Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,788 members, 7,820,761 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:06 PM

Lagosians React To Ban On Clothes Spreading - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagosians React To Ban On Clothes Spreading (35311 Views)

Nigerians React To Martin Onovo's Interview On Channels Today - Video / Lagosians React To Plan By Ambode To Purchase Helicopters For Traffic | Tweets / Lagosians React To Jonathan's Campaign In Lagos On Twitter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagosians React To Ban On Clothes Spreading by Nobody: 6:33pm On Aug 04, 2013
Nawaoo! i no fit shout
Re: Lagosians React To Ban On Clothes Spreading by lymelyte(m): 6:51pm On Aug 04, 2013
The truth is that,for change to take place,the price need to be paid.It is the price d "have not" are paying now(for real).
For lagos to become that mega city it dreamt of,some odd but futuristic decision have to be taken.That is the way life goes. smiley
Re: Lagosians React To Ban On Clothes Spreading by tpia5: 6:55pm On Aug 04, 2013
gboss4sure: Whatever Fashola do he shouldn't forget that this is Africa and we have our own way of life, I have no problem with people hanging cloths outside but i have a problem with those ladies that hang their pants and bra outside, Fashola should make the law biddable to underwear's alone and let us be the Africans we are. Spreading cloths outside runs in the blood of every Nigerian even all of the people that's ranting ans supporting Fashola here, do spread their cloths outside if you don't spread your cloths outside then do you spread it inside your sitting room? Remember that a balcony is also outside and don't think your cloths will be safe if you hang it in your balcony because one thing Nigerian law enforcers knows very well is how to utilize a law to any extent they like. When the shall start seizing cloths make sure you don't come here to rant.

Bro, there is nothing african about hanging your clothes on the highway.

I have never seen such, not even done by my uber african grandmas from the village.

They are more african than you and still cant be accused of such a crime.

Eod.
Re: Lagosians React To Ban On Clothes Spreading by ZACHIE: 7:07pm On Aug 04, 2013
It is gerting interesting.
I saw one house where wrappers and agbada were hung on hangers to dry.
Compliance is happening.
Re: Lagosians React To Ban On Clothes Spreading by jdilight(m): 7:56pm On Aug 04, 2013
this lagos na wah o o
Re: Lagosians React To Ban On Clothes Spreading by bolayei: 8:39pm On Aug 04, 2013
Na wa o..,so our leaders expect nigerians to buy driers to dry their clothes without electricity? or dem no sabi say for white man counttry in the summer na outside dem dey dry clothes? I ve always said i visit america and europe is not the same as living in america and europe, u guys need come see the kind mosquitoes wey dey attack us here dis summer, dem be like ajebota. well the law is violating human right, it should not see the light of day

1 Like

Re: Lagosians React To Ban On Clothes Spreading by maigemuu: 8:45pm On Aug 04, 2013
I will go with d govt on dis.the rate at which iya saki n iya solo dey tek spread pata, putu(plural for pata)and expired clothings in a wayward and unkempt manner in my area in my street is not just alarming but shocking.odours emanating can cause food poisoning findings reveal it can cause pataliasis a disease that erodes d mind and affect proper tinking.I wld lead d task force on dis.

1 Like

Re: Lagosians React To Ban On Clothes Spreading by sonyeah(m): 9:12pm On Aug 04, 2013
They just want to turn Lagos to yankee at all cost sha. Choi!

1 Like

Re: Lagosians React To Ban On Clothes Spreading by lamp5: 9:26pm On Aug 04, 2013
Human phycholo contains many dualities, one of them being that even while poeple understand the need of change, knowing how important it is for country,state and individual to be occasionally renewed,they are irritated and upset by changes that affect them personally. Change is necessary. But Nigerian government should obey human right . Stop deportation and enforcement of life style without any alternative.
Re: Lagosians React To Ban On Clothes Spreading by Nobody: 9:46pm On Aug 04, 2013
as a matter of fact i pay almost those here in the u.s wen salary come like this you don't see anything, but they use this money to maintain and make everywhere fine
AGBOR-MAN:
The main reason our Africa continent is still backward is "inability to change".
We blacks hate to change. We like to be doing the same thing but expects a different result. Insane.
The western world is "change, change, change". Africa is "no change, no change, no change",
Its our tradition not to change. Tradition my ass-hole.

Gov Fashiola should please as a matter of urgency introduce:
House Tax.
Car Tax
Election Tax
Water Tax
Security Tax
Waste collection tax
Petrol tax.
Car parking tax

Etc Etc Etc

Pls don't abuse me oh. I'm just using my citizen freedom of speech. Thks & have a nice day.
Re: Lagosians React To Ban On Clothes Spreading by ayujahndon: 10:05pm On Aug 04, 2013
I remember very early in this Fash administration, Abubakar(IG of Police0 was arresting ladies for wearing spaghetti tops etc. I predicted then that boys who sag will be arrested and very soon too that men who do not iron their clothes properly and polish their shoes will be picked up grin

We are getting there gradually!!!

