Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,620 members, 7,816,552 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:04 PM

Youths Protesting At Shell In Rumuobiakani, Port-Harcourt - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Youths Protesting At Shell In Rumuobiakani, Port-Harcourt (18232 Views)

Rented Crowd Protesting At PDP Secretariat In Benin / FCT Workers Protesting At FCDA Secretariat In Abuja(Pictures) / Pictures Of Hired Youths Protesting Against Subsidy Probe Panel’s Report (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Youths Protesting At Shell In Rumuobiakani, Port-Harcourt by kodewrita(m): 7:10am On Jul 17, 2013
EVANS BIPI: most of you just come online and write/comment on issues u know nothing about. well i am privileged to be an indigene of Rumuobiokani one of the host communities to Shell Industrial Area. I am a graduate of Petroleum Engineering with a 2.1. After my NYSC, I was told to go abroad to get an MSc if I want to work with Shell. where wud i get such money? but the funniest part of these drama is that Shell employs from places like Delta, Akwa Ibom etc without a BSc. I can tell u categorically that we don't have any Shell Staff from my community. Shell has enjoyed smooth relationship with our community for the past 100 years of their existence in our land but never feels we are employable. We have the highest number of unemployed youths in Rivers State because other companies think we have shell in our domain. A colleague of mine back then in the University from Delta who was warfed because of his poor performance is a staff of Shell as i write this piece. so it is not about academic prowess but a political agenda been carried out against youths of Shell I.A host communities. Rebisi is playing host to Total Finaelf, they have a working MOU to employ, train and develop youths of Rebisi and other host communities they operate from but Shell believes in the divide and rule policy. Shell is a curse on my people not a blessing. so if they leave, other IOCs will come in with a better corporate Social Responsibilty package for Youths of Shell I.A communities.

After my NYSC, []I was told to go abroad to get an MSc if I want to work with Shell. where wud i get such money? but the funniest part of these drama is that Shell employs from places like Delta, Akwa Ibom etc without a BSc.

Who told you to go and get MSc from abroad? Did you apply officially and get rejected OR did you (in spite of the fact that you are supposedly an educated graduate) rely on rumour for information?

Also have you heard of PTDF Scholarships, Mobil Scholarships, Total Scholarships, Shell Scholarships, AGIP Scholarships ( all restricted to Niger Delta indigenes from Rivers, Delta and Bayelsa with the exception of PTDF which is national). And dont claim its gated exclusively for the powerful. Have you EVER applied? Most likely NO.
Sir, you have no excuse on that score.

A colleague of mine back then in the University from Delta who was warfed because of his poor performance is a staff of Shell as i write this piece.
Deal with your envy. Besides, Delta is also a Niger Delta area and they had Shell facilities too. Shell is not just the property of Port Harcourt people. Warri people, Bonny people and others deserve employment too.

We have the highest number of unemployed youths in Rivers State because other companies think we have shell in our domain.
This can only apply to unskilled jobs. I heard from a confirmed source (a lady who works in Shell) that local communities protect each Shell/Total/Eni location as if its their own. As such Rumuobiakani people cannot go and seek unskilled jobs in Shell RA which is in Rumuokwurushi and vice versa. Now, who is responsible for that? The IOCs or your squabbling communities?

Rebisi is playing host to Total Finaelf, they have a working MOU to employ, train and develop youths of Rebisi and other host communities they operate from but Shell believes in the divide and rule policy.
Have your youth leaders ever approached any IOCs for this? or are they just content with earning money as manpower contractors for the few slots available by selling them to even non-indigenes? Long and short: Hold your youth Leaders responsible for this. . A neighbour who happens to be from Bonny was laughing at your protest. He mentioned the fact that youth leaders are the chief culprits even in his own area as they supposedly sell NLNG slots to non-indigenes for personal gain. Go and hold them responsible.

Shell is a curse on my people not a blessing. so if they leave, other IOCs will come in with a better corporate Social Responsibilty package for Youths of Shell I.A communities.

