Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,543 members, 7,850,862 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 10:10 AM

I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. - Travel (32) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. (518233 Views)

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) ... (66) (Go Down)

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by Melson1: 10:29pm On Sep 16, 2013
Sir,thanks for your good working by helping people in these educative and nice forum,pls i have a question,my elder brother had a wife, but the wife is late and she died early this year,now he want to get married to a lady whom is a u.s citizen,now that his former wife is late,if he get married to this u.s citizen lady,when the lady petitions for him as a spouse,during his spouse visa interview what certificate for termination of former marriage will he need to provide,or will he provide the death certificate of his former wife for a prove that the former wife died before he got married to the u.s citizen lady.,Sir,Pls your kind advice is needed,thanks
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by dugbatgd: 11:31pm On Sep 16, 2013
Hello CO, I posted earlier about my K1 denial and thanks for your quick response. I have one more question--I want to send an explanation to USCIS regarding our interview at the Embassy because of the chance that there might be a flag on my case. Is it a good idea to include it in the CR1 application or should I send it separately? (My fiancé said I was born in West Africa instead of the right answer and he was asked twice).
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by guyANDROID1: 12:35am On Sep 17, 2013
So many question to ask here

1.I have a friend in US(a citizen) though we met some year back on facebook and he want me to come to US to stay..He's desperate I come to the state or any other state cuz he really like the way I'm been honest all this while. He even do most of my online transaction for me and I've been using his address and phone number to transact business because of the issue of trust. Now I told him the problem is the issue of visa here in Nigeria, that it is very hard to get visa here whether visiting or blah! blah!! blah!!!

He said he will try and see whether he can secure a job for me here be it sport or white collar jobs or any that would enable to come and stay...I told him if he can try.

Now the question is; can this be possible and Please which Visa is suitable for me or him to apply for me though I also have a relative friend over there but we don't always talk and it being 4 yrs now since we talk

And more also I have a good tie to my home country here and I've got a lot of connections even from Politicians and reputable men in this country that have travelled wide and far

Now can the above conditions guarantee me any visa I wish to apply for even if it is student visa. Please tell me my chance of getting visa in percentage having posses all this conditions. LOL

2. Second question is; I applied for 2014 DV visa last year 2012. I checked my status and I wasn't selected yet. Even today still not selected

The problem now is,I wanted to apply for the 2015 DV this year I.e applying this year 2013 that will enable me to get 2015 visa if selected.

Will that not be a problem for me if later I'm selected before 30 september of next year OR if I apply now are they going to consider it as double entry or two entry within two years. In short will it disqualify me from being selected if I apply this year again since I apply last year and I cannot wait till next year 30 of september cuz this year application is closing very soon.

Your detailed explanation will be highly praised and welcome

One bottle of e-champagne for you *winks*

Thanks officer
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by babyspice: 3:13am On Sep 17, 2013
Had my suspicions but couldn't quite put my finger on it but was quite sure you were a lady! Now I'm 99% sure you are!!! wink grin hehehehe

VisaOfficer:

You are so sweet! I appreciate you too!

We are all looking forward to processing many, many family-based and employment-based petitions more quickly than ever before, with the shortest wait times humanly possible, as a result of this interesting news.

Anyway, we won't feel the change here in the office until Oct. 1, 2014. I plan on staying in Nigeria for a long time -- certainly long enough to experience the change...
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 7:49am On Sep 17, 2013
MrsBee: Dear @Visa Officer my husband and I were previously refused UK visas for our 10 vacation recently, we have stable jobs here in Nigeria and do not plan to run away to anywhere we just wanted to make up for the honeymoon that we missed after our wedding in march this year due to the fact that we had to resume work almost immediately after. Please advise if would affect our application for a US visa negatively.

