Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,172 members, 7,829,187 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 09:11 PM

Obasanjo Was A Clueless War Commander —gen Alabi-isama - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obasanjo Was A Clueless War Commander —gen Alabi-isama (21556 Views)

Ribadu Later Realised Obasanjo Was Using Him –soyinka / My Watch: Obasanjo Is An Incredible Liar - Brig-Gen Alabi Isama / Obasanjo Was A Clueless War Commander - Isama Alabi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Obasanjo Was A Clueless War Commander —gen Alabi-isama by ckkris: 2:44pm On Jul 20, 2013
ngozievergreen:

exactly, if nigeria really won the war, y are they revisiting those war events today?

Nigeria won. Danjuma won a lucrative oil well, Obasanjo won Ota Farms, the Presidency, etc, Abiola won ITT, but MOST battlefield soldiers like Adekunle, Akinrinade and Isama, who saw, felt, and bore the brunt of Biafra, GET NOTHING. Biafran troops fought well, very very well. Example: Corporal Nwafor that captured Nigerian armoured car, died soon after. Morale was very high. Thats why, like ngozievergreen, Biafra lives, even in the hearts of all Nigerians, who are mortally afraid that in the event of any serious instability, NIGERIA WILL NO LONGER RECEIVE THE EUROPEAN SUPPORT that crushed Biafra.

10 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Was A Clueless War Commander —gen Alabi-isama by Nobody: 3:50pm On Jul 20, 2013
I see another e- war brewing.
Re: Obasanjo Was A Clueless War Commander —gen Alabi-isama by T9ksy(m): 4:19pm On Jul 20, 2013
ckkris: Nigeria won. Danjuma won a lucrative oil well, Obasanjo won Ota Farms, the Presidency, etc, Abiola won ITT, but MOST battlefield soldiers like Adekunle, Akinrinade and Isama, who saw, felt, and bore the brunt of Biafra, GET NOTHING. Biafran troops fought well, very very well. Example: Corporal Nwafor that captured Nigerian armoured car, died soon after. Morale was very high. Thats why, like ngozievergreen, Biafra lives, even in the hearts of all Nigerians, who are mortally afraid that in the event of any serious instability, NIGERIA WILL NO LONGER RECEIVE THE EUROPEAN SUPPORT that crushed Biafra.

As of this present time, am a "Nigerian" however Biafra does not live in my heart. In fact, am bored

stiff with all these incessant calls for biafra. If you all want to go, please do.If not,keep mute until that time when

you are fully ready to actualise your dream land.
Re: Obasanjo Was A Clueless War Commander —gen Alabi-isama by DerideGull(m): 5:51pm On Jul 20, 2013
Katsumoto:

Hahahahahaha

Funny Dede1, have you ever seen a war in which all sides were balanced? That is where strategy and execution come in. If your enemy is superior to you and you don't have the nous to defeat him/her, why get into the fight in the first place? Did tiny Vietnam not send the mighty US out of Vietnam? What strategy did Ho Chi Minh execute to win the war?

Ho Chi Minh’s Vietnam did not have any meaningful strategy other than the massive supports both in material and personnel guaranteed by USSR and China. Even tiny and neighboring Thailand and Laos supported Vietnam. Biafra had none of such supports yet fought gallantly.

10 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Was A Clueless War Commander —gen Alabi-isama by DerideGull(m): 6:15pm On Jul 20, 2013
ckkris: Junior? Al was Lt Col, just one rank following the Scorpion who was a Colonel. And in battlefield all the bigness don't count, as everyone must co-operate, not knowing who is about to drop dead, or seriously injured, even without warning.

In any military, even the idiotic 1967 Nigerian Military, junior officer of one rank can not recommend a superior for command position. Obasanjo could only be recommended to Gowon by Obasanjo’s superiors or peers at the military Headquarters (HQ).

Alani Akinrinade and Alabi-Isama, as sector commanders during war, can only recommend juniors officers to GOC of Division for position as brigade commanders.

