Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,316 members, 7,829,755 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 11:23 AM

How Well Do You Park Your Vehicles? - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Well Do You Park Your Vehicles? (9491 Views)

Engine Oil Capacity For Your Vehicles / Post Pictures Of Your Vehicles Mpg(miles Per Gallon) / Where Do You Park Your Car? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Well Do You Park Your Vehicles? by mufutau55(m): 1:07am On Jul 29, 2013
uboma: It irritates when I see parked vehicles with the front tyres not in a straight position, they are either turned to the right or to the left. When parking my car, I ensure that the wheel is straight. How do you park yours?

Actually you are parking your car wrongly. Your front tires supposed to face right or left based on what side you are parked, either on a uphill, downhill or on levelled street.. You are supposed to park so that if the car rolls, it does not roll to the street or highway.. parking with the tyres facing the right or left will prevent this. If you ever drive overseas, that will make you FAIL your driving test in a jiffy.

Hajji Mufutau

2 Likes

Re: How Well Do You Park Your Vehicles? by Ghoxt: 1:48am On Jul 29, 2013
chimchim1:
I have bin driving 4 a long-time now though it has not happened to m̶̲̥̅ƹ bt I understand wat he's trying to say as it expected dt U̶̲̥̅̊ aя̩̥̊ε̲̣̣̣̥ d only same person on d road wen it comes to driving. I hope it makes some senses to U̶̲̥̅̊. ° • · ♥·♡ τнäиκ$♥·♡ · • °
Sane u meant Mr. Blackberry
Re: How Well Do You Park Your Vehicles? by delors(m): 3:37am On Jul 29, 2013
uboma: It irritates when I see parked vehicles with the front tyres not in a straight position, they are either turned to the right or to the left. When parking my car, I ensure that the wheel is straight. How do you park yours?
It doesnt really matter much. Depending on the terrain, if it is slopey, then it is advisable you slightly turn your wheel left or right even though the handbrake is pulled. It is part of driving lessons. So, it really doesn't matter whether it is straight or not..has no effect on anything IMO
Re: How Well Do You Park Your Vehicles? by delors(m): 3:38am On Jul 29, 2013
mufutau55:

Actually you are parking your car wrongly. Your front tires supposed to face right or left based on what side you are parked, either on a uphill, downhill or on levelled street.. You are supposed to park so that if the car rolls, it does not roll to the street or highway.. parking with the tyres facing the right or left will prevent this. If you ever drive overseas, that will make you FAIL your driving test in a jiffy.

Hajji Mufutau
Exactly my thought; exactly my point.
Re: How Well Do You Park Your Vehicles? by 190: 5:43am On Jul 29, 2013
Teletexter: HOW DOES THIS NOW AFFECT THE PRICE OF GARRI

Re: How Well Do You Park Your Vehicles? by vizion: 6:14am On Jul 29, 2013

however, if your parking on a hill, it is very wrong to straighten you tires, cause if the car rolls, it could do damage, see correct way (with pictures) to park on in hill in the link below.

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/driver/handbook/section2.8.3.shtml

Parking on a hill

When parking facing downhill, turn your front wheels towards the curb or right shoulder. This will keep the vehicle from rolling into traffic if the brakes become disengaged. (Diagram 2-43 A).

Turn the steering wheel to the left so the wheels are turned towards the road if you are facing uphill with a curb. The tires will catch the curb if it rolls backward (Diagram 2-43 B).

When facing uphill without a curb, turn the wheels sharply to the right. If the vehicle rolls, it will go off the road rather than into traffic (Diagram 2-43 C).

When parking on a hill, always set the parking brake and move the gear selector into park, or shift into first or reverse gear if your vehicle has a manual transmission. Turn off the engine and remove the key. Check for traffic before opening the door and remember to lock your vehicle.

1 Like

Re: How Well Do You Park Your Vehicles? by Godson201333(m): 6:31am On Jul 29, 2013
I park my car very well because I have my common sense!
Re: How Well Do You Park Your Vehicles? by helphelp: 9:11am On Jul 29, 2013
UWC.

uboma:

Thanks for providing the link. The uphill parking is well understood now but parking on a level road with the wheels not in a straight position is still something some drivers need to work on.
Re: How Well Do You Park Your Vehicles? by Nobody: 9:31am On Jul 29, 2013
Somorin is very correct with regards to pointing the wheels to the kerb in the direction of gradient (if there's one). Parking brakes can fail, true. This is also encouraged by Driving Standards Agencies, who have little interest in mechanical wear. But with a lot of these cars being automatics, the P position is selected for parking anyway, and unlike the brakes, this is a mechanical lock inside the transmission, a pawl than drops onto a slot or cog. An automatic automobile in P ain't going anywhere.