Does the UK stamp your passport anywhere when they refuse a visa? (Serious question; I know some countries do.) If not, frankly, there's no way we would know you were refused. We only ask about previous U.S. visa applications. If you can convince the officer that you intend to abide by the terms of the U.S. visa, the UK application won't have any effect on your chances. Good luck!
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 7:49am On Sep 17, 2013
FunW: Dear visa officer, is it okay for a wife to sponsor her husband for the 2years visiting visa?

There are no sponsors for non-immigrant B1/B2 (visiting) visas. Everyone applies on his or her own. Good luck!
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 7:52am On Sep 17, 2013
akintunde95: @visa officeer what is chargeability

Chargeability, in the DV Lottery, means that every applicant is charged to a certain country, and applicants are only eligible if the country they're chargeable to is eligible. People born in Nigeria are generally chargeable to Nigeria, and Nigeria will not be eligible in 2015. But people can also charge themselves to their spouses' country of origin, so Nigerians who are married to people from Ghana (for example) can charge themselves to Ghana and play the 2015 lottery. Does that make sense?
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 7:53am On Sep 17, 2013
Melson1: Sir,thanks for your good working by helping people in these educative and nice forum,pls i have a question,my elder brother had a wife, but the wife is late and she died early this year,now he want to get married to a lady whom is a u.s citizen,now that his former wife is late,if he get married to this u.s citizen lady,when the lady petitions for him as a spouse,during his spouse visa interview what certificate for termination of former marriage will he need to provide,or will he provide the death certificate of his former wife for a prove that the former wife died before he got married to the u.s citizen lady.,Sir,Pls your kind advice is needed,thanks

Greetings! You're right, your brother should present the death certificate of his former wife to show that he is legally free to marry.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 7:55am On Sep 17, 2013
dugbatgd: Hello CO, I posted earlier about my K1 denial and thanks for your quick response. I have one more question--I want to send an explanation to USCIS regarding our interview at the Embassy because of the chance that there might be a flag on my case. Is it a good idea to include it in the CR1 application or should I send it separately? (My fiancé said I was born in West Africa instead of the right answer and he was asked twice).

Greetings! I'd wait until the CR1 interview and explain to the officer then. USCIS doesn't adjudicate these cases; they just make sure that the cases are documentarily complete before forwarding them to us. Best of luck!

1 Like

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 8:04am On Sep 17, 2013
guy ANDROID: So many question to ask here

1.I have a friend in US(a citizen) though we met some year back on facebook and he want me to come to US to stay..He's desperate I come to the state or any other state cuz he really like the way I'm been honest all this while. He even do most of my online transaction for me and I've been using his address and phone number to transact business because of the issue of trust. Now I told him the problem is the issue of visa here in Nigeria, that it is very hard to get visa here whether visiting or blah! blah!! blah!!!

He said he will try and see whether he can secure a job for me here be it sport or white collar jobs or any that would enable to come and stay...I told him if he can try.

Now the question is; can this be possible and Please which Visa is suitable for me or him to apply for me though I also have a relative friend over there but we don't always talk and it being 4 yrs now since we talk

And more also I have a good tie to my home country here and I've got a lot of connections even from Politicians and reputable men in this country that have travelled wide and far

Now can the above conditions guarantee me any visa I wish to apply for even if it is student visa. Please tell me my chance of getting visa in percentage having posses all this conditions. LOL

2. Second question is; I applied for 2014 DV visa last year 2012. I checked my status and I wasn't selected yet. Even today still not selected

The problem now is,I wanted to apply for the 2015 DV this year I.e applying this year 2013 that will enable me to get 2015 visa if selected.

Will that not be a problem for me if later I'm selected before 30 september of next year OR if I apply now are they going to consider it as double entry or two entry within two years. In short will it disqualify me from being selected if I apply this year again since I apply last year and I cannot wait till next year 30 of september cuz this year application is closing very soon.

