Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,272 members, 7,954,066 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 11:49 AM

Say No To Child Marriage - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Say No To Child Marriage (15343 Views)

This Diwali, Avoid Crackers, Say No To Pollution / The Need To Say NO TO CULTISM / Pains Of Girl-child Marriage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Say No To Child Marriage by Nobody: 4:04pm On Jul 20, 2013
Egba girl:

So because there is a lack of efficiency in the justice system, I should sit back and watch people amend the constitution to negatively affect females? I should let that become a law Do you know how heavy this is? Abeg no vex me o

Don't get mad at me, hun - gatts luv for you lol.

Can you please enlighten me on how "heavy" it is?

I honestly don't think it's going to affect those who don't believe in the practise, ot is it?
Re: Say No To Child Marriage by Billygee2u: 4:05pm On Jul 20, 2013
Child marriage is the reason the notherners are fighting to hold elected posts.Nothern politicians are nothing but bunch of fools who never believe that they are worthless fellows, even, with all the money they have looted, they have no single esteem and regards in Nigeria and here in abroad.BIG SHAME ON THE NOTHERN POLITICIANS
Re: Say No To Child Marriage by xynerise: 4:06pm On Jul 20, 2013
Child Marriage=>Rap.e

Legalizing Rap.e is preposterous. Its is evil

Most of these paedophiles that supported it are bloody ritualist.

#TeamSayNoToChildMarriage. angry

3 Likes

Re: Say No To Child Marriage by Egbagirl(f): 4:06pm On Jul 20, 2013
shymexx:

You know what, in my journey on this planet, I've learned that it's better to coexist with people than try to tell them the difference between good and bad, when it comes to values, morals, and culture. We're all different people and what works for you might not work for the next person.

Take a look at sub-Saharan Africa and MENA(middle east and north Africa) and tell me why those two places are the backwater of the planet. If you can discern why those places are the way they're - then you will understand my POV.

Smh still. Yea we have to be sensitive to cultures. I know all of this stuff. Cultural imperialism is wrong BUT pain is pain and it is universal and it transcends culture. For example, the issue of female circumcision, you can argue for it in so many way but when it becomes an issue of forcing young girls against their will and in the process, some of them die then I have a problem with it. If as a grown person after understanding the whole process, I choose to go ahead and do it, fine! But a six year old being forced to undergo that gruesome process? In an unhealthy environment? Come on! And facing the possibility of death? And even worse will probably be married off in a few weeks after that? And you come and talk about cultural sensitivity. My guy, make I no talk too much.

You don't seem to understand what these girls go through. Smh.

1 Like

Re: Say No To Child Marriage by yemi2plus(m): 4:07pm On Jul 20, 2013
I can't express how happy i am seeing this thread on the front page, i hope more thread from this section hit the front page

2 Likes

Re: Say No To Child Marriage by Egbagirl(f): 4:08pm On Jul 20, 2013
shymexx:

Don't get mad at me, hun - gatts luv for you lol.

Can you please enlighten me on how "heavy" it is?

I honestly don't think it's going to affect those who don't believe in the practise, ot is it?

We are talking about a whole country here! Not a part of it. Every single girl in Nigeria is at risk because of this. Go and read for yourself Biko after all you like to read no?
Re: Say No To Child Marriage by victorazy(m): 4:08pm On Jul 20, 2013
Plz Alhaji

1 Like

Re: Say No To Child Marriage by beezman(m): 4:09pm On Jul 20, 2013
I think it's time we all act against these evil men calling themselves leaders,but the fact is like Fela said my people too fear.whats the basis of living when u can't feel alive,our funny senators leave the issue of corruption and under development to talk about same sex marriages and child marriage.yet the same people vote billions for naptip,what are they fighting? And who are they deceiving. God help is all,because I know that whatever has a beginning surely has an end.our youths are now occupied on how to get rich quick,hahahaha.

1 Like

Re: Say No To Child Marriage by deols(f): 4:10pm On Jul 20, 2013
NOt having child marriage would be really good.

But this matter goes beyond simply saying No.

What do you have for them in exchange for it? How do you change the thought that you are trying to change their social order.

It is not the marriage per se but what goes on in it.

People need to stop being overly emotional.
Is it the sex, the maturity, the education they'll be missing?

Dealing with the relevant issues rather than religious/tribal bigotry will go a long way.

