Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,411 members, 7,836,653 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 10:59 AM

Obasanjo Was A Clueless War Commander —gen Alabi-isama - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obasanjo Was A Clueless War Commander —gen Alabi-isama (21581 Views)

Ribadu Later Realised Obasanjo Was Using Him –soyinka / My Watch: Obasanjo Is An Incredible Liar - Brig-Gen Alabi Isama / Obasanjo Was A Clueless War Commander - Isama Alabi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Obasanjo Was A Clueless War Commander —gen Alabi-isama by Katsumoto: 4:55am On Jul 21, 2013
Tolexander: omo ire bi iyan.

I promise you my grandma for this simple lesson you taught that old cargo.

Abeg keep your grandma. angry

don't you have any beautiful female relatives between the ages of 22 and 26? tongue grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Obasanjo Was A Clueless War Commander —gen Alabi-isama by Nobody: 4:57am On Jul 21, 2013
------------
Re: Obasanjo Was A Clueless War Commander —gen Alabi-isama by dayokanu(m): 5:46am On Jul 21, 2013
So a clueless war commander was what pummeled Ojukwu to Abidjan

I wonder what a "cluefull" war commander would have done to Ojukwu
Re: Obasanjo Was A Clueless War Commander —gen Alabi-isama by Tolexander: 6:21am On Jul 21, 2013
Katsumoto:

Abeg keep your grandma. angry

don't you have any beautiful female relates between the ages of 22 and 26? tongue grin
ah ah katz!

As old as you are, 22-26years? When we nigerians are fighting against the child marriage.
Re: Obasanjo Was A Clueless War Commander —gen Alabi-isama by Katsumoto: 7:08am On Jul 21, 2013
Tolexander: ah ah katz!

As old as you are, 22-26years? When we nigerians are fighting against the child marriage.

Bros when did i tell you my age?
Re: Obasanjo Was A Clueless War Commander —gen Alabi-isama by Nobody: 7:14am On Jul 21, 2013
Katsumoto:

The year was 1954 and France, together with Britain, was still a major colonial power. You could have just used google to check the dates.

North Vietnam was supported by USSR and some other communist countries but it was outmanned by the combined forces of South Vietnam and the US by 4 (apprx 2M) to 1(approx 500k) and in 1967, the US contributed significantly more to South Vietnam in terms of manpower and equipment than the USSR contributed to North Vietnam. The US had over half a million troops while USSR had approximately 3000 troops.

When Ho Chi Minh defeated the French, neighbouring Laos was a French ally, and guess what, Vietnamese supply lines passed through Laos. Did that stop Vietnam losing the war? No it didn't, so you need to stop making these ludicrous excuses. Only those who fail resort to funny excuses - we would have won if the enemy ate less than us, we would have won if martians supported us. It has been over 40 years and many of you still can't, without unnecessary emotions, articulate why Biafra lost the war. Only when lessons are learned, can mistakes of the past be avoided. The same ego that was displayed many years ago that led to a rash of ill-timed and ill-conceived decisions is still very much around (as typified by comments from you and others). War is never about bravery and courage, it is about strategy and careful execution. Bravery and courage is for battles but winning individual battles doesn't necessarily result in winning the war.
Re: Obasanjo Was A Clueless War Commander —gen Alabi-isama by Nobody: 7:16am On Jul 21, 2013
Katsumoto:

The year was 1954 and France, together with Britain, was still a major colonial power. You could have just used google to check the dates.

North Vietnam was supported by USSR and some other communist countries but it was outmanned by the combined forces of South Vietnam and the US by 4 (apprx 2M) to 1(approx 500k) and in 1967, the US contributed significantly more to South Vietnam in terms of manpower and equipment than the USSR contributed to North Vietnam. The US had over half a million troops while USSR had approximately 3000 troops.