Please be informed that if Shell leaves, no other IOC will come in as most of the IOCs are actually selling.

Total sold 3 oil blocks a few months ago, Shell sold some too, AGIP has been quietly selling. Any sale now will result in the NPDC or local oil companies coming in.

And also please be informed that those people are going to pay top dollar to get Shell/Mobil/Total/Eni/Chevron assets and as such they will not be prepared to come in and recruit host community people for 60k to serve tea twice a day like the IOCs do. They will be there solely to recoup the billions of dollars they will have paid the IOCs. Go and ask the people in Warri what has happened to them now that NPDC, SEPLAT and other companies have taken over in warri. They are still protesting (even this week) that those companies are not recruiting and they have laid off lots of contractors. Ignore the warri-based internet warriors here who are pretending to be invincible. Ask the real ex-Shell, ex-Chevron contractors how they are surviving.

Besides if NNPC/NPDC come in, they will recruit based on Federal Character (The Majority tribes must all be represented and after then other communities ) so it will be a loss for you to chase Shell or the IOCs away.

Many of them are actually fair compared to local companies because they are scared of bad news on CNN which affects their share price. The nigerian stock market does not care whether mobile police kill you at an Oando facility. Oando share price will still rise inspite of that.

6 Likes

Re: Youths Protesting At Shell In Rumuobiakani, Port-Harcourt by megainvest: 7:20am On Jul 17, 2013
^ The words of a properly informed individual will always stand out. Excellently put kodewrita cool
Re: Youths Protesting At Shell In Rumuobiakani, Port-Harcourt by Jarus(m): 7:59am On Jul 17, 2013
kodewrita:

Who told you to go and get MSc from abroad? Did you apply officially and get rejected OR did you (in spite of the fact that you are supposedly an educated graduate) rely on rumour for information?

Also have you heard of PTDF Scholarships, Mobil Scholarships, Total Scholarships, Shell Scholarships, AGIP Scholarships ( all restricted to Niger Delta indigenes from Rivers, Delta and Bayelsa with the exception of PTDF which is national). And dont claim its gated exclusively for the powerful. Have you EVER applied? Most likely NO.

Deal with your envy. Besides, Delta is also a Niger Delta area and they had Shell facilities too. Shell is not just the property of Port Harcourt people. Warri people, Bonny people and others deserve employment too.

This can only apply to unskilled jobs. I heard from a confirmed source (a lady who works in Shell) that local communities protect each Shell/Total/Eni location as if its their own. As such Rumuobiakani people cannot go and seek unskilled jobs in Shell RA which is in Rumuokwurushi and vice versa. Now, who is responsible for that? The IOCs or your squabbling communities?

Have your youth leaders ever approached any IOCs for this? or are they just content with earning money as manpower contractors for the few slots available by selling them to even non-indigenes? Long and short: Hold your youth Leaders responsible for this. . A neighbour who happens to be from Bonny was laughing at your protest. He mentioned the fact that youth leaders are the chief culprits even in his own area as they supposedly sell NLNG slots to non-indigenes for personal gain. Go and hold them responsible.

Please be informed that if Shell leaves, no other IOC will come in as most of the IOCs are actually selling.

Total sold 3 oil blocks a few months ago, Shell sold some too, AGIP has been quietly selling. Any sale now will result in the NPDC or local oil companies coming in.

And also please be informed that those people are going to pay top dollar to get Shell/Mobil/Total/Eni/Chevron assets and as such they will not be prepared to come in and recruit host community people for 60k to serve tea twice a day like the IOCs do. They will be there solely to recoup the billions of dollars they will have paid the IOCs. Go and ask the people in Warri what has happened to them now that NPDC, SEPLAT and other companies have taken over in warri. They are still protesting (even this week) that those companies are not recruiting and they have laid off lots of contractors. Ignore the warri-based internet warriors here who are pretending to be invincible. Ask the real ex-Shell, ex-Chevron contractors how they are surviving.

Besides if NNPC/NPDC come in, they will recruit based on Federal Character (The Majority tribes must all be represented and after then other communities ) so it will be a loss for you to chase Shell or the IOCs away.