Your detailed explanation will be highly praised and welcome

One bottle of e-champagne for you *winks*

Thanks officer

If you want to work in the U.S. you'll need a visa that permits you to do so. Some are for immigrants and some are for non-immigrants. Here are links that provide information about work visas:

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/types/types_1323.html
http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1271.html

I really can't estimate your chances of receiving a visa. Frankly, from what you've written, I'm not sure you will qualify. Maybe I'm reading it wrong but it sounds like you are exploring any avenue to get to the U.S. and stay... which is not what non-immigrant visas and student visas are for.

As for the Diversity Visa, it's okay to enter year after year, that's no problem. You just can't enter as principal applicant more than once in one year. If you're Nigerian, however, Nigeria will not be eligible for the 2015 DV lottery...
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 8:05am On Sep 17, 2013
babyspice: Had my suspicions but couldn't quite put my finger on it but was quite sure you were a lady! Now I'm 99% sure you are!!! wink grin hehehehe

I can neither confirm nor deny etc. etc. etc. etc. cool

3 Likes

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 8:31am On Sep 17, 2013
Muycom: Thank you for your reply visa officer; final interview today and the visa was denied due to human smulgging which was totally not through but to me God's time is the best. Please all my original document has not been giving to me, how do i collect them back? What pain me most was that Nigeria is eligible for dv 15,i will just apply as married so they will know that my wife is not smugling me;despite of all documents as evidences bearing my surname on my wife's document,they still believe we are not husband and wife,all is well. My second question is,did you know any other country doing dv?cause am tired of Nigeria,thanks.

Greetings! I've read through the notes of all the cases refused yesterday and I can see why the officers doubted the validity of the marriages in question. We don't return original documents when we believe them not to be genuine. I can't be more specific in this public forum; please feel free to contact us at LagosIV@state.gov if you have specific questions about your case.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by MrsBee: 8:47am On Sep 17, 2013
VisaOfficer:

Does the UK stamp your passport anywhere when they refuse a visa? (Serious question; I know some countries do.) If not, frankly, there's no way we would know you were refused. We only ask about previous U.S. visa applications. If you can convince the officer that you intend to abide by the terms of the U.S. visa, the UK application won't have any effect on your chances. Good luck!
Yes they did stamp the last page of our passports, eg uk lagos/ukvs sheffield with a line across, date and signature. so we are being sceptical that this may affect our US visa application
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 8:57am On Sep 17, 2013
MrsBee: Yes they did stamp the last page of our passports, eg uk lagos/ukvs sheffield with a line across, date and signature. so we are being sceptical that this may affect our US visa application

In that case, yes, it may have a negative effect. It will not be the ONLY factor, however. If you can convince the interviewing officer of your strong ties to Nigeria, you may still be successful. Good luck!
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by Muycom(m): 9:02am On Sep 17, 2013
Thank you visa officer, my question is how do they know my documents are fake,i thank God they are with the documents they should go to any length they can to do the confirmation and they will know they have cheated me. What i know is that they can't cease my document since i have been denied of the visa,then i should be able to work in my Father's land with my document,it's not possible i should be denied both.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by atinaewa: 9:06am On Sep 17, 2013
HOUSE PLS HELP MY friend ,Her CASE
NUMBER IS 2014AF00018*** PLS
WHEN WILL she GOs FOR INTERVIEW, She
JUST SENT HER FORMS TO KCC ON MAY,
ALSO SHE WANTS TO ASK MAYBE SHE
SHOULD CALL KCC OR MAIL THEM
because SHE DIDNT WRITE HER CASE
NUMBER ON ALL THE FORMS SHE SENT
TO THEM,BUT SHE SENT HER BAR CODE
SHEET ALONG.PLS I NEED QUICK
RESPONSE.THANKS
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by Atigba: 9:10am On Sep 17, 2013
Pls op I have a question to ask can a person that is banned permanently from entrying U.S be unbanned...
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by Muycom(m): 9:17am On Sep 17, 2013
Sorry for the writings visa officer,My prayer is for them to just take steps of confirmation and they will know that my document bearing my husband's name is not fake and that am really married to him,i dont know how they arrived on their conclusion.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by MrsBee: 9:19am On Sep 17, 2013
VisaOfficer:

