Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,266 members, 7,818,922 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:08 AM

Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. - Politics (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. (51909 Views)

Photos Of The PDP Senators Who Walked Out Because Of Amaechi / Senators Who Accompanied Saraki To CCT Trial Today (photos) / Names Of Senators Who Accompanied Saraki To CCT Yesterday....... [29 In All] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. by MrsChima(f): 4:56am On Jul 21, 2013
I knew the senators were Muslims! They might as well legalize gay marriage in Nigeria!

Gay pride!
Re: Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. by coastalqueen: 7:22am On Jul 21, 2013
manny4life:

So if they ain't saint, that means they have committed SIN, so why are we here arguing BLINDLY?

It's more like your koran has brainwashed you guys blindly, you people need social education to expose your ignorance. It's only in Nigeria, other Arab and Muslim nations DO NOT, and I repeat DO NOT commit such evil acts...
honey did I hear you say other Arab nations do not what You need to get a copy of the book 'princess' and see the true confessions and life story of a real arab princess. She said so her self that they r all pretenders. Grab a copy of that o.they r d same evrywhere
Re: Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. by coastalqueen: 7:26am On Jul 21, 2013
Abujabir24:
Marrying now is an evil act? God have mercy. so you will advice me to sleep with girls, prostitutes, and whores? this is a holy act? right? I know I can never convince you and likewise you. some let's keep our thoughts to ourselves.
you are an embarrassment to nature. Tufia!!!!!
Re: Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. by tpia5: 7:53am On Jul 21, 2013
just curious- is the state of the public educational system going to be looked into anytime soon, or are there other priorities such as healthcare.
Re: Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. by Nobody: 8:41am On Jul 21, 2013
ShyM-X:

(1)Bro, I believe arranged marriages still exist in those cultures that take bride price. It might be in the minority now, but you and I can't deny that it still exist. And no matter how you look at it, arranged marriages are also forceful marriages.

(2)Also we can argue that they aren't forcing no one to pay bride price, however, we can't deny that it's a prerequisite for marrying into those cultures - and without respecting their culture(s), you won't be given the privilege to be part of it. (?)Paying a price for a bride is also like a form of slavery and buying the bride(?), hence why you can have African parents who live in different countries, doing their own thing and hardly ever see each other - yet they're still technically married because someone paid the price for the other person.

(3)Anyway, I'm not against that practice and it's part of my culture as well. I respect it for what it stands for as a Yoruba boy - since it's part of my life. I also want other people to respect it. However, I was just pointing out the hypocrisy in people's thought process, when they also have certain aspects of their culture(s) - that might look medieval and barbaric to other people.

(1) Nooooo bro. i DISAGREE. Saying such culture also involve in arranging marriages IS EQUIVALENT TO saying almost cultures in Nigeria also do so. OK Now, lets come out bold, The culture u refer to are the IGBOZ.
but bro, if u say arranged marriages exist amongst igbos, so u think those hefty prices will still be collected by their parents? if u say igbos take bride price, haba egbon, my uncle ENIOLA just paid his few months ago for same Yoruba chik he hooked. ...... come on men, these people are a TOTAL OPPOSITE to what u just said(i.e by saying they give away their child at early marriage) and so are we yorubas. TOTALLY AND ABSOLUTELY DIFFERENT as they come Are these people, I BET U THAT!

(2)But FYI, do u care to know that the idea of waiting for a big money IS gradually reducing amongst these igbos As many of them have been EYE-OPENED by the way we yorubas do ours, which hence explains d reason behind many igbo boys gunning for our yoruba girls.
and the question on it been a pre-requisite for u to marry their girls and a form of slavery, HELL NO. Why? 'COS THERE HAVE BEEN CASES OF THE LADY GETTING FRUSTRATED IN HER PARENTS' HOUSE DUE TO AGING, WHICH IN TURN MAKES HER TO TAKE D "WHOLE" MARRIAGE PLANS INTO HER HANDS AND HEREBY DISOBEYING THE PARENTS BY WALKING OUT. its DEFINITELY not all igbo parents that end up getting that "hefty bride price" they desire. ...so which explains it a large extent, as why paying BIG for their girl is not a pre-requisite, ESPECIALLY in TODAY'S WORLD of events where eyes have OPENED UP.