The electric pump used in the Toyota MR2 (which I'm using in my Audi A4 V8 DTM) is not exempt either. Once fluid pressure is built up in the pressure side (full lock) and the motor's killed, that pressure remains, it will only drop if there's a slow leak.

And of course with manual, you can select 1st gear, in addition to the parking brake being engaged, to prevent roll away on a gradient.

When you turn your wheels full lock, the natural self-centering built into the rack tries to move the wheels to a more neutral position. With power-assisted steering, more so, due to hydraulic resistance. If you hold your wheels at full lock, then switch off the engine, the wheels kick sharply to a more neutral position. There will be hydraulic pressure maintained in the high-pressure line (pump to rack). This is why when you try disengaging the steering lock, you need to excert considerable force by turning the wheel further full lock, otherwise you can't turn the key.

This same force is held by the steering lock, and causes premature wear on the locking pawl. Excess pressure held in the hydraulic high pressure line will eventually damage it. Bulges, due to weakened hoses will eventually rupture, dumping the fluid. In more extreme cases, the seals in the high pressure side of the steering rack or box will fail.

Of course, everyone's responsible for their own automobile, and can treat them as they wish, I see some members on here sneering at this thread, and dismissing all they've read. Again, their choice. But when they decide they require assistance, we know where they'll be heading for, and help! threads will spring up like a rash.

Drive safe everyone!

1 Like

Re: How Well Do You Park Your Vehicles? by Nobody: 9:45am On Jul 29, 2013
It wasn't easy learning how to make my tyres straight but after it started irritating my sister And i got called down many times to repark I made it a habit.

1 Like

Re: How Well Do You Park Your Vehicles? by chemashie(m): 10:43am On Jul 29, 2013
life_style: Don't have a car yet but when i buy one, i will park well.
My friend park well joor!
Re: How Well Do You Park Your Vehicles? by uboma(m): 11:55am On Jul 29, 2013
Siena: Somorin is very correct with regards to pointing the wheels to the kerb in the direction of gradient (if there's one). Parking brakes can fail, true. This is also encouraged by Driving Standards Agencies, who have little interest in mechanical wear. But with a lot of these cars being automatics, the P position is selected for parking anyway, and unlike the brakes, this is a mechanical lock inside the transmission, a pawl than drops onto a slot or cog. An automatic automobile in P ain't going anywhere.

The electric pump used in the Toyota MR2 (which I'm using in my Audi A4 V8 DTM) is not exempt either. Once fluid pressure is built up in the pressure side (full lock) and the motor's killed, that pressure remains, it will only drop if there's a slow leak.

And of course with manual, you can select 1st gear, in addition to the parking brake being engaged, to prevent roll away on a gradient.

When you turn your wheels full lock, the natural self-centering built into the rack tries to move the wheels to a more neutral position. With power-assisted steering, more so, due to hydraulic resistance. If you hold your wheels at full lock, then switch off the engine, the wheels kick sharply to a more neutral position. There will be hydraulic pressure maintained in the high-pressure line (pump to rack). This is why when you try disengaging the steering lock, you need to excert considerable force by turning the wheel further full lock, otherwise you can't turn the key.

This same force is held by the steering lock, and causes premature wear on the locking pawl. Excess pressure held in the hydraulic high pressure line will eventually damage it. Bulges, due to weakened hoses will eventually rupture, dumping the fluid. In more extreme cases, the seals in the high pressure side of the steering rack or box will fail.

Of course, everyone's responsible for their own automobile, and can treat them as they wish, I see some members on here sneering at this thread, and dismissing all they've read. Again, their choice. But when they decide they require assistance, we know where they'll be heading for, and help! threads will spring up like a rash.

Drive safe everyone!

1 million likes. Very informative piece, coming from an expert in the field.
Re: How Well Do You Park Your Vehicles? by brat4222(m): 5:27pm On Jul 30, 2013
(Smiling)I'm guilty of this. I for one like to park with my wheels turned full to the road especially when parked on a busy road. Reason? To keep Okada, cars, pedestrians and truck pushers from scratching my car. And it works.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Buying From Copart, IAAI Or Auction Export / 6 Expressions Of A Failing Alternator / What's Your Wrong Car Painting Experience And In Which City?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.