#justsaying. I didnt read the OP.
Re: Say No To Child Marriage by naija2(f): 4:10pm On Jul 20, 2013
autumn.flower:
Why are you guys taking panadol for other people headache??

Why is NL poisoning the mind of people, indirectly?? Abi its all part of traffic?

People die everyday of hunger, theres corruption to the worst level, no electricity, very bad roads, health care is terrible.. This are things that affect the common man daily but we dont care to fight that, its something that does not concern you and have no effect on your lives that your killing yourselves over.

Can u pls read ur contribution again and see if it makes any sense to you. Are we suppose to stand and watch children who are not old enough to make dicisions for themselves,have sex education,know what life is really about and who still believes everything their mothers says because they don't have a matured sense of their own to move from childhood to adulthood just like that?, when they are supposed to still laugh and play with their mates. Yes, we know we have a lot to fight for, we have a lot of things we are lacking, but if we don't stand and fight for the young generation, den wat are we to live for. For who are we gonna fight the fight of good roads and constant electricity for. Isn't it for them? If u don't fight for them then for who are you to fight for. They are not old enough to fight and they have us to fight for them to make their voices heard. So, don't just sit down there and type rrubbish thinking you are making much sense.thank you
Re: Say No To Child Marriage by AkinropoIlori: 4:10pm On Jul 20, 2013
After reading this touching story, i could not imagine this happening. I signup to say.... No to child marriage, no to freedom in boundage, no to freedom in captive. Its inhuman, its disgusting, its nasty, its sordid, call it any names. Whichsoever religious that is an advocate of this act should known its an abuse of a child right, its a slap on human nature expecially in this 21st century era. Nigerians should come out in one voice to say no to child marriage. Legalizing this is even worst more than legalizing same sex my candid opinion.
Re: Say No To Child Marriage by Nobody: 4:15pm On Jul 20, 2013
Egba girl:
Smh still. Yea we have to be sensitive to cultures. I know all of this stuff. Cultural imperialism is wrong BUT pain is pain and it is universal and it transcends culture. For example, the issue of female circumcision, you can argue for it in so many way but when it becomes an issue of forcing young girls against their will and in the process, some of them die then I have a problem with it. If as a grown person after understanding the whole process, I choose to go ahead and do it, fine! But a six year old being forced to undergo that gruesome process? In an unhealthy environment? Come on! And facing the possibility of death? And even worse will probably be married off in a few weeks after that? And you come and talk about cultural sensitivity. My guy, make I no talk too much.

Sis, I can also draw parallels with arranged marriages; royal marriages and the in.cest involved in such practices; and child labour (which is a norm in Nigeria).

I'm not a fan of forcing people to do something against their will - especially when it comes to children. However with life evolution happens in stages and you have to let the people involved evolve by themselves, and not try to force them to do it instantaneously. And if you want them to change, it has to be a gradual process - preferably through education.

That being said, y'all want a change. However how many of you can effect it? How about if the women who are victims of this practice prefer the status quo, then what?
Re: Say No To Child Marriage by zwalnanmak(m): 4:16pm On Jul 20, 2013
autumn.flower:
Why are you guys taking panadol for other people headache??

Why is NL poisoning the mind of people, indirectly?? Abi its all part of traffic?

People die everyday of hunger, theres corruption to the worst level, no electricity, very bad roads, health care is terrible.. This are things that affect the common man daily but we dont care to fight that, its something that does not concern you and have no effect on your lives that your killing yourselves over.
U sound LIKE a dissapointment to your generation
Re: Say No To Child Marriage by mcfynest(m): 4:19pm On Jul 20, 2013
Give her a Pen, not a PENIS! Ask for her BOOKs not BOOBS! Pay her SCHOOL FEES not BRIDE PRICE.. Education not Ejaculation.

1 Like

Re: Say No To Child Marriage by meetvic: 4:20pm On Jul 20, 2013
tThe Signs of the last days
Re: Say No To Child Marriage by Nobody: 4:21pm On Jul 20, 2013
The beautiful ones yet to be born in our childhood days are here let's protect their future from their fathers father.