(3) CLEARED..... but i think saying such practice by igbos is more of trying to find a harmless fault in why they do it. Though it may look medieval(which i TOTALLY SUPPORT U AS A YORUBA TOO), u cant call it barbaric as it does no significant harm to d society UNLIKE hw paedophiles are given d chance in d North.
Re: Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. by Cupid4(m): 9:00am On Jul 21, 2013
I am very sure those two senators from ondo and edo endorsed the bill because of committee chairmanship, i will keep this in mind till that stupid senator from ondo state aspires for any higher or further political office, so ashamed to call you my state senator
Re: Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. by shamson: 10:54am On Jul 21, 2013
NIGERIA SENATOR AHMED SANI YERIMA REPLIES SPEAKS:

''Nigeria has many uncountable problems and none of them is early marriage. As a matter of fact early marriage the solution to about half of our problems. For those who wonder if I can give my daughter(s) out in marriage at the age of 9 or 13, I tell you most honestly, I can give her out at the age of 6 if I want to and its not your business.

This is because I am a Muslim and I follow the example of the best of mankind, Muhammad ﺻَﻠَّﻰ ﺍﻟﻠَّﻪُ ﻋَﻠَﻴْﻪِ ﻭَﺳَﻠَّﻢَ .

In Islam, marriage is not only about sex, it is about family and helping one another in achieving their goals, which is the attainment of Paradise.
In Islam, a girl can be given out in marriage as early as 6 years old, but consummation of the marriage can only be done when the girl becomes physically mature and she gives her consent to it because unlike English law, it is not permissible for a man to rape his wife in Shari'ah Law.
So what can anybody tell me?

~ I live in a city where young girls at the age of 12 have already became serial fornicators and cannot count the number of man they've had sex with.

~ I live in a City where primary school children disvirgin themselves behind toilets on Valentine day.

~ I live in a city where young girls flood the street at night looking for men that would give them N500 to have sex with them.

~ I live in a city where parents send their daughters out overseas to prostitute and send dollars down.

~ I live in a City where Government officials pick undergraduates from University car parks with Coastal Buses to wild sex parties.

~ I live in a city where abortion is so common that even a Chemist shore owner can perform abortion with just N2,500.

These are your daughters, and this should worry you and not Yerima's private matters. So ask me again why I support early marriage and I will slap the Jinn out of your head''.

- Senator Ahmad Sani Yarima
Re: Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. by Nobody: 11:08am On Jul 21, 2013
shamson: NIGERIA SENATOR AHMED SANI YERIMA REPLIES SPEAKS:

''Nigeria has many uncountable problems and none of them is early marriage. As a matter of fact early marriage the solution to about half of our problems. For those who wonder if I can give my daughter(s) out in marriage at the age of 9 or 13, I tell you most honestly, I can give her out at the age of 6 if I want to and its not your business.

This is because I am a Muslim and I follow the example of the best of mankind, Muhammad ﺻَﻠَّﻰ ﺍﻟﻠَّﻪُ ﻋَﻠَﻴْﻪِ ﻭَﺳَﻠَّﻢَ .

In Islam, marriage is not only about sex, it is about family and helping one another in achieving their goals, which is the attainment of Paradise.
In Islam, a girl can be given out in marriage as early as 6 years old, but consummation of the marriage can only be done when the girl becomes physically mature and she gives her consent to it because unlike English law, it is not permissible for a man to rape his wife in Shari'ah Law.

~ I live in a city where young girls at the age of 12 have already became serial fornicators and cannot count the number of man they've had sex with.

~ I live in a City where primary school children disvirgin themselves behind toilets on Valentine day.

