Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,143 members, 7,842,286 topics. Date: Tuesday, 28 May 2024 at 04:35 AM

Soyinka: The Mad Old Professor (MOP) - Politics (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Soyinka: The Mad Old Professor (MOP) (40397 Views)

Air Bombardment Continues As Troops Mop Up More Communities (photos) / Soyinka: The Chauvinist Bitterness For The Empowerment Of Women In Nigeria / Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Soyinka: The Mad Old Professor (MOP) by Nobody: 9:38am On Jul 23, 2013
op
when you can write like this,i can listen to your verbal tirade.

[b]In vain your bangles cast
Charmed circles at my feet
I am Abiku, calling for the first
And the repeated time

Must I weep for goats and cowries
For palm oil and the sprinkled ash?
Yams do not sprout in amulets
To earth Abiku's limbs

So when the snail is burnt in his hell
Whet the heated fragment, brand me
Deeply on the breast - you must know him
When Abiku calls again

I am the squirrel teeth, cracked
The riddle of the palm; remember
This, and dig me deeper still into
The god's swollen foot

Once and the repeated time, ageless
Though I puke, and when you pour
Libations, each finger points me near
The way I came, where

The ground is wet with mourning
White dew suckles flesh-birds
Evening befriends the spider, trapping
Flies in wine-froth

Night, and Abiku sucks the oil
From lamps. Mothers! I'll be the
suppliant snake coiled on the doorstep
Yours the killing cry

The ripest fruit was saddest;
When I crept, the warmth was cloying.
In silence of webs, Abiku moans, shaping
Mounds from the yolk.

"Koko Oloro"

Dolorous kno
Plead for me
Farm or hill
Plead for me
Stream and wind
Take my voice
Home or road
Plead for me
On this shoot, I
Bind your leaves
Stalk and bud
Berries three
On the threshold
Cast my voice
Knot of bitters
Plead for me.

"Death in the Dawn"

Traveller, you must set out
At dawn. And wipe your feet upon
The dog-nose wetness of earth.

Let sunrise quench your lamps, and watch
Faint brush pricklings in the sky light
Cottoned feet to break the early earthworm
On the hoe. Now shadows stretch with sap
Not twilight's death and sad prostration

This soft kindling, soft receding breeds
Racing joys and apprehensions for
A naked day, burdened hulks retract,
Stoop to the mist in faceless throng
to wake the silent markets - swift, mute
Processions on grey byways....

On this
Coutnerpane, it was -
Sudden winter at the death
Of dawn's lone trumpeter, cascade
Of white feather-flakes, but it proved
A futile rite. Propitiation sped
Grimly on, before.

The right foot for joy, the left, dread
And the mother prayed, Child
May you never walk
When the road waits, famished

Traveller you must set forth
At dawn
I promise marvels of the holy hour
Presages as the white cock's flapped
Perverse impalement - as who would dare
The wrathful wings of man's Progression....

But such another Wraith! Brother,
Silenced in the startled hug of
Your invention - is this mocked grimace
This closed contortion - I?
[/b]
Re: Soyinka: The Mad Old Professor (MOP) by Willy4Willy: 9:55am On Jul 23, 2013
APC Yorubas VS Akpomeme
Re: Soyinka: The Mad Old Professor (MOP) by chakpe: 9:58am On Jul 23, 2013
anago12: if in your definition a person like wole is mad then I wanna forever be a looney. but the manatees and shepopotami you worship can't even measure up to his shoelace in all ramifications. when the south western folks enter this thread hope you will be able to stand the heat in the kitchen.

so wetin b d diff btw mad and loony? is like ur brain dey ur anus like ur MOP? ...one fact stands; she's ur 1st lady and not even ur MOP or ur miserable self can alter dat! if MOP is so good enough let him field himself for the next general elections otherwise, let him forever keep his gutters shut!
Re: Soyinka: The Mad Old Professor (MOP) by Nobody: 10:01am On Jul 23, 2013
Willy4Willy: APC Yorubas VS Akpomeme

its more of yorubas(brain working dudes) vs others (soldout citizens).
Re: Soyinka: The Mad Old Professor (MOP) by Willy4Willy: 10:01am On Jul 23, 2013
chakpe:
so wetin b d diff btw mad and loony? is like ur brain dey ur anus like ur MOP? ...one fact stands; she's ur 1st lady and not even ur MOP or ur miserable self can alter dat! if MOP is so good enough let him field himself for the next general elections otherwise, let him forever keep his gutters shut!
Cheiii Anago12, Chakpe don finish u
Re: Soyinka: The Mad Old Professor (MOP) by ehvez(m): 10:02am On Jul 23, 2013
you guys dont get fact before post do more research first
Re: Soyinka: The Mad Old Professor (MOP) by Willy4Willy: 10:03am On Jul 23, 2013
anago12:
its more of yorubas(brain working dudes) vs others (soldout citizens).
yeah, Yoruba brain working dudes (YOBRAWODU) Vs Akpomeme
Re: Soyinka: The Mad Old Professor (MOP) by Nobody: 10:10am On Jul 23, 2013
chakpe:

