Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,457 members, 7,816,070 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:19 AM

Windows Vista Tweaks for Optimal System Performance - Computers (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Windows Vista Tweaks for Optimal System Performance (24794 Views)

BBM For PC Download, Blackberry Messenger For Windows7/8/vista Computer / Hp Deskjet D2360 Driver For Windows Vista / Why Win 2000, Win Xp or Windows Vista When There's Win 98? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Windows Vista Tweaks for Optimal System Performance by vicero(m): 11:02am On Aug 26, 2008
Abeg, where can i get a free download of UNIX or any LINUX edition, secondly i need a shell account and lastly is there a user/newsgroup in 9ja for linux?
Re: Windows Vista Tweaks for Optimal System Performance by lynxnoon(m): 7:33pm On Aug 26, 2008
chek www.ubuntunigeria.com or google ubuntuforum
cheers
Re: Windows Vista Tweaks for Optimal System Performance by ExInferis(m): 10:43am On Aug 27, 2008
vicero:

The suggestions are good, though most are rather wrong ( practically), asking one to disable system restore? this is supposed to a forum to encourage good computer ethics, its rather wrong, u shld be arrested for ever suggesting that, but tumbs up to u, u've done a good job, thanks for the advice.

i have absolutely no idea what you mean "wrong (practically)", can u enlighten us please? and who said anything about turning off system restore?

honsule:

wonderful thread.guy i have this windows vista Hp laptop,and just yesterday while browsing the firefox closes itself automatically.i was just wondering.after tryin to see whether it was due to settings,but to no effect.when i restart the system the theme settings just changed and likewise resolution.the battery that before then i could change the power settings,this time around the power settings was just on high reformance,it refuses to change.could this be virus?what should i do?Note:i used a card reader with one MMC and it changed the folders to an exe files.

most probably you have a virus from the sound of things. when you inserted your MMC which probably is infected im sure explorer executed Autorun. ive found out that most viruses now piggyback on Ravmon.exe in order to install themselves via the autorun feature (which mostly runs with Admin privileges) so turning Autorun off is a good starting point.

since your box is already infected, a bit of viral housecleaning is called for, so choose your poison:

1. use an antivirus software

2. swallow your pride and format.

goodluck
Re: Windows Vista Tweaks for Optimal System Performance by schibaba(m): 6:00pm On Aug 27, 2008
This is a lovely thread, and thanks guys for all the information and knowledge you pass on to us. Ex Inferis i loved you sermon about the spiritual convertion. Blessing await you.

I think we should all just use vista as a backup os, just incase there is any windows based app that will not drink WINE. Then you can lock it behind Windows and Gates.

I think the best things in life are given to us free.
Re: Windows Vista Tweaks for Optimal System Performance by ExInferis(m): 6:49pm On Aug 27, 2008
schibaba:

This is a lovely thread, and thanks guys for all the information and knowledge you pass on to us. Ex Inferis i loved you sermon about the spiritual convertion. Blessing await you.

I think we should all just use vista as a backup os, just incase there is any windows based app that will not drink WINE. Then you can lock it behind Windows and Gates.

I think the best things in life are given to us free.

you said it better than anyone ever could.
Re: Windows Vista Tweaks for Optimal System Performance by honsule(m): 12:38am On Aug 28, 2008
@Ex. i have since formatted the system and deleted the "yeyetic" Norton anti virus that came with the HP notebook.I need a powerful anti virus now.what is the repercussion of having more than one anti virus on your notebook?
Re: Windows Vista Tweaks for Optimal System Performance by ExInferis(m): 12:57am On Aug 28, 2008
@honsule

law of diminishing returns

bogged down system, conflicting thread priorities, errors etc.
Re: Windows Vista Tweaks for Optimal System Performance by rexfada(m): 1:08pm On Aug 28, 2008
tnx big broda 4 ur contribution on Win Vista. But d ridiculous tin about it is dt i tried it but didnt work 4 me, instead my machine became slower shocked , and WMP and yahoo musik jukebox stopped playing sad. abi i no use am nwell?