~ I live in a city where young girls flood the street at night looking for men that would give them N500 to have sex with them.

~ I live in a city where parents send their daughters out overseas to prostitute and send dollars down.

~ I live in a City where Government officials pick undergraduates from University car parks with Coastal Buses to wild sex parties.

~ I live in a city where abortion is so common that even a Chemist shore owner can perform abortion with just N2,500.

These are your daughters, and this should worry you and not Yerima's private matters. So ask me again why I support early marriage and I will slap the Jinn out of your head''.

WORDS FROM A "RETARDEEN" ON HOW HE MARRIED A "RETARDEENESS" , quoted and supported by a "RETARDINHO"
undecided

1 Like

Re: Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. by Nobody: 12:10pm On Jul 21, 2013
ShyM-X:

Isn't the celebration of Christmas, Easter et al part of the Zeus religion?

And wasn't Zeus also the ancient Roman religion before Roman Catholic took off from where it stopped?

Heck, even the bronze statue of Jupiter (Zeus) is in the Vatican. grin tongue
Guy are u confused or high? We are talking about underage marriage n u r talking rubbish about ancient space Jupiter n roman philosophy. Look I have a 9i yr old girl now I was thinking the effect of islamist extremist law will have on her. Recently the poor girl of Pakistan that the Taliban shot on head, do u think she will support our crazy law? She want equal rights for girls, she doesn't support underage marriage and the worst is that she a muslim n against the law
Re: Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. by Nobody: 12:13pm On Jul 21, 2013
shamson: NIGERIA SENATOR AHMED SANI YERIMA REPLIES SPEAKS:

U confused now need help. Are u saying all women are like that?
Re: Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. by Klinee: 12:59pm On Jul 21, 2013
Mrs.Chima:
I knew the senators were Muslims! They might as well legalize gay marriage in Nigeria!

Gay pride!
devilish fool
Re: Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. by Salym(m): 4:58pm On Jul 21, 2013
NewsRescue- It is not unusual for Nigeria’s media, which consists of many highly unprofessional scripters, to present junk and trash for public consumption. NewsRescue was created among other things, for this very purpose. Cleaning a filthy and propagandist, dangerous media.

Here are the facts of the senate proceedings in question:
The topic voted on in the senate was not, “age of marriage,” as it has been made to appear.
The presentation by senator Yerima, was not, the age a woman should marry.
35 Nigerian senators who voted against the deletion of the segment, did not vote for age of marriage, rather they voted to uphold women’s unaleniable rights, even over men.
Senator Yerima did not introduce any thing new, rather he simply pointed out in upholding Nigeria’s constitution, that segments can not simply be deleted without proper vote and due process.
And finally, underlined: the segment to be deleted threatened to deprive women of their rights.
We proceed to review the section 29 of the constitution that was to be deleted without proper process:
Citizenship renunciation Rights
(1) Any citizen of Nigeria of full age who wishes to renounce his Nigerian citizenship shall make a declaration in the prescribed manner for the renunciation.
(2) The President shall cause the declaration made under subsection (1) of this section to be registered and upon such registration, the person who made the declaration shall cease to be a citizen of Nigeria.
(3) The President may withhold the registration of any declaration made under subsection (1) of this section if-
(a) the declaration is made during any war in which Nigeria is physically involved; or
(b) in his opinion, it is otherwise contrary to public policy.
(4) For the purposes of subsection (1) of this section.
(a) “full age” means the age of eighteen years and above;
(b) any woman who is married shall be deemed to be of full age.
It is immediately seen from the above, that the section deals with conditions under which a Nigerian citizen is considered eligible to make a declaration to revoke his citizenship. “full age” to denounce/revoke/renounce Nigerian citizenship is used in reference to being allowed to make decisions, including this revocation. For both sexes, “full age” is 18 and above, however according to this section of the constitution, a woman is given greater and exclusive rights and authority, being regarded of “full age” to make decisions as serious as the revocation of her citizenship, once she is married.

