Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,609 members, 7,816,509 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:19 PM

Which Is More Important, The Marriage Proposal Or The Marriage Proper? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Which Is More Important, The Marriage Proposal Or The Marriage Proper? (3703 Views)

Guys, Will You Still Continue The Marriage After You Discover She Did This? / Pictures &Video:See The Marriage Proposal That Got A Lady Rolling On The Floor / My Fiancee Forget Things Easily, Should I Go On With The Marriage? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which Is More Important, The Marriage Proposal Or The Marriage Proper? by TheChronicled: 10:35pm On Jul 14, 2013
Every woman wants to have a dream marriage proposal and wedding. This dream proposal doesn't necessarily mean it'll be grand but let it be as the woman envisioned it. They talk about this often. How often do you ever hear women talk about having a dream marriage? Just be honest with your answer whether you are a man or woman. That brings me to the question; “Which is more important, the marriage proposal or the marriage proper?” The proposal to me is the destination of few weeks, months or years dating/courtship journey while marriage is a lifelong journey. But with the invention of the device called divorce, marriage can last a few hours.

“Which is more important, the marriage proposal or the marriage proper?”
I have often wondered which is more important. The question can be likened to a similar question like “which is more important the journey or the destination?” This is a million dollar question which we will try to answer. Is there even an objective way to answer this question? Opinions differ for sure. A few women I discussed this with all said marriage proposal is important and needs to be a very romantic and memorable. I quite agree with them. BUT none of them was able to categorically say, yes marriage proposal is more important than marriage itself and vice versa. Is it me or is it just the way God wired women?

I can categorically tell you anytime any day that marriage is more important than marriage proposal. Maybe that’s how me or men are wired. Marriage is a long term journey and the proposal is a few minutes event. I don't know about you, as for me;

"I Rather Have A Shitty Marriage Proposal And Have A Blissful Marriage Than Have A Blissful Marriage Proposal And Shitty Marriage" - Scopium NwabuKing

Some People Take The Proposal More Seriously Than The Wedding Vows
It is so wrong to do so. With divorce rate soon to overtake rate of marriage, one wonders what really pushed the couples to get married. That entire perfect dream proposal lasted only a few years of wedding anniversaries, are you kidding me?

What is the essence of a dream marriage proposal if the marriage is only going to last a few weeks? Then the woman may as well just pick out a ring while the man watches a football match. Yeah I know you'll say nobody goes into a marriage hoping for it to fall apart few years down the line. It falls apart because priorities are misplaced. The less important event is treated as the most important. And the most important journey is relegated to the background.

I'm not saying that marriage proposals aren’t essential. Like I said before They are important. They can serve as a great jumping off point for the sometimes grueling process of planning a wedding. Honestly, creative proposals are the best. The kind when the guy proposes in a way that is romantically meaningful and unique to the couple.

Does It Really Matter How A Man Proposes To A Woman?
Are there women who would turn down marriage or be genuinely upset if he didn’t propose the “right” way? If so what is the "right" way? Are there women who would say yes to a boyfriend she didn’t necessarily want to marry simply because he asked in a stunning fashion? I wonder what single women including you reading this have in mind as their “dream proposal” and what happens if the reality is nothing like they dreamt?

If you have dated this person for some time and you still don’t know each other very well as to make a bad proposal, what else do you know well about your future spouse? What else can your future spouse do well?

According to a marriage proposal study;
One in four brides hated the way their future husband proposed. Twenty-six per cent of brides-to-be said that they wished the moment had been more romantic, original or personal. Others would have preferred it to be more private or complained that it was too over-the-top special, and a third said that the biggest faux pas was proposing without a ring.
I totally agree with the women on proposing without a ring, how dumb is that? How can you not propose with the engagement ring?

Most Nigerian single women want their single Nigerian men to shower western version of love on them especially when it comes to marriage proposal but they still retain core African attitude towards some of western romantic gestures. For instance an average Nigerian woman will never value being bought flowers fresh or plastic. Their spoken or unspoken sentiment is; ''na flower I go chop?'' meaning 'Is it flower that I will eat?' Or something like; ''Do I look like a goat wey dey eat grass to you?''

A simple, romantic but not over-the-top proposal is necessary, please always remember it is not the end itself. It's a means to achieving an end. There are a few tips to bear in mind for the great marriage proposal.

I have seen a lot proposal failures and I think to myself does it really worth it? Dude please save yourself the misery and just keep it simply simple

It is very possible to have both a shitty marriage proposal and a shitty marriage or have both a blissful marriage proposal and a blissful marriage. No problem if you end with the latter. If you can have best of both worlds that is awesome. That's my desire for everyone. But if you must have one at cost of the other, please it has to be the long term journey which is The Marriage and not the short term destination which is The Marriage Proposal. It is important you don't let your marriage last as long as your grand spectacular dream marriage proposal.

For more check out http://thechronicled..com/2013/07/which-is-more-important-marriage.html
Re: Which Is More Important, The Marriage Proposal Or The Marriage Proper? by Sanboy25: 10:41pm On Jul 14, 2013
Didn't read all of it but of course the marriage itself is more important than the proposal... undecided
Re: Which Is More Important, The Marriage Proposal Or The Marriage Proper? by Nobody: 5:02am On Jul 15, 2013
Sanboy25: Didn't read all of it but of course the marriage itself is more important than the proposal... undecided

Exactly
Re: Which Is More Important, The Marriage Proposal Or The Marriage Proper? by Godson201333(m): 5:52am On Jul 15, 2013
cant read everything,Too late for me.
Re: Which Is More Important, The Marriage Proposal Or The Marriage Proper? by kreamidiva(f): 6:45am On Jul 15, 2013
Give me a long and blissful marriage anyday...
Re: Which Is More Important, The Marriage Proposal Or The Marriage Proper? by Nobody: 8:37am On Jul 15, 2013
Both are very important

If you couldn't give a nice, romantic surprise for your proposal, how will you surprise your wife with gifts, dates, etc when you're married?