I pass, the dosage of haterine in your bloodstream is suicidal.
Re: Soyinka: The Mad Old Professor (MOP) by fankasibe: 10:15am On Jul 23, 2013
anago12:

when soyinka spoke against buhari y'all called him Jesus now when he is coming hard on your deity he is deranged. fyi wole won't stop talking till shepopotamus learn to be a lady before being a first lady. get a copy of and the man die and know the person you guys are dealing with he has been fighting oppression and injustice when you were still a spermatozoa.
spermatozoa? Chai u are a badt man faa.... Soyinka has already made his mark in his father's land, it's now time for us.
Re: Soyinka: The Mad Old Professor (MOP) by eio2013: 10:19am On Jul 23, 2013
I used to admire this man so much but he has lost my admiration and respect.
I'm not surprised at his insulting someone's wife. Afterall, he has married and divorced 3 women already. What does that tell u?
HE IS A BLOODY ACN MEMBER. HE SPOKE AGAINST BUHARI TO DISCOURAGE HIS INVOLVEMENT WITH ACN abi APC....
Re: Soyinka: The Mad Old Professor (MOP) by Willy4Willy: 10:24am On Jul 23, 2013
eio2013: I used to admire this man so much but he has lost my admiration and respect.
I'm not surprised at his insulting someone's wife. Afterall, he has married and divorced 3 women already. What does that tell u?
HE IS A BLOODY ACN MEMBER. HE SPOKE AGAINST BUHARI TO DISCOURAGE HIS INVOLVEMENT WITH ACN abi APC....
I like Soyinka but the daughter of Abacha called him Mad Old Prof (MOD) or Mouth Old Disease (MOD)
Re: Soyinka: The Mad Old Professor (MOP) by Gialmine(f): 10:27am On Jul 23, 2013
Olaolufred:

I love this Hero.

Remember seeing him in MMA departure in 2009.

Epitome of wisdom. One of the best Nigeria ever had.

He is actually super-normal.

Except that your reasoning is too low to catch up.

No problem, that is why you see pupils taking last in a classroom.

We are not evenly endowed. Soyinka is far beyond your reasoning level.

Sorry o, but truth told already.
ONE MILLION LIIIIIIIKES!
ehie: op
when you can write like this,i can listen to your verbal tirade.

[b]In vain your bangles cast
Charmed circles at my feet
I am Abiku, calling for the first
And the repeated time

Must I weep for goats and cowries
For palm oil and the sprinkled ash?
Yams do not sprout in amulets
To earth Abiku's limbs

So when the snail is burnt in his hell
Whet the heated fragment, brand me
Deeply on the breast - you must know him
When Abiku calls again

I am the squirrel teeth, cracked
The riddle of the palm; remember
This, and dig me deeper still into
The god's swollen foot

Once and the repeated time, ageless
Though I puke, and when you pour
Libations, each finger points me near
The way I came, where

The ground is wet with mourning
White dew suckles flesh-birds
Evening befriends the spider, trapping
Flies in wine-froth

Night, and Abiku sucks the oil
From lamps. Mothers! I'll be the
suppliant snake coiled on the doorstep
Yours the killing cry

The ripest fruit was saddest;
When I crept, the warmth was cloying.
In silence of webs, Abiku moans, shaping
Mounds from the yolk.

"Koko Oloro"

Dolorous kno
Plead for me
Farm or hill
Plead for me
Stream and wind
Take my voice
Home or road
Plead for me
On this shoot, I
Bind your leaves
Stalk and bud
Berries three
On the threshold
Cast my voice
Knot of bitters
Plead for me.

"Death in the Dawn"

Traveller, you must set out
At dawn. And wipe your feet upon
The dog-nose wetness of earth.

Let sunrise quench your lamps, and watch
Faint brush pricklings in the sky light
Cottoned feet to break the early earthworm
On the hoe. Now shadows stretch with sap
Not twilight's death and sad prostration

This soft kindling, soft receding breeds
Racing joys and apprehensions for
A naked day, burdened hulks retract,
Stoop to the mist in faceless throng
to wake the silent markets - swift, mute
Processions on grey byways....