1 Like

Re: Say No To Child Marriage by olu070706(m): 4:22pm On Jul 20, 2013
muami: By Ayo Turton
The social media - Twitter, Facebook, different yahoogroups and what-have-you are all buzzing, my in-boxes on all my email accounts have been busy, text messages have not been spared, it has gone spiral that the Nigerian Senate has passed a law that made it right to sexually abuse our minors through forced and premature marriages. Some say the law relating to marriageable age in our Constitution has been removed. Petitions are flying right, left and center to the United Nations, Human Rights organizations across the world and anyone that may care to listen, all requiring me to sign in on the petitions, when I could not ignore the deafening intrusions again and when the name of that guy that bought a baby girl from Egypt for a wife (I mean he is old enough to be her ancestor) keep popping up in all the messages, I decided to get off my butt and get involved and informed.

But then it took me just a few phone calls and a quick check on the content of our Constitution to discover that it is just a storm in a tea cup. It turned out that what happened on the floor of the Senate has absolutely nothing to do with a child’s right or marriageable age.

Now what really happened; a Senate Committee made recommendations for the amendment of Sections 26 and 29 of the Constitution that dealt with Citizenship and Renunciation of Citizenship respectively.

Section 26 of the 1999 Constitution states as follows:

26. (1) Subject to the provisions of section 28 of this Constitution, a person to whom the provisions of this section apply may be registered as a citizen of Nigeria, if the President is satisfied that -
(a) he is a person of good character;
(b) he has shown a clear intention of his desire to be domiciled in Nigeria; and
(c) he has taken the Oath of Allegiance prescribed in the Seventh Schedule to this Constitution.
(2) the provisions of this section shall apply to-
(a) any woman who is or has been married to a citizen of Nigeria; or
(b) every person of full age and capacity born outside Nigeria any of whose grandparents is a citizen of Nigeria.

For gender balance, the word “woman” @ section 26 (2) (a) was recommended for removal to cover “men” as well, the amendment passed without an incident.

It was recommended that Section 29 (4) (b) of the Constitution be removed as infringing the right of a child because it purportedly remove the maturity age for a child to marry, I do not think so.

Here is what Section 29 of the Constitution says:
(1) Any citizen of Nigeria of full age who wishes to renounce his Nigerian citizenship shall make a declaration in the prescribed manner for the renunciation.

(2) The President shall cause the declaration made under subsection (1) of this section to be registered and upon such registration, the person who made the declaration shall cease to be a citizen of Nigeria.

(3) The President may withhold the registration of any declaration made under subsection (1) of this section if-
(a) the declaration is made during any war in which Nigeria is physically involved; or
(b) in his opinion, it is otherwise contrary to public policy.
(4) For the purposes of subsection (1) of this section.
(a) "full age" means the age of eighteen years and above;
(b) any woman who is married shall be deemed to be of full age.

The clause that is really causing this unnecessary hullabaloo is Section 29 (4) (b). That clause has always been part of our laws, but the Senate moved to remove it as infringing on child's right by making every married woman an adult. At the taking of the vote for the first time, they got two-third to remove it from the Constitution. But Yerima stood up and whipped up religious sentiment by galvanizing his Muslim brothers who ignorantly believed him into action. When the peace was threatened, David Mark, the Senate President capitulates and asked that the vote be taken again, at this point they were no longer able to garner two-third votes to remove the provision from the Constitution, so it remains.

Now to the legal issue:

Section 29 (4) CLEARLY states: "for the purposes of subsection 1"

Section 29 subsection (1) CLEARLY states: "Any citizen of Nigeria of full age WHO WISHES TO RENOUNCE HIS NIGERIAN CITIZENSHIP (emphasis mine) shall make a declaration in the prescribed manner for the renunciation".

This is called "narrow definition” Subsection (1) narrowly defined under what circumstances the definitions stated at clauses (a) and (b) would be applicable.

Therefore clauses (a) and (b) of section 29 (4) are only relevant to "renunciation of citizenship" alone.

What made this clearer and should leave no one in doubt is the fact that clause 29 (4) (a) re-emphasized that “full age” shall be 18, but if you are already married, for the purposes of renunciation of citizenship you shall be automatically qualified to do so even if you are not 18 yet. Because you are deemed of "full age" for renunciation reason based on the unambiguous definition given by subsection 29 (1) In any case S. 29 (4) (b) is referring to someone already married not about-to-marry.

As a matter of fact, if you ask me, the Constitution as it is, threatens Yerima status than support it. He is married to a baby-girl from Egypt. If that girl suddenly realizes that she has been forced into a marriage with a man old enough to be her ancestor, she can independently renounce her citizenship and take the next train to Egypt.