When Ho Chi Minh defeated the French, neighbouring Laos was a French ally, and guess what, Vietnamese supply lines passed through Laos. Did that stop Vietnam losing the war? No it didn't, so you need to stop making these ludicrous excuses. Only those who fail resort to funny excuses - we would have won if the enemy ate less than us, we would have won if martians supported us. It has been over 40 years and many of you still can't, without unnecessary emotions, articulate why Biafra lost the war. Only when lessons are learned, can mistakes of the past be avoided. The same ego that was displayed many years ago that led to a rash of ill-timed and ill-conceived decisions is still very much around (as typified by comments from you and others). War is never about bravery and courage, it is about strategy and careful execution. Bravery and courage is for battles but winning individual battles doesn't necessarily result in winning the war.

And u thought that it was Nigeria that exhibited the strategy and careful execution in that war and not those world powers that joined forces to diminish a seemingly great country of Biafra.

If u all had an atom of strategy in your DNAs, y has a non-biafran not made it to the world stage today or even done anything special for Nigeria?
The only strategy ur fathers did was to plunge us back to European colonialism or were u thinking the British helped Nigeria free of charge?

For 43 yrs now, they have controlled much of the oil resources plus ensured that Nigerian policies protect their interests. Giving out stipends and maybe power to some hausas and nothing to adekunle, alabi, and bunch of other spineless fools in d west.

Awolowo felt used after few yrs and killed himself. Having achieved nothing since d war ended.
After 43 yrs, the supposed winners cannot rest but keep blaming themselves every now and then like ppl haunted by Amadioha.

8 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Was A Clueless War Commander —gen Alabi-isama by Tolexander: 7:18am On Jul 21, 2013
Katsumoto:

Bros when did i tell you my age?
flesh and blood hasn't revealed this to me! grin
Re: Obasanjo Was A Clueless War Commander —gen Alabi-isama by Katsumoto: 7:30am On Jul 21, 2013
ngozievergreen:

And u thought that it was Nigeria that exhibited the strategy and careful execution in that war and not those world powers that joined forces to diminish a seemingly great country of Biafra.

If u all had an atom of strategy in your DNAs, y has a non-biafran not made it to the world stage today or even done anything special for Nigeria?
The only strategy ur fathers did was to plunge us back to European colonialism or were u thinking the British helped Nigeria free of charge?

For 43 yrs now, they have controlled much of the oil resources plus ensured that Nigerian policies protect their interests. Giving out stipends and maybe power to some hausas and nothing to adekunle, alabi, and bunch of other spineless fools in d west.

Awolowo felt used after few yrs and killed himself. Having achieved nothing since d war ended.
After 43 yrs, the supposed winners cannot rest but keep blaming themselves every now and then like ppl haunted by Amadioha.

Usual illogical BS from you.
Re: Obasanjo Was A Clueless War Commander —gen Alabi-isama by supereagle(m): 10:23am On Jul 21, 2013
dayokanu: So a clueless war commander was what pummeled Ojukwu to Abidjan

I wonder what a "cluefull" war commander would have done to Ojukwu
You missed the point like Baba OBJ would do.3 commands fought the war on the part of Fed Troops .Gen Shuwa fought from the North,Muritala fought from Asaba end and Black Scorpion fought from Atlantic end.Both Muritala and Black Scorpion were relived because of unethical military practices . Baba was not even going to the battle fronts,he remained in PH till the war ended.
Shuwa and Alabi-Isama

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo Was A Clueless War Commander —gen Alabi-isama by Nobody: 10:24am On Jul 21, 2013
Am I d last commentary,abi commentatoor here?he's on his own,leave my OBJ alone attention seeker.
Re: Obasanjo Was A Clueless War Commander —gen Alabi-isama by koladebrainiac(m): 10:37am On Jul 21, 2013
Napoleondegreat: Not surprised at all for we know of many loop holes on Nigerian side. The only problem the Biafrans had in crushing Nigeria was because the then Western world did'nt want to see a country that will challenge their monopoly in technology market.
You igbo sha like to dey dream Einstein! Rival who? Smh. Lying to yoursef.
Re: Obasanjo Was A Clueless War Commander —gen Alabi-isama by Emperor007: 10:46am On Jul 21, 2013
ngozievergreen:

