just see facilities and equipment everywhere. Practicals everywhere.. tell me why will u forget ...

The city people here are friendly and the weather is moderate unlike North which is very cold. most people speak English in southern region here.

I wish u all successful trip to Germany the heart of Europe.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Whitemagic: 5:16pm On Jun 06, 2019
Basalt:

Thank you for this.
You know, where ignorance is amidst, it's funny to be wise
Most of these people talking here are from very rich backgrounds, obviously they won't understand what it means to hustle hard for money.
I come from a poor background, my aim in life is not only to be rich but to also liberate my entire lineage from the bondage of poverty, that was the motivation why I made my first million the same year I graduated. I am not bragging but I have a purpose and that purpose is making lots of money enough for the entire family.
To you guys fortunate to come from very rich background, ofcus your priority won't be to make Money because money is always flowing in the family, that's why I wasn't surprised when someone said he would be comfortable earning only 800 euro in a month. Minus your expected cost of living of 600 for one month from that amount, that's only 200 euros left for savings, to me that's meagre.

Some people made mention of 20hrs without realising that you can do two jobs and do overtime especially during summer holidays, highest you go pay tax when your earning exceed 450 euros.
Someone said my education will suffer if I work blah blah blah without knowing that all brain no be the same.
Some people can study for 8hrs and get C while another person will study for 3hrs and make A.
There are ways to bend some laws without actually breaking it, but ofcus those born with silver spoons in their mouth won't understand
Love this guy

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Hadampson(m): 5:21pm On Jun 06, 2019
From pauluche

Life in Weimar isn't as vibrant as in Jena or Erfurt
BUT
There's Duetsche Post and DPD there.... you go work as you like till you tire grin

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Aque(m): 5:23pm On Jun 06, 2019
Gurus in the house. Please is there a high demand for ‘Wordpress’ web developers in Germany? As opposed to developers that code from scratch?
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Hadampson(m): 5:23pm On Jun 06, 2019
From victz

Visit the nearest Aldi Süd you will get nice tablet soaps there at the rate of 25cents per soap. The soaps are quality soaps. It's cheap because oyibo no dey use tablet soap na only bath foam and shampoo them dey use baff. Some of them self fit even stay 2 weeks without taking their bath yet if them come out their body go dey shine. Make black man no baff come out him go be like wetin them use do sacrifice.

Visit African shops for hair creams.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Whitemagic: 5:30pm On Jun 06, 2019
Hadampson:

You could have ignored the comment boss

I realized e-fight is just a waste of time and time is money.

You need patience to live in DE cos you might face some discrimination.
Hadampson.. wish I could give u a ham. You've been really helpful. Pls can you give us more info on the building construction and architecture industry In Deutsche land? Wishing to pursue an M.tech in Architecture
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Hadampson(m): 5:32pm On Jun 06, 2019
From HonourableSeyi

Without the language, you can still hustle. However, the longtime goal for those that want to stay back should also be taken into consideration. Having the knowledge of the language is a big plus. Though some people are not in the environment where they can learn the language, thus making it cumbersome. Don't worry if you are in this category, you will get along. But for those that have the opportunity; please, try and learn it. The truth of the matter is; in Germany, there are jobs and there are jobs. People in Germany will understand better. Shalom
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Hadampson(m): 5:38pm On Jun 06, 2019
For those going to Potsdam, click here to know about living in Potsdam
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Whitemagic: 5:38pm On Jun 06, 2019
[quote author=Hadampson post=77974135][/quote]
Boss could you help on the nature of the digital marketing industry?
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Hadampson(m): 5:45pm On Jun 06, 2019
Whitemagic:

Boss could you help on the nature of the digital marketing industry?

Bossman, pompido, willy2000 and dolpaz will give you an answer to that... Just wait smiley
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Hadampson(m): 5:48pm On Jun 06, 2019
Whitemagic:

Hadampson.. wish I could give u a ham. You've been really helpful. Pls can you give us more info on the building construction and architecture industry In Deutsche land? Wishing to pursue an M.tech in Architecture

Boss, i'm not in Germany presently but i think it's a good course (STEM) to study in Germany

If i come across any information about architecture and building construction industry in Germany, i would share it here and mention you smiley
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Hadampson(m): 5:58pm On Jun 06, 2019
From cindino

I never said you did get a Job without speakin German although it happens..i guess you missed the line (ceteris paribus)
...It will be unwise for me to tell pple nt to learn the language. What I meant by German language barrier is that after 2yrs of studying you may nt be fluent as a native speaker because you may barely ve time to attend an intensive Lang course except the once a week organized by the uni and with that nt much progress is usually made.you may end up at B1 or B2 which is fair enough.

My experience here is that most companies employin graduates are aware abt the difficulties intl students do ve in havin a grip of the language and what they wanna see is a commitment to learning the language and in some cases they do ask their workers to learn the language after gettin the job. For example...the head of our research group is nt very fluent in German despite doing his phd in switzerland but when he was offered the position of a full time prof.the position had a clause stating that in the next 2yrs he should ve learnt the language to an extent that allows him to deliver lectures in German without issues.....now he teaches in german missed with english...and in some courses pure english.

Bro It is doable ...I met a guy when I arrived here...he studied automation and Robtics...he took him a yr to get a job when he got the Job it was a descent postion mind with little german maybe that was why it took so long ... there is a Nigerian CS graduate that got 2 offers immediately after he graduated...baba it may be difficult but it is doable..there re challenges of course...there is no where in the world where it is easy...but Germany rewards hardwork which is something young pple need.

I ve met a couple of Nigerian students who ve said they wont get a job even before they graduate.... even when u try to encourage them they dont wanna ve any of it..why they hold such views...I dont know...mother nature wont gv u something u dont want and work for...

Pple ve different paths......pple know me personally on this board I wont start self edification it is against my core values...but if u really wanna know u I will do it...I m a chemistry student and will submit my thesis in august...I ve an offer already to do my phd with a descent wage(Research assitant position).I m doing a phd because 80% of German chemist ve phd and I didnt travel 5k miles to be a mediocre chemist.

I m grateful to this country for havin provided for me free and quality education....something I did pay thru my nose in Uk,Us or canada...and to add to it the country also deemed it fit to support me in form of a stipend...

My friends in Nigeria who re doing tneir master thesis re forced to buy reagents(chemicals) for their own research but here in Germany pple get paid to do research... we re all right..its just a matter of perspective.

I will also encourage young pple who re passionate abt studies to key into this even if it means makin realistic sacrifices...in the short run it may be diffucult..d shitty obs and all that but in the long run it is worth it.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Hadampson(m): 6:05pm On Jun 06, 2019
From Eke40seven

Duisburg -Essen is good for me. Wonderful mobility because they have the best semester ticket in the whole country, a good school and larger area to assess.

Freiburg would have been nice, but it's veeeeerreyyy expensive for students (cost of housing) and as always being in Baden W, the semester ticket is comparatively shitty.

Trier, a remote place on the border, nice school, bad semester ticket and not so long residence extension for international students.

3 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (59) (60) (61) (62) (63) (64) (65) ... (118) (Reply)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 / Travelling To Canada / All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.