When we think of what the Nigerian feminist forum created a petition to contest, it is very scary. They acted “hormonally,” without even taking a read of the constitutional segment in discussion. This constitutional permission, actually safe-guards women’s rights by allowing for instance, a married woman or girl, who feels cheated or otherwise deprived by Nigeria, the right to denounce her citizenship. This section is not related to and does not address what age a woman can marry.
NewsRescue-My Thoughts On ‘Child’ Marriage

It simply addresses what age a woman is eligible to make full fledgeling decisions, which of course can include divorce. If this section was deleted, then if for instance a 16 year old is married, she will not be considered “of age,” to challenge the marriage in court, or to revoke her citizenship if she wishes to seek asylum via the United Nations, or to any single citizenship nation. Such married young woman will have to wait and bear the pain till she is 18.

Senator Yerima had pointed out, that in Islam, once a woman is married, she is automatically of age to make all adult life decisions, including the right to divorce, this is as obtains in Nigeria’s constitution. Only the 35 senators listed below, voted to uphold these fundamental women’s rights of age unlimited choice, including the choice to denounce citizenship:

Sadly, it is evident that many of Nigeria’s senators are slightly more than barely literate and the Nigerian press is no better. See error and daft journalism in Punch, AllAfrica, Dailypost, Naij, SaharaReporters, to point out a few irresponsible editorials.

Quoting other sources:

2. CITIZENSHIP
The Section 26 of the 1999 Constitution defines who is a Nigerian citizen and how same may be acquired by naturalization and by registration. The Constitution makes no provision for the process by which non-Nigerian men married to Nigerian women and who are so desirous, may become Nigerian citizens. The silence here has continued to wreck untold hardship on the stability of many marriages.

Furthermore, section 29(4) (b) of the constitution provides for the renunciation of citizenship and thus allows an under aged woman to revoke her citizenship even when she has not attained the age of majority or the constitutional voting age. http://gtdn..com/2010/01/gender-gaps-in-nigeria-constitution.html

Ayo Turton, a US based lawyer explains the same:
Ayo Turton is a USA based lawyer
The clause that is really causing this unnecessary hullabaloo is Section 29 (4) (b). That clause has always been part of our laws, but the Senate moved to remove it as infringing on child’s right by making every married woman an adult. At the taking of the vote for the first time, they got two-third to remove it from the Constitution. But Yerima stood up and whipped up religious sentiment by galvanizing his Muslim brothers who ignorantly believed him into action. When the peace was threatened, David Mark, the Senate President capitulates and asked that the vote be taken again, at this point they were no longer able to garner two-third votes to remove the provision from the Constitution, so it remains.

Now to the legal issue: Section 29 (4) CLEARLY states: “for the purposes of subsection 1″ Section 29 subsection (1) CLEARLY states: “Any citizen of Nigeria of full age WHO WISHES TO RENOUNCE HIS NIGERIAN CITIZENSHIP (emphasis mine) shall make a declaration in the prescribed manner for the renunciation”

This is called “narrow definition” Subsection (1) narrowly defined under what circumstances the definitions stated at clauses (a) and (b) would be applicable. Therefore clauses (a) and (b) of section 29 (4) are only relevant to “renunciation of citizenship” alone. What made this clearer and should leave no one in doubt is the fact that clause 29 (4) (a) re-emphasized that “full age” shall be 18, but if you are already married, for the purposes of renunciation of citizenship you shall be automatically qualified to do so even if you are not 18 yet. Because you are deemed of “full age” for renunciation reason based on the unambiguous definition given by subsection 29 (1) In any case S. 29 (4) (b) is referring to someone already married not about-to-marry.

As a matter of fact, if you ask me, the Constitution as it is, threatens Yerima status than support it.