all d same, tnx 4 ur contribution.
the only one i left is d one dt has 2 do with file indexing, dut i reverse back 4 d oda ones wey i bin do.[color=#990000][/color]
Re: Windows Vista Tweaks for Optimal System Performance by ExInferis(m): 3:05pm On Aug 28, 2008
rexfada:

tnx big brother 4 your contribution on Win Vista. But d ridiculous tin about it is dt i tried it but didnt work 4 me, instead my machine became slower shocked , and WMP and yahoo musik jukebox stopped playing sad. abi i no use am nwell?

all d same, tnx 4 your contribution.
the only one i left is d one dt has 2 do with file indexing, dut i reverse back 4 d oda ones wey i bin do.[color=#990000][/color]

vista has so much stuff running in the background that you do not need. check the first post and stop them via services in task manager. also, check MSCONFIG and kill off anything you dont need running in RAM at boot time (eg yahoo messenegr/live meesenger, windows media player, winamp agent, windows defender, sidebar, webshots etc). they all serve to clog a low-specced system. also the file indexing you speak of (and volume shadow copy) all cause hangups, although shadow copy is critical especially if you work with docs. what it does is to allow you (in vista ultimate and business) restore overwritten files to their previous states even after saving (like OS X's Time Machine).

you can also use Vlite and customize a vista CD just to your taste, removing unnecessary stuff. google for the tool, its free and easy to use.

if you have absolutely no compelling reason to upgrade to vista and your machine has low specs, stick with your XP and love-vendor it up. you'll be glad you did.

thanks all, cheers.
Re: Windows Vista Tweaks for Optimal System Performance by honsule(m): 6:48pm On Aug 28, 2008
@Ex.Windows vista is giving me headache.Am thinking of changing to xp.I tried browsing today and both my firefox and internet explorer etc kept closing themselves after 3 minutes of browsing.In fact,i have already back up my stuff in the recovery Disk.What next?
Re: Windows Vista Tweaks for Optimal System Performance by ExInferis(m): 10:45pm On Aug 28, 2008
so long as your drive is not SATA (there may be issues with xp) you are good to go (so long as you have drivers ready). plunk your xp cd and boot from it then go from there. alternatively you can dualboot and install linux so like Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus,you have best of both worlds.
Re: Windows Vista Tweaks for Optimal System Performance by zoomzu(f): 3:09pm On Aug 29, 2008
Gurus in the house,

Presently, I am battling with how to get starcomms D1200P for browsing installed on my HP Laptop with Vista operating system, the starcomms engineers too finds it difficult to get it installed, They tried installing winRAR on it all to no avail, what they asked me to do is to make it 32bits instead of 64 bits which I don't know how to get that done .
Re: Windows Vista Tweaks for Optimal System Performance by honsule(m): 11:22am On Aug 30, 2008
How can one delete a mistakenly back up stuffs in a RECOVERY(D).
Re: Windows Vista Tweaks for Optimal System Performance by ExInferis(m): 7:05pm On Aug 30, 2008
zoomzu:

Gurus in the house,

Presently, I am battling with how to get starcomms D1200P for browsing installed on my HP Laptop with Vista operating system, the starcomms engineers too finds it difficult to get it installed, They tried installing winRAR on it all to no avail, what they asked me to do is to make it 32bits instead of 64 bits which I don't know how to get that done . 

i have no idea what a D1200P is but if its a desktop phone (huawei) i may have the solution. in the days when i went for starcomms 1x, they told me i had to have xp ecause my system is vista. i thought to myself there is no reason a modem wouldnt work in vista seeing as most modems have a standard comm protocol across all windows NT based OS's.

if indeed yours is the huawei deskphone then follow the tut below.