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo Was A Clueless War Commander —gen Alabi-isama by jaymichael(m): 6:19pm On Jul 20, 2013
On a lighter side, if brave generals get shot in the head, and wise generals get shot in the asss, and get promoted afterwards, truthfully, if na you which one you go choose?

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo Was A Clueless War Commander —gen Alabi-isama by Katsumoto: 6:22pm On Jul 20, 2013
DerideGull:

Ho Chi Minh’s Vietnam did not have any meaningful strategy other than the massive supports both in material and personnel guaranteed by USSR and China. Even tiny and neighboring Thailand and Laos supported Vietnam. Biafra had none of such supports yet fought gallantly.

Hahahahaha

Just as I thought. Dede1 has no clue about military strategy. So which powers supported Vietnam when it defeated France in the French Indochina war that ended in 1954 after the battle of Dien Bien Phu? Vietnam simply out-strategized France.

Let me explain North Vietnam strategy to you. North Vietnam had approximately 500,000 combatants (including Chinese, North Korea, and USSR) while South Vietnam had almost 2 million combatants (including US, Australia, Thailand, New Zealand, Laos, etc). When the war ended in 1975, North Vietnam had lost over 1 million while South Vietnam lost approximately 300,000. These figures do not include civilians. At the start of the war, Ho chi Minh realised that the US public had little appetite for the war with all the anti-war demonstrations and movement. His strategy was simple - don't surrender, send as many US soldiers home in body bags or seriously maimed/wounded.

This strategy meant that many more of his own (North Vietnam) soldiers would die. Some of the battle formations deployed by North Vietnam had no purpose order than to kill American soldiers. With all the hoopla about US deaths in Afghanistan, they have lost less than 3000 lives while the US lost over 60000 lives in Vietnam and over 300,000 wounded. With more bodies arriving, the US congress passed the Case-Church Amendment in 1973 prohibiting US military presence in Vietnam. Saigon fell two years later resulting in the unification of North and South Vietnam.

And Dede1, Thailand supported South Vietnam just like the US.

3 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Was A Clueless War Commander —gen Alabi-isama by Nobody: 6:29pm On Jul 20, 2013
Kats schooling oga dede in war tactics.
Re: Obasanjo Was A Clueless War Commander —gen Alabi-isama by Tolexander: 7:16pm On Jul 20, 2013
ngozievergreen:

exactly, if nigeria really won the war, y are they revisiting those war events today?

That should be the main concern. I thought if sb wins sth, he forgets about it happily. I mean y the frequent war blames that go on these days(by the same side that won?). The other day ,it was Gowon..........

Food for thought
there isn't any food for thought in this you've said.

Winners are meant to boast of their victories while losers are meant to complain.

Who are the people revisiting the war if not the actors and players in the war to tell their experiences and make their roles known.

The same way and reason chinua achebe revisited the war.
Re: Obasanjo Was A Clueless War Commander —gen Alabi-isama by Tolexander: 7:38pm On Jul 20, 2013
Top_Bayo:

That is Dede....his comments have a unique signature that can be easily spotted.
that is 'shut your putrid mouth'.
Re: Obasanjo Was A Clueless War Commander —gen Alabi-isama by Tolexander: 7:47pm On Jul 20, 2013
Katsumoto:

Hahahahaha

Just as I thought. Dede1 has no clue about military strategy. So which powers supported Vietnam when it defeated France in the French Indochina war that ended in 1954 after the battle of Dien Bien Phu? Vietnam simply out-strategized France.

Let me explain North Vietnam strategy to you. North Vietnam had approximately 500,000 combatants (including Chinese, North Korea, and USSR) while South Vietnam had almost 2 million combatants (including US, Australia, Thailand, New Zealand, Laos, etc). When the war ended in 1975, North Vietnam had lost over 1 million while South Vietnam lost approximately 300,000. These figures do not include civilians. At the start of the war, Ho chi Minh realised that the US public had little appetite for the war with all the anti-war demonstrations and movement. His strategy was simple - don't surrender, send as many US soldiers home in body bags or seriously maimed/wounded.