Posted by Myne Whitman, Romance meets life
Yerima and The Nigerian Senate Did Not Change The Age of Marriage
…In conclusion, it is said that a large number of Nigerians don’t really know the law or their rights, and I think the lawmakers fall into this category. Those who pushed to delete section 29(4)(b) did it on the grounds that it contradicts 29(4)(a) and infringes the right of a child by allowing early marriage. I think otherwise. I believe section 29(4)(b) of the constitution deals with the age of a woman after the fact of marriage, and what rights she has at that time.

http://newsrescue.com/how-nigerias-gutter-media-misconstrued-the-yerima-underage-marriage-senate-proceeding/#axzz2ZbUrz0dG

this is all about hatred hypocrits

1 Like

Re: Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. by sweetgala(m): 9:18am On Jul 22, 2013
^^ I have read valid points from the other legal practitioners and yes there is no immediately obvious link between that particular clause and under age marriage. But it exist a loophole which grants yerima authority and legal shelter. His now 17 year old Egyptian bride is considered an adult(she has been entitled to the rights to vote as every other Nigerian adult since the age of 13)
This loophole would allow paedophiles to buy children and marry them in pervert friendly havens outside Nigeria and bring them to nigeria where they exist as adults.
Re: Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. by nduchucks: 10:01am On Jul 22, 2013
Katsumoto:

Well put - Nigeria needs to be re-organized or dissolved. I guess its better for these senators to discuss the merits of underage marriages instead of discussing the future of Nigeria.

Each day, Nigeria moves closer to violent destruction.

It is sad to note that you intellectuals in diaspora are only good at criticizing very loudly, providing suggested solutions to our many problems, but you are very poor or even cowardly, when it comes to implementing these solutions

For example, you want Nigeria re-organized or dissolved, but you have no blueprint on how that would be accomplished. You leave the implementation of these solutions at the hands of fellow Nigerians who are your senators, governors, and representatives. These same senators, governors, and representatives who you believe are incompetent and who you vilify for "supporting pedophilia".

I'm sorry to say that you people are part of the problem and enablers to your senators and reps. I venture to say that you are counting on the senators, govs, and reps, who you love to despise to implement your solutions - for that I say a very big shame on you.

So, Katsumoto and the Sam_Ikenna's of the world, I say to you, get your butts down here and implement these changes. Internet warriorship will not accomplish the changes you desire.
Re: Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. by Nobody: 12:37pm On Jul 22, 2013
Yea just like ur useless father! 4rm ur posts its clear u r an slowpoke with lack of love cuz u come from a broken home,ur father is a molester and ur mother a w-h-o-r-e!with ur pastor giving her spiritual bath evry day!
Ugly tin,ORANGUTANG just like the he and she goat that gave birth to u!
ShyM-X:
^^^How many times am I going to tell you to stop quoting me, you hairy chested and sweaty beards having primitive ape from the forest?

Sod off! undecided

Muthaphuck ya pedo catholic priests! undecided
Re: Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. by tpia5: 10:11pm On Jul 22, 2013
The section up for amendment had to do with persons qualified to renounce Nigerian citizenship. The constitution in Section 29 says anyone of age can do so. Section 29(4) (b) says that ” any woman who is married shall be deemed to be of full age.” It means that even a child if married can be seen to be of full age and as such can renounce citizenship. The committee proposed that that provision be deleted.

why was this bill being discussed to begin with?

which person or persons want to renounce their citizenship, and why did the matter have to be debated in senate?

i think there are clear procedures in place for people who want to renounce citizenship, what led to the matter being brought up now?
Re: Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. by tpia5: 10:29pm On Jul 22, 2013
The section up for amendment had to do with persons qualified to renounce Nigerian citizenship. The constitution in Section 29 says anyone of age can do so. Section 29(4) (b) says that ” any woman who is married shall be deemed to be of full age.” It means that even a child if married can be seen to be of full age and as such can renounce citizenship. The committee proposed that that provision be deleted.

When it was put to vote, 2/3 of members present voted for it which meant it was deleted. But, not so fast.