pop in the modem driver cd, run the installer and when  you get to the point where the device is asked for, plug in the phone and wait for the UMP and TI Boot drivers to install. when done, go to device manager (type "device" in search or go through control panel),  select ports, right click the TIUSB (its the last) device and select properties, select port settings, set data rate to 11500, and flow control to hardware.

now go to Add Hardware in control panel, select "install from a list", vista wont be able to find the modem on its own so under "common hardware types"  select "modems", tick "don't detect my modem, i will select it from a list", on the left pane select Huawei.

after installation go to network and control center and set up your dialup connection.

if you don't have the settings here they are:

phone number: #777

username: your phonenumber@starcomms.com (omit the first 0, eg if your number is 01885938, remove the 0)

password:your phonenumber(still omit the 0)

name the connection anything you want.

i really hope this helps. if you are using a PC Card (pcmcia) i can't help; you need the vista drivers for proper bus settings and baud rate etc.

honsule:

How can one delete a mistakenly back up stuffs in a RECOVERY(D).

can you explain more please? your question is not entirely clear. in any case, don't use the vista backup facility to back up your stuff; either use a cd burner to create a data disc, or simply send everything to the cd drive and close the session.
Re: Windows Vista Tweaks for Optimal System Performance by ExInferis(m): 7:12pm On Aug 30, 2008
@all the proponents of open source and linux

it has come to my attention that even the venerable Guaranty Trust Bank uses OpenOffice.org.
Re: Windows Vista Tweaks for Optimal System Performance by amazin1(m): 9:44pm On Sep 02, 2008
thank you all, your contributions were all a great help.
Re: Windows Vista Tweaks for Optimal System Performance by Nobody: 5:36pm On Sep 03, 2008
honsule: what is the repercussion of having more than one anti virus on your notebook?

Conflicting reports, I used to have Avg and norton,

Avg was always reporting norton as virus and vicee versa, I had to remove the two and install kaspersky,
Re: Windows Vista Tweaks for Optimal System Performance by Bigpiper(m): 7:25am On Sep 07, 2008
good job guys. good piece of information. thumps up.
Re: Windows Vista Tweaks for Optimal System Performance by macyozo(m): 8:04pm On Sep 13, 2008
e be like say this vista de craze plenty, anytime im connected to the internet, after about one or two hours my system just goes crazy and starts to display all sorts of colours and combination of active applications abeg make una help o. VISTA S'UCKS
Re: Windows Vista Tweaks for Optimal System Performance by uspry1(f): 4:37pm On Sep 14, 2008
mac_yozo:

e be like say this vista de craze plenty, anytime im connected to the internet, after about one or two hours my system just goes crazy and starts to display all sorts of colours and combination of active applications abeg make una help o. VISTA S'UCKS

@mac_yozo

You have infected virus attacks on your Vista system---nothing to do with OS itself, it is your viruses files hidden without being updated scanning your anti-virus software to be detected any virus blocked.

Without anti-virus software installed on your system, you have NO PROTECT from over millions viruses spread out eating up your files worm, trojans and malwares infected.

That's why you get Vista system CRAZY WACKED!
Re: Windows Vista Tweaks for Optimal System Performance by moonraker(m): 6:11pm On Sep 26, 2008
one more tweak here,
graphic settings
you could disable transparency or reduce the transparency effect
but i recommend reducing transparency effect.
you can do this by righting clicking
properties
select windows colors and apperance
move the slider slightly to the right. trust me, u will notice some system responsiveness

also, you can modify the pagefile. i only recommend this tweak for systems with at least 1gb

the rule of pagefile is that you have to set it 1.5X of your system memory, pls do the math
in my case, i have 2gb of ram.
so i set my pagefile to 4096mb for initial and maximum
and my system is very responsive
note after doing that, you have to defrag yur system
how do i do it, u ask??
right click on my computer
select properties
select advance system settings

then performance settings

then advanced
then change pagefile
tadaaaaaaaaa.