But then, we should seize on this opportunity to pressurize our Senators to make express laws against child’s marriage and abuses. The statistics with regards to cases of Vesico-Vagina Fistula (VVF) in the part of the country where childhood marriage is practiced is not encouraging at all. Let us properly redirect our anger to achieve the desired result, because it is apparent that even the Senate is lost on this, if they think that removing S.29 (4) (b) would take care of a child’s right, they have got another think coming, they need to consult their lawyers more.
That section is more useful for a foreign child that has been forced into a marriage than it can benefit anybody when removed."

I AM MUAMI and I approve this message!

What a wonderful analysis you have made here, but on a second look, the Marriage Act puts the age of marriage at 18, so if someone who is already married before 18 is recognised by the constitution, this indirectly means that you can marry someone below the age of 18 even if that section of the constitution is talking about naturalization. So look at it from this perspective.
Re: Say No To Child Marriage by Nobody: 4:22pm On Jul 20, 2013
Egba girl:
We are talking about a whole country here! Not a part of it. Every single girl in Nigeria is at risk because of this. Go and read for yourself Biko after all you like to read no?

Is Nigeria not also part of the OIC? However are all Nigerians muslims?

Northern Nigeria is also part of Nigeria and if they wan to pass any law that affects them only, obviously it has to be done thorugh Nigerian senate. However that doesn't mean those who don't believe in the law have to get involved as well.

This is more reason why the country has to be restructured and definitely a lesson for people like you, who're pro one-Nigeria fanatics lool.
Re: Say No To Child Marriage by Ajibel(m): 4:24pm On Jul 20, 2013
I'm a muslim. And even if my religion supports, i would never support child marriage

1 Like

Re: Say No To Child Marriage by christ4mi(f): 4:27pm On Jul 20, 2013
The Protest will yield any result, Already is has divided the country into two. No any Northern will protest. Making it easy for them to tag it as a christian protest or Anti-Islamic protest. By saying this even when a Northern knows about the harm, he will not partake in protest, fear of being tag "Partying with th Infidels"

1 Like

Re: Say No To Child Marriage by Nobody: 4:32pm On Jul 20, 2013
Please guys, let's do ALL we can!
My feelings since I heard this news is completely inexplicable.
This is the time when Patience Jonathan should be reacting. Fighting for female rights is her main responsibility especially for these young children who cannot speak for themselves.
These girls need us. This could have been me, it could have been you, it could have been your sister. What if you grew up knowing your mother was subjected to such and still being treated in such an unacceptable way? I didn't choose where I was born, I didn't choose my parents.. None of us did..
PLEASE LET'S STAND UP FOR THESE GIRLS!
Re: Say No To Child Marriage by deols(f): 4:34pm On Jul 20, 2013
Egba girl:

I agree with what shymmex said concerning cultures.
There is a very big problem with People thinking their own way is the best and that is how I have a problem with those claiming the higher moral ground on this issue.

When female genital mutilation was outlawed in Kenya, girls who thought the law was against their typical ceremony of right of passage went into bushes and CUT THEMSELVES. The girls you are fighting for may turn against you if the best way to it is to shout them down, call them names and call their culture/religion bad.

From experience, I know that Nigerians will make this a big issue only at this moment. What about the long term? How about other teenagers, not married to old/young men but pregnant with children? Shouldn't we be generally looking to protect all girls of all cultures?

The issue has to be given a holistic approach. Cultural and religious differences have to be understood.

Laws that benefit people of all divides can then be promulgated.
Re: Say No To Child Marriage by mkpakana1: 4:34pm On Jul 20, 2013
I say no to child marriage n abuse,may God help us
Re: Say No To Child Marriage by Tobetoe(m): 4:37pm On Jul 20, 2013
Nice write up,.but wat's dis shit ,such evil to happen dis modern age,even ma granny married at age 20 to her suitor 24 back then in 1920..let them (senate) give out dia 10yr old daughter out to marriage... And nw i think a losing it,maybe i shud go tell d Americans to close dis bleeped up country wit atomic bomb ,cos am damn tired..bunch of uncultured elements calling themselves excutives,.. I strongly oppose d evil of child marriage
Re: Say No To Child Marriage by Nobody: 4:38pm On Jul 20, 2013
Northerners aren't complaining, only Southerners are crying wolf about what has nothing to do with them.

Go fight corruption and the dolts ruling the country and leave these people alone.