2 Likes

Re: Lagosians React To Ban On Clothes Spreading by khrisponty(m): 10:58pm On Aug 04, 2013
bobosydney: If we want to move forward , we need to stop living like 17 century or living like backward people. We need to stop hanging clothes on the fence or balcony . Many Nigerians complain that our leaders didn't develop our country but some our people never stop to live like somebody from bush. So is Fashola gone too far to say that ?

So living without things like; Electricity, water, health care and security is of which century exactly? Brother or sister, we are still living in that same bush you think you have left.

2 Likes

Re: Lagosians React To Ban On Clothes Spreading by Jtunes01(m): 11:36pm On Aug 04, 2013
this idea IS VOID SO FASHOLA SHOULD GO AND REST
Re: Lagosians React To Ban On Clothes Spreading by solidman59(m): 11:41pm On Aug 04, 2013
@femi and Uche I hate to say dis but u have got to be stupid to say all dat nonsense. Where do u two spread your own clothes? One thing is dat we let these monsters in d guise of government to eat our money and still trample on us anyhow they like. If fashola doesn't knw what else to do in Lagos he should better step down and let another person wit better innovation to take over cuz I think he's run out of ideas. What rubbish?? There are other pressing needs of Nigerians and Lagosians for heaven's sake

1 Like

Re: Lagosians React To Ban On Clothes Spreading by hardbody: 11:43pm On Aug 04, 2013
xynerise: Its awkward spreading clothes on the veranda. Backyard is better, where no visitors can see them.

But some houses in Lagos state have no fence. Your backyard is another man's veranda grin

Eko o ni bane ra ra.
Re: Lagosians React To Ban On Clothes Spreading by solidman59(m): 12:01am On Aug 05, 2013
ayujahndon: I remember very early in this Fash administration, Abubakar(IG of Police0 was arresting ladies for wearing spaghetti tops etc. I predicted then that boys who sag will be arrested and very soon too that men who do not iron their clothes properly and polish their shoes will be picked up grin

yeah and soon fashola will tell us boys to barb only his type of hairstyle. grin grin

1 Like

Re: Lagosians React To Ban On Clothes Spreading by tpia5: 12:39am On Aug 05, 2013
ayujahndon: I remember very early in this Fash administration, Abubakar(IG of Police0 was arresting ladies for wearing spaghetti tops etc. I predicted then that boys who sag will be arrested and very soon too that men who do not iron their clothes properly and polish their shoes will be picked up grin

We've already gotten there!

People complained about ladies being cautioned over inappropriate dressing, and what did we have after that?

Even more inappropriate dressing.

Having your breasts hanging out and on full display to all and sundry, is now considered normal attire.

At this rate, i guess everybody should wait until people start hanging their clothes in airport lounges or on the govt parastatal lawns before anyone moves a whisker.
Re: Lagosians React To Ban On Clothes Spreading by oneliegeria: 7:20am On Aug 05, 2013
grin what's the penalty for clothes spreading deportation?
Re: Lagosians React To Ban On Clothes Spreading by londoner: 7:55am On Aug 05, 2013
ebamma: .see gbagaun, which new jersey u dey talk of, na dey one were dey for oshodi abi?

Even in the Uk and here is Australia, people hang clothes outside to dry. Its usually at the back, as government housing an developers usually provide a small outdoor patio or garden. Some people do have that space at the front of the house and it is visible to the passer by.

I agree, its not nice to see, but maybe they could all use tumble dryers if they had constant electricity.

I actually find that civil servant housing in Nigeria has some of the worst for display of clothing outside.

It does look ugly, but give people an option, at least.

[b][/b]

Re: Lagosians React To Ban On Clothes Spreading by Nobody: 8:04am On Aug 05, 2013
Just spread my druuuuuuxxxx outside! angry angry
Re: Lagosians React To Ban On Clothes Spreading by gboodoo(m): 8:09am On Aug 05, 2013
Agreed it distort d aesthetic nature of d environment but I think d first thing d govt should hv done is 2 do sumtin abt those ancient houses dat doesn't hv a backyard. Where will people living in such building dry their cloth. Sometimes Fashola plays wit d gudwill of lagosian. It is gud 2 aspire 2 be like d advanced countries but we must put basic amenities in place. Let us solve d press issues first then we will nt nid a promulgation 2 tell people what is gud or bad. Most people dry clothes on d fences for lack of alternatives.