This strategy meant that many more of his own (North Vietnam) soldiers would die. Some of the battle formations deployed by North Vietnam had no purpose order than to kill American soldiers. With all the hoopla about US deaths in Afghanistan, they have lost less than 3000 lives while the US lost over 60000 lives in Vietnam and over 300,000 wounded. With more bodies arriving, the US congress passed the Case-Church Amendment in 1973 prohibiting US military presence in Vietnam. Saigon fell two years later resulting in the unification of North and South Vietnam.

omo ire bi iyan.

I promise you my grandma for this simple lesson you taught that old cargo.
Re: Obasanjo Was A Clueless War Commander —gen Alabi-isama by ckkris: 7:52pm On Jul 20, 2013
jaymichael: On a lighter side, if brave generals get shot in the head, and wise generals get shot in the asss, and get promoted afterwards, truthfully, if na you which one you go choose?
Major Babangida got shot in the foot.
Re: Obasanjo Was A Clueless War Commander —gen Alabi-isama by DerideGull(m): 8:04pm On Jul 20, 2013
Katsumoto:

Hahahahaha

I know you are partly Yoruba so being economical with the simple truth is understandable. Vietnam had been under French before the World War II but it was over run by Japan. When the Japanese pulled out of North Vietnam due to allied forces pressure, the people of Vietnam took the opportunity to establish their own government lead by Ho Chi Minh. However after the war, the victorious allies allowed France to govern South Vietnam while North Vietnam was controlled by the non-communist China. In 1946, France expressed intentions to reclaim North Vietnam but North Vietnamese led by Ho Chi Minh resisted the idea and war broke out between two countries.

The France, supported by western allies including USA, elected to appoint Bao Dai as the leader of Vietnam while Russia, China and Eastern Europe refused to recognize his rule instead supported Ho Chi Minh as leader of Vietnam.

I shall stop here so that you have a chance to rethink your begoted stand because Biafra was not allowed to function as a country without war for a day.

8 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Was A Clueless War Commander —gen Alabi-isama by DerideGull(m): 8:08pm On Jul 20, 2013
Tolexander: omo ire bi iyan.

I promise you my grandma for this simple lesson you taught that old cargo.

A fool at forty is bound to be fool forever. May I ask what lesson you were on about? There is no doubt you and ilk bath in propaganda.

4 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Was A Clueless War Commander —gen Alabi-isama by Nobody: 8:30pm On Jul 20, 2013
DerideGull:

Dede...but on a lighter note, what is the meaning of this your new moniker? Why are you deriding Gull? grin wink cheesy
Re: Obasanjo Was A Clueless War Commander —gen Alabi-isama by DerideGull(m): 8:56pm On Jul 20, 2013
Top_Bayo:

Dede...but on a lighter note, what is the meaning of this your new moniker? Why are you deriding Gull? grin wink cheesy

Do you mean the gulls such as Tolexander?

6 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Was A Clueless War Commander —gen Alabi-isama by Tolexander: 9:06pm On Jul 20, 2013
DerideGull:

A fool at forty is bound to be fool forever. May I ask what lesson you were on about? There is no doubt you and ilk bath in propaganda.
'the fool saying' applies to you dede the old cargo!

Face katz sodomising you and not me.

You gat no hidden place here, we will always fish you out. Dede1, duru1, dedetwo, deridegull and others at large.
Re: Obasanjo Was A Clueless War Commander —gen Alabi-isama by Tolexander: 9:16pm On Jul 20, 2013
DerideGull:

Do you mean the gulls such as Tolexander?
omg! See what the monkey that just hacked into dede's account just posted
Re: Obasanjo Was A Clueless War Commander —gen Alabi-isama by Katsumoto: 9:24pm On Jul 20, 2013
DerideGull:

I know you are partly Yoruba so being economical with the simple truth is understandable. Vietnam had been under French before the World War II but it was over run by Japan. When the Japanese pulled out of North Vietnam due to allied forces pressure, the people of Vietnam took the opportunity to establish their own government lead by Ho Chi Minh. However after the war, the victorious allies allowed France to govern South Vietnam while North Vietnam was controlled by the non-communist China. In 1946, France expressed intentions to reclaim North Vietnam but North Vietnamese led by Ho Chi Minh resisted the idea and war broke out between two countries.