Enter Senator Ahmed Yerima of Zamfara, the controversial former governor of Zamfara who tried to stoke religious sentiments. He said it was against Islamic law. Yerima got married to a teenager a few years ago, and going by the provision, the girl who is still not 18 cannot be said to be of age.

1. The section under discussion was in the constitution long before now, right?

2. Why did nobody notice it before?

3. So, they were voting to remove that particular amendment- may I ask who put it there to begin with?

4. In that case, the senators who voted to allow it to remain, were not doing anything out of the ordinary per se, if that clause had been there prior to that session.

5. I'm not too clear on how the clause applies to Sen Yerima since his bride is not nigerian. Nigeria does not confer fast tracked citizenship by marriage like countries in the west do. It takes a longer time, often decades.
Re: Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. by tpia5: 10:31pm On Jul 22, 2013
requirements for nigerian citizenship applicable to non-nigerians:

7. (1) Subject to the provisions of section 28 of this Constitution, any person who is qualified in accordance with the provisions of this section may apply to the President for the same of a certificate of naturalisation.
(2) No person shall be qualified to apply for the grant of a certificate or naturalisation, unless he satisfies the President that -

(a) he is a person of full age and capacity;

(b) he is a person of good character;

(c) he has shown a clear intention of his desire to be domiciled in Nigeria;

(d) he is, in the opinion of the Governor of the State where he is or he proposes to be resident, acceptable to the local community in which he is to live permanently, and has been assimilated into the way of life of Nigerians in that part of the Federation;

(e) he is a person who has made or is capable of making useful contribution to the advancement; progress and well-being of Nigeria;

(f) he has taken the Oath of Allegiance prescribed in the Seventh Schedule to this Constitution; and

(g) he has, immediately preceding the date of his application, either-

(i) resided in Nigeria for a continuous period of fifteen years; or

(ii) resided in Nigeria continuously for a period of twelve months, and during the period of twenty years immediately preceding that period of twelve months has resided in Nigeria for periods amounting in the aggregate to not less than fifteen years
Re: Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. by tpia5: 10:32pm On Jul 22, 2013
ie via the legal route, not the oluwole one where you just get a passport even if you've never set foot in africa.
Re: Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. by tpia5: 10:34pm On Jul 22, 2013
the clause under discussion:

29. (1) Any citizen of Nigeria of full age who wishes to renounce his Nigerian citizenship shall make a declaration in the prescribed manner for the renunciation.

(2) The President shall cause the declaration made under subsection (1) of this section to be registered and upon such registration, the person who made the declaration shall cease to be a citizen of Nigeria.

(3) The President may withhold the registration of any declaration made under subsection (1) of this section if-
(a) the declaration is made during any war in which Nigeria is physically involved; or
(b) in his opinion, it is otherwise contrary to public policy.

(4) For the purposes of subsection (1) of this section.

(a) "full age" means the age of eighteen years and above;

(b) any woman who is married shall be deemed to be of full age.

who put section 4(b) there?

and how long has it been there?
Re: Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. by tpia5: 10:42pm On Jul 22, 2013
sweet_gala: ^^ I have read valid points from the other legal practitioners and yes there is no immediately obvious link between that particular clause and under age marriage. But it exist a loophole which grants yerima authority and legal shelter. His now 17 year old Egyptian bride is considered an adult(she has been entitled to the rights to vote as every other Nigerian adult since the age of 13)
This loophole would allow paedophiles to buy children and marry them in pervert friendly havens outside Nigeria and bring them to nigeria where they exist as adults.

his bride did not become nigerian through her marriage, unless there's something i'm missing here.

how did the law apply to her?
Re: Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. by tpia5: 10:51pm On Jul 22, 2013
UNDERAGE MARRIAGE WAS LEGALIZED IN NIGERIA PRIOR TO THESE SENATORS VOTING ON IT.

SECTION 29 (4)(b) is part OF THE 1999 CONSTITUTION.

WHO PUT IT THERE, THIS IS 2013 AND PEOPLE DECIDED TO MAKE NOISE OVER A CLAUSE THAT HAS BEEN PRESENT SINCE PRE-1999?