On this
Coutnerpane, it was -
Sudden winter at the death
Of dawn's lone trumpeter, cascade
Of white feather-flakes, but it proved
A futile rite. Propitiation sped
Grimly on, before.

The right foot for joy, the left, dread
And the mother prayed, Child
May you never walk
When the road waits, famished

Traveller you must set forth
At dawn
I promise marvels of the holy hour
Presages as the white cock's flapped
Perverse impalement - as who would dare
The wrathful wings of man's Progression....

But such another Wraith! Brother,
Silenced in the startled hug of
Your invention - is this mocked grimace
This closed contortion - I?
[/b]

[img][/img]

Re: Soyinka: The Mad Old Professor (MOP) by Nobody: 10:36am On Jul 23, 2013
you can obviously see,

Soyinka is too good for Nigeria,too smart for Nigeria,that is what you get get when you are in the society that celebrates mediocrity and you are a genius,

you are always a fish out of water...always out of place,the ones that envy you will try to belittle you,the ones that dont understand you will always abuse you...

Just a stanza of his poem is something all the mediocre insult throwers will never in their entire generation lifetime create,they cannot even create an original sentence that is artistic...so who frigging cares,only people who operate on the same wavelength that they are..

Nigeria is too poor for intellectually for Soyinks,HE BELONGS AMONG THE CREAM OF THE CROP OF THE INTELLECTUAL ELITE OF THE WORLD,NOT IN A COUNTRY THAT DOESNT KNOW ITS LEFT FROM ITS RIGHT.

when Soyina was in his prime,he conversed with the likes of Franz Fanon,Patrice Lumumba,radical ideological nation changers..i really don't see why he should stoop to teh level of answering dumb people all who will live and die for local politics,religious bickering,what have you not.
Re: Soyinka: The Mad Old Professor (MOP) by Damsman10(m): 10:41am On Jul 23, 2013
anago12: if in your definition a person like wole is mad then I wanna forever be a looney. but the manatees and shepopotami you worship can't even measure up to his shoelace in all ramifications. when the south western folks enter this thread hope you will be able to stand the heat in the kitchen.
10 likes
Re: Soyinka: The Mad Old Professor (MOP) by shejane: 10:43am On Jul 23, 2013
is only a person who didt value knowledge wil cal wole a mad man, writing is a very hard tin 2 do nd d man has proved himsef 2 b more dan gud, wen patience decide 2 behaviour lyk a woman dan she wil get d respect accord 2 a woman bt 4 now dat woman deserve nuffn nt even 4m a new born baby. is okirika d 1st place 2 demolished? wots d noise abt? oda places der demolished nko, wot hapened 2 dose pple? since patience is 2 much 4 gej 2 handle dan ders no wrong in anoda man doing dat job.
Re: Soyinka: The Mad Old Professor (MOP) by Willy4Willy: 10:49am On Jul 23, 2013
Yorubas, Akpomeme is coming
Re: Soyinka: The Mad Old Professor (MOP) by Nobody: 10:51am On Jul 23, 2013
Lol @ madame shepopotamus cheesy prof. Badt gan grin
Re: Soyinka: The Mad Old Professor (MOP) by Gialmine(f): 11:01am On Jul 23, 2013
ehie: you can obviously see,

Soyinka is too good for Nigeria,too smart for Nigeria,that is what you get get when you are in the society that celebrates mediocrity and you are a genius,

you are always a fish out of water...always out of place,the ones that envy you will try to belittle you,the ones that dont understand you will always abuse you...

Just a stanza of his poem is something all the mediocre insult throwers will never in their entire generation lifetime create,they cannot even create an original sentence that is artistic...so who frigging cares,only people who operate on the same wavelength that they are..

Nigeria is too poor for intellectually for Soyinks,HE BELONGS AMONG THE CREAM OF THE CROP OF THE INTELLECTUAL ELITE OF THE WORLD,NOT IN A COUNTRY THAT DOESNT KNOW ITS LEFT FROM ITS RIGHT.

when Soyina was in his prime,he conversed with the likes of Franz Fanon,Patrice Lumumba,radical ideological nation changers..i really don't see why he should stoop to teh level of answering dumb people all who will live and die for local politics,religious bickering,what have you not.
T̶̲̥̅ђΐ§ gurl,,,im b like sey u ß winch! Na evryfin wey dey my mind u dey yarn
You couldn't have avowed that better!