Many of them are actually fair compared to local companies because they are scared of bad news on CNN which affects their share price. The nigerian stock market does not care whether mobile police kill you at an Oando facility. Oando share price will still rise inspite of that.

Hoping they understand this.
Re: Youths Protesting At Shell In Rumuobiakani, Port-Harcourt by Nobody: 8:08am On Jul 17, 2013
Jarus:

Hoping they understand this.
thank you...infact these youth leaders, God will punish them unto their 4th generation, very foolish things even in federal universities across the country, you will find them selling N20,000 N10,000 govt scholarship meant for indegene students to non-indegene student...these are the bad leaders which must be vehemently discarded
Re: Youths Protesting At Shell In Rumuobiakani, Port-Harcourt by EVANSBIPI: 8:19am On Jul 17, 2013
kodewrita:

Young man, i am not dull. i am telling you facts. i currently work as a safety Manager. What i am telling you is just the truth even the contract jobs arent given to our youths. I think the meeting held yesterday with stallholders and Shell Rep will solve this ill acts

1 Like

Re: Youths Protesting At Shell In Rumuobiakani, Port-Harcourt by Nobody: 8:42am On Jul 17, 2013
lonamy: what really surprised me is the fact that, these angry youths don't have what it takes to be employed. they don't have quality education, the kind of education in the south south is amazing.
ordinary shl test they can not pass, even the few that try to scape cut off marks, you will vomit while interviewing them, they don't have the qualities, imaging what they are fighting for, that is to show their level of intellegence.

well shell is already planning to sell off her assets in port harcourt as they did in warri and warri is now a ghost town. I think in another 2-3 years shell must have completed all the sales of her assets and move to Lagos finally. this call by the youths is a catalyst to shell's plan to leave port harcourt. youths you are fighting the battle you can never win, instead go back to your elders and ask what they did to the money they could have used to give you the quality education that could have made you employeable anywhere in the world. to be very frank with you, you don't have the qualities, shikenah.
and you think you are better than them with these cheap grammatical errors. My friend go and sit down. You are nothing but a class clown. I did my post graduate in the south west. I know what education is like over there!
Re: Youths Protesting At Shell In Rumuobiakani, Port-Harcourt by Calebsky(m): 9:31am On Jul 17, 2013
EVANS BIPI: [b]most of you just come online and write/comment on issues u know nothing about. well i am privileged to be an indigene of Rumuobiokani one of the host communities to Shell Industrial Area. I am a graduate of Petroleum Engineering with a 2.1. After my NYSC, I was told to go abroad to get an MSc if I want to work with Shell. where wud i get such money? but the funniest part of these drama is that Shell employs from places like Delta, Akwa Ibom etc without a BSc. I can tell u categorically that we don't have any Shell Staff from my community. Shell has enjoyed smooth relationship with our community for the past 100 years of their existence in our land but never feels we are employable. We have the highest number of unemployed youths in Rivers State because other companies think we have shell in our domain. A colleague of mine back then in the University from Delta who was warfed because of his poor performance is a staff of Shell as i write this piece. so it is not about academic prowess but a political agenda been carried out against youths of Shell I.A host communities. Rebisi is playing host to Total Finaelf, they have a working MOU to employ, train and develop youths of Rebisi and other host communities they operate from but Shell believes in the divide and rule policy. Shell is a curse on my people not a blessing. so if they leave, other IOCs will come in with a better corporate Social Responsibilty package for Youths of Shell I.A communities.[/b]