^^^

Gbam

Re: Obasanjo Was A Clueless War Commander —gen Alabi-isama by supereagle(m): 10:51am On Jul 21, 2013
In the picture: From left, Alabi Isama, Akinrinade, Adekunle, Godwin Ally, and Col. Alimi Ogunkanmi. The picture was taken 6 days before Col Ogunkanmi was shot and became paralyzed. This was the beginning of the 3MCDO story to change ADEKUNLE in 1969. Picture supplied by Brigadier Alabi Isama.
Source:https://www.nairaland.com/1255360/nigeria-history-makers-pictures/4

Re: Obasanjo Was A Clueless War Commander —gen Alabi-isama by Osarieme415(m): 10:51am On Jul 21, 2013
The commanders provide the tactics,their men prosecute it and win the victory the commander claims,massaging his ego...The combatants are heroes...They live and die when they are told to die...Let men hear the truth: Adekunle or Obasanjo didn't chase Ojukwu out of Biafra,the men under them did...They never had to fire a single shot during the period of the conflict...One thing I find disconcerting about these egoistlcal commanders is that they always want to wear the apparel of victory but in the face of a shameful defeat they apportion blame to their men who followed their instruction and took the heat of battle....

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo Was A Clueless War Commander —gen Alabi-isama by Nobody: 10:54am On Jul 21, 2013
Katsumoto:

Usual illogical BS from you.

Lwkmd. Prove me wrong
Re: Obasanjo Was A Clueless War Commander —gen Alabi-isama by Charbless(m): 10:56am On Jul 21, 2013
Capnd143: How does this affect the fact that Nigeria won the civil war and starved the igbos to death?
Bleep Ur tots
Re: Obasanjo Was A Clueless War Commander —gen Alabi-isama by koladebrainiac(m): 11:00am On Jul 21, 2013
the only one that get me laufing is the way he said OBJ was shot in d butt. Was that a joke, sarcasm or actually happened? It looks too funny to be true. Wel d rest na wash. Obj should be Mr. Nigeria he commanded either by proxy or in one ön one. He safe nija united us.

I read somewhere that he also ran away when Muritala coup was carried out. My dad told me some 6yrs ago.my dad served under Obj command. My dad told me obj is a wise cunning and logical person. Means he can kil his son if it wil be an end means to his want. He said Obj plans n schemes al tru but his weakness is that he never forgive.
Re: Obasanjo Was A Clueless War Commander —gen Alabi-isama by ACM10: 11:13am On Jul 21, 2013
Katsumoto:

Seriously I disagree with you. North Vietnamese fighters were made up of crack team of volunteers trained in China, while South Vietnamese military was made up of mostly conscripts. The zeal of a conscript can never match that of a volunteer. This is what makes the difference at the battlefield. Though China lost 50,000 soldier and Soviet Union lost about 1,000 soldiers. They lost them in North Vietnam under heavy bombardment by US B-52 bombers. Chinese troops hardly ventured outside demilitarized zone. North Vietnam did all the fighting. Let me also correct another impression. US was winning the war before the Tet offensive. But they were foot-dragging on invading their arch-enemy's territory of North Vietnam, for the fear of provoking a direct confrontation with the Chinese(Korean war was still fresh on their mind). So they resorted to bombing North Vietnam to oblivion. This only strengthened the resolve of the North Vietnam and their allies to fight to the bitter end. North Vietnam leadership and its people were disillusioned on the course of the war. But Ho Chi Minh managed to convinve them to throw their weight behind Tet offensive. Tet offensive was a military suicide on the part of North Vietnam, but a massive political victory. It convinced the disillusioned US public that they are not winning the war. Every other succeeding event was history.

On lesson learnt fron the Biafran war. Igbos learnt a great lesson from the war. One of them is to be on their own and never to trust their neighbours. Biafrans executed a well-thought out strategy, but Nigeria has superior firepower. But the nationalist zeal of the Biafrans were not extinguished. That's why Biafra is still in the news 40 years after. Many analysts have explained why Biafrans lost. So no one is giving a ludicrous excuse for our loss. The lessons has been learnt and we have moved on. But the agitation for separate country continues.