Re: Soyinka: The Mad Old Professor (MOP) by Babalegba(m): 11:02am On Jul 23, 2013
This particular thread has turned me into an anti ibo person and I will now do my best to malign them on nairaland from now on and hey guys its ibo in yorubaland not igbo and we will continue to call you ibo and the louder your protest, the more ibo it is. I now also strongly dislike the sheppopotamus that married her hippopotamus lecturer,such moral bankruptcy.
Re: Soyinka: The Mad Old Professor (MOP) by Nobody: 11:11am On Jul 23, 2013
Babalegba: This particular thread has turned me into an anti ibo person and I will now do my best to malign them on nairaland from now on and hey guys its ibo in yorubaland not igbo and we will continue to call you ibo and the louder your protest, the more ibo it is. I now also strongly dislike the sheppopotamus that married her hippopotamus lecturer,such moral bankruptcy.

watch your back, one of the mod is so sympathetic to their cause and won't mind banning you for lengthy months for that. ask yourself where are the loudest anti igbo monikers not commenting anymore of late.
Re: Soyinka: The Mad Old Professor (MOP) by Willy4Willy: 11:13am On Jul 23, 2013
APC Yorubas VS Akpomeme
Re: Soyinka: The Mad Old Professor (MOP) by ogmask: 11:25am On Jul 23, 2013
anago12:

when soyinka spoke against buhari y'all called him Jesus now when he is coming hard on your deity he is deranged. fyi wole won't stop talking till shepopotamus learn to be a lady before being a first lady. get a copy of and the man die and know the person you guys are dealing with he has been fighting oppression and injustice when you were still a spermatozoa.

TOLD DEM
Re: Soyinka: The Mad Old Professor (MOP) by kingbang: 11:57am On Jul 23, 2013
No wonder Ole Soyinka is still a hustler at his age. Choosing to sell the little respect he had for handouts from Amaechi. Shame on the MOP! grin grin
Re: Soyinka: The Mad Old Professor (MOP) by ALTRUTH(m): 12:02pm On Jul 23, 2013
[quote
author=kingbang]No wonder Ole Soyinka is still a hustler at his age.
Choosing to sell the little respect he had for handouts from Amaechi.
Shame on the MOP! grin grin[/quote]

Kingbang, onye na kuwa isi Yoruba 1. Welcome. Why hav d mods given alpha man a life ban nd where is Kratickratus?
Re: Soyinka: The Mad Old Professor (MOP) by kingbang: 12:05pm On Jul 23, 2013
ALTRUTH:

Kingbang, onye na kuwa isi Yoruba 1. Welcome. Why hav d mods given alpha man a life ban nd where is Kratickratus?

Nwanne daalu. Anyi ga na agwa fa eziokwu. Ndi ara grin grin
Re: Soyinka: The Mad Old Professor (MOP) by ALTRUTH(m): 12:05pm On Jul 23, 2013
Akponeme has taken d self-deceived yaribawa vultures to d barbers including their prof.
Re: Soyinka: The Mad Old Professor (MOP) by jaso1(m): 12:14pm On Jul 23, 2013
The problem of the nation is so simple and is that we pretend to love one another when we are not.
Yoruba tribe is the only race in Nigeria that has been displaying high level of love and friendliness, this can be access everywhere in the part of the country.
When Ken Sarowiwa got his head on Abacha net, the only man who stood beside him before his life was finally taken by then dictator is Gani Fawehimi, of blessed memory. Prof. Wole Soyinka “whom now tag with bad name by you idiots - an ingrates that forgot all poverty channels went through in the past due to accidental wealth" played vital role in ensuring that Amnesty was given to South South West product. It's this same Yoruba that made the sitting president that you cows rally round to finished by not telling him right things to do and how he should not quickly forget the role played by save Nigeria Group (SNG),spearheaded by pastor Tunde Bakare, a yoruba man. I think anybody who speaks in support of Jonathan wife by condemning those standing by the truth is just a capital Idiot, whom lack the knowledge both past and present records toward good Nigeria that every well-meaning Nigerian striving for .