In that case, yes, it may have a negative effect. It will not be the ONLY factor, however. If you can convince the interviewing officer of your strong ties to Nigeria, you may still be successful. Good luck!
Thanks very much @Visa Officer, my sister has just Dubai visa on her passport, can this help her US visa application as someone who has travelled to other countries similar to the US? will having just a Dubai visa on her passport classify it as being a "virgin" passport?
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by atinaewa: 9:25am On Sep 17, 2013
Visa Officer PLS HELP my friend , SHE DIDNT WRITE HER CASE
TO KCC ,BUT SHE SENT HER BAR CODE
SHEET ALONG. Her case no is 201400018***. PLS I NEED QUICK
RESPONSE for her. THANKS
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 9:37am On Sep 17, 2013
Muycom: Thank you visa officer, my question is how do they know my documents are fake,i thank God they are with the documents they should go to any length they can to do the confirmation and they will know they have cheated me. What i know is that they can't cease my document since i have been denied of the visa,then i should be able to work in my Father's land with my document,it's not possible i should be denied both.

Good morning -- The burden of proof is always on the applicant to convince the officer that the case is bona fide. It is not the officer's responsibility to verify every document that is submitted, especially two weeks before the end of the Diversity Visa season. If the husband and wife give divergent answers during a split interview, the officer may remain unconvinced that a relationship is bona fide. We can only issue visas if we are convinced.

That said -- Did we retain all your documents, or just the marriage certificate? If we have your educational documents, please e-mail us at LagosIV@state.gov and explain the situation.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 9:42am On Sep 17, 2013
atinaewa:
HOUSE PLS HELP MY friend ,Her CASE
NUMBER IS 2014AF00018*** PLS
WHEN WILL she GOs FOR INTERVIEW, She
JUST SENT HER FORMS TO KCC ON MAY,
ALSO SHE WANTS TO ASK MAYBE SHE
SHOULD CALL KCC OR MAIL THEM
because SHE DIDNT WRITE HER CASE
TO THEM,BUT SHE SENT HER BAR CODE
SHEET ALONG.PLS I NEED QUICK
RESPONSE.THANKS

Your friend can check the status of her entry at https://www.dvlottery.state.gov/. I don't know when her interview will be scheduled, but it is likely to be very late in the 2014 season if her number is 18***. Yes, she should contact KCC and explain her error.

Contacting KCC: If you need to contact the KCC, always refer to your name and case number exactly as they appear on your original Selectee Letter. Your case number should be clearly written in the upper right hand corner of all documents and correspondence sent to the KCC. The KCC telephone number is 606-526-7500 (7:30am until 4:00pm EST), or send an E-mail inquiry to KCCDV@state.gov.

Please see http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/types/types_1322.html for complete information about the 2014 DV program.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 9:45am On Sep 17, 2013
Atigba: Pls op I have a question to ask can a person that is banned permanently from entrying U.S be unbanned...

It depends why they were banned. There are some ineligibilities that cannot be overcome, such as having made a false claim to U.S. citizenship or certain criminal convictions. In other cases, it may be possible to apply for a waiver. If you go to http://www.uscis.gov and search for waiver you will find more specific information.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 9:49am On Sep 17, 2013
MrsBee: Thanks very much @Visa Officer, my sister has just Dubai visa on her passport, can this help her US visa application as someone who has travelled to other countries similar to the US? will having just a Dubai visa on her passport classify it as being a "virgin" passport?