need more tweaks?? let me know,
Re: Windows Vista Tweaks for Optimal System Performance by natalie02: 10:11pm On Sep 28, 2008
Windows vista ultimate is a most power full and user friendly I have been using it for playing games .vista gives a higher graphics and the memory allocation system is a very important task which does not allow computer to work slow.
-------------------------
natalie

Car Auctions
Re: Windows Vista Tweaks for Optimal System Performance by tommmie: 4:46am On Sep 30, 2008
Hi dude this is tomcruise from Texas, I am running my HP Laptop  with Vista operating system. The windows vista ultimate is a most power full  user. I have been using it for playing games .vista gives a higher graphics and the memory allocation system is a very important task which does not allow computer to work slow.
============================
tomcruise

Job Opportunities
Re: Windows Vista Tweaks for Optimal System Performance by aragbaboy: 6:52pm On Oct 02, 2008
I want to know if I can run Vista and Linux on the same laptop. I just bought a laptop with vista running on it.
Re: Windows Vista Tweaks for Optimal System Performance by moonraker(m): 9:55pm On Oct 02, 2008
yes you can. just create a separate partion and install linux
Re: Windows Vista Tweaks for Optimal System Performance by aragbaboy: 4:44am On Oct 05, 2008
Moonraker, 

Can you please explain how I can go about creating a separate partition. Thanks
Re: Windows Vista Tweaks for Optimal System Performance by uspry1(f): 12:44pm On Oct 05, 2008
If you look for Ubuntu Linux OS to be installed sharing with Windows Vista but need some help working on Ubuntu, here are existing NL threads at below:

Very helpful!

Ubuntu Linux
www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-11508.0.html

Ubuntu 8.04: Helpful Tips, How To, Tweaks
www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-151968.0.html

love-vendor Your XP to Ubuntu Linux
www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-73176.0.html
Re: Windows Vista Tweaks for Optimal System Performance by moonraker(m): 8:46pm On Oct 05, 2008
@ aragbaboy

hard way

you can use yur windows vista or xp cd to create a partition. just slot in the disk as if yu want to install the software, then yu will get to a place where its asks yu where u want to install, then u select a drive and then select entend drive. this involves some maths becos u have to calculate how much space yu require etc

easy way

get a software called nortion partiton magic. with this software, u can create a partition while running win xp or vista. just install the software and follow the instructions.

personally speaking, i have never used partition magic before. i have only tried the first one but i suggest u try the second one first,

let me knw how that goes,
Re: Windows Vista Tweaks for Optimal System Performance by aragbaboy: 10:47pm On Oct 08, 2008
Moonraker, Immediately I install it I will get back to you, thanks
Re: Windows Vista Tweaks for Optimal System Performance by Bawss1(m): 2:51pm On Oct 17, 2008
@ Original poster

Whats the effect of using the windows ready boost feature on vista, I mean, what happens when you enable the feature with a flash drive them restart at a later time without the flash drive? Comprende?
thanx
Re: Windows Vista Tweaks for Optimal System Performance by sharpguy08(m): 9:07am On Oct 23, 2008
I want to thank the effort of everyone in this forum.
Please can someone help me with MTN free browsing.
contact me with:
email:chukschristain@yahoo.com
mobil:08033545528

Thanking you for your anticipated co-operation.
Re: Windows Vista Tweaks for Optimal System Performance by honsule(m): 2:05pm On Oct 23, 2008
Guys,i observed that on my screen at the bottom,near the battery icon is extra bright.am using windows vista Hp pavilion Dv6500 laptop.i observed the same extra brightness with a guy using Acer laptop windows vista.a guy told me that,it's a screen problem.could that be true?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Sim Card Slot On My Laptop, How Do I Use It To Connect To The Internet / ICT VPN Working Greatly Via Computer Users Unlimited / GTA San Andreas Highly Compressed Only 2 MB [100% Working]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.