1 Like

Re: Soyinka: The Mad Old Professor (MOP) by kingbang: 12:18pm On Jul 23, 2013
jas_o: The problem of the nation is so simple and is that we pretend to love one another when we are not.
Yoruba tribe is the only race in Nigeria that has been display high level of love and friendship, this can be access everywhere in the part of the country.
When Ken Sarowiwa got his head on Abacha net, the only man who stood beside him before his life was finally taken by then dictator is Gani Fawehimi, of blessed memory. Prof. Wole Soyinka “whom now tag with bad name by you idiots - an ingrates that forgot all surferness in the past due to accidental wealth" played vital role in ensuring that Amnesty was given to South South West product. It's this same Yoruba that made the sitting president that you cows rally round to finished by not telling him right things to do and how he should not quickly forget the role played by save Nigeria Group (SNG),spearheaded by pastor Tunde Bakare, a yoruba man. I think anybody who speaks in support of Jonathan wife by condemning those standing by the truth is just a capital IDIOT, whom lack the knowledge both past and present records toward good Nigeria that every well-meaning Nigerian striving for .

Does this your incomprehensible rubbish justify the verbal abuse on a lady? Was the MOP the only person to call PEJ to order? Why degenerate to name callings? Hide your head in shame dude, you and your MOP!
Re: Soyinka: The Mad Old Professor (MOP) by ladeski: 12:26pm On Jul 23, 2013
akpomeme:

Senility comes with age. We will all get there some day. When we eventually become demented just like MOP, kindly have good hands to manage you at that age. His utterances are unguided, thus equates the utterances of a mad man.
See as body dey pepper you but you enjoyed it when you and MOP insulted another man's wife. Chauvinist bitter non entities showing their shallow senses here. grin
gbaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee skiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
Re: Soyinka: The Mad Old Professor (MOP) by ALTRUTH(m): 12:26pm On Jul 23, 2013
Wch
lov does yaribawa hav? Awolowo was d founder & father of tribalism
in dis country. Yaribawas hold d award 4 tribalism in Nigeria today,
dey are filled wit hatred 4 d Igbos 4 no reason.
Re: Soyinka: The Mad Old Professor (MOP) by ladeski: 12:28pm On Jul 23, 2013
kingbang:

Does this your incomprehensible rubbish justify the verbal abuse on a lady? Was the MOP the only person to call PEJ to order? Why degenerate to name callings? Hide your head in shame dude, you and your MOP!

you made perfect sense.

please replace lady with woman

God bless you as you do so
Re: Soyinka: The Mad Old Professor (MOP) by nokingasgod: 12:30pm On Jul 23, 2013
akpomeme: It is laughable for Prof. Wole Soyinka; a well-respected Statesman to demystify the grandeur of his personality on the basis of “standing on the side of truth” one too many times, on utterly whimsical state of affairs in Rivers state.

It is astonishing that such a man with seeming repute for knowledge and wisdom in socio-political affairs of Nigeria can no longer differentiate between personal attacks and elderly advice to our nation state.

Personal attacks in the sense that in a frail where Patience seems to be one of too many male players in the Rivers state crisis, Prof. Soyinka singled out the first lady to trash. Amaechi, who ordered the violent maiming of another Honourable member is yet berated by our selective elder statesman “Wole Soyinka”.

More so, as an elder statesman, his advice should have played a key role towards uniting warring factions than dividing Nigerians who may or may not have qualms with the utterances of the “Mad Old Professor -MOP” (Tweet by Dictator’s Daughter,July, 2013). Without remorse, the MOP went ahead to reiterate his earlier statement which brought about criticism of his perceived chauvinistic statement against the Girl Child and the Nigerian Woman.

In the MOP’s own words “People said I call her a domestic appendage, what’s the problem with that? What’s the problem with Madam Shepopotamus? The questions yet unanswered are: Who were Wole Soyinka’s wives? What were their experience as wives and mothers whilst being a domestic appendage to the MOP. Why do they all share a common history of being married and divorced to the “Mad Old Professor”?

The deliberate attempt by the MOP to do the cleaning of dirty politics played through his demeaning conjectural use of words against the first lady is very unbecoming of statesman. Indeed, the fickleness is worrisome. In an already divided entity such as ours, where ethnicity, religion and regions play a huge role in our political views, the MOP has added a new twist of sexism and thoughtless fancy utterances in order to satisfy his benefactors.

In my opinion, his lend voice so far, has been more entertaining than making any positive impact on the society. The correlation between the first lady’s actions and her physical attributes are two different issues but in the quest for buzzy headlines and less about being a father to warring factions, the MOP has demonstrated that he cannot be taken more seriously than the words associated to him. It takes a He-popotamus to know a She-popotamus.

Shakespeare was right after all, this is another ''tale told by an id-ot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing''

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (23) (Reply)

Aisha Buhari Visits Sheha Haiya, Wife Of Dubai Prime Minister (Photo) / El-Rufai Campaigns With Swag With His Convoy And Security Details (Photo) / Tinubu’s Victory: Bode George Reveals When He Will Leave Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.