You lied about the fact that there's no indigene of Rumuobiakani as a Shell staff. (M...... Ejims),just to mention only one, is a friend of mine from rumuobiakani and currently employed as a Shell Staff. He has always been in Shell to the best of my knowledge. After OND with RIVPOLY he did Industrial Training with Shell. During BSc with RSUST he has always done vacation jobs with Shell. After NYSC he has been working with Shell. And today as i write he is still a bonafide staff of Shell.
If you read Petroleum Engineering and with a 2.1 you should not have a problem. Even friends of mine that graduated with a Third Class in Petroleum Engineering are gainfully employed in Agip, Sahara, Geoservices, Total and a host of other companies. I do not know what your inclinations are on as it applies to your field of study, but, i will advice you go study and learn MBAL, Eclipse and a little of other petroleum-related softwares and i bet you you would land a job sooner than you know in areas of reservoir characterization, development and forecasts. You would be needed as a reservoir engineer. There are a lot of companies looking for this particular skill, and if you do as a petroleum engineering student, with perseverance and determination you would get a job soon. Just top up your knowledge and empower yourself with specific skills and trainings and you would be good to go. The Oil and gas industry is highly competitive the world over.

4 Likes

Re: Youths Protesting At Shell In Rumuobiakani, Port-Harcourt by pweetymama(f): 9:57am On Jul 17, 2013
Why r these pple always looking for an excuse to protest when they can't pass d examination for d recruitment?same tin they did during d teachers recruitment.they shud go get a life!
Re: Youths Protesting At Shell In Rumuobiakani, Port-Harcourt by Calebsky(m): 10:00am On Jul 17, 2013
kodewrita:

well said.
Re: Youths Protesting At Shell In Rumuobiakani, Port-Harcourt by DonaldGenes(m): 10:39am On Jul 17, 2013
kodewrita:

and who told you some IOC do serve TEA twice a day......how can someone be drinking tea for office? na waaoh abi better chow(food) no dey
Re: Youths Protesting At Shell In Rumuobiakani, Port-Harcourt by otokx(m): 10:45am On Jul 17, 2013
Tea that is served is not the normal one o but includes some additional services.

1 Like

Re: Youths Protesting At Shell In Rumuobiakani, Port-Harcourt by DonaldGenes(m): 11:10am On Jul 17, 2013
otokx: Tea that is served is not the normal one o but includes some additional services.
oh boy no wnonderrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
abi na customised tea
Re: Youths Protesting At Shell In Rumuobiakani, Port-Harcourt by Nobody: 3:32pm On Jul 17, 2013
A protest of touts and thugs! Huh! lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Youths Protesting At Shell In Rumuobiakani, Port-Harcourt by XOXOlala: 4:12pm On Jul 17, 2013
Dear Information givers, is actually good to give information, better to give good information and BEST to give a correct, trusted and validated information because information is POWER. The issue at Shell gate is purely unsettles scores between 3 communities around shell industrial Area (called Land lord associated) with respect to communities contract which was awarded to the 3 communities. These contracts are meant to be shared with equity and fairness amongst them by their so called Community leader (both youth leader and those 70 years old men that still answer youth leader) but rather, allocation was diverted by the same leader to their personal interest. (e.g., distance relatives, family friends, sell the slot to outsider etc.) Instead of employing their community persons, either Youth or old because most of the community contract cuts across different ages as they range from Tea girls, to cleaners, grass cutting etc. such contract are NEVER contested for as they are team to be community contract.
Point of correction, Shell is not a local firm and operates on global standard. But has Voluntary Principles on Security and Human Rights, treating everyone with respect.
The disturbance and situation around today was just a product of greed, from their leader who fails to give them their due rite as extended by shell. Shell does not employ mediocre; shell is an employer of FIRST CHOICE. Not necessary first class but practically sealable. Shell Test is not conducted by shell in so doing MUST be fair to all concern. Also shell is a joint venture company. I think NNPC should be the best place to Protest for employment. Shell go out of their way to do thing to accommodate local content (like in the case of tenant and Landlord, when a tenant MUST not wait for land lord to fix his leaking roof else his properties are damaged)
Well, the information is just to let you know that the situation was caused by greedy community leaders that decided to sell their birth right, and the only way to bring it to the top management notice was to do what they did on the 16th. I like the courage also.

2 Likes

Re: Youths Protesting At Shell In Rumuobiakani, Port-Harcourt by babestell(f): 5:06pm On Jul 17, 2013
kodewrita:

Your so smart and mature in your reply. You said it all. I really wish you sucess in all your endeavours, You deserve it.