SOMEBODY TRANSLATE FOR ME, THANKS.
Re: Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. by Katsumoto: 11:44pm On Jul 22, 2013
ndu_chucks:

It is sad to note that you intellectuals in diaspora are only good at criticizing very loudly, providing suggested solutions to our many problems, but you are very poor or even cowardly, when it comes to implementing these solutions

For example, you want Nigeria re-organized or dissolved, but you have no blueprint on how that would be accomplished. You leave the implementation of these solutions at the hands of fellow Nigerians who are your senators, governors, and representatives. These same senators, governors, and representatives who you believe are incompetent and who you vilify for "supporting pedophilia".

I'm sorry to say that you people are part of the problem and enablers to your senators and reps. I venture to say that you are counting on the senators, govs, and reps, who you love to despise to implement your solutions - for that I say a very big shame on you.

So, Katsumoto and the Sam_Ikenna's of the world, I say to you, get your butts down here and implement these changes. Internet warriorship will not accomplish the changes you desire.

The suggestion that all Nigerians should return home before there can be progress/change is as ludicrous as suggesting that all Nigerians run for office. In any case, I have no dog in that race. I have very little stake in Nigeria; my concern for Nigeria is simply based on sentiments.

Ndu_chuks, everyone knows that it is not your love for Southern Nigerians that leads you to oppose re-organization or disintegration, it is your love for the black gold.

In any case, the solutions to Nigeria's structure are visible to those who understand the problems.
Re: Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. by nduchucks: 1:32am On Jul 23, 2013
Katsumoto:

The suggestion that all Nigerians should return home before there can be progress/change is as ludicrous as suggesting that all Nigerians run for office.

I agree that the above is ludicrous. Note however, that I never said that ALL Nigerians should do as you stated above. You know very well that I will not allow you to put words into my mouth. You are simply arguing with yourself here.

Ndu_chuks, everyone knows that it is not your love for Southern Nigerians that leads you to oppose re-organization or disintegration, it is your love for the black gold.

Again you are misstating my position to score cheap points. I do not oppose re-organization, in fact I believe we'd be better off if we returned to the regional system. I oppose disintegration because I believe the resulting bloodshed would be too deadly and unacceptable.

I maintain that if you people love your country enough, you should return to build it, instead of leaving the nation building in the hands of the thieving leaders you criticize daily.
Re: Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. by tpia5: 2:32am On Jul 23, 2013
The clause that is really causing this unnecessary hullabaloo is Section 29 (4) (b). That clause has always been part of our laws, but the Senate moved to remove it as infringing on child’s right by making every married woman an adult.

we need to know who originally inserted that clause there.
Re: Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. by kolado(m): 3:10am On Jul 23, 2013
tpia@:

we need to know who originally inserted that clause there.
The clause was inserted before now by the military government in 1999. The Nigerian Constitution is more of a military constitution because it was drafted by them without consultation and awareness of Nigerians. The issue of sec 29(4)(b) is purely based on the religious sentiment whipped up by Sen Yerima because that section is under chapter 3(CITIZENSHIP) of 1999 constitution. Though, importantly enough, lawyers can work up their lawyery logic in court to justify their case if any issue on underage marriage crops up. The Constitution is the supreme law of the lands and lawyers can hide behind this facade to give a stamp of legality to their clients if such matter arises under underage marriage. The Sec 29(4)(b)should be deleted forthwit in that it's superfluous. I'm not in support of underage marriage. Give the girl child sound education not paedophilic education!
Re: Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. by smileyangel: 11:38pm On Aug 13, 2013
Dis is a refined way of supporting child abuse just that in this case the girl-child is d victim..shame on these senators(monsters) wu only want to satisfy their sexual urge

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply)

Children Of Nigerian Politicians Boarding Presidential Plane / Jos Bomb Blasts: Angry Protesters Burn Churches — Police / Spot The Difference Between GEJ And PMB Service Chiefs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.