The France, supported by western allies including USA, elected to appoint Bao Dai as the leader of Vietnam while Russia, China and Eastern Europe refused to recognize his rule instead supported Ho Chi Minh as leader of Vietnam.

I shall stop here so that you have a chance to rethink your begoted stand because Biafra was not allowed to function as a country without war for a day.

So its no longer because Nigeria had USSR in its corner, its now because Biafra wasn't already a nation. So all the nations such as the US and latin American countries that won independence through war were also independent established countries? Lmao

You stated vietnam had no strategy yet Vietnam overcame two world powers (US & France) in wars and you believe it had no strategy. I have already given you the strategy in defeating the US; do you want me to educate you on the strategy used against France?

I will address the rest of uour post later, let me enjoy my bbq.
Re: Obasanjo Was A Clueless War Commander —gen Alabi-isama by ACM10: 9:43pm On Jul 20, 2013
Katsumoto:

Hahahahahaha

Funny Dede1, have you ever seen a war in which all sides were balanced? That is where strategy and execution come in. If your enemy is superior to you and you don't have the nous to defeat him/her, why get into the fight in the first place? Did tiny Vietnam not send the mighty US out of Vietnam? What strategy did Ho Chi Minh execute to win the war?

Spain vs Britain

France vs Britain

Roman empire vs Parthian empire

Ethiopia vs Eriteria

South Africa vs Cuba(Angolan war)

North Sudan vs South Sudan

Northern Ivory Coast vs Southern Ivory Coast

North Korea vs South Korea

etc, etc

4 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Was A Clueless War Commander —gen Alabi-isama by DerideGull(m): 9:54pm On Jul 20, 2013
Tolexander: 'the fool saying' applies to you dede the old cargo!

Face katz sodomising you and not me.

You gat no hidden place here, we will always fish you out. Dede1, duru1, dedetwo, deridegull and others at large.

Keep fooling around with Dede1’s moniker until he catches you on the childish truancy, olodo.

4 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Was A Clueless War Commander —gen Alabi-isama by ACM10: 9:56pm On Jul 20, 2013
DerideGull:

You are right. China is wary of US presence near it's border. So they resisted US occupation with their massive support of HO Chi Minh. Chinese engineers and volunteers took up all public works in North Vietnam, thereby freeing its citizen to go to South to support the effort of Viet Congs. Likewise, USSR is not ready to stomach any talk of US success in Vietnam. So they sent their latest military hardwares there.

4 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Was A Clueless War Commander —gen Alabi-isama by DerideGull(m): 10:06pm On Jul 20, 2013
Katsumoto:

So its no longer because Nigeria had USSR in its corner, its now because Biafra wasn't already a nation. So all the nations such as the US and latin American countries that won independence through war were also independent established countries? Lmao

You stated vietnam had no strategy yet Vietnam overcame two world powers (US & France) in wars and you believe it had no strategy. I have already given you the strategy in defeating the US; do you want me to educate you on the strategy used against France?

I will address the rest of uour post later, let me enjoy my bbq.

I guess you get fancied by telling fabricated crap. The year was 1946 and France could have ceased to exist if not for USA and Britain yet you get amused to call France world power. Any goon can indulge in art of guerrilla warfare but what matter is the sustainability of such strategy.

North Vietnam was supported by countries capable of derailing anything the USA and its allies threw at North Vietnam. North Vietnam received the latest weaponries in Russian, East European and Chinese
armories.