1 Like

Re: Youths Protesting At Shell In Rumuobiakani, Port-Harcourt by agitator: 5:10pm On Jul 17, 2013
ilugunboy:

Sorry to say to you Sir or madam...you've spoken senselessly with too much emotion...use your God given brain ...it's free to use..you don't pay to use your brain.

I thought you people said Lagos was the Eldorado, why bother about Phc or the Niger Delta?

You should have your brain examined, if you think Shell can operate the oil fields from a Lagos base.
Re: Youths Protesting At Shell In Rumuobiakani, Port-Harcourt by ibiso1986: 5:33pm On Jul 17, 2013
pweetymama: Why r these pple always looking for an excuse to protest when they can't pass d examination for d recruitment?same tin they did during d teachers recruitment.they shud go get a life!
mama, wat are u trying to say, my brother wrote the recruitment exams and his score was excellent.. So don't generalize.. Cheers
Re: Youths Protesting At Shell In Rumuobiakani, Port-Harcourt by ibiso1986: 5:47pm On Jul 17, 2013
Here's the bitter truth,, most Rivers indigenes don't carry themselves along.. A rich rivers man/woman that works in a reputable company would rather help a non indigene instead of his/her people..(My aunt is an example). The yorubas always carry themselves along.. Wish more nigerdeltans can act that way

2 Likes

Re: Youths Protesting At Shell In Rumuobiakani, Port-Harcourt by DonaldGenes(m): 10:44pm On Jul 17, 2013
ibiso1986: Here's the bitter truth,, most Rivers indigenes don't carry themselves along.. A rich rivers man/woman that works in a reputable company would rather help a non indigene instead of his/her people..(My aunt is an example). The yorubas always carry themselves along.. Wish more nigerdeltans can act that way
like wetin your aunty do
Re: Youths Protesting At Shell In Rumuobiakani, Port-Harcourt by yang(m): 9:50am On Jul 18, 2013
kodewrita:

The nigerian stock market does not care whether mobile police kill you at an Oando facility. Oando share price will still rise inspite of that.

Lmfaooo. . . This got me laffing
Re: Youths Protesting At Shell In Rumuobiakani, Port-Harcourt by Nobody: 5:50pm On Jul 19, 2013
biafranqueen: we should stop fooling ourselves no such thing as middle class only two classes existing in this world Powerful Class and the Powerless Class .
If one earn less than 50k, one is sure among the the powerless class.
Re: Youths Protesting At Shell In Rumuobiakani, Port-Harcourt by Nobody: 5:57pm On Jul 19, 2013
mmark12:

then what was the point of asking such absurd question
Are u learning how to be abusive or has your economic situation made you lose your sense of decency?
Re: Youths Protesting At Shell In Rumuobiakani, Port-Harcourt by mmark12(m): 6:47pm On Jul 22, 2013
Mee234:
Are u learning how to be abusive or has your economic situation made you lose your sense of decency?

i dont blame you, you slowpoke. u probably are among those that have never worked for a day in their life and if u have a job you probably used connection instead of merit and hard work. ODE
Re: Youths Protesting At Shell In Rumuobiakani, Port-Harcourt by mmark12(m): 6:48pm On Jul 22, 2013
Mee234: cry cry baby
Re: Youths Protesting At Shell In Rumuobiakani, Port-Harcourt by Nobody: 7:31am On Aug 01, 2013
mmark12: Mee234: cry cry baby
hehehehe. been busy working. hw is work?
Re: Youths Protesting At Shell In Rumuobiakani, Port-Harcourt by mmark12(m): 2:04pm On Aug 01, 2013
Mee234:
hehehehe. been busy working. hw is work?

please leave me alone, and go whine with someone else

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

How To Identify Suicide Bombers – Buratai / See The Houses I Saw In A Village In Imo State Today - Photos / Court Dismisses Nnamdi Kanu’s Fundamental Rights Suit Against DSS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.