1 Like

Re: Lagosians React To Ban On Clothes Spreading by BonnyDominic: 8:36am On Aug 05, 2013
More kudos to d Lagos state Gvt 4 their good works, but i feel dey should av a measure of given b4 taking nt taking witout giving at most times. I read thru d lines of d story nd it was 'No spreading of cloths outside' so d use of lines(ropes) is out of it, we dont need a sutsayer to tell us dat an average lagosian cannot proccure nd maintain a washing/drycleaning machine compare to d developed country wea d well being of d citizen is d priority of d Govt. So d Governor in his dreams should profer solutions, luk at d subsequent weight of his Laws on d pple, see to dea comfort b4 taking an addicted attitude away 4rm dem. Anything worth doing is what doing well.
Re: Lagosians React To Ban On Clothes Spreading by dougivilla(m): 9:01am On Aug 05, 2013
Fashola is now like 'a bull in a china shop'. His second term is filled with 'fightings' and anti masses laws: not only did he have issues with medical Doctors, Okada riders Alaba and Idumota traders and LASU students, he made the one sided trafic laws that has all forms of punishment for defaulting road users, with non on the government that has failed to put the roads in order to avoid some of the offences in the first place, he 'deported' fellow Nigerians inside Nigeria, he brought about some funny land use laws and many other anti people laws including this 'ban on spreading of clothes' law.

What exactly does Fashola want? A better lagos? Then he should start by ensuring that all State roads in Lagos are in good condition, Omo-niles stop harrassing those trying to build houses, Agberos stop terrorising road users, the orile to Badagry road that has taken his team almost 2 terms of 4 years to avhieve 30% success is handled with the speed with which his traffic laws were implimented. He can then proceed to ensure steady power in Lagos, security of life and properties, food security, youth employment etc. Thats when beautification will make sense; afterall what does a beautiful lagos mean to a jobless, hungry and frustrated lagosian?

2 Likes

Re: Lagosians React To Ban On Clothes Spreading by austinebode: 9:46am On Aug 05, 2013
This law can't hold water.
They said people should not play music load in public.. What happened?

Lagos state govt should be serious about Laws jare
Re: Lagosians React To Ban On Clothes Spreading by spectator2001: 10:17am On Aug 05, 2013
Clothes spreading ban and other trivial issues like dis should be the least of any sensible individual who truly contested an election to govern a state as a governor who wasn't imposed on the people of the state. Let's thrash out this issues constructively like humans and not lesser animals.

FIRST- In terms of a free and fair electioneering environment, could BABATUNDE FASHOLA defeat a candidate like FUNSHO WILLIAMS? The answer is pretty clear for us to discern hence the elimination of FUNSHO WILLIAMS. Fashola wasn't a politician, Fashola doesn't understand governance, he was imposed as the Governor of the State by Tinubu to cover his shameful acts committed while in office,nothing more. As a thoroughbred politician saddled with the responsibility of governing a state like Lagos, every decision u take should be properly considered befor implementation, the pros and cons should be weighed before u come out to display ur ineffectiveness with such magnitude thereby exhibiting traits of a dictator no matter how supposedly "good" ur intentions for the masses are.

SECONDLY- If u truly wanna change people's orientation in the society on how they act and operate, u don't bring about such changes by conveying ur intentions like a draconian overlord or a dictator. Let me at this junction tell u dat his intentions for a mega city would be better achieved if he as the Chief Executive Officer of the State is ready to put in place effective infrastructures that would stimulate such desired changes amongst the citizenry without imposing untold hardships on the people of the lower class in the Society. What do I mean by effective infrastructures in place?
The following event I'm about to narrate should give u an insight as to what I refer to as effective infrastructures. Delta State Government recently upgraded some secondary school structures by redesigning and beautifying these selected secondary schools with Very old and dilapidated structures to more environmental friendly structures and landscaped areas with aesthetically appealing classrooms and Laboratories together with ancillary facilities. These Schools which were eyesores hitherto in time past became so beautiful that it could be compared to these expensive private Secondary Schools we have in Lagos. Do u know that the Students of these schools before now who wore rugged and dirty school uniforms to these schools before the upgrading now dress so smart in neat uniforms complete with socks and neat sandals that their parents bought for them so as to look neat as other children in the schools? The neatness of theses secondary school Students marvelled me so much that I couldn't silence my Joy but to inform anybody willing to listen that the Governor didnt force the Students to start dressing neatly like their counterparts in expensive private Schools but simply placed a structure in place for the students to adapt to. The Students on the other hand saw no need to retain their dirty looking uniforms and rugged sandals in upgraded structures and neat environment as they saw the need to upgrade themselves too just like their structures has bn upgraded. In essence, the point here is the GOVERNOR DIDN'T FORCE THE STUDENTS TO GO AND GET NEW UNIFORMS OR BE EXPELLED FROM SUCH INSTITUTIONS IF THEY DON'T DRESS NEATLY AS THEIR COUNTERPARTS IN THE SURROUNDING PRIVATE SCHOOLS BUT SIMPLY PLACED A STRUCTURE IN PLACE TO FACILITATE THE DESIRED CHANGE! FAHOLA SHOULD ADDRESS FUNDAMENTAL ISSUES AND THE NECESSARY CHANGES GONNA FALL IN PLACE AT THE RIGHT TIME. Clothes Spreading ban by a governor of any state in Nigeria in this present state of affairs of the nation smirks of JOBLESSNESS on the part of the Chief Executive of the State as there are other pressing issues requiring urgent attentions suchs as Security Issues, Traffic decongestion policies just to mention a few that is besieging the State of Lagos.