I just hope they don't turn it into a religious war when you lot start protesting for them, and start chopping off the heads and limbs of your kins up North.

One-Nigeria is a myth. You lot need to accept that and look for ways to either divide the country, or restructure it.
Re: Say No To Child Marriage by Azubreezy(m): 4:43pm On Jul 20, 2013
shymexx: Personally, I don't think marriage is the problem per se. I believe the problem is the Nigerian judiciary and police force's failure in ensuring that everyone has to be at the legal age (as declared in the Nigerian law/constitution)
to have sex with an adult. Anything outside that should be considered as statutory rape. Consensual or not, in civilised countries, you will get jailed for having sex with a minor. The system doesn't care if the girl allowed it, or not - or if you're married to the girl or not (wherever you got married to her) - you're not allowed to have sex with a minor as an adult. That's what Nigeria should also do.

You lot can cry all day and night; and make it illegal - but that won't stop these people from practising their culture. Their culture is their in-born consciousness. You need to hold your institutions responsible for not protecting children in that country. And not just girls, boys as well.
Given, Customs or Culture are sources of law. But before a Custom or usage can become a rule of law, it must go through what is known as the "Validity Test".Thus, a customary practice which is repugnant to natural justice, equity or good conscience, or which offends against public policy, cannot be given the status of law. Underage marriage does not pass the above tests. There is no right way of doing the wrong thing but those camel phuckerz in the senate wouldn't know about good conscience.
Re: Say No To Child Marriage by deziluv: 4:48pm On Jul 20, 2013
After this Im sure the next thing they are going to do is LEGALIZE RAPE, ABORTION AND MURDER IN NIGERIA. but u don't need to panic its the sing of End time
Re: Say No To Child Marriage by Miraclebaby1109: 4:49pm On Jul 20, 2013
Very touching, the government should better do something about child's marriage, really bad
Re: Say No To Child Marriage by Egbagirl(f): 4:51pm On Jul 20, 2013
deols:

I agree with what shymmex said concerning cultures.
There is a very big problem with People thinking their own way is the best and that is how I have a problem with those claiming the higher moral ground on this issue.

When female genital mutilation was outlawed in Kenya, girls who thought the law was against their typical ceremony of right of passage went into bushes and CUT THEMSELVES. The girls you are fighting for may turn against you if the best way to it is to shout them down, call them names and call their culture/religion bad.

From experience, I know that Nigerians will make this a big issue only at this moment. What about the long term? How about other teenagers, not married to old/young men but pregnant with children? Shouldn't we be generally looking to protect all girls of all cultures?

The issue has to be given a holistic approach. Cultural and religious differences have to be understood.

Laws that benefit people of all divides can then be promulgated.

Erm no one is talking about calling them names or any if that sort. Secondly there will always be people who are okay with it. Just like circumcision, some girls will be okay with it because that is what they have been made to believe. In all of this, I did not condemn any religion did I? I am only talking about rights here as humans, women and children. As a UN member state, you know what the universal declaration if human rights is and if you have adopted it into your constitution, then I don't see why these issues should be coming up. Unless you reject it.

Cultural and religious differences need to be understood huh? So the killing of twins as a cultural practice would be okay because it's their culture yea?
Re: Say No To Child Marriage by Petraman(m): 4:52pm On Jul 20, 2013
Tears rolled down my eyes as I read thru d lines of dis write up. Imagine a girl f 11 yrs being paedophilia by a foolish,rotten,beastly old man.Dis must be stopped in dis country.Let's kick against paedophile in nigeria. KICK AGAINST PAEDOPHILE! KAP!
Re: Say No To Child Marriage by Afroconnect: 4:52pm On Jul 20, 2013
It is a shame that we are tolerating gluttons,cultists,dumb myopic minds and perverts to hold positions of authority.
Why do we stand and watch while these fools we call legislators torment us,instead of them to seek ways to better the life of children,they further destroy their lives to satisfy their evil cravings.
Am disgusted by those barbarians.
Re: Say No To Child Marriage by efe2000: 4:56pm On Jul 20, 2013
I SAY NO TO CHILD MARRIAGE, CHILD PREGNANCY AND CHILD EXPLOITATION AND MOLESTATION......OMG...ASHAME TO BE CALLED A NIGERIAN.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

The Other Side Written By Onyeneke Abel / Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 84th Birthday Today / Chimamanda Adichie Receives The 'Prism Of Reason' Award In Germany (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.