If ordinary Cameroon was in support of Biafra, the outcome of the war would have been different regardless the numerical strength of Nigeria and the support it received from Britain and USSR.
Re: Obasanjo Was A Clueless War Commander —gen Alabi-isama by ACM10: 10:06pm On Jul 20, 2013
Katsumoto:

Hahahahaha

You are also right. Your comment is simply US explanation of North Vietnam's strategy. Remember that Ho Chi Minh did not live to see North Vietnam emerge victorious. The missing ingredients in your explanation which US fails to admit is the "nationalistic zeal" of Vietnamese. Vietnamese are proud of their civilization and they abhors foreign occupiers(They also fought a brief war to expel Chinese after they expelled US, France and their allies). Ho Chi Minh and North Vietnam were driven by the nationalistic zeal to expel foreign troops from their territory and re-unite their country. They were prepared to pay the ultimate price to achieve their goal. Today, US and Vietnam are working together to checkmate Chinese expansionism. This shows how Vietnam hate expansion into their territory.

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo Was A Clueless War Commander —gen Alabi-isama by supereagle(m): 10:20pm On Jul 20, 2013
mascot87: Either baba is clueless or not,coward or not that doesnt matter now but what matters is that baba is alive, strong, well and had a record of d first military civilian democratically elected president of Nigeria.Baba is alive to tell his story and now enjoying himself everywhere he goes. What has this Alabi achieved as a general and who knows him self? Can he step into where obj step both locally and internationally? Bad belle man seeking media attention.We no sabi u abeg go sit down somewhere. Them just dey beef obj cos he is more successful than them mtwwww
Baba cut his Military carrier short.Be informed , he was Chief Of Staff of 3marine Commando during the war and after the war,they put in charge of Army Training and Doctrine , he laid the foundation for many soldiers to trained in the University anywhere in the world.
Re: Obasanjo Was A Clueless War Commander —gen Alabi-isama by supereagle(m): 10:28pm On Jul 20, 2013
DerideGull: Granted that Obasanjo and loudmouthed punk called Adekunle were not soldiers of tactical repute, Gideon Alabi-Isama is a deceitful attention seeker. I wonder why anybody who has donned khaki as uniform is yet to call the goon to order. How could a junior and field commander such as Alani Akinrinade, transplant of 3MCDO, pick his GOC?
o
Alani Akinriande first pointed it out when Baba wrote his book," My command "
Re: Obasanjo Was A Clueless War Commander —gen Alabi-isama by Nobody: 10:40pm On Jul 20, 2013
Tolexander: there isn't any food for thought in this you've said.

Winners are meant to boast of their victories while losers are meant to complain.

Who are the people revisiting the war if not the actors and players in the war to tell their experiences and make their roles known.

Dat didnt ansa d question(not that i expect a simpleton to be able to answe it well).
Obviously, dis guy did
ckkris: Nigeria won. Danjuma won a lucrative oil well, Obasanjo won Ota Farms, the Presidency, etc, Abiola won ITT, but MOST battlefield soldiers like Adekunle, Akinrinade and Isama, who saw, felt, and bore the brunt of Biafra, GET NOTHING. Biafran troops fought well, very very well. Example: Corporal Nwafor that captured Nigerian armoured car, died soon after. Morale was very high. Thats why, like ngozievergreen, Biafra lives, even in the hearts of all Nigerians, who are mortally afraid that in the event of any serious instability, NIGERIA WILL NO LONGER RECEIVE THE EUROPEAN SUPPORT that crushed Biafra.
Tolexander: there isn't any food for thought in this you've said.

Dat didnt ansa d question(not that i expect a simpleton to be able to answer it well).
Obviously, They are not discussing that war in a victorious manner, recently.
Re: Obasanjo Was A Clueless War Commander —gen Alabi-isama by Nobody: 10:51pm On Jul 20, 2013
Ola Johnson: Olusegun Obasanjo is called clueless, and you see nothing wrong in it. You even joined in calling him clueless. If GEJ is called clueless or retardeen some of you would stop at nothing in defending. How clueless you are. Yes, you, you know yourself.
The fact remains that Nigeria won the war and Ojukwu escaped.
Moderators, watch this thread, if anybody drags it like that of Benjamin Adekunle to tribalism, we will speak out.

u will speak out and do what? Beg the mods to ban me again? Nonsense.