3 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Was A Clueless War Commander —gen Alabi-isama by Nobody: 11:30am On Jul 21, 2013
to those numbskull saying the three command brigade ain't gat strategies is either you don't know anything about the Nigerian civil war or just trying to make sheer mischief. the strategies deployed and made by those guys are so numerous cause the enemies they are fighting are their colleagues in sandhurst and other military expenditures. so this guys have to up their games in their war strategies by doing serious brain storming and all that which brought about strategies like pincher 1, 2, 3 and the most dreaded scorpion strategy. y'all should get your fact right before coming on a public forum to spew ignorance.
Re: Obasanjo Was A Clueless War Commander —gen Alabi-isama by supereagle(m): 11:40am On Jul 21, 2013
War is not good.Ojukwu led his people a senseless war.

Re: Obasanjo Was A Clueless War Commander —gen Alabi-isama by lertee(f): 11:40am On Jul 21, 2013
Who the hell is Gideon Alabi-Isama,to me he doesn't exist undecided
Re: Obasanjo Was A Clueless War Commander —gen Alabi-isama by thaoriginator: 11:44am On Jul 21, 2013
I don diiiieeee! Shot in the buttocks! Biittch asz Obasanjo running away from the battle field like some sissy!
Re: Obasanjo Was A Clueless War Commander —gen Alabi-isama by Nobody: 11:45am On Jul 21, 2013
I LIKE THE PART WHERE HE SAID
SOME1 BUSTED A CAP UP HIS FAT AZZ

ROTFLMAO

IN OTHER WORDS HE WAS A CHICKEN
NO WONDER I NEVER UNDERSTOOD THE MAN'S SPEECHES
ALL I HEARD WERE CLUCKS
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Obasanjo Was A Clueless War Commander —gen Alabi-isama by Nobody: 11:47am On Jul 21, 2013
Please someone should remove these pictures above....they are not what should be serving us as reminder of the war.
Re: Obasanjo Was A Clueless War Commander —gen Alabi-isama by Nobody: 11:48am On Jul 21, 2013
tha_originator: I don diiiieeee! Shot in the buttocks! Biittch asz Obasanjo running away from the battle field like some sissy!

DARN STRAIGHT HOMES
HE WAS A B!TTCH AZZ NIGGA
RUNNING WITH A CAP UP HIS
FAT BUTT wink
Re: Obasanjo Was A Clueless War Commander —gen Alabi-isama by ACM10: 11:50am On Jul 21, 2013
supereagle: War is not good.Ojukwu led his people a senseless war.

If Ngodigha arrives on this thread and start posting offensive pictures, you will be the first to complain. Next your kinsmen will run to OAMJ and Mukina requesting for a ban. I hope that Yorubas are taking note.