A history of prior travel is helpful but not critical. It would be bad if she had a history of bad travel, but prior travel by itself is positive-but-not-definitive. Your sister will need to show that she has ties to her home country and that she intends to abide by the terms of the visa. Having gone to Dubai helps, assuming she didn't overstay or break the law while there; but it won't help a lot.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by penilenig: 10:47am On Sep 17, 2013
Hi Visaofficer,i forgot to include the bar code sheet in the forms i sent to kcc since first week of August.Please,can i scan and mail to them through their e-mail address or should i call them and explain because i read it somewhere that the forms may not be processed if the barcode sheet is not included.Please advice accordingly.thank you.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by Atigba: 10:57am On Sep 17, 2013
VisaOfficer:

It depends why they were banned. There are some ineligibilities that cannot be overcome, such as having made a false claim to U.S. citizenship or certain criminal convictions. In other cases, it may be possible to apply for a waiver. If you go to http://www.uscis.gov and search for waiver you will find more specific information.
Thanks for your response..the offence is the actual amount in a bank statement was altered ..they went and confirm it ...the person was applying for student visa F1...he passed the interview and they told him they will conduct administrating processing ...they later call and verify the statement of account..
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 11:12am On Sep 17, 2013
penilenig: Hi Visaofficer,i forgot to include the bar code sheet in the forms i sent to kcc since first week of August.Please,can i scan and mail to them through their e-mail address or should i call them and explain because i read it somewhere that the forms may not be processed if the barcode sheet is not included.Please advice accordingly.thank you.

Yes, please contact KCC and ask them what you should do.

Contacting KCC: If you need to contact the KCC, always refer to your name and case number exactly as they appear on your original Selectee Letter. Your case number should be clearly written in the upper right hand corner of all documents and correspondence sent to the KCC. The KCC telephone number is 606-526-7500 (7:30am until 4:00pm EST), or send an E-mail inquiry to KCCDV@state.gov.

Please see http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/types/types_1322.html for complete information about the 2014 DV program.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 11:17am On Sep 17, 2013
Atigba: Thanks for your response..the offence is the actual amount in a bank statement was altered ..they went and confirm it ...the person was applying for student visa F1...he passed the interview and they told him they will conduct administrating processing ...they later call and verify the statement of account..

It's going to be hard for the person to ever get a non-immigrant visa from us. That's a very serious loss of credibility. Even if he gets a waiver, why would an officer ever believe he is telling the truth during an interview again?

If there is someone in the United States who plans to file an immigrant visa petition on his behalf, in that case a waiver would be more meaningful. He could still immigrate as, for instance, the son of a U.S. citizen or LPR even with the altered bank statement on his record; we wouldn't keep him out forever just for that. But as far as non-immigrant visas are concerned, the young man has likely damaged his chances quite severely.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by Atigba: 11:29am On Sep 17, 2013
VisaOfficer:

It's going to be hard for the person to ever get a non-immigrant visa from us. That's a very serious loss of credibility. Even if he gets a waiver, why would an officer ever believe he is telling the truth during an interview again?

If there is someone in the United States who plans to file an immigrant visa petition on his behalf, in that case a waiver would be more meaningful. He could still immigrate as, for instance, the son of a U.S. citizen or LPR even with the altered bank statement on his record; we wouldn't keep him out forever just for that. But as far as non-immigrant visas are concerned, the young man has likely damaged his chances quite severely.
Ok thanks
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by onpointbaby: 12:11pm On Sep 17, 2013
I am a lucky dv winner and I want to make an enquiry. Before going for my interview in November. On my international passport and birth certificate after my surname my second name comes before my first name but in all my academic certificates my first name comes before my second hope this won't pose a problem for me on the interview day. On my international passport and birth certificate my names read. Odejobi iretunde adura, while my names on my academic certificates reads Odejobi adura iretunde. Thanks.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by atinaewa: 1:20pm On Sep 17, 2013
thanks for your response visa officer. But. I hope this will not disqualify her.

(1) (2) (3) ... (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) ... (66)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / USA Visit Visa Part 4 / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.