Whats the 411 on that Odekunle sef? I still cant bliv sb can be that used and dumped . Impoverished is a small word to describe his after-war life, while his northern masters enjoy themselves.

My dear, lets talk abt life after d war of all d players, n not d war. Odekunle got d worst

2 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Was A Clueless War Commander —gen Alabi-isama by Nobody: 10:56pm On Jul 20, 2013
Ojiofor:

Atleast he didn't wait until OBJ die before opening up unlike the other man.

u mean the way soyinka waited for Achebe to die before he could cry about Achebe Being the father of modern african literature?

4 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Was A Clueless War Commander —gen Alabi-isama by Tolexander: 12:10am On Jul 21, 2013
DerideGull:

Keep fooling around with Dede1’s moniker until he catches you on the childish truancy, olodo.
no need of acting bro!

Nobody is reporting your new monicker to the moderators.
Feel free and secured.
Re: Obasanjo Was A Clueless War Commander —gen Alabi-isama by Katsumoto: 4:49am On Jul 21, 2013
DerideGull:

I guess you get fancied by telling fabricated crap. The year was 1946 and France could have ceased to exist if not for USA and Britain yet you get amused to call France world power. Any goon can indulge in art of guerrilla warfare but what matter is the sustainability of such strategy.

North Vietnam was supported by countries capable of derailing anything the USA and its allies threw at North Vietnam. North Vietnam received the latest weaponries in Russian, East European and Chinese
armories.

If ordinary Cameroon was in support of Biafra, the outcome of the war would have been different regardless the numerical strength of Nigeria and the support it received from Britain and USSR.

The year was 1954 and France, together with Britain, was still a major colonial power. You could have just used google to check the dates.

North Vietnam was supported by USSR and some other communist countries but it was outmanned by the combined forces of South Vietnam and the US by 4 (apprx 2M) to 1(approx 500k) and in 1967, the US contributed significantly more to South Vietnam in terms of manpower and equipment than the USSR contributed to North Vietnam. The US had over half a million troops while USSR had approximately 3000 troops.

When Ho Chi Minh defeated the French, neighbouring Laos was a French ally, and guess what, Vietnamese supply lines passed through Laos. Did that stop Vietnam losing the war? No it didn't, so you need to stop making these ludicrous excuses. Only those who fail resort to funny excuses - we would have won if the enemy ate less than us, we would have won if martians supported us. It has been over 40 years and many of you still can't, without unnecessary emotions, articulate why Biafra lost the war. Only when lessons are learned, can mistakes of the past be avoided. The same ego that was displayed many years ago that led to a rash of ill-timed and ill-conceived decisions is still very much around (as typified by comments from you and others). War is never about bravery and courage, it is about strategy and careful execution. Bravery and courage is for battles but winning individual battles doesn't necessarily result in winning the war.

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo Was A Clueless War Commander —gen Alabi-isama by Katsumoto: 4:53am On Jul 21, 2013
ACM10:

You are also right. Your comment is simply US explanation of North Vietnam's strategy. Remember that Ho Chi Minh did not live to see North Vietnam emerge victorious. The missing ingredients in your explanation which US fails to admit is the "nationalistic zeal" of Vietnamese. Vietnamese are proud of their civilization and they abhors foreign occupiers(They also fought a brief war to expel Chinese after they expelled US, France and their allies). Ho Chi Minh and North Vietnam were driven by the nationalistic zeal to expel foreign troops from their territory and re-unite their country. They were prepared to pay the ultimate price to achieve their goal. Today, US and Vietnam are working together to checkmate Chinese expansionism. This shows how Vietnam hate expansion into their territory.

That is true, without that zeal, many would not have laid down their lives in what seemed like a lost cause.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

#bringbackourgirls Receives Christos Stylianides, EU Commissioner (photos) / I Will Speak On Recovered Loot On May 29 – Buhari / Aisha Buhari Visits Oba Akiolu Of Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.