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo Was A Clueless War Commander —gen Alabi-isama by weebay(m): 11:54am On Jul 21, 2013
Actually I met a civil war veteran in Abeokuta once (we were in the same cab) and he was full of praises for OBJ, he said when Adekunle was there morale was very low and they were soo hungry they couldn't even carry their guns..that it was when OBJ came that he brought food along and he said he gave a moving statemen "my brothers let us finish this war and go back home to our wives" (in yoruba).
Re: Obasanjo Was A Clueless War Commander —gen Alabi-isama by sylvok: 12:00pm On Jul 21, 2013
supereagle: A retired Brigadier-General and Chief of Staff, 3rd Marine Commando, during the Nigeria civil war, Godwin Alabi-Isama, has disclosed that former President Olusegun Obasanjo was not only clueless during the war, but acted as a weakling in many instances.
According to General Alabi-Isama, Chief Obasanjo exhibited a lot of weaknesses that did not portray him as a gallant soldier throughout the period he served the army during the war.
In an interview published in the current edition of TheNEWS magazine, our sister publication, the retired General punctured a lot of claims in My Command, a book written by the former President chronicling his experience in the war.
According to him, Obasanjo never wanted to be part of the war. He was so scared of death that he evaded every opportunity to go to the battle front.
He disclosed that retired General Alani Akinrinade picked Obasanjo to lead the troop after Benjamin Adekunle was dropped as the commander following an alleged unethical conduct.
“Gowon was not sure that Obasanjo would want the job of replacing Adekunle because he was an engineer…Gowon said we should contact him.
“When we met Obasanjo, we told him our mission and gave him a comprehensive briefing on the situation at the war front. We went with maps and explained to him the defects of Adekunle’s plan to attack the Igbo heartland.
“We aso told him about Operations Pincer 1, 2 and 3 and explained that if Pincer 2 was adopted, the war would end in 30 days.
“We spoke for three hours without food or drink. Obasanjo simply listened.
“And when he spoke, he said he was an engineer and he was not going to the war front. He also said we wanted to have him killed by nominating him for a spot at the war front,” the retired soldier said, adding that this comment got him angry and that he reacted instantly by reprimanding Obasanjo.
He said he reminded Obasanjo at the venue of their meeting how he and his engineering corps were unable to blow up the bridge in Ore when the Biafran army were advancing to Lagos and how the situation was salvaged by Mr. Akinde of the Public Works Department at Ibadan, assisted by men of the Ministry of Works.
“I was so incensed that I continued to pour venom on him,” he added.
Alabi-Isama said as against Obasanjo’s claim that he ordered the bridge to be blown up, the idea actually came from the wife of then Governor Adeyinka Adebayo. He explained that she was the one who suggested to Obasanjo that the action be carried out.
When Obasanjo eventually took over as the Commander of the 3rd Marine Commando, Alabi-Isama said he and Akinrinade gave him a comprehensive briefing, but that he refused to listen because of the grudge he haboured from his first encounter with Alabi-Isama.
As a result of this, his first battle experience, according to Alabi-Isama, was a disaster.
Emphasising Obasnajo’s cluelessness, he said the first decision he made when he took up the leadership of the troop was to start paying the soldiers on the battle field by allotment.
“He ordered an attack on Ohoba, some 40 kilometres from Owerri, just four days after taking over from Adekunle. He did not even know that we had to plan,” Alabi-Isama explained, adding that Obasanjo lost 1, 400 men in the attack, something that never happened before he took over, because he refused to listen to advice.
In another incident, the retired General said Obasanjo ran away from the scene of an attack claiming he was heading to Port Harcourt, an eight hour journey, to get ammunition for the same battle when he could ordinarily radio the army headquarters.
He described Obasanjo as completely incompetent and inefficient, saying the former President never went to battle even as a commander during the war.
“For instance, he went to inspect Colonel Iluyomade, but when he got there, there was shooting. He quickly got into his jeep and ran away.
“He was shot in the buttocks while running. A general will be shot in the chest, and not in the buttocks,” said the army general, who is set to launch a book titled The Tragedy of Victory: On-The-Spot Account of The Nigeria-Biafra War In The Atlantic Theatre, his own version of the war experience aimed to counter some of the ‘lies’ by Chief Obasanjo.

http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2013/06/20/obasanjo-was-a-clueless-war-commander-gen-alabi-isama/
dat was y obasanjo hated igbos nd could nt allow total reconcilatn. His tenure as civilian presidnt was a disaster for d igbos infrastructural wise.
Re: Obasanjo Was A Clueless War Commander —gen Alabi-isama by Nobody: 12:03pm On Jul 21, 2013
I read the book 'my command' few years ago... As i read through the pages, i knew Obj was just on a venture of self-praise-singing and trumphet blowing. I sabi the....... folks na! Them sabi feeeeeear! BTW i enjoyed the presentation, maps and pictures.
Re: Obasanjo Was A Clueless War Commander —gen Alabi-isama by Nobody: 12:16pm On Jul 21, 2013
after listening to gen. alabi ismah on different occasions. I can deduce that he gat serious beaf with obj due to his unceremonious retirement from the military which was orchestrated by obj through made up accusations.
Re: Obasanjo Was A Clueless War Commander —gen Alabi-isama by size38: 12:21pm On Jul 21, 2013
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah. This man don finish OBJ. So OBJ sabi fear like dis hahahahah. This man wan tell nigerians say all this OBJ gara-gara na for civilians body. Men! For a long time, I never read story wey make me laff like dis one.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Andy Uba And Oduah Back To Senate / Diezani’s Slush Cash: Wike Ordered Me To Collect N700m From Bank – PDP Scribe / 2023: Buratai Meets APC Presidential Candidate, Bola Tinubu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.