This is just my take on this issue. Constructive responses shall be welcomed.

3 Likes

Re: Lagosians React To Ban On Clothes Spreading by olasha1(m): 11:30am On Aug 05, 2013
not dat this man is not working but, im jst tired of fashola dis fashola dat, nawa oooo na only him want to execute d whole tings or he b God?..abeg he shld leave some work 4 d next coming governor..was Rome built in a day? he is just making life unbearable 4 lagoshians. aaah

1 Like

Re: Lagosians React To Ban On Clothes Spreading by authenticblack: 11:42am On Aug 05, 2013
Why do we all complain about Lagos laws,Lagos government does not make laws that wont benefit the state. Any one caught in this act will be fined, more money for state. But come to think about the smoking of Hemp/Marijuana in public places, the government can not do anything to that. So sorry for us Lagosian
Re: Lagosians React To Ban On Clothes Spreading by tpia5: 11:58am On Aug 05, 2013
londoner:

Even in the Uk and here is Australia, people hang clothes outside to dry. Its usually at the back, as government housing an developers usually provide a small outdoor patio or garden. Some people do have that space at the front of the house and it is visible to the passer by.

I agree, its not nice to see, but maybe they could all use tumble dryers if they had constant electricity.

I actually find that civil servant housing in Nigeria has some of the worst for display of clothing outside.

It does look ugly, but give people an option, at least.

[b][/b]

Which option are you looking for, do houses not have backyards?

The picture you posted does not look like a front yard, and even if it is, does not seem to be facing a highway or on a major road.

We do not have to wait until people start snapping unsavoury photos before doing the right thing.
Re: Lagosians React To Ban On Clothes Spreading by tpia5: 12:02pm On Aug 05, 2013
dougivilla:

What exactly does Fashola want? A better lagos? Then he should start by ensuring that all State roads in Lagos are in good condition, Omo-niles stop harrassing those trying to build houses, Agberos stop terrorising road users, the orile to Badagry road that has taken his team almost 2 terms of 4 years to avhieve 30% success is handled with the speed with which his traffic laws were implimented. He can then proceed to ensure steady power in Lagos, security of life and properties, food security, youth employment etc. Thats when beautification will make sense; afterall what does a beautiful lagos mean to a jobless, hungry and frustrated lagosian?

Why stay in lagos if you're jobless, frustrated and hungry?

And then you take offence when folks point this out?

As per the rest of your post, i saw a write up which said lagos was originally designed with amenities for 100,000 people, but the current number of people residing in lagos is now 14 million.

Do you want to analyze that?
Re: Lagosians React To Ban On Clothes Spreading by Nobody: 12:16pm On Aug 05, 2013
it will soon be a crime in Lagos to make love to your wife on certain days of the week

this people think they can legislate their way to being a 1st class city
Re: Lagosians React To Ban On Clothes Spreading by tpia5: 12:23pm On Aug 05, 2013
How do you think developed countries got their status?

Even south africa which majority of you want to run to at every opportunity, did they just get that way overnight?
Re: Lagosians React To Ban On Clothes Spreading by Nobody: 12:29pm On Aug 05, 2013
tpia@:
How do you think developed countries got their status?

Even south africa which majority of you want to run to at every opportunity, did they just get that way overnight?

They provide constant energy so that people can have the option of washer driers

and that said people still hang cloths outside at the back

a lot on the houses in London dont have balcony so no where to hang cloths in front anyway

those who want to fly must first learn how to walk

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Onitsha Is The Dirty Capital Of The World - Asari Dokubo (Video) / Thugs Teargassed As They Attempt To Loot Abuja Palliatives Warehouse / Punch, The Nation, Channels TV Are Still Using Twitter Despite Suspension

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.