I say make both count
Re: Which Is More Important, The Marriage Proposal Or The Marriage Proper? by Konnektions146(m): 10:12am On Jul 15, 2013
joeydozzy: Both are very important

If you couldn't give a nice, romantic surprise for your proposal, how will you surprise your wife with gifts, dates, etc when you're married?

I say make both count
Hmmmmm, there is no correlation between.how proposal is and.how blissful de marriage turns out.to.be,
Right now i do stuff for my lady, so de issue of gifts is not a factor .
i for one dont believe in proposals,
the last time i checked, proposal.doesnt even.mean yu will get married eventually.....yes u wish(if the intention is clean) but along de line a lot could happen.
I prefer action not voice
Re: Which Is More Important, The Marriage Proposal Or The Marriage Proper? by Nobody: 10:56am On Jul 15, 2013
Konnektions146:
Hmmmmm, there is no correlation between.how proposal is and.how blissful de marriage turns out.to.be,
Right now i do stuff for my lady, so de issue of gifts is not a factor .
i for one dont believe in proposals,
the last time i checked, proposal.doesnt even.mean yu will get married eventually.....yes u wish(if the intention is clean) but along de line a lot could happen.
I prefer action not voice

so you'll give your best in a marriage and won't even give something for her answer to your marriage?

and who says without proposal, marriage will still be blissful? undecided

from what I've known, girls cherish the little things adorned on them. I personally will
Re: Which Is More Important, The Marriage Proposal Or The Marriage Proper? by Exponental(m): 11:29am On Jul 15, 2013
Maybe I shld open a thread in d cartalk section on "which is more important, the car key or the car"?
Re: Which Is More Important, The Marriage Proposal Or The Marriage Proper? by Nobody: 11:45am On Jul 15, 2013
Exponental: Maybe I shld open a thread in d cartalk section on "which is more important, the car key or the car"?

actually both are
if you don't appreciate the key, you won't appreciate the carwink wink

if you don't have a key, you hijacked the car wink wink
Re: Which Is More Important, The Marriage Proposal Or The Marriage Proper? by Konnektions146(m): 4:53pm On Jul 15, 2013
Exponental: Maybe I shld open a thread in d cartalk section on "which is more important, the car key or the car"?
please ask him.

@joeydozzy,
everyone knows what dey want....u can call me old school but there is something about marriage proposals...i may not place it wel but believe it or not when u officially propose to a lady is what i call "moment of truth";
-thats when the most temptations comes,
-thats when all the ex's shows up;
-thats when cheating and all rubbish crosses yur mind;
-thats when you start seeing faults u never saw in a lady u ve been datin for months/years and those threaten the very existence of that relationship that only divine intervention and personal dedication and commitment can make it work.

I know what i want and thats marriage, every other thing prior to is an added advantage IF it has to even be.

we all know ladies like all these but u can still be lovely even if u ddnt propose.

justMyThought
Re: Which Is More Important, The Marriage Proposal Or The Marriage Proper? by Nobody: 6:41pm On Jul 15, 2013
^^^^ all these just because of "Will you marry me" shocked

I'm not tryna say proposals are more important than marriage. Yeah, technicality puts marriage ahead but y'all are yammering like proposals ain't important

If it's like that, then I'll propose over whatsapp, facebook, Ims, Yahoo messenger, emails,webchat or even 2go lol

just saying
Re: Which Is More Important, The Marriage Proposal Or The Marriage Proper? by Nobody: 9:52pm On Jul 15, 2013
joeydozzy: Both are very important

I say make both count

You have a point... smiley
Re: Which Is More Important, The Marriage Proposal Or The Marriage Proper? by Nobody: 9:53pm On Jul 15, 2013
Personally, a marriage proposal doesn't have to be anything elaborate, but it's always a plus if a little bit of creativity and thoughtfulness goes into it. One guy might be clueless when it comes to being romantic, another would surprise you, so it really depends on the person. At the end of the day, staying true to the marriage vows is much more important than the proposal.

1 Like

Re: Which Is More Important, The Marriage Proposal Or The Marriage Proper? by TheChronicled: 11:06am On Jul 16, 2013
@ Exponetial
Please go ahead and create the thread between car key and a car. First of, that is such an inappropriate comparison. Provided the car key and car are in good working condition, they dont have say in the matter.

Also create a thread telling us how often you take permission from your car key before driving your car. Telling us if the car key were as important as the car why is that people can comfortably bypass the car key and drive a car without any need for the car key.

Feel free to lie to us that if you are given the option to choose between a car key to no car and a car with no car key that you will pick the car key with no car.

All I'm saying is proposal is important BUT not as important as the actual marriage. Period.

If I have a choice to choose between a mere car key and a car, I will choose the CAR without giving it a thought. One will be a legendary hypocrite not to do same.

(1) (Reply)

Cleavage / Genotype Is Killing Me Oh / Why Do Beardless Boiz Rub Their Cheeks When They See A Bearded Boy Pass By?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.